• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 |OT| Pawnworld

Markio128

I’ve only reached the capital, but I’ve really enjoyed my time with DD2 so far. I’ve just been taking my time doing some side missions and wandering off the beaten track.

Reading the comments, I noticed few had chosen to be an archer, so that’s the vocation I opted for (I like to be a maverick). I have to say that it feels like a good choice because I can shoot goblins to shit from a distance, and let my mage, warrior and thief pawns do the up close and personal work. I just need to be careful that I don’t get cornered by a mob.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Ah man......was able to capture the very moment I cut off the snake tail of the Chimera. This game has such cool moments....

868E5377ACE122D8B95C2EE84B96CABB71B66140

4F03651D6006D3C2DD0356F70F60D299F2F47D71

This reminds me of my fav activity in the first game, parting hydras with their heads:
UMydZ3V.jpeg

Too bad there's no hydras in this game

Last edited:

DavidGzz

So, it happened to me. Can't believe my flesh and blood could take out a whole town. I had to use 3 wake stones on the important people in town. It's ok, I have 27 left lol

Draugoth

Gold Member
I had to instal la mod to find do one of the Sphinx Riddles, i like to play by the game rules but not like this, The Riddle of Wisdom s a goddamn waste of time.

This reminds me of my fav activity in the first game, parting hydras with their heads:
UMydZ3V.jpeg

Too bad there's no hydras in this game

There's a hydra artwork in the game's loading screens, which makes me think it will be in a DLC

Last edited:
I love that Capcom just said "fuck it" and put in a ton of sexy armor despite modern Western ideologies. I posted the bikini bottoms I found on day one (as I'm sure most people have seen on Pawns by now), but I just found this Trickster-exclusive top so you won't be seeing this on any pawns lol

SnlliB7.jpg

Yerd

I wish the functional map looked like the map in the pause menu. Also wish the giant black spots in the middle would go away.

Saiyan-Rox

So PC gamers whats the chances I can play this on 40-60 fps? i'm so out of the loop on PC specs and stuff but if my PC can play this better than my PS5 i'll get it on that.

Windows 11 (64 bit)
CPU Brand: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H with Radeon Graphics
Speed: 2895 MHz
16 logical processors
8 physical processors
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti Laptop GPU
Primary Display Resolution: 2560 x 1440
RAM: 32175 Mb

Skifi28

So PC gamers whats the chances I can play this on 40-60 fps? i'm so out of the loop on PC specs and stuff but if my PC can play this better than my PS5 i'll get it on that.

Windows 11 (64 bit)
16 logical processors
8 physical processors
The CPU is very close to the console cpu if I'm not mistaken and the gpu is quite a bit worse. The console version might actually be better in your case, but I'd wait for more people to weigh in.

Sentenza

I just crossed a Robot-something guy writing a 15 paragraphs essay on Era about how bummed out he was by the "repetitive nature" of Elden Ring and how much better this game is in comparison in attempting to do the same things... And HOLY SHIT I'm starting to wonder if I'm taking crazy pills, because I'm not seeing it.

If anything, it's the opposite. Even as someone who had a somewhat good opinion of DD1 and was greatly anticipating this sequel, the experience has largely been disappointing to me so far.

It's not just the dodgy performances, it's not just how many stupid design mistakes of the first have been repeated here with very little improvement, it's also the world feeling mostly empty, the NPC interaction being bare-boned on a good day, the map structure feeling like a network of tunnels more than an organic place, the lack of variety in enemies being easily noticeable (it feels like I've been facing the same 5 or 6 for the last ten hours).

Also, what's up with this RETARDED idea of creating an action RPG with a very extensive and detailed character creator and then limiting the player to ONE SINGLE character slot, with no option to raise any "alt character" unless you wipe your save file and delete your ongoing playthrough?
I don't even care of what's the rationale here. It's probably something to prevent the player from having multiple Pawns associated with a single account, but still... Who thought it was a good choice?
It's a textbook case of having a solution being far worse than the problem it's attempting to solve.

Majukun

lol had a delivery mission that devolved into a cart ambush first from a wolfman and some trolls...and then an overleveled griffon fell from the sky and started attacking everyone indiscriminately...and then just kinda lost interest and fled when night was close.

In the meanwhile the cart had left alone and i had to complete he delivery on foot

Markio128

My archer is currently running around in a pair of knickers that are somehow more defensive than the pants that I own. Hopefully I can find a highly defensive bra soon for the full set.

nemiroff

Gold Member
30+ hours now. This game is so close to being a masterpiece... The obvious flaws are ruining it just a tiny little bit...

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Dragon’s Dogma had a lot of post-launch content updates before Dark Arisen released. Wonder if they’re planning to do that again.

There's an entire section dedicated to DLC in the survey and suspicious content in the game (like the abudance of equipment with ice resistance when there's no enemies with ice based attacks) which makes me think they cut a good portion of the game to sell as DLC

DavidGzz

Windows 11 (64 bit)
16 logical processors
8 physical processors

I'm no expert but DLSS is working now so I think you could get 60frames when it matters instead of framey 30 on the laptop. You could always refund it on Steam if not and go console.

thief183

I'm no expert but DLSS is working now so I think you could get 60frames when it matters instead of framey 30 on the laptop. You could always refund it on Steam if not and go console.
After the patch for some reason my game goes really better, I went from 30 in the capital to 45/50 with dlss, and there are no artifacts anymore.

For reference my CPU is a 9900k, GPU 3080

DavidGzz

I'm 90 hours in and just now
After the patch for some reason my game goes really better, I went from 30 in the capital to 45/50 with dlss, and there are no artifacts anymore.

For reference my CPU is a 9900k, GPU 3080

Yeah, mine was fine but I got a huge boost. The patch rocked for PC.

SCB3

So I got to a place called the Checkpoint Rest town and, I fucking went the long back way into Bakbathal huh? this route would've been much easier

SCB3

So the combat, something that really irritates me is the lack of reaction sometimes, that and the enemies will straight up beeline it for you whilst ignoring the pawns and some will straight up jump full force at you, however do the same to them and they'll tank the damage and not react. Its not just DD2 that (and some FromSoft games do this as well) but if I fire a fucking flaming arrow into you from a distance, you would not run at me full force, tank any other arrows and stun lock me for 60% of my HP at times

A bit of a minor thing all told, but still worth mentioning

Sentenza

If you actually played the first game, you know this is exactly the reason, the entire online pawn system breaks if you hop around multiple characters.
As I said I can easily guess what's the reason and I STILL think it should be THEIR problem to solve it in a better way than just preventing multiple characters.
For instance just saving 3-to-5 "Pawn slots" per player on servers rather than just one?

Also, what do you mean "If you actually..."? Of course I fucking played it. Just because it was a thing back then, as well, it doesn't mean I have to like it.
In fact I hated this choice in the first game as well.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
but if I fire a fucking flaming arrow into you from a distance, you would not run at me full force, tank any other arrows and stun lock me for 60% of my HP at times
The enemies have threat assessment, it probably sees you as the biggest threat.
And there are augments/equipment to increase knockdown and stagger, also the archer's deathly arrow pretty much staggers all small enemies, it will even pin them to walls. A fire arrow doesn't necessarily breach their stagger threshold, it mainly just does extra elemental damage, weakpoint hits like headshots do. Or just use blast arrows instead.
I STILL think it should be THEIR problem to solve it in a better way than just preventing multiple characters.
For instance just saving 3-to-5 "Pawn slots" per player on servers rather than just one?
Well it doesn't matter what you think, if it was as easy as you propose then they would've done it, or it simply wasn't worth it for whatever other reason, or it's not a "problem" at all because they want it to be this way, so there's nothing to "solve".

Freeman76

There's an entire section dedicated to DLC in the survey and suspicious content in the game (like the abudance of equipment with ice resistance when there's no enemies with ice based attacks) which makes me think they cut a good portion of the game to sell as DLC
Later in the game there are a lot of enemies with ice based attacks

Sentenza

Well it doesn't matter what you think, if it was as easy as you propose then they would've done it, or it simply wasn't worth it for whatever other reason, or it's not a "problem" at all because they want it to be this way, so there's nothing to "solve".
I mean, IT IS "as easy as I propose". In fact, you can CURRENTLY cheat your way around the system by swapping savefiles manually.
It's just unnecessarily convoluted when it could be a in-menu option.

And I don't genuinely give a shit of "what they want"? It's still my prerogative to criticize unfortunate design decisions. I'm not mandate to like every one of their retarded decisions for "artistic integrity", you know.

Last edited:

SantaC

Gotta say, this game dropped at the perfect time. My wife and kids were out of town visiting the inlaws, so I had a full fucking week alone to go nuts. 57 hours logged as of this post lol

One more night to dig in without a care in the world. Gonna grab a case of beer and have a good time.
Wow what was your excuse for not going with them? Lucky man.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
I mean, IT IS "as easy as I propose". In fact, you can CURRENTLY cheat your way around the system by swapping savefiles manually.
That doesn't create multiple pawns, it just overwrites them, meaning broken pawn system because all knowledge and gifts and ratings and RC gained are deleted.
And I don't genuinely give a shit of "what they want"? It's still my prerogative to criticize unfortunate design decisions.
Sure, you are free to criticise whatever you want, I didn't say otherwise, just that it doesn't matter, because you don't get to decide if something needs to be "solved" just because you don't like it.

Sentenza

Sure, you are free to criticise whatever you want, I didn't say otherwise
Fine. Then I'll continue:

what they prefer to do doesn't mean fucking shit to me. I have a laundry list of reasons to want the option to create multiple characters and there are multiple solutions to make it realistically viable.
Some don't even involve backing up multiple pawns. For instance, if Capcom was really adamant about being a cheapskate with server data, they could have made your (only) Pawn a mandatory share between all your characters.
It would be stupid and more convoluted than just allowing multiple ones by spending one or two cents more per account, but still a better solution than what they came up with.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
what they prefer to do doesn't mean fucking shit to me. I have a laundry list of reasons to want the option to create multiple characters
Sure, knock yourself out, but in the end none of those reasons matter, just like what they decide and want apparently doesn't matter to you either. 🤷‍♂️
For instance, if Capcom was really adamant about being a cheapskate with server data, they could have made your (only) Pawn a mandatory share between all your characters.
Again, if the solution was so simple they would've done it, so its either far more complex than you think or they simply want it to be the way it is; assuming it's just about server cost is creating your own narrative in which your solution seems easy and brilliant. it's not

Sentenza

Again, if the solution was so simple they would've done it,
What makes you even think that they wrapped their heads so hard around figuring it out?
It's pretty clear they didn't, because otherwise only extremely incompetence would have justified their failure to accomplish what ANY other developer did without too much of a struggle.

Maybe the very reason they didn't do it is because no matter how poorly they do their job, they have legions of people like you who defend the result as a "creative vision".

Last edited:

Freeman76

The last third of the game is definitely the weakest, for 40 hours i was completely engrossed in this but its wearing thin a bit now. I'm gutted they didnt come up with a good endgame in 12 years of development, you suddenly hit a point where upgrading/finding gear is pointless and they could have gone all out and put a Bitter Black type endgame in but assume they'll expand it later. To be fair I adored the first game but it was a one and done until they released the dlc, it really elevated that game.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
What makes you think that they wrapped their heads so hard around figuring it out?
lol, capcom creates their own state of the art engines, they figured out how to streamline console porting timelines 20 years ago while everyone else was still struggling with it, they heavily and deeply modified their in-house engine to support open world features just for a single game, but here you are positing figuring out "multiple characters" is too tough for them? lol, lmao even.

what ANY other developer did without too much of a struggle.
Well, no other developer has done this without too much of a struggle, or at all really because there's no other game out there with the pawn system, so there's literally nothing to compare it to.

Sentenza

lol, capcom creates their own state of the art engines, they figured out how to streamline console porting timelines 20 years ago while everyone else was still struggling with it, they heavily and deeply modified their in-house engine to support open world features just for a single game, but here you are positing figuring out "multiple characters" is too tough for them? lol, lmao even.
Yeah, and Monster Hunter allows players to create multiple characters without an issue.

Well, no other developer has done this without too much of a struggle, or at all really because there's no other game out there with the pawn system, so there's literally nothing to compare it to.
I can't think of ANY other RPG I played where the game made a big deal of creating more than one character.
Or worse, attempted to sell a saveslot reset as a paid DLC.

You are going on as if the Pawn system was some stellar never-seen-before technological achievement when it's literally nothing more than a second character sheet saved on a server.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Yeah, and Monster Hunter allows players to create multiple characters without an issue.
didn't realise monster hunter had the pawn system. 🤔
I can't think of ANY other RPG I played where the game made a big deal of creating more than one character
Again, other games don't have the pawn system.
Or worse, attempted to sell a saveslot reset as a paid DLC.
This never happened.

Exentryk

I'm up to the Backbattahl in terms of story and enjoying the change of scenery and enemies. The Brant story quests were a bit of a tedium at times, but I did enjoy the cutscenes with Yennefer.

So far I've mastered the Mystic Spearhand vocation and almost done with Archer as well. My main pawn has mastered Archer and now finishing up Mage. Going to start maxing everything and enjoying all vocations before I settle on my main. I liked Mystic Spearhand's invincible shield as it let my team take down our first Drake.

Having a great time so far and still lots more to go.

afat96q.jpg

FeastYoEyes

Never played the first one and just got this last night. I love what I have played so far, the best thing is how goofy the pawns are. I went to a shop and didn't buy anything then they went on about how frugal I am with coin.

elhav

I really love the gameplay and the world, but the writing and story are so bad I don't really care about the characters or their quests

Wish they'd learn a lesson or two from FROM software's writing. Trim the dialog and let the world speak for itself

GHG

Found the sphinx and maxed out the thief vocation.

At this point I've pretty much abandoned the main quest and I'm just roaming around the world doing my thing. So many interesting discoveries to be made in this game, the open world is brilliantly designed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom