• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drakengard 3 |OT| This Silence Is Mine

The voice pack is 10GB!!!!!! Well at least the ps3 bandwidth seems to be good today only 30 minutes till it's done downloading.....guess I should be thankful lol

Christhor

Oh man, the puppet's mannerisms hahahaha.

Well that was really interesting. Watching that made me a little sad when I remembered he ended up losing his job, and that I really hope he gets to make a Drakengard 4, if only for his own sake and to hopefully try and answer questions he's been asking himself for the past 10 years.

Yoko Taro has actually been a freelancer since Cavia closed. He wasn't "hired" by anyone for Drakengard 3, he was just contracted for that job. What you should be sad about is that Wada is no longer the CEO of Square. As he seemed to be the one who got these games greenlit, despite how they're not really money makers in any way.

The interview was great though, Yoko Taro is such an interesting man.

did this game take real long to install for anyone else? its been going for like 20 minutes now...

I mean from the actual game disc btw

did this game take real long to install for anyone else? its been going for like 20 minutes now...

I mean from the actual game disc btw

Yep, took my PS3 about 30 minutes. Have both new consoles and having had a good gaming pc for a few years really has driven home how unbearably slow doing anything is on the PS3 or 360.

Weiss

Banned
I'm still debating whether to get this, so before I do, I need to know two things;

Is the gameplay at least as functional as Nier?

Is the story as wonderfully messed up as Drakengard 1 and Nier?

Holykael1

Banned
My instincts were to avoid the game unless reviews said otherwise...

That's fine, each to it's own.. I just can't stand the idea of possibly missing out on a great game because of snotty reviews. I might get burned a few times but it will be worth it for those few gems. For the record haven't been burned so far.

The characters/story/music look great even if not as good as Nier like people say(It's an educated guess based on the Novella and trailers and shit). The gameplay seems to be passable so it's a purchase for me anyway.

The framerate is so bad, walking through these trees and up the cliffside in the second mission has the game running at like 10 FPS

Edit: Oh gosh, it has screentearing too.

JPS Kai

The framerate is so bad, walking through these trees and up the cliffside in the second mission has the game running at like 10 FPS

That was my biggest complaint when I was reviewing it last night. It gets even worse when you're on Mikhail and use his triangle attack on the ground.

My CE came in today.

At first I was really excited about it (this game is the sole reason I bought a PS3, after all), but after being charged $20 for shipping I feel kind of soured over it, especially since the standard game was for sale at Amazon and other places after Square-Enix explicitly said it was not going to be.

Anyway, I'm deciding on whether to open and play it this weekend or save it for an eventual summer week off of work (which would mirror how I played Nier in 2011).

That was my biggest complaint when I was reviewing it last night. It gets even worse when you're on Mikhail and use his triangle attack on the ground.

Looking forward to dragon riding even less now :p

But jeez, I didn't even know you could have framerates this low and yet STILL have screentearing. Combat seems pretty fun so far though, Drakengard 2 was already a lot better than the first game and this seems a nice improvement. Very fast paced.

JPS Kai

Looking forward to dragon riding even less now :p

But jeez, I didn't even know you could have framerates this low and yet STILL have screentearing. Combat seems pretty fun so far though, Drakengard 2 was already a lot better than the first game and this seems a nice improvement. Very fast paced.

As much as I'd like to give it a vote of confidence, the digital version is most likely just as poorly performing as the physical release. I haven't actually tried using the Japanese voices just because I enjoy hearing how vulgar the dialogue gets in English.

And I agree with the combat; it's pretty fluid and rewards parrying/blocking and knowing when to use which.

So, about weapons, do they only level up by paying for them? I thought it was going to be a "use them and gain experience" type of level up deal

Also, where the heck is the second treasure in Chapter 1 verse 2?

JPS Kai

So, about weapons, do they only level up by paying for them? I thought it was going to be a "use them and gain experience" type of level up deal

Also, where the heck is the second treasure in Chapter 1 verse 2?

So far, it looks like it's just paying with gold and using weapon upgrade drops (bronze, silver, gold, maybe more). It takes a little while before you get silver upgrades.

It's
before the barricades, around to the right side on a platform.

Astarte

Well, played until
you kill Four.
I'm pretty...disappointed by the game. It's not...I mean...I don't like it. Maybe it'll change when I keep playing, but I really wish the characters were more fleshed out in the game itself. Maybe that'll change with the obligatory endings, but eh. 6/10.

I pre-ordered it digitally from the S-E store but still didn't get my code, am I the only one or they didn't send it yet?

I don't mind the delay since it'll still be a while before I play it, but if there's something wrong with my order, I need to contact them.

I got the DLC codes along with everyone else.

I had the same problem but my code just arrived.

Well, played until
you kill Four.
I'm pretty...disappointed by the game. It's not...I mean...I don't like it. Maybe it'll change when I keep playing, but I really wish the characters were more fleshed out in the game itself. Maybe that'll change with the obligatory endings, but eh. 6/10.

I have pretty low standards for this series, all I want is a fucked up game(and it seems that even then I'll be disappointed).

Holy shit, the meeting with five is hilarious in a way I wasn't expecting at all.

Love that the game still has visual changes for weapons.

Astarte

I have pretty low standards for this series, all I want is a fucked up game(and it seems that even then I'll be disappointed).

Maybe it's too early to tell, but my sentiments are echoing a lot of people that played the game already.

Holy shit, the meeting with five is hilarious in a way I wasn't expecting at all.

Love that the game still has visual changes for weapons.

Yeah, glad that they kept the visual changes for weapon upgrades and the weapon stories.

ign gave this a 4.8/10? ow, there goes my purchase

Just kidding! Still deciding. :p

Remember, in the end all that matters is what you choose.
I regret buying the collector's edition

Mature

About 10 minutes in and this game is a technical mess. That sort of stuff doesn't normally bug me, but it's truly awful.

About 10 minutes in and this game is a technical mess. That sort of stuff doesn't normally bug me, but it's truly awful.

I was just coming in here to call this game a "technical disaster". I'm still enjoying but holy shit, the tearing, the stuttering, the framerate. Wow...

Wereroku

I am confused did you not read the Japanese reviews? It's been known for months that the game is a mess mind you I am having fun but it was poorly developed.

I've been considering picking this up for a while, only played Nier, never felt the need or desire to play Drakengard 1 or 2.
But from what I'm reading and people have told me it makes Dragon's Dogma's performance hiccups look like nothing, the story isn't even good, and the gameplay is still terrible.
So...guess I'll skip on this and maybe when it drops down to like $15 pick it up.
Wise?

Mature

I am confused did you not read the Japanese reviews? It's been known for months that the game is a mess mind you I am having fun but it was poorly developed.
Why would you assume I, or anyone else, has read Japanese reviews? I'm not complaining. I know what I was getting into for the most part, but just not to this degree. I've never really played anything this (last I guess) gen that's this technically terrible. I'm actually getting a headache from the stuttering framerate. It's remarkable.

Yeah, it's really really bad. I'm starting to get used to it though, just have to play long enough to where the stuttering and screentearing become a blur :p It's like when I think of Dragon's Dogma the incredible scale comes to mind but when I first start it back up after not playing for a while I remember that the entire game runs at 20 FPS :D

Surprised people aren't having fun though if they liked the previous games despite the jank/repetition. Combat up to 4 has been pretty fun and a lot more enjoyable than the first game. Second was a lot better than the first game as well but this is a nice improvement on that. Banter is amusing as well, the game is a lot more comedic than I was expecting.

Wereroku

Why would you assume I, or anyone else, has read Japanese reviews? I'm not complaining. I know what I was getting into for the most part, but just not to this degree. I've never really played anything this (last I guess) gen that's this technically terrible. I'm actually getting a headache from the stuttering framerate. It's remarkable.
Mostly because I do when the game has been released for months in another region and we have gaffers who have played it saying the framerate is utter garbage. Mind you for the amount of money and time that was spent on the game it runs pretty well its not Bayonetta ps3 levels of shit that came out of nowhere. Yeah sadly you may just want to sell the game if you are still early on the later levels get even worse. I really wish this had been given the time and money of FFXIII because then i think we would have had an epic game.

I'm liking the game a lot. Sure its janky as hell (easily one of the worst performing games on the ps3) but I'm enjoying it regardless.

MechaX

More power to you on that one. I mean, if you're suddenly expecting a Cavia game to knock it out of the park all of a sudden...

These guys made fucking Bullet Witch. This game was made by the guys who programmed Deadly Premonition.

Dice//

Banned

Given my level of poverty and the amount of free time I have, I follow the reviews as well (or at least, I follow them until price cuts start piling up).

I'm so curious about this game, but the "luke-cold" reviews are kind of scaring me off of paying full price.

Top Bottom