• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dream Daddy: A Dad Dating Simulator |OT| Thirsty for Pop

red13th

This person has nice fanart.

DFg3eqrVYAAsEJA.jpg:large

DFrP1HOXYAMNNBx.jpg:large

Alright about an hour in so far and it's pretty dang charming.

Digging it, character creator has some nice options and toggles, not as in depth as I'd like but it's nice to have the body hair options. And my god, actual fucking hairstyles that I would realistically have! It's a miracle.

Also it's now confirmed, Daddies = best type.

It's been over a month since this came out; what did you all think? Did the game meet your expectations? Did you have any favorite dads or moments?

My favorite route was one of my initial favorites, Robert. In particular, I was struck me was his complicated relationship with sex.
As people who have played the game know by now, he's the first dad that you can sleep with, in a one night stand at the start of the game. However doing so basically kills any chance of getting with him. Some people were not pleased by that idea, suggesting that it suggested that people couldn't get into a decent relationship after being sexually involved with each other early on.
But after going through his route it seems more that he treats sex similar to how he does with alcohol as a way to avoid the negative parts of his life.

The 3rd date has Robert start to open up to you emotionally about his estranged relationship with his daughter and how she wants to give it all another chance and his fears about this. Shortly afterwards he begins to initiate, and reciprocating results in him not following up his daughter, possibly spoiling the relationship for good. It's only when you avoid sex and instead encourage him to move forward that he's able to do just that. I also thought it was cool that he decides to focus on fixing his own life and that a relationship wouldn't be the best for him right now (but still leaving a possibility for them to go to that level when things are better). I also found his complicated relationship between him, Joseph, and Mary to be very interesting. PROTIP: If you haven't seen it, look up the scene of Robert and the main dad on the pier on the 3rd Joseph date. It's only view-able if you've hung out with Robert twice before doing the date.

My least favorite was my other early favorite, Brian.
The Dadsona had an unusually immature response to Brian's generally friendly rivalry, and I felt like every thing he did in Brian's presence was to both his own detriment and to his relationship with Brian. It also meant the eventual (literal) kiss and make up feel weak. MC Dad goes from hating the guy to falling for him. Even if the root cause was his own feelings of inadequacy, I still feel like they needed more time to actually act like friends, instead of it just being Brian WANTING to be closer friends but MC Dad rebuking it.

I have to shout out Damien's route for being the biggest surprise in terms of my enjoyment. Initially when I saw all the characters, Damien was someone I wasn't feeling at all. "Goth Dad" felt the closest to a gimmick character while the others at least seemed to have a veil of realism. But in the end he was actually a very sweet guy and the most interesting to see in terms of a parental role. He gets a bonus for being the other person whose really close to Mary. Mary was one of my favorite character in the game by the end of it, so anyone who makes her show her caring side is ok in my book.
It was also very cool learning that he was a trans-man, although I do wish the game had made that a little more clear. As someone who wasn't familiar with what binders are until after playing his route, the concept had totally blown over my head at the time. Even if they didn't want to make his route all about his trans-ness, it would have been nice to get more than just an almost off-hand reference to a product that not even all trans men use.

And finally:

tumblr_othn4bpYn71vpenpso1_500.jpg

Top Bottom