• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon launches Cloth Map (Patreon)

Hoo-doo

Banned
Hell yeah Drew! This sounds like a dream come true for him.

Work his video chops. tell great stories and play some videogames.

He's a great guy but he was the least knowledgeable about video games at Giant Bomb (and that's saying something) so I'm not quite understanding why someone would pay to watch him make "explore the people, places, and cultures of the world through the lens of games".

I'd say the least knowledgeable about 'current' games, because he was too busy...exploring people places and cultures. Given his role at GB, I imagine he knows a ton about hardware. Stream's also talking about non-video games, and he was always the one of the most outspoken ones about tabletop/card games and stuff.

Nishastra

Banned
I hope this goes well, because I'd love to see more of this kind of stuff.

Like everybody else, I loved his travel videos. Obviously the North Korea one is very different since it's just him talking with photos, but it was also fascinating :p

He's a great guy but he was the least knowledgeable about video games at Giant Bomb (and that's saying something) so I'm not quite understanding why someone would pay to watch him make "explore the people, places, and cultures of the world through the lens of games".

He's not making a documentary about the history of Atari. He's always been the most knowledgeable when it comes to games from obscure places like home made games from Iran by people who taught themselves how to program. For stuff like that he's the best person I can think of

kulapik

I have no reason to give money to anyone on Patreon because people like you will do it without having seen even a second of what you're paying for.

If you knew Drew from Giant Bomb you'd know he isn't the type of person to do that. If it was a random, yeah, sure, but Drew has a known history.

Noaloha

I'm seeing a lot of comments about how this'll be video game related. I don't see that at all, or am I missing some extra info? From the pitch I've seen, I'm expecting equal coverage not just of video games but also the pinball scene, xmas Monopoly with relatives, playground Pokemon CCG, play by post DND, forum Mafia, etc.

e: I also think Drew's perfect for this kind of stuff because the aim isn't for him to impart knowledge or insight, he's just there to put other groups' stories on film in an enjoyable fashion. A dollop of sincere curiosity is all it takes to get those stories, which is something Drew has in spades.

I have no reason to give money to anyone on Patreon because people like you will do it without having seen even a second of what you're paying for.

He's done this kind of content 3 times for Giant Bomb, there's a pretty clear indicator of what this Patreon will be.

Claiming that he's just getting people pay for his vacation means you either didn't listen to his pitch or you don't know what a vacation is.

LiK

There's a pitch video and his rep is on the line. If he's not producing what he promised, people can stop giving him money. If you're not interested, then that's fine. No need to talk down to people who are interested.

This looks great! Drew seems like a super likeable and affable guy too, hopefully that will help him get the most from the locals of the places he visits.

HvySky

Drew didn't just pop up out of nowhere and start this Patreon. He has been in the industry for a while, and proven his experience multiple times over.

-griffy-

Banned
I'm seeing a lot of comments about how this'll be video game related. I don't see that at all, or am I missing some extra info? From the pitch I've seen, I'm expecting equal coverage not just of video games but also the pinball scene, xmas Monopoly with relatives, playground Pokemon CCG, play by post DND, forum Mafia, etc.

He specifically said it's about games, not just video games.

iiicon

This is a really cool project, and something that makes sense when you consider Drew Scanon's experience and interests. Hopefully this occupies the same space in my head that Cara Ellison's Embed with Games once did.

On the livestream, Drew's talking about how North Korea sort of inspired the premise behind Cloth Map. I should really watch that GB video, I guess, because I am slightly worried Drew will fall into the trap of glamorizing or glossing over regimes with less than stellar political or human rights records. I'm not saying he would do this intentionally, but it seems like an easy thing for a travel blogger/vlogger to fall into, and I know Drew generally doesn't talk much about politics on places like Giant Bomb.

Mesoian

Cloth Map is an awful name for this venture. But best of luck to him.

You are drunk, it is an AMAZING name.

On the livestream, Drew's talking about how North Korea sort of inspired the premise behind Cloth Map. I should really watch that GB video, I guess, because I am slightly worried Drew will fall into the trap of glamorizing or glossing over regimes with less than stellar political or human rights records. I'm not saying he would do this intentionally, but it seems like an easy thing for a travel blogger/vlogger to fall into, and I know Drew generally doesn't talk much about politics on places like Giant Bomb.

You should watch that video because it's probably top 5 pieces of content that Giant Bomb has ever put out. That video is fascinating.

Clunker

The pitch sounds like Bourdain's No Reservations with some video game flavoring attached, which sounds great. And I love the larger packages Drew put together for GB, so I'm in for a small donation per month to fund some awesome travelogues.

Volotaire

I'm looking forward to watching videos on small and specific gaming communities around the world. I really enjoyed the GB travelogues so I wish Drew success with the project. It's almost like an anthropological gaming study.

some people find enjoyment in it. I'm sure they'll stop if it ends up being trash. Who's to judge how others use their money? Drew is not some nobody off the street so it's not like he's going to take the money and run.

There's a pitch video and his rep is on the line. If he's not producing what he promised, people can stop giving him money. If you're not interested, then that's fine. No need to talk down to people who are interested.

Two people have gone to North Korea and documented their trip, so clearly their experiences and tone are exactly the same.

Drew is no hack like Louis.

Or, you know, you put faith in a content creator after looking at their previous work.

It's not like this is just a random dude who's asking for money.

Alfredo

I'm in.

My first (maybe only) Patreon thing. I'm not exactly sure what to expect, but I trust Drew to make something cool.

I do know that ever since I started watching GameCenter CX and really enjoying their trips to various arcades, (and the shattered dreams of "The Raid") I've really wanted a gaming Travel Channel-type show. I don't know if this will have any resemblance to what Drew is wanting to do, but I'm down.

Honestly this could be great, I would love to see content on all the clone systems/games and pirating done in places like Brazil, Russia, etc.

Top Bottom