• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Drew Scanlon launches Cloth Map (Patreon)

Banned
I have no reason to give money to anyone on Patreon because people like you will do it without having seen even a second of what you're paying for.
I don't subscribe to any Patreon actually.

I think Drew has a big enough history and breadth of work to base a decision on if you want to pledge towards his Patreon. You know what to expect.

SexyFish

Banned
I have no reason to give money to anyone on Patreon because people like you will do it without having seen even a second of what you're paying for.

Well I've seen his previous work so I feel like he'll come through with this?

No need to call Patreon supporters sheep.

Except we're familiar with the dude for years, and we've seen him make similar travel content on Giant Bomb that's been great.

Also, it's weird when people judge others on how they spend their hard earned money. I'm willing to back good ideas because tried-and-true is everywhere.

Two people have gone to North Korea and documented their trip, so clearly their experiences and tone are exactly the same.

Drew is no hack like Louis.

I wasn't trying to say Drew would cover North Korea exactly the same, I just mentioned that it was a slight worry. The way he was talking about North Korea on the livestream made it sound a bit like puppies and rainbows (we're all just people who can all come together over games!), and that's what worried me. I'll go watch the North Korea video so that I have something more to go on.

Generally, I really like Drew, and I think the Iceland video was great. I would trust him with most travel videos no problem, and I think there's a decent chance I'm worried for nothing.

Some of you people are incredibly cynical. Drew Scanlon might be the one person I would trust to do something like this right. This seems fascinating, and if I had the money I would absolutely donate.

Some of you people are incredibly cynical. Drew Scanlon might be the one person I would trust to do something like this right. This seems fascinating, and if I had the money I would absolutely donate.

I see mostly positive comments here, so just ignore the few idiots that are cynical.

kubev

I wonder if his pilot experience works directly into this at all. In either case, given how much people seem to love his travel projects with Giant Bomb, I'm sure that this is gonna be a great experience for a lot of people. Good luck, Drew!

Cronen

Happy for him and wish him the best! Will hopefully be able to back him in the future when I am able to afford to do so!

Is 5k really enough if he is self employed? I guess it depends on where he lives.. but it doesn't sound like there would be anything left after travel expenses.

Strange that there aren't more Patreon goals.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

jlaw-okay.gif

Surprised no one thought of "Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations, but for games" a long time ago. Looks cool.

He's a great guy but he was the least knowledgeable about video games at Giant Bomb (and that's saying something) so I'm not quite understanding why someone would pay to watch him make "explore the people, places, and cultures of the world through the lens of games".

He doesn't have to know everything about the stuff he's going to cover and discover. This isn't a new format for a show. He's acting as the vessel by which we learn about stuff we might not necessarily know about. He just has to know how to properly communicate and ask the right questions.

bender

What time is it?
Is 5k really enough if he is self employed? I guess it depends on where he lives.. but it doesn't sound like there would be anything left after travel expenses.

Strange that there aren't more Patreon goals.

You are probably used to looking at Kickstarter campaings as this confused me too. There are next and back arrows that show more goals.

I imagine the initial conversation was similar to this at the Giant Bomb office when Drew came to the guys with the idea.

maxresdefault.jpg

Good luck to Drew. I think it's a pretty amazing idea.

"Cloud Map launches immediately!

With this level of funding, the dream becomes a reality. Frequent, high-quality projects that expand our perception of the world and its cultures, inspire us to explore, and foster a sense of global community."

Typo?

What a stark contrast to the JonTron debacle.

Good to know that for every shithead in this industry, you've got genuinely awesome people like Drew who choose to eliminate ignorance rather than propagate it.

"Cloud Map launches immediately!

With this level of funding, the dream becomes a reality. Frequent, high-quality projects that expand our perception of the world and its cultures, inspire us to explore, and foster a sense of global community."

Typo?

What if "Cloud Map" is Cloth Map but like... on the cloud?

So excited. A perfectly "Drew" idea, and I wish him well! That Iceland video was :chefkiss:, and I think about his description of North Korea whenever they pop up in the news. Backed with enthusiasm.

Top Bottom