• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's nothing wrong with that poster talking about something he believes. I happen to agree with him. What's really more annoying is the backlash going all out and lambasting modern pc culture and whining about how everything is seen as offensive. If you disagree, explain why. This is a discussion forum after all.

It's fine to post about what you believe, but the OP's argument was aggressive and insinuated some pretty strong things without offering much support. I think it's pretty logical that people would respond to something like that in a frustrated or dismissive way. It's hard to discuss when someone gives you very little to go off of.

I wouldn't have considered changing the name were it not for other posters offering more reasonable arguments. It actually felt as though they wanted to help.

Lindsaymv

It's fine to post about what you believe, but the OP's argument was aggressive and insinuated some pretty strong things without offering much support. I think it's pretty logical that people would respond to something like that in a frustrated or dismissive way. It's hard to discuss when someone gives you very little to go off of.

I wouldn't have considered changing the name were it not for other posters offering more reasonable arguments. It actually felt as though they wanted to help.

Ben you are just the best dude. Props for taking criticism on board, whether deserved or not, and just immediately promising to fix it.

Auctopus

There's nothing wrong with that poster talking about something he believes. I happen to agree with him. What's really more annoying is the backlash going all out and lambasting modern pc culture and whining about how everything is seen as offensive. If you disagree, explain why. This is a discussion forum after all.

• At no point does Ben use outdated vernacular, so I assume that the poster is referring to Ben's use of the Guqin instrument as background music which is about as offensive as Ben visiting the UK and using Rule Britannia (please ignore putrid Brexit comments) as background music and calling the video "Bollocks from the Bus Stop", "Chats from the Chippy" or "Crusade Conversations". Yes, it focuses on an aspect of a country's culture that may have rescinded or disappeared completely but Ben and the majority of viewers are well aware that so-called "Orientalism" isn't the Japan of today. IN FACT, Ben has repeatedly explained how his series of videos will try to highlight the misconceptions he had about the country prior to visiting!
  • EZA/GT has several fans who are actually from Japan and are Japanese and have managed to contain their rage at this indignation.
  • Using the word "East" is about as offensive as using the word "West". Just because it is a hangover from when Western- Sorry, "A Little To The Left Europe" was the financial centre of the World, doesn't make Ben inherently problematic for using it.
  • The user refers to "getting his Ian on" in a negative light which is disrespectful in the first place. Funnily enough, Ian personally tweeted about "Tales from the East".
  • The user asks Ben to be respectful whilst inadvertently calling the West descendants of "racist white assholes" because that person is allowed to paint two continents and a race with the same brush but EZA can't use the word for a certain direction.

I'm not one of those posters who feels the need to force my opinion in to every censorship, BLM or Fem Frequency thread, nor am I the type of person (as a voter who lives in a largely Conservative county) who lets mild/casual racism slip by but when we're getting to the point of criticising a clearly very thoughtful and appreciative person over their use of one word from a personal series that we've only seen one episode of so far, we're poisoning and separating the community over semantics.

If you would like a more reasonable response from other posters then try to post in a way that's less explosive and offensive to said posters. Just because you're offended doesn't mean you can be offensive.

UrbanRats

Good point US gaming history.

At the same time people in the USA refer to themselves sometimes as Americans, with the meaning of being from the USA. No one in Japan refers to themselves as an Easterner.

I mean of course they don't, East and West are relative geographical directions.
I guess it betrays an Eurocentric view of the world at most, but we're getting into truly pedantic territory, like someone who gets upset at cowboy movies being "Westerns" or something.

I'd wager that, 90% of the use of East and West, is simply out of convenience, and a way to find common ground, which is a basic feature of language.
So if i say East Coast you think New York, if i say Easter Europe you think of Romania, and if i say East Asia, you think of China or Japan or Korea.

Tales from Asia doesn't exclude a massive amount of land, too.
Tales from Japan also doesn't cut it then, if Ben stayed in Tokyo.

Ya'll don't have a problem with someone saying "driving up north" or "down south", even though that's also steeped in euro-centrism, and the planet doesn't have an up nor a down.

I mean, there's being politically conscious, and there's being pedantic.

MrMette

To be fair in this particular instances Tales from Japan offends no one while Tales from the East does. It's an easy decision.

Its like that discussion a few pages back about how homogenized the gaming history became and how it basically ignores European gaming history and instead follows the American gaming history as the one true history. Similarly you can't really talk about "eastern gaming cultutre" when the market in Japan, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, China, Vietnam, Malaysia or the Philippines is completely different.

You are missing my point. There is almost no reason at all for people to ask creators to change something to their content imo. If something illegal happened, sure, but you are talking about one word in a title.
I think it is a selfish stance to think that you have the right to ask a creator to change their content.

I don't care what the title of the show is, I do care when a creator is asked to change a title because of 2 or 3 people thinking they have the right to speak for the whole world or a big part of the world.

Are you yourself from one of those Asian countries? Otherwise I don't think you can speak for them.

I am not a racist and I think others peoples cultures are fascinating, but if a word isn't meant as a racist slur, it isn't one imo (if that word can be used outside of that context).
I am sorry dude, but if you can't say "east" anymore, something is really really wrong with the world. Even if a word was once used as a racial slur, if the people using it right now don't even think about how it is a racist slur I don't see a problem in using it.

A bunch of letters can never be racist without the people using them intend them to be imo. I am sure it can hurt people, but if it isn't intended, there is nothing you can do as some people will always be triggered by stuff, so I think it is best to just ignore it as it can never be right for everyone.
Also if it bothers you this much, you can maybe stop watching the show and watch the other great content EZA produces. If I don't like a particular show or content, I just go do something else instead of trying to have it changed to my ideals.

I am usually quite good in understanding where people are coming from, but I really can not believe how much this bothers you to be honest.

ilium

Woke up today expecting some interesting posts in here, but instead I got dogpiling on an admittedly rude and non-constructive post, one akwardly passive-aggressive and outdated attempt to discredit an entire field of academia and some misunderstanding why monikers like The East or The Far East could be seen as problematic or at least debatable.
Calling something in "the east" (or west, north, south) relative from one's vantage point is not what this is about but rather the additional baggage that comes with some of those terms, namely european expansionism and everything that was part of it. The consequences of this are still very real across the globe and will be in the future.
What you see happening in Middle-East-Asia today is a direct result of european colonialism. British Generals were literally drawing lines in the sand as they saw fit, proclaiming it something that it really wasn't for the people living there. And The Far East really isn't all that far for everyone living there is it. Those terms simply reek of Orientalism and Exoticism, of generalizing whole continents of diverse cultures that are oh so far away as something they really aren't nor want to be.
This is also why it doesn't really matter if someone is offended or not. I guess it depends if you agree that language constitutes reality to some extent. If you do then I'm sure you will understand that perpetuating outdated, potentionally offensive concepts which were mostly used to diffentiate to the (inferior) Other might be something worth talking about.
So I don't think it's fair to handwave it away with a simple "It's just convenience".
I agree that it is for most people, but I don't see why we shouldn't challenge things that are so nonsensical and arbitrary anyway.

I hope this clears up the position some of us in this thread might have on the topic.
Maybe it gave you something new to reflect on, maybe it didn't and that's okay too.
Just be aware that certain terms or formulations may come with not always apparent negative additional meaning and that it should be okay to mention it at least no matter if you ultimately agree or not.

So anyway, Tabletop Escapades has been my highlight of the week for some time now. I eagerly await every release and get sad when I don't catch it on wednesday evening. It also inspired me to attempt my first Solo run through Baldur's Gate 1 + 2.
Something I always thought was pretty insane tbh but as it turns out it's not that difficult! So far at least. Fighter/Mage/Thief multiclass is just too good and a blast to play!
I also convinced my room mate to play through BG2 in co op during the cold winter months. Can be pretty weird explaining D&D rulesets to someone not at all familiar with it. THAC0 what, right? ._.

MrMette

I am sorry guys, but I just can't stand censorship.

Also, Ben just did his first ever completely cut and created show and you guys are complaining about the title because it has the word "east" in it.
That must be very nice to see for him.

Kneefoil

Anyway you're not really wrong, just that "when Europeans traveled eastward and found new cultures unlike their own" generally entailed everything that was part of European Imperialism and Colonialism, so very bad stuff.
Europe was very much seen as center of the world and culturally superior to anyone else which was of course used to justify some really terrible things all around the world. Consequences of this are still very present and can have impact on people even today! (And the foreseeable future sadly)
Obviously I'm familiar with European Imperialism and Colonialim already. I was simply talking about Europeans were just discovering the east, it was often for trade purposes, for example, not to conquer other people's lands or to establish their own superiority. Of course there's no denying that the latter didn't also happen; Alexander the Great would be guilty of that, for instance.

I guess I should clarify that when I wrote that post, I was only thinking about the origin of the term, because the person I was replying to was arguing that the word was bad due to the people who coined it being racists and thinking they are the center of the universe. I have yet to find very solid evidence of that being a fact. However, I suppose the origin doesn't matter much, if it was later used to support eurocentric views and beliefs. I can see how that would bring with it some negative connotations to the word, even if the word isn't explicitly bad.

UrbanRats

So I don't think it's fair to handwave it away with a simple "It's just convenience".

I didn't handwave it as just convenience, i did bring up Euro-centrism, and it's obvious what the problem is with it for some people.
I also brought up how pedantic it is to bring it up in this context, given that you know how it was used and for what.
East and West aren't exclusive words like "Oriental" is in the modern English language, and have a much broader range of use, something to value in context.

It's like being unable to apply any context to any particular political issue being discussed.
Complaining about euro-centrism is the education system, and other larger, systemic institutions, and complaining about some guy's videos talking about his trip to Japan isn't remotely the same thing, and it's probably one of the reasons why some may find it exhausting to discuss similar topics on the internet, because, as i said, it goes from being politically conscious and considerate, to being needlessly pedantic.
But that's just my 2 cents on it, not trying to handwave anything, let alone shut anyone down.
As far as i'm concerned, this can go on for another 50 pages, whether i engage in the discussion or not (infact, i don't like when people try to veer the conversation away from debates, in the first place).

Karu

By the way, what was the September, 15th date tease at the start of the new episode on Huber Syndrome about?

Edit: Does it reference the date of shooting, maybe? Dunno. Seemed so ominous, haha.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Woke up today expecting some interesting posts in here, but instead I got dogpiling on an admittedly rude and non-constructive post, one akwardly passive-aggressive and outdated attempt to discredit an entire field of academia and some misunderstanding why monikers like The East or The Far East could be seen as problematic or at least debatable.

As my last comment on this issue, I encourage you to research for yourself the state of methodology in cultural studies and critical theory in general, especially regarding rigorous empirical analysis. A field's results should not simply "depend on wether you agree" with the assumption that one's particular interpretation of words construct reality in a particular way, when many of those results could instead be empirically investigated. Subjective literary analysis is not sufficient to warrant the level of authority and urgency with which many of its practitioners present their opinions as fact. At the very least, one should investigate if the claimed consequences of cultural artefacts (like certain words in the title of a YouTube video) can actually be observed in reality before instigating action.

ilium

Obviously I'm familiar with European Imperialism and Colonialim already. I was simply talking about Europeans were just discovering the east, it was often for trade purposes, for example, not to conquer other people's lands or to establish their own superiority. Of course there's no denying that the latter didn't also happen; Alexander the Great would be guilty of that, for instance.

I guess I should clarify that when I wrote that post, I was only thinking about the origin of the term, because the person I was replying to was arguing that the word was bad due to the people who coined it being racists and thinking they are the center of the universe. I have yet to find very solid evidence of that being a fact. However, I suppose the origin doesn't matter much, if it was later used to support eurocentric views and beliefs. I can see how that would bring with it some negative connotations to the word, even if the word isn't explicitly bad.

Well, the origins of the terms we're talking about are generally traced back to the early 19th century during mostly British expansion in those areas, so its' connotation was inherent right at the beginning. You're right that trade was a common driver for european expansion throughout history, but this mostly accounts for civil endeavours. State funded expedition were very much interested in aquiring goods and land by any means necessary.

I didn't handwave it as just convenience, i did bring up Euro-centrism, and it's obvious what the problem is with it for some people.
I also brought up how pedantic it is to bring it up in this context, given that you know how it was used and for what.
East and West aren't exclusive words like "Oriental" is in the modern English language, and have a much broader range of use, something to value in context.

It's like being unable to apply any context to any particular political issue being discussed.
Complaining about euro-centrism is the education system, and other larger, systemic institutions, and complaining about some guy's videos talking about his trip to Japan isn't remotely the same thing, and it's probably one of the reasons why some may find it exhausting to discuss similar topics on the internet, because, as i said, it goes from being politically conscious and considerate, to being needlessly pedantic.
But that's just my 2 cents on it, not trying to handwave anything, let alone shut anyone down.
As far as i'm concerned, this can go on for another 50 pages, whether i engage in the discussion or not (infact, i don't like when people try to veer the conversation away from debates, in the first place).

That's the point tho, "some guy's video talking about his trip to japan" is very much part of the system you feel right to critize. It may seem like an insignificant part, but it still perpetuates something within that system that may not be okay.

As my last comment on this issue, I encourage you to research for yourself the state of methodology in cultural studies and critical theory in general, especially regarding rigorous empirical analysis. A field's results should not simply "depend on wether you agree" with the assumption that one's particular interpretation of words construct reality in a particular way, when many of those results could instead be empirically investigated. Subjective literary analysis is not sufficient to warrant the level of authority and urgency with which many of its practitioners present their opinions as fact. At the very least, one should investigate if the claimed consequences of cultural artefacts (like certain words in the title of a YouTube video) can actually be observed in reality before instigating action.

Don't worry, I'm very well aware of "the state of methodology" in social science and it's particular trappings especially within ethnographic research and comparable approaches. It may please you to know that my field's methodology has been subject to heated debates for decades with no end in sight.

So anyway, Tabletop Escapades has been my highlight of the week for some time now. I eagerly await every release and get sad when I don't catch it on wednesday evening. It also inspired me to attempt my first Solo run through Baldur's Gate 1 + 2.
Something I always thought was pretty insane tbh but as it turns out it's not that difficult! So far at least. Fighter/Mage/Thief multiclass is just too good and a blast to play!
I also convinced my room mate to play through BG2 in co op during the cold winter months. Can be pretty weird explaining D&D rulesets to someone not at all familiar with it. THAC0 what, right? ._.

THAC0 is insane. All its describing is basically the same proficiency bonus and armor class you see in 5th Edition but it's inverted for no sensible reason.

I finally got to the end of Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition only to discover a bug that crashes the game as soon as I strike the killing blow on the last boss. A truly frustrating situation. I submitted a bug report to Beamdog who developed the EEs and they were surprisingly quick to respond so maybe I'll get a fix.

UrbanRats

That's the point tho, "some guy's video talking about his trip to japan" is very much part of the system you feel right to critize. It may seem like an insignificant part, but it still perpetuates something within that system that may not be okay.

This is like saying that the ocean is made out of drops, so a drop is the same as a pool.
It may not be technically wrong, but it comes off as disingenuous and pedantic (as i mentioned).
Just because the context is very different, both in what the two things represent, and in how they are used.

For example hearing the personal take of someone describing how alienating and odd a foreign culture felt to them, is very different from having that same culture being described as alien and odd by an institution.
You may find both upsetting, but the stark difference remains there.
So yes, i think a personal account of someone going to a very different culture, and describing how and why it felt so different, is not (and should not be) held to the same standards that an institution of a more official position is and should be.

When my parents came back from their trip to the US, when i was a kid, their accounts of all the cultural discrepancies and things that felt odd to them, were very skewed and personal; my father was a fanboy of American stuff in the first place, so to him every other thing was cool and great (and you can bet there was a whole lot of exoticism in his words), my mom on the other hand was the opposite, and didn't seem to "gel" with American culture well at all (despite enjoying the trip), but you could see the hyperbole or bias or things she just didn't understand, still.

Being aware of Euro-centrism (or US-centrism) is good, but to also just restrict exoticism to the idea of the white US/UK tourist looking for the Asian caricature, is really reductive of how two cultures can interact and, why not, clash.
And on a personal level, that has to offer more lee-way than it does on an institutional one, i believe, because when dealing with something foreign, you're going to fall victim to it, no matter what.
--
Long winded explanation as to why the two things aren't really the same, and shouldn't be treated as such, in my opinion.

Hey guys what's u-
kEzRhVF.gif

Oh. Alright.

ilium

This is like saying that the ocean is made out of drops, so a drop is the same as a pool.
It may not be technically wrong, but it comes off as disingenuous and pedantic (as i mentioned).
Just because the context is very different, both in what the two things represent, and in how they are used.

For example hearing the personal take of someone describing how alienating and odd a foreign culture felt to them, is very different from having that same culture being described as alien and odd by an institution.
You may find both upsetting, but the stark difference remains there.
So yes, i think a personal account of someone going to a very different culture, and describing how and why it felt so different, is not (and should not be) held to the same standards that an institution of a more official position is and should be.

When my parents came back from their trip to the US, when i was a kid, their accounts of all the cultural discrepancies and things that felt odd to them, were very skewed and personal; my father was a fanboy of American stuff in the first place, so to him every other thing was cool and great (and you can bet there was a whole lot of exoticism in his words), my mom on the other hand was the opposite, and didn't seem to "gel" with American culture well at all (despite enjoying the trip), but you could see the hyperbole or bias or things she just didn't understand, still.

Being aware of Euro-centrism (or US-centrism) is good, but to also just restrict exoticism to the idea of the white US/UK tourist looking for the Asian caricature, is really reductive of how two cultures can interact and, why not, clash.
And on a personal level, that has to offer more lee-way than it does on an institutional one, i believe, because when dealing with something foreign, you're going to fall victim to it, no matter what.
--
Long winded explanation as to why the two things aren't really the same, and shouldn't be treated as such, in my opinion.

I don't really disagree with most of what you wrote here tbh, but I feel like you're moving this into a direction that is not relevant to what we were initially talking about.
At no point did anyone mention the actual content of the video, how it was presented, how someone experiences something and how it might be unthoughtful or something. It really is just about the title itself being Tales from The East, The East as in The Far East being loaded with historical meaning that could be seen as an unfortunate formulation if you apply a certain framework to it. That's all there really is to it.

We all know everything Ben would present about Japan in any way comes from a place of deep and genuine love and appreciation, but I don't think that makes him exempt from criticism if someone may find something worthy of talking about, especially as someone with a certain extent of global reach.
I really hope Ben doesn't feel discouraged to talk about his experiences in Japan because I'm really looking forward to it actually, and I also liked the first episode (in case there is any ambiguity on that)
I also hope everyone understands that I wasn't trying to talk Ben into changing the title or accuse him of racism or so. I was really just trying to offer an additional perspective of how to look at things after another user raised concern, that I generally share or at least understand, in a way that certainly didn't help his or her case.

UrbanRats

I don't really disagree with most of what you wrote here tbh, but I feel like you're moving this into a direction that is not relevant to what we were initially talking about.
No i know, that post was mostly to delineate why i think one person's personal account shouldn't be judged in the same way as a more official, institutional position should.

And it was mostly going off this line from your previous post:
And The Far East really isn't all that far for everyone living there is it. Those terms simply reek of Orientalism and Exoticism, of generalizing whole continents of diverse cultures that are oh so far away as something they really aren't nor want to be.
I understand the sentiment, and how the "otherness" of exoticism has been exploited, through history, but i think "East" (and West) has a much larger connotation than the one used by 800s english colonialists, especially in modern vernacular.

And, additionally, was also saying that i think some level of exoticism (or let's say, skewed perception) when dealing with a foreign culture is to be expected. It's probably why it is so fascinating, to interact with someone that has had a wildly different upbringing than you in the first place, even if you don't really catch all the nuances at first glance, or lump some of them together with your pre-conceived notions about the place.
To state how different a place you visited is, compared to the one you come from, isn't inherently bad i think, nor the inherent fascination for the new and unknown (and different).
It's tragic how that has been exploited (mainly for fear mongering and dehumanization), but the feeling itself comes from a neutral place, i think.

After all, even in the past there were explorers who explored for the pure pleasure of knowing more than what they did, rather than to find gold and people to exploit.

This thread is starting to stress me out. I can't believe this stupid argument is still ongoing. For the sake of Ben, maybe you should all just drop it. I think I would be pretty bummed if I released my first self-edited video about one of the most exciting trips of my life and then a bunch of people started arguing over some (inconsequential) word in the title.

ilium

No i know, that post was mostly to delineate why i think one person's personal account shouldn't be judged in the same way as a more official, institutional position should.

And it was mostly going off this line from your previous post:

I understand the sentiment, and how the "otherness" of exoticism has been exploited, through history, but i think "East" (and West) has a much larger connotation than the one used by 800s english colonialists, especially in modern vernacular.

And, additionally, was also saying that i think some level of exoticism (or let's say, skewed perception) when dealing with a foreign culture is to be expected. It's probably why it is so fascinating, to interact with someone that has had a wildly different upbringing than you in the first place, even if you don't really catch all the nuances at first glance, or lump some of them together with your pre-conceived notions about the place.
To state how different a place you visited is, compared to the one you come from, isn't inherently bad i think, nor the inherent fascination for the new and unknown (and different).
It's tragic how that has been exploited (mainly for fear mongering and dehumanization), but the feeling itself comes from a neutral place, i think.

After all, even in the past there were explorers who explored for the pure pleasure of knowing more than what they did, rather than to find gold and people to exploit.

Again, I don't really disagree with you. I think we're basically just putting a different amount of emphasis on some things.

Aka removing context and intent

The criticism is that referring to Japan as "the east" is ethnocentric.....because it is

It is a clear tounge-in-cheek reference to western explorers going to an unfamiliar land and reporting back. In western fiction it is commonly referred to as "the east". Ben is someone who only knew life in the US before but has always admired the culture and art. Referring to it as "the east" isn't dehumanizing anyone there, nor does it devalue the culture itself. The reality is, while Japan may not actually be some mystical land of magic and dreams, it is a vastly different place than what we are used to in the west.

It's not really removing anything, It's adding a layer of context that someone might want to be aware of.
I know what kind of literature Ben was referencing when he decided on a title. I also know that most of this literature is rife with some really unpleasent things about everyone who wasn't considered european. The core of the concern basically boils down to:
Why would you want to associate your product of pure adoration with something that was a product of such degradation?

Edit: I also think that this has gone long enough, we could do this forever but I think we all made our case.
I'd just like to add how great it is to be able to actually talk about something like this on the internet without having to wade through pages of shitposts and personal asults. And huge respect to Ben hopefully still willing to engage with us here and to listen to what we have to say!

Budi

This thread is starting to stress me out. I can't believe this stupid argument is still ongoing. For the sake of Ben, maybe you should all just drop it. I think I would be pretty bummed if I released my first self-edited video about one of the most exciting trips of my life and then a bunch of people started arguing over some (inconsequential) word in the title.

I agree. Nobody is going to budge anyway. And everyone has given their opinions already.

About the video itself, the friend I mentioned earlier really liked the first episode. Best 60 bucks ever spent, he said! Next episode will be the second video he will watch. Hopefully he has time for gaming in the future so he could enjoy other content you guys put out too. I've recommended Tabletop but he hasn't tried them out yet. Maybe Fiasco would be easier to get into, since it doesn't require commitment for multiple episodes.

I agree. Nobody is going to budge anyway. And everyone has given their opinions already.

About the video itself, the friend I mentioned earlier really liked the first episode. Best 60 bucks ever spent, he said! Next episode will be the second video he will watch. Hopefully he has time for gaming in the future so he could enjoy other content you guys put out too. I've recommended Tabletop but he hasn't tried them out yet. Maybe Fiasco would be easier to get into, since it doesn't require commitment for multiple episodes.
Yea try the wedding fiasco episode

Karu

Eh, I thought it was fairly interesting. and stopping a discussion because someone's feelings might be hurt in the process, ... another "eh", especially if the discussion started because apparently someone's feelings were hurt lol.

But carry on. ;-)

Still no word on the Syndrome-date? :D

Edit: I watched the Fiasco High School episode the other day from the old GT days... and wow, that was incredible. Definitely worth a watch!

I was going to challenge this again from an Asian background, but whatever. Better to let the cultural studies majors have their day. Thought this thread would be fun to read now that I'm back in the habit watching the channel, but I think I'll just take my leave.

BBboy20

Hey guys what's u-

Oh. Alright.

All the Brad songs were soooooooooo good. I was smiling the whole time. Much needed since it's been a rough wk.

Now I gotta get my Ian on...
Ben, please change your video series title. It reeks orientalism and that's not not coo. You went to Japan. Japan doesn't represent the East. The East aka the oriental, coined by racist white assholes who think they're the center of the universe.
This is not being PC, this is asking you to be aware and be respectful.

In case you don't see this, I'll post it in the youtube comments as well since ya'll usually read it there.
bunk-the-wire.gif

Dmax3901

People are getting agitated but I don't think that's enough reason to withhold my opinion so... sorry about that.

Here in Australia we have a company called Madman Entertainment who distribute a lot of anime and Asian films. They even have a company under them called Eastern Eye who have brought us the likes of Ip Man and Kurosawa's filmography. If one was trying hard enough one could look at the name 'eastern eye' and think it racist, but it's not because... I mean it's just not. No-one's mind goes there: not the people who came up with the name, and not the people who consume all these great Asian films.

My point being, yes there is a history of problematic terminology with Asia, the Orient for example is definitely outdated and I agree should not be used, but 'the East'? I mean this isn't Middle-Earth, the east is just the other side of west I don't think it's inherently bad. I think it's a matter of looking for a problem due to being overly cautious.

If it was common for Asian kids in schools to be bullied with people calling them a "fucking easterner!" then maybe we'd have a case for chilling out, but, as it stands, I think Tales from the East is fine.

All that being said Japan is the most prolific video game producing country in Asia and Ben's trip was specifically to Japan so "Tales from Japan" is also fine, and I don't think anything is lost in changing it.

Just my two yen.

Servbot24

Banned
I am sorry guys, but I just can't stand censorship.

Being an empathetic and thoughtful person isn't censorship. It's thinking about how you impact other people and being respectful. The great thing about it is that not only does it makes others feel good, it can make you feel good too.

Is there a frametrap this weekend? With Huber?
I really wanna hear his thoughts on Mafia. Yesterday I thought it was a potential GTA killer and today I wanna throw the disc in the trash.
This seems to be a pretty common trend popping up, but I'd love to know the opinions of someone who's invested in the series.

Is there a frametrap this weekend? With Huber?
I really wanna hear his thoughts on Mafia. Yesterday I thought it was a potential GTA killer and today I wanna throw the disc in the trash.
This seems to be a pretty common trend popping up, but I'd love to know the opinions of someone who's invested in the series.
Yea they recorded it today.

MrMette

Being an empathetic and thoughtful person isn't censorship. It's thinking about how you impact other people and being respectful. The great thing about it is that not only does it makes others feel good, it can make you feel good too.

Telling a creator to change their title because some word in there isn't to your liking is censorship, whether you like it or not.
It doesn't matter what reasons there are. When you change content because of some other people complaining about it, it is called censorship.

I can understand some circumstances in why it can be better to change some wording as it can hurt some people, this isn't one of those cases. Complaining about the word east is just ridiculous.

The sun comes up in the east, the first countries where the sun comes up (because of GMT which has been set a long long time ago and is the default timezone where all other timezones are calculated from) are on the right side of the map if you put GMT in the center of the map (which is the convention for timezones), this means the east. Japan is one of those countries where the sun comes up earliest.

The US is in the West of that point on the map. Those are conventions which are being used for hundreds of years in the whole world. Btw, there are plenty of Japanese people who call themselves the East as well.
"East" doesn't have anything to do with some racial slur which has been used by some idiot Brits (just to be clear, I don't mean all the British people) when they tried to colonized the world (which is indeed a sad part of history), it has to do with a compass and how conventions were set up on a map so it is the same for everybody in the world.

There is no way the word East should be censored or changed in any way in this title.
If we can not use the word east anymore as human beings, we should stop communicating altogether because if that's the case all words in the dictionary can be used as racial slurs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East

And yes, I know that in some parts of the world, they are more hypersensitive about possible racial slurs and words that can be understood as racism than in other parts of the world and it is more common to censor stuff, but come on guys.
If it isn't meant as racism, it can never be racism. It is just an innocent title made by a guy who wants to talk about his dream-trip to Japan.

ElTorro

Maybe we should be more empathetic and think about the actual negativity we are producing here, not about some theoretical and artificial complaint for which nobody can demonstrate that it makes real people feel disrespected.

ElTorro

I wish the Allies could build the same background wall that Kinda Funny has. That thing is amazing.

Mista Koo

Telling a creator to change their title because some word in there isn't to your liking is censorship, whether you like it or not.
It doesn't matter what reasons there are. When you change content because of some other people complaining about it, it is called censorship.

I can understand some circumstances in why it can be better to change some wording as it can hurt some people, this isn't one of those cases. Complaining about the word east is just ridiculous.
As ridiculous as complaining about censorship? I mean you are quite literally trying to stop this conversation because it's not to your liking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe we should be more empathetic and think about the actual negativity we are producing here, not about some theoretical and artificial complaint for which nobody can demonstrate that it makes real people feel disrespected.
This is a discussion board where we discuss things and we're keeping it civil. While I understand that some allies follow this thread this shouldn't make us discuss things differently or not at all, especially since this website is not affiliated with EZA. It's not liking we're posting to their comment section or website.

That Frame Trap comments section sure is something.

I think Tales from the East is fine in the gaming industry as we all know what he's referring to.

MrMette

As ridiculous as complaining about censorship? I mean you are quite literally trying to stop this conversation because it's not to your liking ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This is a discussion board where we discuss things and we're keeping it civil. While I understand that some allies follow this thread this shouldn't make us discuss things differently or not at all, especially since this website is not affiliated with EZA. It's not liking we're posting to their comment section or website.

I am not trying to stop the conversation, you can think and say what you want. Like I said before, conversations like this are endless and they can never be resolved as nobody is going to budge and there is no reason to have this happen. Sometimes people just disagree, there is nothing wrong with that.

If I would be telling you straight up to shut up and never talk about it again, I would be indeed censoring you. I never did and I like having a discussion, but you can always point to other people in discussion like this and telling them they do the same thing. They are pointless. It is the same thing as the Kyle did or did not do anything wrong thing in the previous thread.

It is making a lot of people uncomfortable (not in the least EZA guys themselves without a doubt) and to be honest, this is not the place to have this conversation as it is derailing the thread.

You have seen my reasoning why I don't think there is a problem. I think it is a difference in culture to begin with (as we almost never have problems with stuff that needs to be censored in Belgium and we probably care a lot less about stuff like that) and it is just a different way of thinking about everything.

The main thing is that (imo) no creator/artist should have to change their work because some other people say they have to. This is no different from Japanese games giving their character models some extra clothes or not releasing a game in specific places of the world because there is a chance some people will complain about it. it is censorship.

Do I understand some people are not happy with the title because some people a lot of years ago used the word East as a derogatory term? Sure, I understand, you guys made your point. I hope you see where I am coming from as well.

Ultimately it is up to Ben if he wants to change his title or not (which he probably already was going to do to stop this whole nonsense anyway, so you guys "won" already anyway).

There is no reason to keep dragging this thing as it makes people in here more uncomfortable as the few people in the world who care about people using the word East anyway.

Also, there is one big difference, I am telling you how I feel about it and why I think there is no reason to keep having the same conversation, I am not telling you to stop it. This conversation started by some guy telling Ben to change his title and almost called him a racist for using the term "East". This is something completely different. I don't have anything to say about what other people should do and think and it should be the same for everybody. You can think what you want, but you don't have the right to tell other people what to do because of how you think. This is what is making the internet a cancer the last couple of years and I think it is a very, very ugly thing. Some people have different opinion than others, no problem, but trying to push you agenda on other people is something that needs to stop (you can talk about how you think of course). If you don't agree with something, just don't watch the content. There is plenty of content to enjoy.

If the title needs to change, I would go for:
Tales from the E**t.

Also, I am sorry I am starting the whole thing again (it just bothers me for a couple of years that people think they can have a say in everything on the internet if they don't like it).
I have said what I have to say about the whole thing, I will try to just be quiet about it (if they don't attack me directly, it should be fine).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom