• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budi

Ben/Huber/Brad are gonna be hella hype that DQXI was now officially announced for west next year.

Btw, when is Easy Allies podcast up on Youtube?
In few hours. The schedule on their website converts the times automatically to your timezone. For the next OT this should be included in the OP too.

Servbot24

Banned
I hated the book too. I found it pretty insulting to both people who play games, and women in general for separate reasons.

The main character is OP, can play any game and master it in hours despite never having played it before, and is a piece of shit who has gems of lines like: "I was a legend, nay, a god." *shudder* And the whole thing is just a string of references thrown at you constantly like Family Guy. Remember this? And this? and this and this?

Same. The book treated its audience like complete chumps. This book has Star Wars references - that means you like it, right?? Kind of like how people watch The Walking dead even though it's a horrible show, just because there happen to be some zombies in it.

ShadyK54

Same. The book treated its audience like complete chumps. This book has Star Wars references - that means you like it, right?? Kind of like how people watch The Walking dead even though it's a horrible show, just because there happen to be some zombies in it.

That's subjective. I'm still invested & enjoy it.

At this point, I think RPO looks like something dumb and fun, although I am wanting to read the book (despite the extreme negative feedback I've seen on GAF) to satisfy my curiosity.

Only a little while longer now, I'm ready for that Fiasconauts goodness.

abrack08

Have a doctor's appointment so I won't be able to watch today's Gundam stream to pass the time at work...

But this means I can watch the archive later, and build my own Gundam along with them finally!

And of course, when I say my own Gundam, I really mean the SS2 Gohan model kit I found at Barnes and Noble
155677183.jpeg

Hasney

I didn't get around to watching the last Gundam stream and between Fiasco and Friday Frame Trap, I might not this one either.

Bahorel

Oh fuck I'm so excited this is my playset !!!! Thank youuuu you beautiful boys!

For anyone who wants to submit a playset you can email Ian

Mista Koo

I've always wondered about the Allies ages, how old is everyone?
Huber just said he'll be 29 soon, Brad should be roughly the same age. I think Ben is 27 and Kyle is 31? No one should be over 37.

Tbh I'm going to be in crisis when I turn 30, lol (28 now)
Same but I'm already stressed out about it.

Remember that when Jones discovered Kickstarter he backed every game that had zombies in it.

Tregard

Soothsayer

Brilliant work with the set! I was "The Scoop" last month, I'm very happy to see this is looking to be a regular thing :)

I *love* "We both discovered it at the same time, but they named it after you"

Lexad

Bit surprised by the high scores in the latest Trailer Jones, I watched the trailer second time today at work when I showed it to my friend. And I actually said the exact thing that Blood said "I don't know what the conflict is". The trailer had some cool imagery, but I found it to be quite a mess, not very informative and the overload of references that I should expect from the movie by watching this trailer is off-putting. Also narration in the trailer reminds me of this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Ch6N8QT00 and it's not a good thing. The "holy grail of pop culture" made me roll my eyes too. It scores some points for using Rush atleast, the use of music was good overall. I'd give it a 6 at best. I'm bit curious about the movie, not because of the trailer but I kinda want to see what Spielberg will do with material like this.

So glad that this show is back, thanks Richard!

I am relistening to the audio book and yeah it can be cringe especially with Wheaton's delivery at times

However I really enjoy the book and like the characters for the most part.

You must also remember who this trailer was meant for. It wasn't meant to be a story trailer, it was dropped at comic Con with a bunch of diehard fans who know what the book is about. They wanted to show off the pop culture and visuals to get the fans excited. The broad release trailer will have more story in it.

Servbot24

Banned
I know you can't judge a whole book by a couple of excerpts, but those are just unbelievably dreadful, good Lord.

You can judge this particular book by those excerpts. That's basically the whole book (well the whole first half, I couldn't take it any more at that point).

Bahorel

Brilliant work with the set! I was "The Scoop" last month, I'm very happy to see this is looking to be a regular thing :)

I *love* "We both discovered it at the same time, but they named it after you"

Thank you! Also I like that we're both Alex's

:)

I'm so excited because I literally put in (tagging in case you want the options to be a surprise)
grandparent and grandchild in imagining Kyle and Huber picking that and they did :) I'm grinning so much as I'm listening

And also Jones liking the Jonesbait I put in for him, haha.

Budi

I am relistening to the audio book and yeah it can be cringe especially with Wheaton's delivery at times

However I really enjoy the book and like the characters for the most part.

You must also remember who this trailer was meant for. It wasn't meant to be a story trailer, it was dropped at comic Con with a bunch of diehard fans who know what the book is about. They wanted to show off the pop culture and visuals to get the fans excited. The broad release trailer will have more story in it.
Yeah you make a good point. Here's hoping the next trailer is more focused and won't be as heavy on the references. Still giving it a chance to win me over.

Hah I had no idea at first what this was about. But now that I do, congrats! Need to check out the episode.

Auctopus

The nostalgia references in RP1 are targeting an audience that I feel Jones (from what I've learned about his cultural interests over the last 10 years) is smack-bang in the middle of. He has no chance.

For what it's worth, the book to me was so dull 'cause the writing is just so drab and self-satisfied. The author wants you to know how much he knows about every snippet of pop culture and eventually creates the literary equivalent of South Park's 'Member Berries'.

So yeah, as a piece of writing/literature it's really not great. Fortunately, Spielberg can just side-step that and hang dozens of insane set-pieces on an average story.

Bahorel

The nostalgia references in RP1 are targeting an audience that I feel Jones (from what I've learned about his cultural interests over the last 10 years) is smack-bang in the middle of. He has no chance.

For what it's worth, the book to me was so dull 'cause the writing is just so drab and self-satisfied. The author wants you to know how much he knows about every snippet of pop culture and eventually creates the literary equivalent of South Park's 'Member Berries'.

So yeah, as a piece of writing/literature it's really not great. Fortunately, Spielberg can just side-step that and hang dozens of insane set-pieces on an average story.

I was shocked to see the Iron Giant in the thumbnail since that's not in the book but I assume that the movie probably is going to add more properties they have access to

Budi

Oh boy the choices! Should I go with Frame Trap or the main podcast. I guess I'll check from the timestamps which one has more interesting topics and go by that.
Edit: I think I'll compromise, start with the Telltale segment and then jump to Frame Trap! I was really hoping they would cover these announcements!

Huber really should get future Telltale games on PC, those aren't always without problems either but with better batting average than console versions. Personally I've been real lucky, Game of Thrones had some stuttering, with Michonne I had to tinker with the settings a bit to get it running smooth and I really can't remember having serious issues with crashes on any of the games, so it's been pretty smooth sailing for me.

Hasney

Huber really should get future Telltale games on PC, those aren't always without problems either but with better batting average than console versions. Personally I've been real lucky, Game of Thrones had some stuttering, with Michonne I had to tinker with the settings a bit to get it running smooth and I really can't remember having serious issues with crashes on any of the games, so it's been pretty smooth sailing for me.

Eh, it was Walking Dead Season 1 on PC that started putting me off Telltale after being a fan with Sam and Max and Monkey Island. That's when my issues started. Picked up future ones when cheap and more issues, then the PS4 PS+ ones with yet more. I feel like the Telltale Tool was iterated on and iterated on that it's just bloated now.

Still, they write good story and kt was the CEO that designed the engine and allegedly made them keep using it, so I remain hopeful that a real new engine will happen sooner or later.

An EZA anime update. Ben announced at the end of the GOG stream They're recording it right now and will have it up tonight or in my time zone I guess when I wake up.

Man I've got the podcast, Fiasconauts, Frametrap, soon EZAnime, a EZA Q&A, a RE2 full playthrough, and the first two hours of the Gundam stream. They went from real quiet to me drowning in content. I'll be working off this backlog all weekend

ShadyK54

Americans looking at EZA this Friday like

andre.gif

Yeeeeah, I'm not sleeping tonight. At least I'll have a lot to listen to while playing Zelda.

Edit: small side note: just updated the Twitch mobile app & they've finally added chat replay & being able to view chat in landscape mode. About time lol.

Jesus. That's unbearable. Also, no Frank Herbert in that list of authors?! GTFO.

The Ready Player One trailer is very pretty and it's fun to try and spot all the references but that's about it. It's a poor trailer with a very jarring transition to the racing part.

TBH, while Spielberg's dramatic films are still top notch (loved Bridge of Spies), I haven't much liked his action-adventure movies over the last decade or so. I find his action sequences to be way too over the top and goofy for my liking, so I doubt I'll even watch it.

Great job getting through all the E3 stuff and editing them down into the bite sized chunks, I can't imagine how much work it was.

One little criticism I have of part 3 is it's a bit jarring the way you skipped over Jones' broth and noodles.

Eh, it was Walking Dead Season 1 on PC that started putting me off Telltale after being a fan with Sam and Max and Monkey Island. That's when my issues started. Picked up future ones when cheap and more issues, then the PS4 PS+ ones with yet more. I feel like the Telltale Tool was iterated on and iterated on that it's just bloated now.

Still, they write good story and kt was the CEO that designed the engine and allegedly made them keep using it, so I remain hopeful that a real new engine will happen sooner or later.

And Take 2 will drop the Smackdown engine aaaaaany year now.

Has EZA done a segment dedicated to PUBG on any of the pods? Maybe I missed it but 6 million deep I thought they might discuss it in depth.

Ben and Ian played it on an Easy Update episode a couple months ago.

Hasney

And Take 2 will drop the Smackdown engine aaaaaany year now.

Aha, I'm putting this in the same category as if 2k were firing Yukes... A big maybe in terms of quality, but if they sort it out, then fucking brilliant. He was allegedly the one that wanted it to be in his engine.

Still, I need proof, so I'll just watch closely.

kevin1025

Banned
I have to admit, the internet's hatred for RPO makes me want to read it.

It's not as awful as some act. But it is also not for everyone. If you like references in your fiction, this book is the end-all be-all of references. But the writing isn't particularly well done. But for all of its faults, I still ended up really, really liking the book. It's worth trying out, if you can find a sample or two on the internet if you don't want to invest fully right away.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Waiting for EZAnime...

Bunch_37a4f5_5852274.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLwa6fmqvU-4GRUweXzHksknxdPf22wSQ4&v=iN_noFzoHSo

It's up. I think the changes for EZAnime regarding long running series sounds honestly way smart. Making the focus not cover everything(as even if they watch everything it's generally not possibly anyway) but instead just share the excitement/lack of it for what they already watched and make that discussion interesting sounds way better.

Also not far in but energy feels pretty high in this EZAnime, it's hard not to think that this is the huber effect haha.

Auctopus

The conversation about Fortnite really went in a different direction to what I was expecting. This is Epic Games, not some indie developer. The corporate defence force was a little strong for me.

Developers have been vilified for far less greedy practices.

munchie64

Great EZAnime, really happy with the long running series being more broad discussion wise - means I don't have to watch a lot of whatever they're talking about lol (didn't quite finish Ippo season 1 this time round). But seriously, there are a lot of good shorter anime out there - most things are 13 episodes these days and even back then a decent amount was in the 20s. Every now and then the polls should just be limited to those for Ben and Brad's sanity.

Also, good call Ben on that Kobayashi's Dragon Maid call out. Recently rewatched that on the twitch marathon and it's good stuff (mostly).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom