• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lexad

Personally it just bums me out a bit when people act like a non-linear story is the "correct" way to tell a story in a game. Most of my favorite games have movie-like linear stories, I don't want those to go away because some people think they aren't properly utilizing player agency or whatever.

Mass Effect is a perfect example of a nice blend of openess but clear story telling. Also why I am glad the main character is voiced because he interacts with the world. Unlike you Persona 5/ Fallout/ Skyrim.

To Ben, you were hoping for more humour in the latest Frame Trap. In case you haven't already, get Grim Fandango. Or basically anything from the Lucas Arts adventure days, I feel that Grim Fandango is the peak though. It's truly one of the greats. It will give you all the witty writing you want and then some. Or hit me up with a PM and I'll gift you my extra key for Day of the Tentacle from Humble Bundle.
I second Grim Fandango, sooo good.

mcw

Personally it just bums me out a bit when people act like a non-linear story is the "correct" way to tell a story in a game. Most of my favorite games have movie-like linear stories, I don't want those to go away because some people think they aren't properly utilizing player agency or whatever.

Well, I hear what you're saying.

First, let's accept that there's a place for storytelling in games that is essentially a movie with some added interactivity-- certainly I wouldn't want those to go away, I just don't want them to be the majority of the games available to me.

That said, think of it like this: Once you have a plot for your game, what's the next step? Do you stop there, and design a game that routes players from points A to B to C? Or do you build a world around the plot, with places to explore, things to do, and other characters to meet at your leisure? The latter is where games can shine-- they allow you to inhabit a story to a degree that's harder with books and impossible with movies.

If every game were like that, we'd be missing out on the shorter, more directed experiences like Uncharted. Even within that form, there's opportunity to make innovative use of the medium-- Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons being one of my favorite examples in recent years. So, speaking for myself, I certainly don't want those experiences to go away. I just feel that comparing games to movies in a storytelling context is unimaginative and sells the medium of games short.

I think there's nothing in principle wrong with linear video game stories, I just don't think the medium is well suited to it. Which is a nice way of saying, "if I have a great linear story to tell and can choose any medium I want, it sure as shit isn't going to be a video game"

Imagine The Wire as a videogame. IMO it doesn't matter if we get the best vg devs ever and unlimited money, by choosing that medium we made it worse.

Bergerac

I brought Huber's attention to Who Killed Captain Alex? and Ugandan action movies during the RE2 stream. He knows it exists now.

I am fulfilled. XD

I think there's nothing in principle wrong with linear video game stories, I just don't think the medium is well suited to it. Which is a nice way of saying, "if I have a great linear story to tell and can choose any medium I want, it sure as shit isn't going to be a video game"

Imagine The Wire as a videogame. IMO it doesn't matter if we get the best vg devs ever and unlimited money, by choosing that medium we made it worse.

This is silly. You could use the same argument to argue that books are a superior form of storytelling than movies or TV Shows, so there's no point making those either.

Personally, I like all kinds of different stories in my videogames. Variety keeps things interesting and exciting, letting developers push the industry forward in various different creative directions. Closing the door on one of those directions is the kind of thing that would make me significantly less interested in games. So I guess I'll just point to a Neil Druckmann tweet from a few months ago:

7Z0bLZ6.png

Rockk

I got inspired by the other Allies that submitted Fiasco playsets so I started working on a Wrestling playset with Huber and Brad in mind specifically.

This is a lot of fun.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Some thoughts on this week's Hottake...

Kyle recently said something like this on a podcast, something to the effect of, "There's no way I could ever enjoy a video game's story more than a movie or a TV show".

What a foolishly myopic and naive statement to make. Have to say that unscripted Kyle has not impressed me in EZA content compared to his Final Bosman days.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I got inspired by the other Allies that submitted Fiasco playsets so I started working on a Wrestling playset with Huber and Brad in mind specifically.

This is a lot of fun.

Writing your own set is a real blast, glad more people are doing it :) Personal tip: roll a few dice when you've got an outline, to check you can build interesting permutations no matter what numbers the players end up with.

Good luck with it! I hope to see it on a Fiasconauts soon :)

Also, if anyone wants to download "The Scoop" playset, I have a link available to it!

Servbot24

Banned
Gundam Gundam Gundam

Except instead of playing the video game can we watch them make the model Gundams created so far have a fighting tournament?

This is silly. You could use the same argument to argue that books are a superior form of storytelling than movies or TV Shows, so there's no point making those either.
The argument isn't that we shouldn't make story-based videogames, just that there are inherent limitations to the medium that we shouldn't try to hand wave away. Limitations can be a good thing, when creators work around them and fully take advantage of the things the medium *is* good for. There are videogames that simply cannot work as film or TV or books.

Likewise, there are things movies are better at than TV, and vice versa. There are things that books are better at than both, and vice versa

Bosman

GUILTY videogame man
What a foolishly myopic and naive statement to make. Have to say that unscripted Kyle has not impressed me in EZA content compared to his Final Bosman days.

It's a dramatic misquote, so I wonder who between us was foolishly myopic and naive!
(Kyle puffs up his chest and struts out of the ballroom)

Philippo

Man i feel so bad, i've been on my first serious job for only two weeks and i'm already lagging behind in EZA content like a crazy. I now have to move the podcast to Monday morning for daily commute, same for FT when its out. I haven't seen a single stream since i've started, and i missed last week's HH and EZU.

Feels bad man...

mishakoz

Watching the Jedi Academy playthrough.

It would be nice if someone who knew the game was sitting in to help move things along. 42 minutes in and onto the first level... really slow.

Same goes for FTL.

Hasney

Watching the Jedi Academy playthrough.

It would be nice if someone who knew the game was sitting in to help move things along. 42 minutes in and onto the first level... really slow.

Same goes for FTL.

Nah, it was funny as shit. Killing the guy meant to save and the tree falling :lol

Still, was bummed after the Rollercoaster Tycoon hype on the Gundam stream, but sounds like they had issues.

It's beach house stream this weekend right?

Two questions:

1. Will it all be uploaded to YouTube?
2. If yes, how long after the event, realistically, will it be?

Twitch and I just don't get along.

mishakoz

Nah, it was funny as shit. Killing the guy meant to save and the tree falling :lol

Still, was bummed after the Rollercoaster Tycoon hype on the Gundam stream, but sounds like they had issues.

I should clarify, they can screw around but Its nice to keep the pace moving, especially since they wont return to the game. I want to see the reaction to other stuff in the game, like the sandworms, or Hoth, etc.

Hasney

It's beach house stream this weekend right?

Two questions:

1. Will it all be uploaded to YouTube?
2. If yes, how long after the event, realistically, will it be?

Twitch and I just don't get along.

No idea, but there's announcements happening on Tuesday's group stream about the beach house. Blood does the uploading mostly so if he sees it maybe he can clarify. Since there's an actual schedule being announced on Tuesday, it would be good if segments could be uploaded close after. At least the times when Blood is awake!

Mista Koo

Skipping voting this week.

Personally, I like all kinds of different stories in my videogames. Variety keeps things interesting and exciting, letting developers push the industry forward in various different creative directions. Closing the door on one of those directions is the kind of thing that would make me significantly less interested in games.
Yep. Same argument for "what a game can be." Sure I'll find most game stories terrible and there are a lot of games that I don't consider games, but the medium is young so it can (and should) grow and change rapidly.

I think it's okay to say you can find it right here: http://www.ianhinck.com/ and click on "who"

As to dice rolls I found myself accidentally saving my more irreverent thoughts for roll 6 , so I had to mix that up upon editing. I tried to spread out my options based on humor, making sure that like ones that were a little more zany were on different numbers than the number before it. I did not try to match them by subject matter tho.

I found writing a fiasco a bit more challenging than I initially realized because every option needs 36 possibilities and I found it required a lot of thought to think of something unique as opposed to filler material. But I based it on my favorite place in the world (New York's natural history museum) so I relied on my knowledge of the place itself to come up with more things. If for any reason you wanna see my PDF it's here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7TCkGtsr4HqR1pZblNTTWVWZEE/view?usp=sharing

Also the flat earth option was a very very late addition to the playset and I'm so glad I threw it in at the last second because they made it so magical
There is a contact form now, no email address.

And yeah, I have like one main heading for each category that I was able to immediately fill, and absolutely no idea how to fill the rest. I guess I'll just research tropes.

Bahorel

There is a contact form now, no email address.

And yeah, I have like one main heading for each category that I was able to immediately fill, and absolutely no idea how to fill the rest. I guess I'll just research tropes.

PMed you.

I think when in doubt one can send mail to askeasyallies since that's the address they make publicly available. That's how I first got in touch, I sent my letter there noting it was for Ian and Ian wrote back to me from his own email. The allies are also very responsive on twitter. Most of the times I've talked to any of them they reply quite quickly.

If you need help brainstorming let me know! I kept a copy of back to the old house open so I could have a style example and listened to a few of their setups over again to figure out how to go about it. You can download a ton off here if you need inspiration http://fiascoplaysets.com/

This is a lot of fun.

This will legit make my year. You could probably tell by my username but I'm a huge wrestling fan. I'm always that guy in Twitch chat bugging Huber or Brad if they've watched the latest and greatest NJPW match (which is honestly all the time).

Make sure to have a Stone Cold, AJ Styles, or Bray Wyatt joke in there.

Bahorel

This will legit make my year. You could probably tell by my username but I'm a huge wrestling fan. I'm always that guy in Twitch chat bugging Huber or Brad if they've watched the latest and greatest NJPW match (which is honestly all the time).

Make sure to have a Stone Cold, AJ Styles, or Bray Wyatt joke in there.

Brad has yet to be in Fiasconauts, right? Did he ever do one at GT?

Rockk

Glad everyone liked the Wrestling Fiasco idea. That's more motivation to get it done!

I really liked the High School one from the GT days but it's been a while since I've watched most of them. I think I tend to prefer the more straight forward stories. Which often times has no correlation to the actual playset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom