• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auctopus

As someone's who's pretty politically switched-on, especially in regards to Brexit, I really don't need the Allies talking/tweeting about it.

If the politics affect video-games in some way or are relevant to the topic then sure, go nuts (See: the excellent Palmer Luckey Frame Trap) but I don't need the guys to acknowledge political events for the sake of it (I don't know if that's what you were getting at Mista Koo?)

UrbanRats

As someone's who's pretty politically switched-on, especially in regards to Brexit, I really don't need the Allies talking/tweeting about it.

If the politics affect video-games in some way or are relevant to the topic then sure, go nuts (See: the excellent Palmer Luckey Frame Trap) but I don't need the guys to acknowledge political events for the sake of it (I don't know if that's what you were getting at Mista Koo?)

I figure not everything they do has to relate to Easy Allies, let alone videogames, so with their personal Twitter, they should do whatever.

I'll say though, Twitting political stuff just for the sake of it is dumb, infact, it's better if you don't, unless you really know what you're talking about.
The risk of talking out of your ass is high, and twiting isn't a moral imperative.

Servbot24

Banned
I figure not everything they do has to relate to Easy Allies, let alone videogames, so with their personal Twitter, they should do whatever.

I'll say though, Twitting political stuff just for the sake of it is dumb, infact, it's better if you don't, unless you really know what you're talking about.
The risk of talking out of your ass is high, and twiting isn't a moral imperative.
There are a number of things worth voicing displeasure over no matter what your occupation is. If my company is upset that I voice my displeasure with racism in a Facebook status then I don't want to work for them anyways.

UrbanRats

There are a number of things worth voicing displeasure over no matter what your occupation is. If my company is upset that I voice my displeasure with racism in a Facebook status then I don't want to work for them anyways.

I'm not sure how that relates to what i said tho.
I said their personal Twitter isn't beholden to what is relevant to games/Easy Allies, and then i said that, on a personal level, you may not want to Tweet about political subjects, just because you don't want to enter a discussion you don't feel like having (be it because you just don't want to, or because you don't know enough about it, and don't feel like you'd be adding anything of value).

I never said Easy Allies as a company impedes (or should impede) them from twitting whatever political statement they want.

Now that Sony's announced a Paris Games Week conference for late October, I wonder if EZA could have a betting special covering both TGS and PGW? The timing is a bit weird, since TGS is in mid-September, so that's like a month and a half gap between the two, but it'd still be fun.

Mikey Jr.

Why is it when Don edits reviews, the footers are always so bare bones. Makes the review look cheap. Why aren't they uniform across all reviews?

Auctopus

Sorry, I think I might be miscommunicating.

I'm not really talking about Twitter/personal accounts etc. I'm talking about associating political commentary with their outlet.

For example, having topics on the podcast regarding current political events. I'm aware that is very unlikely but I was riffing of the conversation from the last page about Kyle jokingly (and Huber almost seriously) talking about Brexit. Or the fact whenever Ian brings up the topic of treating people/character/developers with equality/respect - the YT comments explode with "politics in videogames". The guys have proven that they can do relevant 'politicised' topics very well.

I'm all for them expressing themsevles (preferrably tastefully) on personal accounts, it was more my disdain for the idea of EZA (a place I use for partial escapism) diluting their content output with actual politics.

-------------

At the end of the day, current politics are relatively polarising. Regarding this weekend's events, I don't need a conversation confirming that the Allies are in fact not on the side of the Nazis.

Servbot24

Banned
I'm not sure how that relates to what i said tho.
I said their personal Twitter isn't beholden to what is relevant to games/Easy Allies, and then i said that, on a personal level, you may not want to Tweet about political subjects, just because you don't want to enter a discussion you don't feel like having (be it because you just don't want to, or because you don't know enough about it, and don't feel like you'd be adding anything of value).

I never said Easy Allies as a company impedes (or should impede) them from twitting whatever political statement they want.
I'm not arguing :p

CyReN

Random, but does anybody know where to find a review of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons by GameTrailers? Been playing it recently and wanted to watch it, most of the time I can find older reviews with no problems but this one just vanished.

Budi

Random, but does anybody know where to find a review of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons by GameTrailers? Been playing it recently and wanted to watch it, most of the time I can find older reviews with no problems but this one just vanished.
Hmm odd, only could find a preview too. According to Metacritic they gave it 88. Excellent game!

Visceir

Considering what happened to KF I'd imagine taking political stances/talking politics is just playing with fire. You'll never really know how big of your fanbase you might upset and there is way more to lose than there is to gain.

Since it's nine of them in the group there's a pretty good chance not even all of them are on the same page with every issue.

It could have been lost, the server transition from Viacom to Defy was not pretty.

Budi

So glad to get a confirmation that Brad is working on Lawbreakers review. I'm playing it myself already so really don't need any opinions on it. But EZA has the best reviews in the biz and it's interesting to hear Brad's thoughts on it. I'm loving it myself, would score it 4/5.

Auctopus

Gonna probably finish the new OT tomorrow night and might post it that night as well.

Just nobody have some freakout/rant so we don't hit 400 before then.

Looking at the stream schedule and Damiani doing a sonic mania full playthrough with YoVideogames? That's a fun crossover. I know they're friends but this would be the first time they'd all be on EZA's channel. It'd be cool if Max hosted the stream for more exposure as well. Unless it'll be the other way around and EZA hosts Max's stream. That probably makes more sense

What's Bloodworth talking about on Twitter?

Sorry if it's been discussed, I checked the last few pages here and they're all about Ian.

We delight in differences among our community. Love each other to the best of your ability. Show respect when discussing differing opinions.

Yes, racism is wrong. I chose to express that by stating values that I believe are firmly anti-racist that we can all improve upon.

Saddens me that people I care about have interpreted the opposite of what I meant.

Hasney

I dunno. Nothing seems to pop up in his twitter timeline that would appear to be something that could be misinterpreted by people he cares for

Look at the timestamps and replies

"We delight in differences among our community. Love each other to the best of your ability. Show respect when discussing differing opinions." Was 2 hours ago and that's what people are referring to.

It's with no context though and could be talking about something else or just generally reflecting, but people assumed it was about the rally as tensions are high.

The other two were later in response to the reaction of the first.

Basically: Twitter happened.

Look at the timestamps and replies

"We delight in differences among our community. Love each other to the best of your ability. Show respect when discussing differing opinions." Was 2 hours ago and that's what people are referring to.

It's with no context though and could be talking about something else or just generally reflecting, but people assumed it was about the rally as tensions are high.

The other two were later in response to the reaction of the first.

Basically: Twitter happened.
Ah. Yea I glossed over the time stamps. It wouldn't even surprise me that he originally was posting about the YouTube comments he's been cleaning up. Blood is the only one that I know that goes in, cleans up the trash and takes action regarding YouTube comments

But people seem to have taken it another way and running with it?

Considering what happened to KF I'd imagine taking political stances/talking politics is just playing with fire. You'll never really know how big of your fanbase you might upset and there is way more to lose than there is to gain.

Since it's nine of them in the group there's a pretty good chance not even all of them are on the same page with every issue.

While some of that may be true, as a personality driven website I don't like the idea of them censoring themselves. That doesn't mean that they need to go and start a politics podcast, but I think there are plenty of video game journalists that voice their political opinions while maintaining a diverse fanbase. As far as the current situation, I would hope they are all on the same page when it comes to hating Nazis. People complaining about the Allies taking a stance on white nationalists should also probably stay away from Star Wars, Indiana Jones, etc...

Naythan

What's Bloodworth talking about on Twitter?

Sorry if it's been discussed, I checked the last few pages here and they're all about Ian.

Basically Blood put out that tweet which, while anti-racist and pretty harmless overall as you can see in his clarification, is probably a little too vague for some people's tastes after this weekend where a lot of lines have been drawn in the sand in american politics. For many, the events this weekend were sort of an all-or-nothing event. Either you come out and decry hate and bigotry under the label of white nationalism, or you tacitly approve of them with your silence and/or dismissal.

Kaylee Murdoch, friend of the allies and well-known for her art of the boys, who for one reason or another has distanced herself from EZA and the EZA fandom lately, took Blood's tweet as a statement claiming that everyone needs to respect each other no matter what. I.E. We should respect nazis even if we don't agree with them.

This has gone on further with some other people from the EZA fandom bristling at and being upset about EZA's pretty politically "neutral" stance. Blood came out to clarify that his statement was anti-racist and that he was sad that people he cared about misinterpreted the message (though once again the initial statement's vagueness felt particularly off after this weekend).

I'm personally a fan of having some escapism in my life and do lump EZA programming in that category. Of course they all have their personal lives and social media presences and it's hard to not associate that with the shows sometimes. I understand why some fans would be upset to see EZA members, who preach L&R, make a statement without taking a clear stance against a blatant display of hate. It's a slippery slope but I don't personally hold any of them accountable for having trouble navigating these complicated waters that the actually company they work for is somewhat far removed from.

Maybe there is more to it than this, some of these fans are pretty good friends with members of the group and maybe they have knowledge about something that is making them more angry. I'm not sure much good can come from going any deeper into this, I'm just here to explain what I think is going on from a bystander's perspective.

Mista Koo

Sorry, I think I might be miscommunicating.

I'm not really talking about Twitter/personal accounts etc. I'm talking about associating political commentary with their outlet.
Oh I'm just talking about Twitter personal accounts. Simple tweets like this often help.

Gonna probably finish the new OT tomorrow night and might post it that night as well.

Just nobody have some freakout/rant so we don't hit 400 before then.
Reminder to have actual photos of the allies if you can. I'm not sure if they have a publicity photo with all of them or not yet.

Auctopus

Reminder to have actual photos of the allies if you can. I'm not sure if they have a publicity photo with all of them or not yet.

Ive kept that in mind but unfortunately I haven't really found decent photos/press shots so I'm gonna be using the illustrations for the meanwhile. I'm as eager to switch to photos as you but the best I can muster is crummy screen grabs from Podcasts.

Ive kept that in mind but unfortunately I haven't really found decent photos/press shots so I'm gonna be using the illustrations for the meanwhile. I'm as eager to switch to photos as you but the best I can muster is crummy screen grabs from Podcasts.
What about the early EZA betting special where they do the pan up reveal shots? They weren't using costumes for the first one or so (if I remember correctly)

Auctopus

What about the early EZA betting special where they do the pan up reveal shots? They weren't using costumes for the first one or so (if I remember correctly)

Funnily enough, that was the first place I tried when I made OT2 but having pensive/mean looking Allies looks kinda weird. I've tried lots of different photos, including a Final Fantasy XV style face collage as a banner - i preferably need HQ photos.

I can always change the OT later, it'll be fine.

Karu

Back from vacation, so much content as feared lol. Probably skipping a lot. Easy Livin' is still a thing I wanna watch so, completely.

As to the political stuff - I do not care for the Allies to discuss politics, because I don't necessarily thing any one of them could provide value with maybe a few exceptions on specific topics (that usually tend to be pretty black & white topics like harassment/representation e.g.), but if it is their personal Twitter acc or comes from an honest position regardless, I'd say.. fire away! Of course, as with anything, you gotta live with the consequenes and potential backlash.

Not currently playing anything myself, but eagerly awating Kiwami and Rabbids (*sigh* :p) and LiS Prequel. Also probably will buy Mania in a bit, although I never touched a Sonic game in my life. Due to budget I probably have to delay Everybody's Golf for a bit.Hope to get a great stream on the latter from the Allies.

Budi

Funnily enough, that was the first place I tried when I made OT2 but having pensive/mean looking Allies looks kinda weird. I've tried lots of different photos, including a Final Fantasy XV style face collage as a banner - i preferably need HQ photos.

I can always change the OT later, it'll be fine.
Since you are working on the new OT, please include their website! Like if there's going to be a graphic with links to youtube, store etc. would be good to have the website with similar visibility.Also if it fits the design you are going for, mentioning that the schedule converts to your specific timezone would be helpful I think.

Edit:
And it's damn nuts that people jump to conclusions that Bloodworth would think of racism and even fucking nazis being "different opinion to be respected". Like what the hell...get a grip people. People treating Blood like he would be Trump. I'm so sorry Blood, must feel horrible.

giphy.gif

Naythan

Basically Blood put out that tweet which, while anti-racist and pretty harmless overall as you can see in his clarification, is probably a little too vague for some people's tastes after this weekend where a lot of lines have been drawn in the sand in american politics. For many, the events this weekend were sort of an all-or-nothing event. Either you come out and decry hate and bigotry under the label of white nationalism, or you tacitly approve of them with your silence and/or dismissal.

Kaylee Murdoch, friend of the allies and well-known for her art of the boys, who for one reason or another has distanced herself from EZA and the EZA fandom lately, took Blood's tweet as a statement claiming that everyone needs to respect each other no matter what. I.E. We should respect nazis even if we don't agree with them.

This has gone on further with some other people from the EZA fandom bristling at and being upset about EZA's pretty politically "neutral" stance. Blood came out to clarify that his statement was anti-racist and that he was sad that people he cared about misinterpreted the message (though once again the initial statement's vagueness felt particularly off after this weekend).

I'm personally a fan of having some escapism in my life and do lump EZA programming in that category. Of course they all have their personal lives and social media presences and it's hard to not associate that with the shows sometimes. I understand why some fans would be upset to see EZA members, who preach L&R, make a statement without taking a clear stance against a blatant display of hate. It's a slippery slope but I don't personally hold any of them accountable for having trouble navigating these complicated waters that the actually company they work for is somewhat far removed from.

Maybe there is more to it than this, some of these fans are pretty good friends with members of the group and maybe they have knowledge about something that is making them more angry. I'm not sure much good can come from going any deeper into this, I'm just here to explain what I think is going on from a bystander's perspective.

Looking further into it I feel like particularly pointing out Kaylee in this case wasn't right, she was just one of the people I follow so I saw her reply first. Looking at the replies to Blood's initial tweet a pretty large contingent of EZA fans took umbrage with what he said and criticized EZA's political neutrality after the events in Charlottesville this weekend.

Nah, KF were a unique case in that Colin had sold himself for years as a right wing video game journalist and was prone to being an asshole on twitter. Once his former co-workers had finally had enough of the latter, the audience he'd attracted by doing the former threw a tantrum.

If EZA talked politics, you'd probably get a few disgruntled people and some assholes on Youtube but I'm pretty sure they'd be outliers, nothing like KF. Personally, I don't think they should shy away from it at all. I think Damiani in particular has addressed a couple of "political" questions/subjects really well in the past and I'd like to see more of the others do the same.

Anyway, I wonder if Huber will try to review Observer. It seems right up his alley and I'm intrigued enough by the buzz around it that he could probably sell me on it. Who would've thought the latest game from the developers of Basement Crawl and Layers of Fear would be reviewing so well?

ShadyK54

Edit:
And it's damn nuts that people jump to conclusions that Bloodworth would think of racism and even fucking nazis being "different opinion to be respected". Like what the hell...get a grip people. People treating Blood like he would be Trump. I'm so sorry Blood, must feel horrible.

giphy.gif

Yeah, I started reading from the replies Naythan linked & it's pretty saddening.

Don't think I saw this linked, but I felt Jones' small response is pretty apt.

https://twitter.com/trailerjones/status/896771513256263681

If you're going to make statements on social media about sensitive subjects it's probably best to keep things as clear cut and direct as possible. Especially when the issues are recent and emotionally charged.

But that's just me, I try to be aware of what people might make out of what I put out there. Like say the other day I put out a FB post saying "Do what you need to do to fight for what you believe in." I meant to be active, protest, write, debate, etc but I quickly realized someone could take that as meaning conducting violence, so I removed it. I then followed it up with a long and passionate statement that more clearly defined what I want to say.

Also this is one of the many reasons I hate Twitter and wish it wasn't a thing. It's hard to convey oneself well in a tweet.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Good on the boys for the tweet they just put out. What happened this weekend was too important to ignore and they are clearly aware of that.

Now that EZA have condemned Nazism, the alt-right will take time to reflect on its actions and look to redeem themselves lol.

Jesus, some people really need to get their priorities straight.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Now that EZA have condemned Nazism, the alt-right will take time to reflect on its actions and look to redeem themselves lol.

Now that you did another shitlevel snark the world has truly become a better place and future post will be a true joy to read lol.

Maybe take your own advice.

Axass

Good on the boys for the tweet they just put out. What happened this weekend was too important to ignore and they are clearly aware of that.

I still struggle to understand how did we end up in a world where it's necessary to make a statement against nazis, racists and the KKK, as if it wasn't obvious that those are vile people, or you could be mistaken for one. What a shitty world we live in.

Auctopus

I agree. I hope they didn't feel pressured to tweet that because of certain fans. Kind of ridiculous to imagine that the Allies would have a stance any different from that.

I still struggle to understand how did we end up in a world where it's necessary to make a statement against nazis, racists and the KKK, as if it wasn't obvious that those are vile people, or you could be mistaken for one. What a shitty world we live in.

It's the unfortunate reality we live in. And it's something hard to ignore, especially in the gaming sphere with certain communities on the net.

Glad EZA put out a tweet, for which I'm sure they'll get some hate towards them, but I think it's very well worth the message and support.

Budi

I mean yeah, I understand where you are coming from. I don't expect them to issue an Twitter statement for every terrorist act happening. To me it's been clear for a long time that they condemn hate, opression and violence. But still, tweet like that won't hurt anyone. If it gives some relief or hope to people, go for it.
Yup.

Tregard

Soothsayer

I also think it's just nice to have that sort of moral support from people you feel you can trust on somewhere like Twitter.

Auctopus

I already knew them to be quite cliquey on Twitch but I'm really gonna see those "hardcore" fans in a different light after reading those ridiculous tweets. I'm not sure where they get off making suggestive accusations like that or sulking.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

I struggle to, but even in my bubble over here it's time to accept 2016. It's important to speak up clearly against it no matter what some people may(that clearly haven't read a history book) think.

People should not underestimate the effect of sending a clear cut message that people that only spread hate are not welcome and excluded from any basic respect.
Now that doesn't mean I need them nor want them to get more "political"(again from my view a lot of what is labeled as political in the US seems more like moral questions to me.) But it's important to be clear if you make the statement. And that is totally beside the point whether it is obvious where they stand or not.

Also what being on here and the discord has taught me is that shitty people generally have stayed shitty despite given tons of chances to respond with L&R in kind.

CyReN

While I appreciate the sentiment, it sucks they have to put stuff out there like that to please some as it wasn't already obvious. Maybe I'm the weird one here, but never got the whole crossover thing with politics - I follow gaming stuff for games and news.

I get why they did it, and I really have no problem with it. Just my 2c on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom