• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

luchadork

It's incredible how good this game is. I remember loving Yakuza 4 and I knew I would love this one as well, but I am surprised how good they are at writing a story. You saw on Easy Livin' that a lot of the Allies where invested in the story as well and they only saw a tiny amount of it.

the story and writing in it is truly top of class. one of the best stories in any game. which i was NOT expecting. its funny every show case of the game i saw was about how wacky the game was and all the side activities you can do. but its the story which is so captivating. really is on another level. sophisticated, smart, and exciting.

Budi

Anyway in a half-assed attempt to change the subject: Pyre is really good.
Really intrigued about the game, even though I didn't dig Bastion at all. The voiceover is great and soundtrack is brilliant, I assume this one has excellent soundtrack too. Haven't booted up Transistor yet either. But will probably pick up Pyre at some point.

Wow, the last couple of pages really are something. The thread has moved on, so I won't get into it but I will say that making a vague statement straight after a horrific event when emotions are still running high is a bad move. It was a mistake but one that I thought Blood did a good job correcting.

Anyway, with Blood on the podcast this week, I wonder if Shadow of War will be brought up. I hope it does because man, the story in that game sounds like something Uwe Boll would come up with. And that's before you even try to take the skeevy microtransactions into account.

So I just finished Kingdom Hearts on hard. Yay me! Now to finish it again on the easiest difficulty, in under 15 hours and with the default equipment... I don't know why I'm forcing myself to go for the plats with the KH games but I am and their trophy lists are the worst.

Hasney

Ha, we're doing the same thing LiquidSolid. In the last world on the beginner mode speed-run after doing proud and lost interest after dying to the big devil boss though. Might try again this weekend sans hangover.

Auctopus

So I just finished Kingdom Hearts on hard. Yay me! Now to finish it again on the easiest difficulty, in under 15 hours and with the default equipment... I don't know why I'm forcing myself to go for the plats with the KH games but I am and their trophy lists are the worst.

Some of my favourite games but those trophy lists are disgusting.

Bahorel

Oh man I can't believe you're going for it. That's the kind of shit that made me quit trophy hunting. The only non stacking difficulty I remember going for was Alice Madness Returns because you could chapter select to the final scene and have it count. But anything else and it feels like the game is deliberately wasting your time.

Speaking of multiple playthrough I'm on my third round of Nier so I just started route C, it's crazy because you play route A and B which I feel are kind of equivalent to new game and new game +, and now I start route C and it feels like a completely different game/sequel. It's so odd to me this is kind of hidden in there, I wonder how many people who bought Nier didn't go beyond route A? If I wasn't told by the podcasts to keep doing the playthroughs I'm not sure I would have known it was worth it to commit to doing that.

Hasney

Oh man I can't believe you're going for it. That's the kind of shit that made me quit trophy hunting. The only non stacking difficulty I remember going for was Alice Madness Returns because you could chapter select to the final scene and have it count. But anything else and it feels like the game is deliberately wasting your time.

PS4 difficulty trophies do stack. They finally corrected it from the PS3 version.

Ha, we're doing the same thing LiquidSolid. In the last world on the beginner mode speed-run after doing proud and lost interest after dying to the big devil boss though. Might try again this weekend sans hangover.

Ha, wacky coincidence. I'm guessing you're playing the PS4 version? I started the PS3 version years ago, where I finished a Normal run, so I've stuck with that for this game and will move over to the PS4 versions for any other ones.

I'm really looking forward to playing Birth by Sleep and even Re: Chain of Memories because I've never played them before but just getting through this one has been a fairly long process.

Some of my favourite games but those trophy lists are disgusting.

For real. I can understand difficulty trophies in action games, like Uncharted, because they encourage multiple playthroughs of a relatively short campaign. But I HATE them in RPGs because they don't make any sense. Getting 100% in them is already almost always a lengthy process, so there's no real need to encourage people to play for even longer. And to top those off, Square Enix also decided to add trophies for a speed run, a default equipment run and a no continues run. I don't understand why anyone thought this was a good idea.

It's awful and has taken me a long time to motivate myself to play it again but I really want to get all the plats before KH3 comes out. I probably won't make it in time (assuming KH3 does come out next year) but I'm trying.

Hasney

Ha, wacky coincidence. I'm guessing you're playing the PS4 version? I started the PS3 version years ago, where I finished a Normal run, so I've stuck with that for this game and will move over to the PS4 versions for any other ones.

I'm really looking forward to playing Birth by Sleep and even Re: Chain of Memories because I've never played them before but just getting through this one has been a fairly long process.

Yeah, PS4. I actually never finished it on PS2, got stuck somewhere then got distracted, then on PS3 the fetch quest annoyed me too much so I made myself get through it on PS4 (frame rate and load times being better helped) and then started loving it.

Don't know if I'll finish the speed run or save it for later and do Re-Chain. Not heard great things, but I kinda love the concept.

Mikey Jr.

Wow, the last couple of pages really are something. The thread has moved on, so I won't get into it but I will say that making a vague statement straight after a horrific event when emotions are still running high is a bad move. It was a mistake but one that I thought Blood did a good job correcting.

Anyway, with Blood on the podcast this week, I wonder if Shadow of War will be brought up. I hope it does because man, the story in that game sounds like something Uwe Boll would come up with. And that's before you even try to take the skeevy microtransactions into account.

Kh under 15 with default equip is super easy.

I got it in 9 hours, and I didn't skip every cutscene.

But yes, kh trophies are bad. I'll never subject myself to them.

I'll very slowly chip away at these trophies over the next few years, every time I come back to play these games.

Bahorel

I'm really looking forward to playing Birth by Sleep and even Re: Chain of Memories because I've never played them before but just getting through this one

Im really looking forward to Birth By Sleep too, that's my next game in my blind run through the series.

I can't say I enjoyed my Chain of Memories playthroughs much though. You have to play it twice essentially to get all the story and I wised up for the second go around and played on easy. I went through probably 25+ podcasts while just grinding my way through the game, and when I did the playthrough on normal the bosses were so frustrating for me at least that I would have to leave the game for long periods of time and play other things.

Anyway I hope your experience is better but basically my rec is to play on easy so you can get just through the game and get the story rather than have it be a slog.

Auctopus

I'll be picking up the collections soon. As big of a fan as I am, I've only played the mainline entries (I understand everything in the lore besides the time travel stuff) so I'm mainly going to be playing the collections for nostalgia and the side-entries.

Sounds like it might be a bit of a slog.

Bahorel

I'll be picking up the collections soon. As big of a fan as I am, I've only played the mainline entries (I understand everything in the lore besides the time travel stuff) so I'm mainly going to be playing the collections for nostalgia and the side-entries.

Sounds like it might be a bit of a slog.

To be fair I've heard that Birth By Sleep is really good so hopefully it's fun

(And I don't mean to say that you won't enjoy CoM I'm sure there are some people that liked it. I just think that the card system and random encounter battles were very jarring after being used to the battle system of KH1)

Auctopus

(And I don't mean to say that you won't enjoy CoM I'm sure there are some people that liked it. I just think that the card system and random encounter battles were very jarring after being used to the battle system of KH1)

I remember watching Brad and (i think) Kyle stream it recently and I wasn't feeling the battle system but maybe it's something you gotta get a feel for. Either way it's Disney!

Mista Koo

That boss made me quit when playing the original. The one time I beat him I didn't find a save spot immediately after and died to the first enemy.

I bought 2, but my PS2 died before I could play it.

Kh under 15 with default equip is super easy.

I got it in 9 hours, and I didn't skip every cutscene.

But yes, kh trophies are bad. I'll never subject myself to them.

I'll very slowly chip away at these trophies over the next few years, every time I come back to play these games.

Yeah, I'm not really too worried about it (my hard mode run was 18-19 hours and while I did skip most cutscenes, I wasn't really trying to do it quickly), it's just the tedium of it all. If it were up to me, you'd just have to finish the game with 100% done on normal or hard.

Im really looking forward to Birth By Sleep too, that's my next game in my blind run through the series.

I can't say I enjoyed my Chain of Memories playthroughs much though. You have to play it twice essentially to get all the story and I wised up for the second go around and played on easy. I went through probably 25+ podcasts while just grinding my way through the game, and when I did the playthrough on normal the bosses were so frustrating for me at least that I would have to leave the game for long periods of time and play other things.

Anyway I hope your experience is better but basically my rec is to play on easy so you can get just through the game and get the story rather than have it be a slog.

Well that's encouraging. /s

But yeah, I've heard a lot of bad things about it. I still want to do it, not only to finish it for the first time, since it never got a PAL release on PS2, but also to get the plat on the long road to KH3. From what I understand, that means I'll have to finish both playthroughs on hard, get to level 99 on both and collect every card. It's a bit of a daunting task but seeing as I'm not going to start it for at least another 2-3 months, I'm not going to worry about it at the moment.

abrack08

Speaking of multiple playthrough I'm on my third round of Nier so I just started route C, it's crazy because you play route A and B which I feel are kind of equivalent to new game and new game +, and now I start route C and it feels like a completely different game/sequel. It's so odd to me this is kind of hidden in there, I wonder how many people who bought Nier didn't go beyond route A? If I wasn't told by the podcasts to keep doing the playthroughs I'm not sure I would have known it was worth it to commit to doing that.

Oh man... I've been preaching the good word of NieR to a bunch of my friends, IRL and online and it's so difficult to get people on board with the structure. No matter how I explain it, people just say "I don't want to play the same game 5 times!" or "I can YouTube the other endings" even though those are both... Not true. Having to play the first half of the story twice essentially and referring to A or B as "endings" really fucks with people. I do think having to do Route B to get to C was a bad decision.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Hasney, out of interest, were you playing Overwatch on PC a few days ago? I got teamed with a Hasney in Elimination mode and thought it might've been you :)

Auctopus

Gonna delay the new OT by one day, I know it's not a super important thing that needs updates but I'm not really happy with how it's looking.

Hasney

Hasney, out of interest, were you playing Overwatch on PC a few days ago? I got teamed with a Hasney in Elimination mode and thought it might've been you :)

I would have been, but not elimination. I pretty much stick to mystery heroes and total mayhem.

Mista Koo

Gonna delay the new OT by one day, I know it's not a super important thing that needs updates but I'm not really happy with how it's looking.
If you need with anything besides the copy feel free to PM me.

Oh man... I've been preaching the good word of NieR to a bunch of my friends, IRL and online and it's so difficult to get people on board with the structure. No matter how I explain it, people just say "I don't want to play the same game 5 times!" or "I can YouTube the other endings" even though those are both... Not true. Having to play the first half of the story twice essentially and referring to A or B as "endings" really fucks with people. I do think having to do Route B to get to C was a bad decision.
I still have it sealed but I agree. Should've called them chapters/prespectives/Niers!

Auctopus

If you need with anything besides the copy feel free to PM me.

Thanks, I might do tomorrow. It's only one section that's annoying me - I might leave it out for the meanwhile but it's quite important.

Edit: Tbh, I think the issue is that my original design for OT2 isn't as scalable as I thought. I might give the whole design a re-think after OT3 is out there.

Um... I may be out of the loop... but have they done a retrospective series since Deus Ex? I remember seeing that as one of their goals but I don't see any other ones than just that one...

Tried Sonic Mania for a bit (my first Sonic game), I have no idea what's happening :|
When in doubt, roll!

Enjoy newtonian physics! (my personal favorite is roll-jumping up slopes)

Cheese levels as Tails!

There's not an "ideal route" like Mario games, at least not on the first or tenth try. Just read, react, enjoy.

Servbot24

Banned
Hmm I guess all these different paths are making me wonder if I should do something aside from just walking forward. Guess I'll keep doing that though

Hmm I guess all these different paths are making me wonder if I should do something aside from just walking forward. Guess I'll keep doing that though
Feel free (encouraged, even) to explore. There are many viable ways through a stage, and sometimes fun unique stuff along any arbitrary path. (if you find a special stage ring, you know you done good)

e: might be helpful (maybe not), but I tried to describe the Sonic design philosophy in another thread:
I think it's certainly true that classic Sonic has a more punishing initial learning curve than most other 2d platformers.

[...]

Anyway:
1. Sonic levels are a series of newtonian momentum puzzles/set pieces. They are sprawling to the extent that you'll usually take a different path through the level each time through.
2. The challenge comes from learning the optimal speed to take set piece A which leads into B which branches to C and D ... to the end of the level. If you fail one, there's always another challenge waiting -- and the punishment for failing is usually minor annoyance, not death.
3. Rolling has subtly different acceleration and jumping physics, effectively acting as a transformation you can toggle between with a button press (down to start, jump to get out)
4. Play how you want to play

Tregard

Soothsayer

It's my first Sonic game too, I too am a little confused by my inability to pick up speed? I keep knocking into things which means I might as well walk :/

Hasney

It's my first Sonic game too, I too am a little confused by my inability to pick up speed? I keep knocking into things which means I might as well walk :/

Going through a level fast, especially the later levels, is more of a reward for getting good than the entire objective. Sonic is a traditional platformer, so feel free to take it slow and explore when you can and go fast later.

Eventually as you get used to Sonic, you see queues for you to jump or spin to keep momentum.

Mista Koo

Sonic 2 introduced the spin dash, crouch and mash jump a few times for a boost. Mania introduced drop dash(?), hold(?) jump while you're falling to boost the moment you touch the ground.

Auctopus

So, I recently got a new card and Twitch says that the only way to change my payment details is to re-subscribe once my current subscription is over...

I know it's just aesthetic but does that mean I'll lose my gold A and go back to 1-month just because I changed my card?

Servbot24

Banned
Going through a level fast, especially the later levels, is more of a reward for getting good than the entire objective. Sonic is a traditional platformer, so feel free to take it slow and explore when you can and go fast later.

Eventually as you get used to Sonic, you see queues for you to jump or spin to keep momentum.

Ok, that helps a bit. I was a bit concerned I wasn't playing correctly and thus missing out on the real game by casually strolling along :p

demu

So, I recently got a new card and Twitch says that the only way to change my payment details is to re-subscribe once my current subscription is over...

I know it's just aesthetic but does that mean I'll lose my gold A and go back to 1-month just because I changed my card?
YOU'RE A SUBSCRIBER NOW!

I think you lose it. :/

Speaking of which, I wish Amazon Prime had an auto-sub option (or does it?). I lost mine because I forgot to sub for last month using it just by a few days.

It's pretty annoying because I rarely use Twitch to watch EZA stuff so I almost always forgot to sub.

farisr

It shouldn't. I sub using twitch prime, which means I have to manually resub every month, so there's instances where I'm not a subscriber for days at a time because I forgot which day I subbed, still kept my gold A and the
"resubbed for x months".

abrack08

I don't remember where I read this (so I may be totally wrong) but I think you have to not be subbed for a full month before you lose your streak. I've definitely gone a few days / a week past my sub date, and when I finally resubbed it was still 8/9/10 months etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom