• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Easy Allies |EZOT2| Love & Respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naythan

I agree. I hope they didn't feel pressured to tweet that because of certain fans. Kind of ridiculous to imagine that the Allies would have a stance any different from that.

Whether they did or not, I think in the end it was the right thing to do. Some might feel it didn't need to be said because it was "obvious" but some people clearly needed and wanted the allies to say something and I think this is the best result for everyone.

Budi

Twitter truly is sick, I clicked that Deadpool 2 thing since it's "trending" or something. I knew about the accident while filming it. And then I see a message like this
£than Đe Høyøs‏ @EatThan27 22 min

That's how you know deadpool 2 is gonna be LIT! Rip to the stuntwomen 🙏🏻 thanks for trying to create a badass scene!
What kind of twisted human being says that.

While I appreciate the sentiment, it sucks they have to put stuff out there like that to please some as it wasn't already obvious. Maybe I'm the weird one here, but never got the whole crossover thing with politics - I follow gaming stuff for games and news.

I get why they did it, and I really have no problem with it. Just my 2c on the matter.
I just think it's ridiculous this had to be done for a group that follows the allies the closest. It's just absurd them of all people have to have it spelled out so literally to not get all twisted in knots when you have 2 years worth of EZA content, discussions and actions that makes it pretty freakin clear what their stance on something like this would be.

Naythan

I just think it's ridiculous this had to be done for a group that follows the allies the closest. It's just absurd them of all people have to have it spelled out so literally to not get all twisted in knots when you have 2 years worth of EZA content, discussions and actions that makes it pretty freakin clear what their stance on something like this would be.

Yeah but at the same time, it's been a TOUGH weekend. Especially for those in the EZA community who are more marginalized or feel targeted by a lot of the hate speech that was prevalent in Charlottesville. I can understand why tensions are high and why some people could feel betrayed by EZA not commenting on this the right way. Not necessarily saying I feel that way (I am a white, straight dude so I'm the farthest thing from marginalized in any way) but I feel empathy from where they are coming from and think it was right for EZA to issue a statement in the face of fans feeling left behind.

Kudos to the Allies for dealing with this with way more patience than I would. But that's nothing new either.

I just saw all of this right now, and yeah this about sums up my opinion on it

I think the "official tweet" on the matter is solid and I would've liked to have seen that sort of thing regardless, solely as it's a huge current issue and it's nice to just throw out a quick word of support. (Especially with the mantra of L&R)

I have a huge issue when people online pick apart and twist someone's words out of context to mean something completely different. Get the fuck over yourselves.

luchadork

theres so many other areas of the internet to get political. cant eza just be a place for us to ESCAPE from politics? is that ok?

i feel very uncomfortable about this weird leftist mccarthyism thats become prevalent the past few years. just because youre not out there saying you hate communism doesnt make you a communist. and just because youre not saying you hate nazis doesnt make you a nazi.

and wtf does a tweet do? nothing. its just virtue signalling. who gives a fuck what eza think at a time like this? an indiana jones gif is not solving anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo-ddYhXAZc

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
theres so many other areas of the internet to get political. cant eza just be a place for us to ESCAPE from politics? is that ok?

i feel very uncomfortable about this weird leftist mccarthyism thats become prevalent the past few years. just because youre not out there saying you hate communism doesnt make you a communist. and just because youre not saying you hate nazis doesnt make you a nazi.

and wtf does a tweet do? nothing. its just virtue signalling. who gives a fuck what eza think at a time like this? an indiana jones gif is not solving anything.

It tells hateful people to stay away.

You just compared Jones to Ja Rule.. you monster.

But seriously, what makes you think Jones is trying to change the world with that tweet? It's just a tweet, don't be so outraged at the thought of people caring about what EZA thinks "at a time like this." And to be fair, that Indiana Jones gif did solve something: my mood. Not that I was in a bad mood or anything, but the moment I saw that tweet I laughed, and that has to count for something, right?

I mean, let's take this a step further: Who the hell cares that luchadork cares what others think about EZA? By your logic, no one should. Your post here isn't solving anything.

ST2K

They made one statement. One that's about as politically benign as you can get. While I appreciate the desire for escapism, this is a minor blip on the radar. If they comment regularly on political happenings, I'd worry. As it is, don't worry about it. I'm fairly confident the majority of the Allies don't see themselves as political experts who want to use their pulpit to harangue.

CyReN

They made one statement. One that's about as politically benign as you can get. While I appreciate the desire for escapism, this is a minor blip on the radar. If they comment regularly on political happenings, I'd worry. As it is, don't worry about it. I'm fairly confident the majority of the Allies don't see themselves as political experts who want to use their pulpit to harangue.

This is where it gets slippery, the vocal minority is going to shout at them for not making a statement after each incident now. I feel like people manufacture drama bs on the internet just to get people riled up more than actually care about the issues at hand. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

ST2K

This is where it gets slippery, the vocal minority is going to shout at them for not making a statement after each incident now. I feel like people manufacture drama bs on the internet just to get people riled up more than actually care about the issues at hand. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I get it. I'd just humbly suggest waiting until they actually do start doing that after every dust-up. Collectively, they haven't shown the willingness to do so to this point. I appreciate that about them and I'm sure they recognize there are plenty of others who do as well.

So sorry that a general statement against Nazis prevents you from escaping politics.

Along those lines, I hope EZA can discuss the upcoming Wolfenstein game in detached and reasonable manner and not get too political with it. Preferably not even utter the word Nazi.

I actually think a statement against this shit is a good idea for them, make sure people on that side know they should stay away and aren't welcome in the community.

Hah, just when I thought I've seen it all, we now have a few (I'm sure what is the VAST, VAST minority) of the EZA community accusing Blood/EZA as being soft on white nationalists?! The absolutely asinine leap of judgement it takes to extrapolate that Tweet to get to that "take" almost makes me woozy. We have literally thousands of hours of them on camera and years of evidence of their character, AND this is what some people took away from a vague statement about loving and respecting one another? Yikes.

I'm also flabbergasted that some need/want a largely vidyagame focused group, one that obviously does not have a far-right slant in the least or really any defined political ideology besides L&R, to literally have to say they are anti Nazi because spectacularly, that for some, this needs to be said? While I think it's likely Blood and I are on different ends of the political spectrum (Love Bloodworth and he's integral towards my enjoyment of EZA), the absolute logical fuckery of leaps it takes to construe his words as being as disgusting as some did is proof positive on why "saying something" doesn't reduce the toxicity or whatever some thought was necessary. Let me be clear that I have no problem with any of them saying anything political, obviously even something that I might disagree with, but this is the internet, it gets really dumb in a hurry.

Speaking of dumb internet, basically all areas on the internet that allow commenting are largely the absolute cesspools of mankind. I feel for some of the deplorable shit that might be said about any of them on Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, Friendster or whatever else, but reposting that garbage here only gives the trolls what they want. I guess if you want to fight those battles, feel free to report or downvote it or whatever, but bottom line, Easy Allies' content is on the internet. It just is what it is.

Servbot24

Banned

I don't know about the "just because youre not saying you hate nazis doesnt make you a nazi" thing, I've never seen that anywhere before. But if someone directly asks you what you think of nazis and you refuse to answer, then yeah that raises a flag. It should be in no way controversial to answer "nazis are bad". It's not a political statement any more than "murder is bad" is a political statement.

This is not a political issue; this is a human issue. When your fellow humans are suffering and when evil is spreading, it's the least you can do to offer a brief statement of steadfastness, no matter who you are or what your profession is. We're all part of this world.

Dmax3901

Finally I know EZA is against Nazis... I hope those hardcore fans are happy now, jeez.

I mean on one hand yes, we all know the Allies well and it goes without saying for most of us that they'd be 100% any kind of discrimination.

But then you have people like Jon Tron come out of the woodwork. And of course the events of this weekend.

It's 2017 and there are Nazis making global news headlines, the possibility of people you like on the internet sharing the views of, or coddling, Nazis is not as ludicrous as you might think.

*people being carted off to death camps and everything is on fire*

"Man can I just get a BREAK from politics please?!"

Servbot24

Banned

I think that's a really big leap tbh. People were murdered by literal nazis in the street. It seems strange to say that someone would not be genuinely riled up by that. I could be misunderstanding your point, but I think what we should be focusing on is loving people and condemning evil.

CyReN

I think that's a really big leap tbh. People were murdered by literal nazis in the street. It seems strange to say that someone would not be genuinely riled up by that. I could be misunderstanding your point, but I think what we should be focusing on is loving people and condemning evil.

What happened was sad and tragic, but when this was going on the last thing on my mind was what EZA thought. I'm just saying that people make it about themselves more than the actual issues at hand. Seeing actual fans call them out asking for their opinions on political stuff is pretty absurd to me (and others from what I've read).

Anyways, that's the last I'll speak about it since I'm sure most are sick of it.

Dmax3901

What happened was sad and tragic, but when this was going on the last thing on my mind was what EZA thought. I'm just saying that people make it about themselves more than the actual issues at hand. Seeing actual fans call them out asking for their opinions on political stuff is pretty absurd to me (and others from what I've read).

Anyways, that's the last I'll speak about it since I'm sure most are sick of it.

Blood's tweet was too vague and the timing was bad. Anyone who wants to say something about this weekend but not specifically condemn the Nazis is making a different kind of statement.

As a long time GT/EZA fan I of course know that none of the Allies harbour any hateful views, but this is the internet we're talking about. People new to the Allies or those who perhaps don't watch many videos with Blood in them, may not be quite so sure.

Servbot24

Banned
Obviously we all know Blood and EZA are good guys. The "both sides" comment however is inflammatory given recent dialogue from political figures. I'm sure it was 100% unintentional by Blood, but it's a common phrase used by white supremacist sympathizers which is why a statement of clarification was in order. In the end no harm was done and EZA put out a positive message.

luchadork

Blood's tweet was too vague and the timing was bad. Anyone who wants to say something about this weekend but not specifically condemn the Nazis is making a different kind of statement.

As a long time GT/EZA fan I of course know that none of the Allies harbour any hateful views, but this is the internet we're talking about. People new to the Allies or those who perhaps don't watch many videos with Blood in them, may not be quite so sure.

hence why youre better off not saying anything. damned if you do, damned if you dont. the whole thing smacks of mccarthyism.

Servbot24

Banned
hence why youre better off not saying anything. damned if you do, damned if you dont. the whole thing smacks of mccarthyism.
That's not true. Saying nothing would have been fine and saying a context-sensitive thing would have been fine.

And saying something not context sensitive was fine as well, because all it took was a simple request for clarification and it was provided. No harm was done.

Beat Hellblade tonight and started Sonic Mania. What a weird (but extemely awesome) pair of games to play back to back.

Hhber's review was on point. Will Sonic Mania get the coveted 5? I think maybe.

Mista Koo

I still struggle to understand how did we end up in a world where it's necessary to make a statement against nazis, racists and the KKK, as if it wasn't obvious that those are vile people, or you could be mistaken for one. What a shitty world we live in.
The same world where nazis feel comfortable and protected publicly marching in America. White people's silence enables it.

Obviously we all know Blood and EZA are good guys.
Do we? The Nick Robinson thing made sure I question everyone. Like when a third party tweeted sexist things and the defense was "how can he be? his wife is a strong female character."

Bahorel

Do we? The Nick Robinson thing made sure I question everyone. Like when a third party tweeted sexist things and the defense was "how can he be? his wife is a strong female character."

As much as it sucks to find out bad things about people we enjoy watching, please give EZA the benefit of the doubt. The actions of some don't mean everyone in the industry is guilty, and there is no reason to suspect them of being anything but genuinely good people. I'd hope that watching hours and hours of their content would give enough insight into their personalities and moral character to find that to be true.

Mista Koo

As much as it sucks to find out bad things about people we enjoy watching, please give EZA the benefit of the doubt. The actions of some don't mean everyone in the industry is guilty, and there is no reason to suspect them of being anything but genuinely good people. I'd hope that watching hours and hours of their content would give enough insight into their personalities and moral character to find that to be true.
Look up Nick Robinson. He was a funny outspoken feminist "SJW" who turns out was sexually harrassing women in the industry for years.

Labelling people as good and bad isn't healthy. It's a spectrum. This isn't specific to EZA or anything. I'm not saying anyone's guilty, just that no one is safe.

Budi

The same world where nazis feel comfortable and protected publicly marching in America. White people's silence enables it.

It's not just America though.
c31856de1bc363801eaac78f218ed89af8bd2733d382f7f7c8ebd538806b3d23.jpg

Which gets us to the point too that they have an international audience. Are they supposed to also comment and condemn atrocities happening around the world? Or does it matter only when something bad happens to Americans? What did they say about the bomb attack in Manchester? Can we be sure they aren't religious extremists? Don't they care about these people dying? And if you really compare them to Nick Robinson, what does it matter what they tweet out or say publicly? They can still be nazis right? What are you hiding Mista Koo?

Edit: just so there ain't no confusion, these aren't serious questions or do I expect them to adress these issues. Just to highlight the absurdness of the situation.

And the "third party" as you put it didn't tweet sexist things, that's your misinterpretation of it. Just like people getting angry at Blood.

Mista Koo

Don't be daft, I've never said that the allies in particular had to comment on anything in particular. And if they did I expected it to be from their personal accounts.

I find their tweet to be awkwardly composed and clearly a hasty response to the replies to Blood's vague tweet.

Budi

Don't be daft, I've never said that the allies in particular had to comment on anything in particular. And if they did I expected it to be from their personal accounts.

I find their tweet to be awkwardly composed and clearly a hasty response to the replies to Blood's vague tweet.
I thought you were being daft by questioning the "We know they are good guys." But sure, I agree it probably was a reaction to the misguided backlash. And you brought Nick Robinson to this discussion for some reason when we are talking about EZA. And I agree that they don't have to (they can) comment on atrocities that happen outside games, if they did that would be all that they have time to do.
They are American though.
As a non-American I often find the attitude of American exceptionalism quite annoying, and you could argue nobody asked the Allies a statement about ISIS, Duterte, Erdogan or Golden Dawn... But they are American, and so what happens in America is reasonably seen as more important to them and their American portion of the audience.
Absolutely, I wasn't seriously suggesting that they should comment on those issues. The point was to show Mista Koo how ridiculous he was being with his suspicions about EZA. But not sure it they took it that away, might just think that I'm crazy.

UrbanRats

It's not just America though.
They are American though.
As a non-American I often find the attitude of American exceptionalism quite annoying, and you could argue nobody asked the Allies a statement about ISIS, Duterte, Erdogan or Golden Dawn... But they are American, and so what happens in America is reasonably seen as more important to them and their American portion of the audience.

Auctopus

I think this thread needs to slow right down 'cause the trajectory of the last page has been insulting at best. We're taking a completely separate individual guilty of behaviour unrelated to his outlet and using it as incriminating evidence that another gaming outlet is guilty of a completely different social issue. It's really getting out of hand.

To re-iterate my point, I'm not annoyed in the slightest that Easy Allies tweeted a political statement regarding this week's events. As people have said, silence sometimes does more harm. However, I am annoyed that so called "hardcore" fans felt it necessary to give pressure to or sulk about the Allies not making a statement - I really think a bigger fanbase for these guys has been a blessing and a curse.

Mista Koo

I thought you were being daft by questioning the "We know they are good guys." But sure, I agree it probably was a reaction to the backlash. The backlash was misguided to begin with. And you brought Nick Robinson to this discussion for some reason when we are talking about EZA. And I agree that they don't have to comment on atrocities that happen outside games, if they did that would be all that they have time to do.
Because Nick Robinson was a good guy. Trying to box people into a good bad binary is often harmful. I'm questioning the concept.

Like the one time someone was calling out a racist remark about his people and people jumped on the attack in defense of "the good guys." This behavior is problematic to say the least.

I think this thread needs to slow right down 'cause the trajectory of the last page has been insulting at best. We're taking a completely separate individual guilty of behaviour unrelated to his outlet and using it as incriminating evidence that another gaming outlet is guilty of a completely different social issue. It's really getting out of hand.

To re-iterate my point, I'm not annoyed in the slightest that Easy Allies tweeted a political statement regarding this week's events. As people have said, silence sometimes does more harm. However, I am annoyed that so called "hardcore" fans felt it necessary to give pressure to or sulk about the Allies not making a statement - I really think a bigger fanbase for these guys has been a blessing and a curse.

It's an unhealthy obsession with a group of strangers over the internet. I just re-subscribed to this thread and it's just gross.

Hasney

It's not got much to do with a bigger fanbase other than possibly more volume. The hardcore of the hardcore will treat them as celebrities and that comes with the parts where they want them to do speak out on these things as they're one of the more important voices in their world, for better or worse. The same thing would have happened regardless.

It's not got much to do with a bigger fanbase other than possibly more volume. The hardcore of the hardcore will treat them as celebrities and that comes with the parts where they want them to do speak out on these things as they're one of the more important voices in their world, for better or worse. The same thing would have happened regardless.

Irregardless.

luchadork

Saying nothing would have been fine...

White people's silence enables it.

this shit is so fucking tedious. on the internet nothing ever gets solved. so why bother. to make a change you need to get off your computer and go outside and talk to people face to face.

all it is is loyalty screening. "youre either with us or against. toe the party line" sort of shit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

its clearly whats happens to blood here because he didnt convey his sentiment exactly like he was "supposed" to in 140 characters.

Mista Koo

this shit is so fucking tedious. on the internet nothing ever gets solved. so why bother. to make a change you need to get off your computer and go outside and talk to people face to face.

all it is is loyalty screening. "youre either with us or against. toe the party line" sort of shit. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCarthyism

its clearly whats happens to blood here because he didnt convey his sentiment exactly like he was "supposed" to in 140 characters.
I was speaking in general. Also the Arab Spring popularized Twitter ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Anyway in a half-assed attempt to change the subject: Pyre is really good.

Auctopus

Anyway in a half-assed attempt to change the subject: Pyre is really good.

I still haven't played it - I'm really interested in the RPG/Oregon Trail side but I'm a little turned off by the 'sport' element. Not that I don't like sports games. I do like the sound of the game not having a game over and just adapting to what happens though.

Axass

I was really down on Pyre until I watched Huber's review, he hyped me up on the game. In fact the same happened with Hellblade.

Damn Huber stop praising games! I can only play so many at once!

Mista Koo

I still haven't played it - I'm really interested in the RPG/Oregon Trail side but I'm a little turned off by the 'sport' element. Not that I don't like sports games. I do like the sound of the game not having a game over and just adapting to what happens though.
I'm the opposite. The magical sport is what lured me in since I don't like sport simulations but enjoy sport mechanics. Otherwise I don't play many RPGs.

Btw the sport is maybe ~%20 of the game? Most of the game is spent in the interactive fiction/visual novel part (similar to 80 Days).

MrMette

I have picked up Yakuza 0 again this weekend (after half a year). I was 50 hours in, but only in chapter 6, but I don't remember for which game I stopped playing last time. I completely finished the
real estate
side quest (which took a lot more time than I imagined, as I know I had done that for quite some time before as well) and am finally on to chapter 7 (after 67 hours or something, maybe I should focus on the story a bit more instead of the sidequests).

It's incredible how good this game is. I remember loving Yakuza 4 and I knew I would love this one as well, but I am surprised how good they are at writing a story. You saw on Easy Livin' that a lot of the Allies where invested in the story as well and they only saw a tiny amount of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom