• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

whbztkgcopywtkbr.jpg

So pretty.

Hell ya. Brand New has amazing album art.

blackjaw

While not necessarily 'emo', more emotional hardcore punk or post-hardcore...but in the same scene or major influencers of what we call emo nowdays...

For those who never saw pg99 back in the early 2000s, they have some reunion shows with Majority Rule (also awesome). Shows are gauranteed to sell out quick and will be awesome.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
While not necessarily 'emo', more emotional hardcore punk or post-hardcore...but in the same scene or major influencers of what we call emo nowdays...

For those who never saw pg99 back in the early 2000s, they have some reunion shows with Majority Rule (also awesome). Shows are gauranteed to sell out quick and will be awesome.
FUCK.

MajRule is one of my favorite bands of all time. Boston show is already sold out. I am so fucking sad right now.

blackjaw

FUCK.

MajRule is one of my favorite bands of all time. Boston show is already sold out. I am so fucking sad right now.

Me too!

Not sold out, I literally just bought tickets from the venues webpage!!!!

Majrule says sold out but venue has tickets!!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
The Boston show is definitely sold out. No tix online, and I even went to the venue to see if they had any left. Nope. :(

Looks like I'll be paying some broke kid 5x what he paid to hopefully get in.

blackjaw

The Boston show is definitely sold out. No tix online, and I even went to the venue to see if they had any left. Nope. :(

Looks like I'll be paying some broke kid 5x what he paid to hopefully get in.

Damn man. I must've just got that last batch- shows purchase at 7:47pm so I feel real lucky.

If anything happens to my sked you can have my ticket. I'll let you know and keep my ears open for any going around at a reasonable price.

vatstep

Damn man. I must've just got that last batch- shows purchase at 7:47pm so I feel real lucky.

If anything happens to my sked you can have my ticket. I'll let you know and keep my ears open for any going around at a reasonable price.
I ended up getting a ticket for the Saint Vitus show, which went on sale at noon today, so it looks like I'll be traveling to NYC. It'll be worth it. I appreciate the thought for sure, though.

Lender

Got a record player 2 months ago, so that means I can finally start collecting some vinyls. These are the ones I've bought the last 2 months, with the exception of the bottom one. I actually bought that one after Volcano choir (one of Justin Vernon's from Bon Iver sideprojects) show in 2013, my first ever LP, even though I didn't have a record player just yet.

b890172f-c3a2-45b0-bdcebcf.jpg

3 more records on the way: Converge's "Jane Doe" and "All We Love We Leave Behind" and Have Hearts "The Things We Carry", probably in my top 3 of favorite albums off all time.

it's so freaking addictive!

They're huge Preds fans, at least the one dude is. And Four Loko fans. Which in pretty sure you can't get in Canada. Maybe that's a good thing.

Four Loko fucking sucks. Yall aren't missing anything

Got a record player 2 months ago, so that means I can finally start collecting some vinyls. These are the ones I've bought the last 2 months, with the exception of the bottom one. I actually bought that one after Volcano choir (one of Justin Vernon's from Bon Iver sideprojects) show in 2013, my first ever LP, even though I didn't have a record player just yet.

3 more records on the way: Converge's "Jane Doe" and "All We Love We Leave Behind" and Have Hearts "The Things We Carry", probably in my top 3 of favorite albums off all time.

Nice start! It is super addicting..... I have really slowed down in the past year cuz I was spending way too much money.

Yee should get more screamo and Black metal records dewd (unless you don't like them then that's cool)

Lender

Screamo is cool, not really into black metal though. The closest thing I love to black metal is Deafheaven. (And lots of black metal purists will piss on me for saying this)

Screamo is cool, not really into black metal though. The closest thing I love to black metal is Deafheaven. (And lots of black metal purists will piss on me for saying this)

Haha fair enough. I love Deafheaven but I also love kvlt black metal. But yeah it's kinda sad...

When it comes to metal, I like it low and slow. Stoner / psych / doom, kinda thing. Speaking of, the new Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs Pigs completely rips. I only dabble in black or death, and almost never play speed metal because I'd rather just listen to 80's straight edge bands.

Those 2 Songs:Ohia records are so damn good. I have the deluxe Magnolia Electric Co. and I think I listen to the solo demo disc more than I listen to the album disc, anymore. It has this strange power that sounds ominous and foreboding when you look back through the lens of Jason Molina's tragic end of life.

"... the last thing I see:
Let it be me helping.
Let it be me, honestly.
Let it be me working
on being a better me."

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I've finally spent some real time with TWIABP, oh man, so many feelings and emotions right now, this is amazing stuff.

I've finally spent some real time with TWIABP, oh man, so many feelings and emotions right now, this is amazing stuff.

Good. Good.

Harmlessness is best album. Smoke and Felt is an amazing song. Best Bodies takes some time to get into. Formlessness rerecorded is better than the old version.

Glad you enjoy them

Lender

mrTO8zq.jpg

Next additions: Holy Ghost, You're not as ____ as you think you are and Celebrate.

Please make me stop...

kris.

Banned

what's the album in the dead center below TDAGARIM? i fuck with that album cover heavily.

Lender

Songs: Ohia - The Magnolia Electric Co.

One of the best albums off all time and in my top 5 favourite records. Jason Molina (Songs: Ohia is basically his own project although he also released stuff under his own name) is one of the greatest and sadly underappreciated song writers of all time. Sadly died 4 years ago as a result of a life long struggle with alcohol.

Definitely check him out if you're a fan of songs draping with melancholy with subjects of depression, loneliness and love.

You never hear me talk about one day getting out

Why put a new address on the same old loneliness

Everybody knows where that is

We built that house of his

And when he's not home

Someone else we know always is

<3

myco666

Nice picks Rubmifer. Especially those 3 on the last pic. Love all of those a lot.

Still clueless about the scene so what upcoming releases I should be looking foward to?

Lender

Nice picks Rubmifer. Especially those 3 on the last pic. Love all of those a lot.

Still clueless about the scene so what upcoming releases I should be looking foward to?

Thx! HH is my favorite hardcore band of all time. Whenever I'm going through a tough period, this album helps me get through it.

I'm still hoping for a new La Dispute release this year, although I don't see it happening. Same for Brand New.

No emo, but I'm actually liking the new Rise Against. I found The Black Market to be incredibly dull (with the exception of Tragedy+time), but this is actually a fun and energetic album.

And still obsessed with the new Sorority Noise record. According to my last.fm I've scrobbled them 368 times in the last 2 months. I suppose you guys also know Old Gray? It basically has all the members of SN but instead of emo it's a screamo band. Very intense stuff as well.

vatstep

Been listening to a lot of The Saddest Landscape recently... So fucking good.
I never really got into them for some reason but saw them open for City of Caterpillar a few months ago. Really good show.

vatstep

One of my favorite bands.

But damn... that must have been a sick show!
Yeah, it was great. Kindling also played — shoegaze/indie-pop band with members of Ampere. They're alright.

Can anyone else still just not stop listening to Mom Jeans?

God I love Mom Jeans.

Same. It's been my go to when I'm drawing a complete blank on what I feel like listening to, so I put on Best Buds for a while.

I found this weird "mixtape" on YouTube that focuses on the Midwest sound and when a song comes on I like, I'll dive into that band to see if the rest of their stuff checks out.

Really digging this band, Camping in Alaska, who are from Huntsville, AL... possibly the least likely place for an emo band.

This album in particular has a nice Snowing vibe to it:https://campinginalaska.bandcamp.com/album/please-be-nice

Oh, yeah. Jeff Rosenstock put out a 7" with a South Korean ska band called SKASUCKS... a physical 7" with a pay-what-you-want model. By the time I saw it on Instagram, like 2 hours after the post, it was already completely sold out. feels bad

I have some record updates coming soon.

Just a quick selection of stuff.

Also I got one of TWIABP decks and it is sick. Idk if I should actually skate with it or not though... it's pretty

Cindres

I really want to skate it though...

Also why we so dead recently :(

Anyone have any shows lined up? I'm gonna be seeing Mom Jeans, Touché Amore, and Reno Drive in the coming months!

God I wish I was seeing Mom Jeans.

EDIT: Shit didn't see Remo Drive there I was consumed with jealousy after seeing Mom Jeans. Remo Drive would be tight too.

Got Joyce Manor tomorrow night with Martha (who I will hype up again everyone should listen to them). Also Front Bottoms on Sunday. (that gig is actually blink 182 with Frank turner also supporting but Bottoms are the most appropriate for this thread)

God I wish I was seeing Mom Jeans.

EDIT: Shit didn't see Remo Drive there I was consumed with jealousy after seeing Mom Jeans. Remo Drive would be tight too.

Got Joyce Manor tomorrow night with Martha (who I will hype up again everyone should listen to them). Also Front Bottoms on Sunday. (that gig is actually blink 182 with Frank turner also supporting but Bottoms are the most appropriate for this thread)

Yeah! And I realized I misspelled Remo lol

That's awesome though! I love Blink but without Tom I'm just like... eh

Cindres

Yeah! And I realized I misspelled Remo lol

That's awesome though! I love Blink but without Tom I'm just like... eh

I like California but I definitely realised I missed Tom a bit when I went back and listened to older blink after the album came out. Still, I've heard good things about the shows so far from people I know have been at the other UK gigs this week. Plus Front Bottoms and Frank Turner will make it all the more awesome, I intend to drink a few down and have a damned good time.

I like California but I definitely realised I missed Tom a bit when I went back and listened to older blink after the album came out. Still, I've heard good things about the shows so far from people I know have been at the other UK gigs this week. Plus Front Bottoms and Frank Turner will make it all the more awesome, I intend to drink a few down and have a damned good time.

I do love me some Bottoms That Which Are In Thine Front.

But seriously that should be an awesome show.

I hope you get to see Mom Jeans and Remo Drive but idk when they would be able to make it to the UK and Europe

Cindres

I do love me some Bottoms That Which Are In Thine Front.

But seriously that should be an awesome show.

I hope you get to see Mom Jeans and Remo Drive but idk when they would be able to make it to the UK and Europe

Aye I imagine if either came over its be in support of someone, I've seen tiny moving parts twice here and both times they were supporting.

Top Bottom