• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Emo Music |OT| Non-Conforming as Can Be

haveheart

Banned
How the hell are we supposed to say the name of the new Sorority Noise record?

scaly

Can't believe nobody's mentioned the Graduating Life/Mom Jeans 7" split yet, up on bandcamp:
https://momjeansca.bandcamp.com/

This is sooo good. I hope they make it to mainland Europe when they're playing the UK.

I just discorvered Dollar Signs: https://dollarsigns.bandcamp.com/album/yikes Great lyrics, probably old news for you guys, I've never heard of them before.

And I also didn't know Glocca Morra, anothe rold one apparently: https://gloccamorradied.bandcamp.com/album/just-married-2

kiguel182

I'll admit I find very little of the themes in emo music to be super relatable :p
I guess I appreciate that it means something to the writers..?

I find a ton of it relatable but the death of friends is, fortunetly, not a theme that resonates with me. Thankfully it doesn't stop me from loving the record.

I find a ton of it relatable but the death of friends is, fortunetly, not a theme that resonates with me. Thankfully it doesn't stop me from loving the record.

I was actually surprised just how consistent that particular theme is on the record. There's a line about it in I think every single song.

It's kinda cool to have such a constant theme through the whole thing even if it's something so heavy.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.

Cindres

Maybe there's a discussion to have; what first got you guys into emo?

I think when i first did i didn't even know it, i was introduced to The Devil And God when it first got released and then i just got sucked into Brand New. I was always more of a pop punk kid, i liked my My Chemical Romance, Panic!, Fall Out Boy but i always always aware those guys weren't emo. I think it's only been more recently and with this thread that i actually got involved with seeking out emo music.

Brand New is what got me into trve emo.

But i was into scencore pretty heavy. I still love FFTL and now that Sonny is back i feel like a 9th grader again.

My brother and cousins listened to a lot of punk and pop punk when I was a kid, that was probably what put me on the music taste path I ended up on. My brother showed me Deja Entendu when I was like 12 and that was probably my first favourite album. I really liked Taking Back Sunday, Saves the Day, The Get Up Kids and Say Anything back then too. I kinda moved away from that stuff when I got into high school and became obsessed with Death Cab, The Shins, Modest Mouse, etc. Rediscovered punk and emo like 3 years ago when I heard stuff like Modern Baseball and You Blew It for the first time. Have fallen down the rabbit hole since then.

haveheart

Banned
In my teenage years, I was into skapunk. I loved Mad Caddies, Reel Big Fish, Sublime, LöC and that stuff. Then I made the transition to more metal stuff, Folly did that to me. Then a friend of mine showed me You come before you, Poison the Well's latest record and I, to this day, thought that this was the best thing I've ever listened to. Poison the Well is pretty much emo played as post-hardcore. Listening to screamo and post-hardcore and punkrock in gerneal for lots of years, I was happy to find out that there's this whole 90s emo revival thing going on in the last couple of years.

myco666

Properly got into emo when I asked recs here. First time listening to something that was emo was around '02 or '03 when I saw Flip Sorry video and it featured two songs from Gray Matter. Didn't know it was emo back then or even knew what emo was since I was like 10 years old lol. Loved GM a lot though. Then I started listening to metal and industrial/ebm/aggrotech/whatever-you-call-it and stayed with that for few years. It was around '07 when I started to listen hardcore punk like Casualties, Oi Polloi and what have you. I also started listening to some screamo back then too but not that much for some reason even though I liked it. Listened bands like Touche Amore, Blood Brothers and Orchid a lot. Have been listening to hardcore punk and everything that has spawned from it since then.

But as I mentioned earlier I got to this indie rock infused side from this thread. Really glad I came here and asked for recs as there is a lot of good stuff out there that I have been neglecting for no reason. Then again it is not like I was aware of any of these bands I've gotten into now.

In my teenage years, I was into skapunk. I loved Mad Caddies, Reel Big Fish, Sublime, LöC and that stuff. Then I made the transition to more metal stuff, Folly did that to me. Then a friend of mine showed me You come before you, Poison the Well's latest record and I, to this day, thought that this was the best thing I've ever listened to. Poison the Well is pretty much emo played as post-hardcore. Listening to screamo and post-hardcore and punkrock in gerneal for lots of years, I was happy to find out that there's this whole 90s emo revival thing going on in the last couple of years.

Poison the Well is emo? Thats a good band. Got the Tear from the Red picture vinyl couple of months ago.

haveheart

Banned
Poison the Well is emo? Thats a good band. Got the Tear from the Red picture vinyl couple of months ago.

I always thought so. Lyrics are very personal, intimate, and troubling. Mostly about growing old, struggling with determination, and love ofc.

I also got the picture vinyl. I've been looking for The Tropic Rot LP for 5 years now, never could get my hands on one. The only one I'm missing...

akileese

Saw Enter Shikari and Being as an Ocean down at Trees in Dallas Saturday night. Show was absolutely amazing. Never listened to Being as an Ocean before so it was a welcome surprise. Their lead singer dove into the crowd from the balcony, which was fucking nuts. He did about 75 percent of the set from the circle pit. Enter Shikari's Take to the Skies, as an album, has really aged well live. I think it actually sounds better than recorded. If you're in Europe and have a chance to catch a show on this tour I highly recommend it. Dallas was the last show on their US leg.

blackjaw

In 1997 I started to get into emo. Was tired of punk rock (saves the day, get up kids, face to face and all the fat wrecords stuff) and started to listen to what I still consider to be real emo.

Knapsack, Mineral, Braid, Texas is the Reason, Sunny Day Real Estate, Elliott, Cursive and finally into some of the old Deep Elm stuff like Promise Ring, Pedro the Lion, Brandston and Cross my Heart.

It's funny that most of these early albums from 1995-1999 still hold up today.

Also: Deep Elm digital has most of their old 90s albums for $1 on band camp. I implore those who didn't grow up back then to grab some samplers (Emo diaries) and hear some of these forefathers of emo...then buy their albums! http://deepelmdigital.com/music

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Brandtson, wow, that's a band I haven't thought about in a long, long time.

I took a similar trajectory to most of you, like a cross between ElephantShell's and blackjaw's. I'm probably exactly in the middle of you guys, age-wise.

Melodic hardcore, like Avail, probably helped. I got into the Weakerthans through Propagandhi, which really softened my hard skull. Pedro the Lion is probably my first emo band, and it took some time because emo was a seriously bad word in the early 2000s if you were into punk. The golden age stuff was being called indie, and the MTV-aired stuff was now emo. AFI started wearing black lace shirts and the little preppy boys got lip piercings and black shirts to try to scoop girls -- the whole thing felt like a fucking invasion. There are probably still bands that I'm put off by to this day, bands I think a lot of people here revere.

Anyway, I got into indie in a big way because the punk scene started getting really fucking macho -- exactly what it used to rebel against. At the end of high school, 2003, I was a huge Modest Mouse fan. Side-by-side, I was listening to the golden age emo stuff that I considered to be classic indie: Texas is the Reason, American Football (through Owen), The Promise Ring. I swung back to punk a while later when indie took the same route punk did in the 90s, and got back into emo a few years ago from a super unlikely friend from work who, as it turns out, might be the biggest Mineral fan around.

---

As for the SN record, the lyrics are what are hitting hardest for me. When I was 16, a friend in our circle shot himself with no warning sign other than the same motiveless malignance that we were all up to at the time. Nobody really talked about his death much. That summer was a strange mess.

I'm 32 now, as many years removed as I was old at the time. I had this record on at the gym and had to stop to take out my earbuds and fake a strained stretch because my eyes had welled up to blindness with tears. It's been a while since I've thought about him, and that makes me feel a little worse.

haveheart

Banned
Has anyone listened to this Remo Drive record? There's some catchy hooks but it's a little fuzzy for my liking.

It sounds like a pretty fun record so far. I like the fuzz but I think it's more successful when they slow it down or have a more complex lick.

When it's just a kinda fuzzy chug guitar riff, it starts to verge on a Nu Metal sound. nausea.emoji

I like it. Yer Killin' Me is a great track.

Sorry for digging this out, but fuck me, this is a really, really good record.

myco666

I always thought so. Lyrics are very personal, intimate, and troubling. Mostly about growing old, struggling with determination, and love ofc.

I also got the picture vinyl. I've been looking for The Tropic Rot LP for 5 years now, never could get my hands on one. The only one I'm missing...

Wouldn't something Lionheart be emo then too? Or prettty much most hc bands considering lot of those subjects relate to most hc bands? Not really arguing that Poison the Well isn't emo since I am still trying to figure out what constitutes as emo and what doesn't lol. Just surprised that it is considered emo by someone.

kris.

Banned
I haven't listened to this yet but Wil Wagner is doing an AMA.

It said 10 AM tomorrow Melbourne time so... tonight at like 8 Eastern?

Aussies get to live in the future and that's kinda bullshit. The past obviously sucks.

Yeah, I'm excited to read it. Got to meet him back in 2015 when they were touring with Jeff and AJJ before their set but I was super fucking awkward and it was weird but he was really nice and they fucking SLAY live. Great, great band.

kiguel182

I've been listening to a lot of Sorority Noise, this album is something else.

Also digging the new Mezingers. They are a bad that takes me a good amount of listens before completely being into it but I got there.

Emo is dead and so am I

That avatar change. Check out the new Smith Street Band for a fix... the subject matter is pretty heavy.

But really, I think we got spoiled with a string of releases. We might be hitting a dry spell, but the SN record isn't yet a month old, so it's hard to tell.

And if another tour I want to see gets announced for "East Coast dates!" only for them to be largely Northeast and then out to Chicago, I'm raging. At least PEARS is doing a solid and doing a Georgia / Florida tour.

Wouldn't something Lionheart be emo then too? Or prettty much most hc bands considering lot of those subjects relate to most hc bands? Not really arguing that Poison the Well isn't emo since I am still trying to figure out what constitutes as emo and what doesn't lol. Just surprised that it is considered emo by someone.

Yeah I never thought of poison the well as emo more melodic hardcore / post hardcore. Emo is such a wierd genre now people label all types of shit emo. I guess I'm getting old. Whatever you label them I dig it I wish they still released music I liked tropic rot I can't believe that came out in 2009.

I wish I liked the sorority noise record but I'm having a hard time getting into it. I need to give it more spins I like the track a portrait of on the album. Been listening to the new can't swim album today and it's kinda mediocre I like a few tracks on my first listen.

That avatar change. Check out the new Smith Street Band for a fix... the subject matter is pretty heavy.

But really, I think we got spoiled with a string of releases. We might be hitting a dry spell, but the SN record isn't yet a month old, so it's hard to tell.

And if another tour I want to see gets announced for "East Coast dates!" only for them to be largely Northeast and then out to Chicago, I'm raging. At least PEARS is doing a solid and doing a Georgia / Florida tour.

I don't change my avatar... just modify it lol

I sadly just haven't had time to keep up with the scene like I used to :(

I will check out Smith Street Band for sure though

I'm waiting on LP3 from TWIABP

Joyce Manor has a string of UK dates in July with a band called Martha.

Giving them a listen now and they seem fun, but I'm in this petulant little kid mood today.

Cindres

Joyce Manor has a string of UK dates in July with a band called Martha.

Giving them a listen now and they seem fun, but I'm in this petulant little kid mood today.

Just saw that, the night they're playing near me I'm going to see Blink 182, night have friends going to others not too far away though.

Assuming you were talking about Martha in that second part? I'll have to give them a listen.

Cindres

I've been listening to Martha 'cause they're playing with Joyce Manor on their tour here and a friend of mine is going to the gig specfically to see these guys. They're also from pretty near where I live now (in a village called Pity Me, could there be a more emo town name?) so it's pretty fun to listen to a emo/pop-punky band with accents I'm more familiar with :p

I'd highly recommend, check out their album from last year: Blisters In The Pit Of My Heart. It's pretty upbeat and bouncy but there's some moody themes in there. I'm gonna need to go to this gig now.

http://thefestfl.com/

Initial lineup. Rainer Maria is on there!

There are a lot of bands I want to see but it seems like a good bit of overlap from last year.

Dead Bars, though! Probably the 2017 album I've listened to the most, so far.

EDIT: Mom Jeans! Yeeeeeeeaah, I gotta go to this.

kiguel182

Rosenstock is in my city tomorrow and asked for someone to show him around.

As much as I love his music, the idea of hanging around with strange people seems way too awkward to me. I also doubt I have much to talk about with them lol

Edit: also, I'm terrible at showing the city.

Lender

Had a terrible week, drove home from work and was listening to La Dispute. 'I see everything' and 'you and I in unison' drove me through to tears. I needed that, so thanks for that La Dispute.

Tomorrow 2 days of groezrock. Lots of booze, lots of good music. Gonna do me good.

kiguel182

Had a terrible week, drove home from work and was listening to La Dispute. 'I see everything' and 'you and I in unison' drove me through to tears. I needed that, so thanks for that La Dispute.

Tomorrow 2 days of groezrock. Lots of booze, lots of good music. Gonna do me good.

Hope things get better! La Dispute is definitely good for those cathartic moments.

(been a long time since I popped my head in this thread)

The video for Sorority Noise's No Halo is pretty great. Really high production values.

www.npr.org/event/music/526042509/sorority-noises-no-halo-video-leaves-a-blank-space-for-grief

Yeah, that was pretty incredible. I didn't like the ending at first but now I feel like it works as a way to signify that, yes, this is still a music video.

Rosenstock is in my city tomorrow and asked for someone to show him around.

As much as I love his music, the idea of hanging around with strange people seems way too awkward to me. I also doubt I have much to talk about with them lol

Edit: also, I'm terrible at showing the city.

Did you make it to the show?

Top Bottom