• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enough is enough, Capcom: It's time to marry Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma

Mechazawa

"I don't like Monster Hunter's gameplay, please make a Monster Hunter skinned Dragon's Dogma" is basically what I read.

Nah, I'm good holmes. I don't need every Capcom franchise to look the same.

Don't mix the two. They both are amazing in their own ways. Just make a modern console version of both games. Goddamn it just do it already, Capcom.

Exentryk

I'd just be happy with a Dragon's Dogma sequel with better writing, story and a pre-determined character. Also, keep it single player.

Monster Hunter and its online multiplayer systems don't interest me at all.

"monster hunters combat is clunky".
If by clunky you mean weighty, yes it is. Weighty is exactly what makes dragons dogmas combat so average to me, attacks have no weight, its just all spammy and flashy.

Korigama

I consider Monster Hunter one of the few reasons I still care about Capcom's output, whereas nothing about Dragon's Dogma (especially its setting and art direction, which are probably the least-inspired I've ever seen out of any IP developed internally by the company) interests me at all. No thanks.

Fbh

I just want more Dragons Dogma. Don't really see the need to mix it with Monster Hunter.

Aside from some monster and armor designs I don't know what MH could bring to the table. The combat in it is good but not something I think would work for an open world RPG, and the rest of the game is basically just grinding and farming which sucks

Seem like OP want an DD sequel with mutilplayer. Maybe Capcom can revived and reach out to a wider audience for the DD IP if they make a portable version of the game with multiple player on the 3DS. Pretty sure MH on 3DS sold better than DD on consoles in the West, correct me if I am wrong.

Some replies in this thread are funny.

But Capcom already made a Console MH and it sold like shit. No they didn't. They made a crappy Spin Off which sold in the same ratio other online Spin Offs sell. Or are people also surprised that TES Online didn't sell as many copies as Skyrim.

spiritfox

Some replies in this thread are funny.

But Capcom already made a Console MH and it sold like shit. No they didn't. They made a crappy Spin Off which sold in the same ratio other online Spin Offs sell. Or are people also surprised that TES Online didn't sell as many copies as Skyrim.

Monster_Hunter_Tri_Box_Art.jpg

MouldyK

Seem like OP want an DD sequel with mutilplayer. Maybe Capcom can revived and reach out to a wider audience for the DD IP if they make a portable version of the game with multiple player on the 3DS. Pretty sure MH on 3DS sold better than DD on consoles in the West, correct me if I am wrong.

Well to compare, you can go with 3 Monster Hunter Numbers (from BannedChartz of course because I don't know who else would know the sales):

- Monster Hunter Tri for the Wii in 2009: 0.67 + 0.41 + 0.11 = 1.19 Million Copies...of course this is clearly BS since Capcom has said MH4U is the only MH game to Surpass 1 Million shipped in US and EU combined.

- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U in 2011: 0.46 + 0.29 + 0.07 = 0.82 Million Copies.

- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate for the 3DS in 2015: 0.66 + 0.47 + 0.11 = 1.24 Million Copies.

Then if you look at Banned Chartz again for Dragon's Dogma, which includes the Rerelease (Dark Arisen), then you get:

0.40 + 0.46 + 0.19 = 1.05 Million Copies on PS3.

0.42 + 0.24 + 0.06 = 0.72 Million Copies on X360.

Plus Steamspy says that Dark Arisen has sold 354,091 since January 2016, which I would assume a fair chunk would be from the West aswell.

So...I think they both sold similarly in the West.

MouldyK

It sold alright (when you consider Dragon's Dogma sold 2.3 as of September 2015)

As of December 12, 2009, Monster Hunter Tri is the best-selling third-party video game for the Wii in Japan, at 960,000 copies sold.

As of June 30, 2012, over 1.9 million copies have been sold on the Wii.

And then you look at 3 Ultimate's Sales and realise why Capcom make it on Handheld:

As of December 31, 2015, 2.6 million copies have been sold on the 3DS.

And for fun: Monster Hunter X's Japanese Sales:

Prior to the game's launch, Capcom expected to sell 2.5 million copies of Monster Hunter Generations by March 2016.[30] The game sold over 1.5 million units in its first two days,[31] and as of December 24, 2015, the game has sold over 3 million copies.

jj.gif

Ah, and I thought you were interested in an actual argument and not just strawman-ing your way to victory.

Believe what you want. I on't even see where this is supposed to be a strawman, third party games not selling on the Wii was one of the defining conversations for the whole life cycle of that console.

EDIT: If anything it would be moving goalposts

But just to clarify, I'm not saying that a PS4 MH game would definitely be successful, I'm just saying that Capcom has made a really weak effort in the west.

MouldyK

I would do many thing I wouldn't be proud of to get a full blown monhun on PS4. Capcom, please!

Based on Famitsu’s retail sales numbers, as of Feburary 7, there have been 2,356,098 PS4 consoles sold in Japan since launch.

Capcom has sold more MHX than there are PS4's in the market which buys the series...

...still want an NX Version though.

BlizzKrut

Banned
Haha, oh man the OP makes me laugh, please don't do anything to the MH series, keep it as it is, moving to consoles would pretty much make the sales in Japan (the place where it matters the most to the series) go in a downward spiral, and this is coming from a diehard MH fan.

MouldyK

Haha, oh man the OP makes me laugh, please don't do anything to the MH series, keep it as it is, moving to consoles would pretty much make the sales in Japan (the place where it matters the most to the series) go in a downward spiral, and this is coming from a diehard MH fan.

In order to even justify making it, they have to make it on both Handheld and Console and short of going the 3DS and PS4 Route, it's unlikely.

...Monster Hunter is the biggest reason for a hybrid Nintendo Platform since they can get the West with the Console Version and Japan with the Handheld Iteration.

Oregano

It's amazing that in a thread about slapping the Monster Hunter name on a Dragon's Dogma sequel we still have people acting like putting on a MH game on the "big systems" is a silver bullet for Western success.

It's not to say it wouldn't be a success but it's a massive risk. Dragon's Dogma was Capcom's biggest project ever when it was made(surpassed only by RE6) and it was clearly meant to appeal to the big western(Read Skyrim) audience whilst trying to appeal to Monster Hunter fans in Japan.

The fact that Dragon's Dogma cratered so badly(selling much worse than the cheaper to produce MH games and even selling less than Tri on the Wii back at release) is why Capcom is so risk averse nowadays and focused on games-as-service.

You're probably getting a PS4/PC version of Monster Hunter relatively soon but don't expect a mega production and definitely don't expect it to sell millions in the west.

Mr Rivuz

Monster Hunter is clunky and slow. It controls like shit.
Not at all. You could say it's slow maybe, but it really depends from what kind of weapons you are using. Sword and shield, dual blade or the insectglaive are not slow at all for example.
But the controls are fine and precise, you just have to aim your blows and can't spam moves like crazy.

I wouldn't take a marriage of the two games, but I'd love for Dragon's Dogma to just have Rathalos or something in it as a guest monster you can find and kill. I'm waiting for my Dragon's Dogma sequel Capcom. I guess this is what happens when you're trying hard to make a big series happen and it doesn't do amazing but it still does good sales wise.

wildfire

Banned
Legalize game marriage.

Requote worthy.

Anyway back to the op...

I like the idea of merging the 2 but I think it would better to approach this as a spinoff instead of a replacement of both games.

After reading over your notes on the differences on gameplay I think mashing these two together would be a huge departure for existing fans and should be only done in a new franchise or spinoff to prevent diluting the existing brands.

deim0s

Nah, I'd keep them separate - they already have quite a few similarities.

I'd just want a sequel for both on my preferred console. :p

Cerity

I just want a straight up DD sequel, MH originally wasn't great and was way rougher than DD - the 2nd analog was used to attack in the first game from what I remember and there was shit all content. Capcom just needs to let it grow and give it time.

Keasar

If you take everything that is Dragon's Dogma and then add the gigantic variety of monsters from Monster Hunter, add co-op and then intelligent monster A.I that makes actual "hunting" important but eliminate the honestly boring grind
(I SWEAR I KILLED 15 OF THESE FUCKERS BUT NONE OF THEM DROPPED A SKULL HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!?)
:

Sign me the hell up! I'd buy it and force my friends to buy it as well.

NeonZ

Ah yes, I forgot the game on the platform almost nobody bought non-Nintendo games (or games in general) for.

The Wii had decent attach rate (8.99). Tri sold significantly better than the Monster Hunters for the PS2 (which you conveniently ignore there). Still, not anywhere close to the portable entries.

redcrayon

Monster Hunter is clunky and slow. It controls like shit.
No. It controls perfectly with weight, timing and consequence behind each action.

Some people prefer games where they never have to commit to an attack and can continually cancel out of moves at will in a fraction of a second. MH requires you to get it right as you will leave yourself open if you mess up while swinging a sword that's twice your height. That moment when you connect, and stop a wyvern twenty times your size in its tracks while shattering it's horns out of sheer skill rather than level grinding though. Just pure gaming bliss.

There's always a few people like this in every MH thread, claiming that because they don't like something it must be shit, and millions of people who've put dozens or hundreds of hours into it just don't realise that the game they love isn't any good.

Played 20 hours of a game and found it to control poorly?
Nah you just need to play more.

MH has one of the tightest in gaming, 20h in you are barely scratching the surface.

I love DD, it's my most played game in ps3. But gameplay wise is a MH-lite with less options and less responsive controls.

redcrayon

Nah, you just need to accept that it isn't for you. There are plenty of great games I don't get on with (virtually every fps for a start), I just don't start talking to dozens of fans of the better ones by saying the controls are shit. What about all the pro hunters putting phenomenal videos online where they are wasting creatures with huge weapons while not getting hit, are they just not aware that the controls are poor or something?

Yeah, right. You really put 20 hour into a game that you feel controls poorly? Not buying it.

If MH isn't for you, fine. The games do well enough so that the rest of us will keep getting new entries to enjoy - without you.

Rambler

No. It controls perfectly with weight, timing and consequence behind each action.

Some people prefer games where they never have to commit to an attack and can continually cancel out of moves at will in a fraction of a second. MH requires you to get it right as you will leave yourself open if you mess up while swinging a sword that's twice your height. That moment when you connect, and stop a wyvern twenty times your size in its tracks while shattering it's horns out of sheer skill rather than level grinding though. Just pure gaming bliss.

There's always a few people like this in every MH thread, claiming that because they don't like something it must be shit, and millions of people who've put dozens or hundreds of hours into it just don't realise that the game they love isn't any good.
Monster Hunter combat is like the polar opposite of Batman combat and that's why it's fun.

Rizzi

Yeah, right. You really put 20 hour into a game that you feel controls poorly? Not buying it.

If MH isn't for you, fine. The games do well enough so that the rest of us will keep getting new entries to enjoy - without you.

You caught me. I'm lying about how much time I spent trying to figure out when a game would feel good. Congratulations you ace detective you.

This thread is so bizarre. Sure, monhun isn't for everyone, but I just cannot fathom why so many people think the games control poorly.
You caught me. I'm lying about how much time I spent trying to figure out when a game would feel good. Congratulations you ace detective you.
you're probably just not very good.

Spending time with a game series like MH or DMC or Ninja Gaiden or the Souls game isn't an apt replacement for skill.

Some people just aren't as good at games. It's okay. Move on.

Top Bottom