• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Enough is enough, Capcom: It's time to marry Monster Hunter and Dragon's Dogma

Gutss

dont make monster hunter more complicated as it is now, since the ps2 i never touch this game, but it got a special place in my heart. one of this days i will play you to death.

Ps: Dragons dogmas intro is beast!! by B'z

redcrayon

This thread is so bizarre. Sure, monhun isn't for everyone, but I just cannot fathom why so many people think the games control poorly.
I think it's because it's different. Players are used to near-standardised controls or combat styles across various popular titles these days. Even within the action game genre, the most popular ones focus on fast counters and cancels when dealing with large numbers of small opponents, as opposed to the deliberate requirement to commit vs a single opponent with MH's larger weapons.

Even then, there are several small and fast weapon options, but I think some new players see the damage stat of the larger weapons and choose them. Then are dismayed to find they can't wield it in the same way as action games that let you cancel out of everything so you look like a badass even when you've messed up. Mess up in MH and the wyvern will rip you apart, not wait around to make you look cool.

MH requires new players to learn how to play it from the ground up rather than bringing across much in the way of skills from other games. It can be a bit of a barrier, but then I've often thought Souls does the same, breaking down your bad habits and learned comfort zone of games that stroke the player ego, and teaching you how to play something new that is ultimately highly rewarding.

Ultrabum

You caught me. I'm lying about how much time I spent trying to figure out when a game would feel good. Congratulations you ace detective you.

Hey, it's OK to not be good at a game as hard and deep as monster hunter. Shit, I suck at street fighter but that doesn't mean I think the controls are trash.

Rizzi

Stay classy neogaf.
Don't think a game controls well? You've either not spent enough time with it or you're just shit at games.

redcrayon

Stay classy neogaf.
Don't think a game controls well? You've either not spent enough time with it or you're just shit at games.

Your initial response was hardly the depiction of measured analysis. Perhaps if you'd led with a slightly longer explanation of why you don't like it rather than

Originally Posted by Rizzi
Monster Hunter is clunky and slow. It controls like shit.

You might have had classier responses. It doesn't help that you haven't replied to the more reasonable responses in any way that might lead to constructive debate, you were just shitposting with 'it's shit, no argument'.

daakusedo

When I spent time on monster hunter, I found the subtlety of positionning enthusiasming, finding a close spot near monsters where you'll avoid his charge etc.
But I was missing parry, then charge blade happened and got even more refined in Generations with the bushido style.
Now I still think they need to have interesting maps and traversal, at least for solo.
There's nice settings that you would want to explore, but it's just decorum.
As it is, it's not a game I spend lot of time outside of multiplayer.

Stay classy neogaf.

Because you don't understand what it is going for.

It's an objectively well controlling game that has objectively great hitboxes and an objectively well put together combat system.

I don't like thing =/= thing is bad

L Thammy

This seems to be an appropriate place to ask. Does anyone have that old comic of the game reviewer playing Monster Hunter, asking "where is the lock on", "why is my sword so slow", then giving up? Seems like it should be easy to find, but I can't find it anymore.

No they shouldn't it would only pretty much help kill Monster Hunter which is their main sucessful brand at this point. They would be stupid to merge the two.

Itachi87

I'm down for them combining the best features of DD w/ MH, but even just a Dragon's Dogma sequel would be nice. I hope with the success of Dark Arisen on PC, they'll get a green light to make a sequel.

spiritfox

Stay classy neogaf.

What you did was basically the same as going into a Pokemon thread and saying any Pokemon after Gen1 was crap. What did you think would have happened?

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Stay classy neogaf.

I'm going to go ahead and just quote your first post in this thread to you so you realize how big of a shithead you are.

Monster Hunter is clunky and slow. It controls like shit.

Stay classy indeed

Soriku

I think Horizon is beating them to the punch if Xenoblade hasnt already. Capcom has been sitting on Monster Hunter console for way way too long, and its apparent that those creature designs could look absolutely incredible on current gen hardware, but they sat on their hands because the mobile version was doing well enough.

I think Horizon and Xenoblade will start a slew of "Giant monsters in giant open world" game which really only Xenoblade took advantage of for some reason.

I think FF XV is another contender.

Stay classy neogaf.

The fact is the game's controls are fine. They're just not for everybody.

You don't like them, fine, we got the message.

edit : oh, I see how things are turning.

Ganondorfo

Its weird that we still dont have a Dragons Dogma 2 announced. Doesnt Capcom know that Neogaf loves Dark Arisen, every week there is a new appreciation/loving thread for Dragons Dogma.

Even on the community of Reddit, I see weekly new Dragons Dogma gifs.

labx

Banned
Op you remember Deep Down? The game that all of Dragon's Dogma players but all our hopes and dreams?

Yep, Capcom took that from us. So that is that.

Anura

So basically it's "I like Dragons dogma but I don't like monster hunter, can we just make monster hunter exactly like dragons dogma". I'm just going to go out on a limb and say that's a terrible idea.

sn00zer

This seems like an awful idea. You don't actually want to play Monster Hunter do you?

I think its just a shame the Monster Hunter is really the only way people have defined "hunting monsters" in games. Its a very neat idea that seems to be hamstrung by the Monster Hunter genre because it is a known quantity that works (Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden).

You seem kind of angry that I have an opinion of a video game's controls, shithead.

Boy-That-Escalated-Quickly-Anchorman.gif

Mozendo

Its weird that we still dont have a Dragons Dogma 2 announced. Doesnt Capcom know that Neogaf loves Dark Arisen, every week there is a new appreciation/loving thread for Dragons Dogma.

Even on the community of Reddit, I see weekly new Dragons Dogma gifs.

Didn't they recently work on Dragon's Dogma Online? I don't think that's been out for a year.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
No thanks, Id rather have two good things remain separate! Each IP has their own distinct flavor, and thats something that should be celebrated!

Monster Hunter is overrated and should just die so Dragons Dogma can take its place. Dragon Dogma is strictly the better game. No marriage needed.

I think its just a shame the Monster Hunter is really the only way people have defined "hunting monsters" in games. Its a very neat idea that seems to be hamstrung by the Monster Hunter genre because it is a known quantity that works (Soul Sacrifice, Toukiden).
??

There are plenty of games where you hunt monsters that aren't monhun clones.

The "hunting game" genre is a misnomer equivalent to "monhun-like"

I posted here yesterday, but seeing this thread on the front page again, I just can't get past the whole "I don't like Monster Hunter, so please change Monster Hunter into something that I do like" request. You want a Dragon's Dogma sequel that takes design cues from Monster Hunter. You don't want Monster Hunter.

Thing is though that millions of people do like Monster Hunter. That's why every year a new game comes out and sells millions of copies. It's a current, relevant, popular series. Capcom would be stupid to morph it into something that those millions of loyal customers don't want and didn't ask for.

Edit: And if the NX turns out to have both home and handheld variants with cross compatible software, it would solve the whole "I like MH but wish it was on console" thing too.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
DD is probably Capcom's biggest failure ever considering the lofty expectations they had for it. They spent more money on it than any other game until RE 6, and unlike that game it did not sell even that well. RE 6 is their second best selling game ever and while it also didn't meet sales expectations it didn't miss it as badly as DD did. Why you would ever weigh down the MH franchise with a millstone like the DD brand? Short answer, you wouldn't.

I read your post and I get what you're going for OP, but I'd rather just have a dragon's dogma 2 than have the monster hunter name sully a dragon's dogma game.

Monster hunter is a completely different game, for a completely different audience. I personally can't stand the series, its design and its awful combat

There is nothing wrong with dragon's dogma, there is no stigma on the dragon's dogma name. They can just keep using it and build their own IP, like from did with the souls series.

Almost everyone who discovers DD loves it. Just give it time.

RedSwirl

I've been wondering about this for years.

The only thing I see the OP saying is that Capcom should try to make a separate version of Monster Hunter that combines the underlying systems of the MH games with a more standardized action game control scheme (like Dragon's Dogma if you will), release it on consoles and PC with a probably bigger emphasis on online play, and target it towards western audiences. While doing this Capcom could keep making its conventional Japanese handheld Monster Hunter games.

I understand Monster Hunter has a very particular way of doing things, but this thread (and others) has shown that its controls are very different from what most people who play console action games are used to. Monster Hunter fans don't seem to realize how weird Monster Hunter is to most gamers. More importantly though, there's a sense that Capcom hasn't really done everything it could to push Monster Hunter in western markets. The main reason the earlier ones didn't do extremely well outside Japan is because they almost exclusively released on dedicated handhelds with a focus on local multiplayer -- opportunities for which don't happen nearly as much outside Japanese cities. Capcom hasn't once tried to do a real Monster Hunter game on PlayStation and Xbox in the west (excluding the original PS2 games). If I'm not mistaken to this day the only Monster Hunter that doesn't use roughly PS2--level art assets is the China-only F2P game.

The only reasons I can think of for Capcom keeping Monster Hunter in the form of a very Japanese handheld game are:

1) It just isn't willing to change Monster Hunter controls and thus re-balance the game too much for it to work in a potentially bigger market.

2) Part of the reason Monster Hunter works for Capcom is because it doesn't require a AAA console game budget to develop.

I think it's because it's different. Players are used to near-standardised controls or combat styles across various popular titles these days. Even within the action game genre, the most popular ones focus on fast counters and cancels when dealing with large numbers of small opponents, as opposed to the deliberate requirement to commit vs a single opponent with MH's larger weapons.

Even then, there are several small and fast weapon options, but I think some new players see the damage stat of the larger weapons and choose them. Then are dismayed to find they can't wield it in the same way as action games that let you cancel out of everything so you look like a badass even when you've messed up. Mess up in MH and the wyvern will rip you apart, not wait around to make you look cool.

MH requires new players to learn how to play it from the ground up rather than bringing across much in the way of skills from other games. It can be a bit of a barrier, but then I've often thought Souls does the same, breaking down your bad habits and learned comfort zone of games that stroke the player ego, and teaching you how to play something new that is ultimately highly rewarding.

I would argue that the reason more people in the west are willing to push through the barrier for Souls is because a) It's available on platforms they actually give a shit about, and b) the Souls control scheme actually lines up pretty well with the modern standard for console action games. Learning Souls is less about figuring out weird controls and more about figuring out the intricacies of the game itself. The OP is just asking for a sectioned-off version of Monster Hunter that removes those barriers for the PlayStation/Xbox/PC market, while not erasing the Japan-centric handheld games.

Did it ever occur to you that so many people buy Monster Hunter because they want a game with... Monster Hunter's gameplay?

Shocking, I know.

Toxi

Banned
"I want a handheld Dark Souls with Monster Hunter gameplay. Dark Souls sells well, but I don't really like Dark Souls and I play handheld, so From should change Dark Souls to play like Monster Hunter, except named Dark Souls. If they don't, they're missing millions of potential sales. They haven't even tried a handheld Dark Souls yet, so you can't say it's a bad idea. Plus, Dark Souls has clunky awful combat, so this will only be an improvement."

I'd rather they marry Remake with Dino Crisis first.

This is actually a great idea.

Maybe it'll happen after R3make

NX is both console and portable.

Pleasing both east and west.

Please anticipate Monster Hunter G²enerations 5.

Could be great if they actually put time and effort into the console version. MH3U on 3DS somehow ran at a higher framerate than the Wii U version because it was clear they threw that one together in about 2 hours.

-MB-

I posted here yesterday, but seeing this thread on the front page again, I just can't get past the whole "I don't like Monster Hunter, so please change Monster Hunter into something that I do like" request. You want a Dragon's Dogma sequel that takes design cues from Monster Hunter. You don't want Monster Hunter.

Thing is though that millions of people do like Monster Hunter. That's why every year a new game comes out and sells millions of copies. It's a current, relevant, popular series. Capcom would be stupid to morph it into something that those millions of loyal customers don't want and didn't ask for.

Edit: And if the NX turns out to have both home and handheld variants with cross compatible software, it would solve the whole "I like MH but wish it was on console" thing too.

If only. It isn't merely about being on consoles, but more about a specific set of consoles, that are coincidentally not Nintendo consoles.

Meesh

I'd rather they continue to refine MH and launch Generations HD on consoles. They've been improving the controls it seems for the last few games, I don't have a problem with the direction they're going there, but a shiny new console upgrade would be spot on. Even on PC in NA Capcom, why not??

I'd rather they continue to refine MH and launch Generations HD on consoles. They've been improving the controls it seems for the last few games, I don't have a problem with the direction they're going there, but a shiny new console upgrade would be spot on. Even on PC in NA Capcom, why not??

I don't think the problem is the game's controls, the problem is the platforms MH has been on (aside from Wii U) have all had shit controls. 3DS and PSP are just not fit for action games.

MHFU is honestly probably the worst controlling thing I've ever tried to play. I imagine that game would actually be good on a dualshock pad. No, I'm not going to claw. I'll just play a game that isn't on the PSP or 3DS.

-MB-

I don't think the problem is the game's controls, the problem is the platforms MH has been on (aside from Wii U) have all had shit controls. 3DS and PSP are just not fit for action games.

MHFU is honestly probably the worst controlling thing I've ever tried to play. I imagine that game would actually be good on a dualshock pad. No, I'm not going to claw. I'll just play a game that isn't on the PSP or 3DS.

Luckily u have the proverbial pick of th elitter on consoles, when it comes to game selection, why want the few handheld exclusives too and deprive others who have so little there just cuz u want everything?

Top Bottom