• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erdogan: Europeans 'will not walk safely' if current attitude persists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caayn

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-referendum-europe-idUSKBN16T13E

Ankara has accused its European allies of using "Nazi methods" by banning Turkish ministers from addressing rallies in Europe over security concerns. The comments have led to a sharp deterioration in ties with the European Union, which Turkey still aspires to join.

"Turkey is not a country you can pull and push around, not a country whose citizens you can drag on the ground," Erdogan said at an event for Turkish journalists in Ankara, in comments broadcast live on national television.

"If Europe continues this way, no European in any part of the world can walk safely on the streets. We, as Turkey, call on Europe to respect human rights and democracy," Erdogan said at event for local journalists in Ankara.

Yesterday Erdogan already stated that it'll review the relationship it has with the EU after the referendum is over.

Banish my cows if old.

We, as Turkey, call on Europe to respect human rights and democracy

merkel-as-hitler.jpg

G.ZZZ

He's not gonna lose, be real. Polls calling "close" mean the rural area will magically vote 110% for him if that's needed for him to win.

nampad

So Turkey isn't Europe? Just what I thought, fuck off with your EU wannabe membership.
I supported them joining before but with Erdogan they can stick it.

MarveI

Can't wait till they get rid of this clown. Because that's all he is.
No one takes him serious and no one should. Just laugh it off and move on.

Turkey was such a beautiful place before he took over and hopefully he can GTFO soon one way or the other so they can recover from his horrible leadership/dictatorship.

Guy lost it.

What the hell is his endgame here? Is he just willing to burn everything to win that referendum? He sounds desperate.

I don't think he's done, but doesn't he have to cede power pretty soon if he loses? Isn't that what the referendum is about? Letting him continue to hold his position?

Yes, the referendum is his final power grab. He will extend his powers and be the practical emperor of Turkey. Of course he thinks it's worth fighting for.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
You have a strange notion of what a "democratic union" is.

European Parliament: directly elected by the citizens
European Commission: nominated by the member states on representation of the whole Union
Council of the European Union: executive governments of each member state
Admission of member states: voluntary
Departure of member states: allowed

Goddamn, this evil undemocratic superstate.

Try these search terms and report back "democratic deficit" + "european union"
It's one thing to argue that the EU could use some reforms. It's a whole different one to doubt that it's a democratic institution.

theaface

European Commission: nominated by the member states on representation of the whole Union

Thank you. Not saying that's what is happening in this particular thread, but people are very quick to regurgitate the "unelected bureaucrats" line from Farage and the Daily Mail about the EU without the slightest pause for thought as to what that even means and if its true (it's not).

kmag

Come on it's not democratic unless it has an hereditary head of state, the largest permanent non elected legislative in the world, and regularly returns governments with near absolute power on ~34% of the vote. Only then can it whack on about how democratic it is.

theaface

Come on it's not democratic unless it has an hereditary head of state, the largest permanent non elected legislative in the world, and regularly returns governments with near absolute power on ~34% of the vote. Only then can it whack on about how democratic it is.

Don't forget to sprinkle in the odd referendum to truly demonstrate the 'will of the people', but just be sure to disregard the time when Margaret Thatcher described referendum as a device of dictators and demagogues.

jelly

Wow, what a nut job.

At least Theresa May made a trade deal recently, UK are buddies. How low can you go.

So when is Germany planning to aggressively expand its military again? It needs to happen now, the world needs a strong Germany.

18-Volt

I have never seen a guy asking for an assassination so badly. He has a incredibly long list of enemies and he's still trying to add new ones there.

Wonder if his best buddies Qatar and UAE will be there when an actual, genuine coup happens.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
You're witnessing the making of another long Putin style ascension to the throne. This guy isnt going anywhere until he hits his final expiration date.

Sarek

That doesn't seem like a smart thing to say when you leading a nation that is heavily relient on tourism.

So he is threatening EU citizens with terror attacks?

Wow.

Sort of. I think his choice of phrasing is supposed to cover it as, 'Well, I'm saying your arrogance will make people across the world hate you, I'm not actually encouraging terror attacks!' as if the world outside of Europe and the middle east were even watching this election with much attention at all.

That doesn't seem like a smart thing to say when you leading a nation that is heavily relient on tourism.

If the EU sanctions trade with Turkey, he can basically close the country down.

Have fun with Russia and these Middle East countires that you didn't piss off as your left trading partners, Erdogan.

Xando

Dude already backtracked and canceled all of the german campaign events for the referendum after they threatened to cut aid payments.

Erdogan is literally trying to appeal to his nationalist followers. He won't do anything that threatens the money he receives from europe (especially germany).

So when is Germany planning to aggressively expand its military again? It needs to happen now, the world needs a strong Germany.
Germany doesn't need a stronger military. They have enough soft power to fuck erdogan (and most european/middle eastern country) sideways

MKIL65

Can't wait till they get rid of this clown. Because that's all he is.
No one takes him serious and no one should. Just laugh it off and move on.

Turkey was such a beautiful place before he took over and hopefully he can GTFO soon one way or the other so they can recover from his horrible leadership/dictatorship.

I feel ashamed everyday, knowing that I have turkish blood in me. I don't plan to return anytime until he is removed from any position of power.

Mivey

Never. Too much bad PR, people still remember last time Germany built up a strong millitary. Maybe as part of an united army of Europe, with leadership shared between countries. Not seeing that happening soon, however. For one, there is no democratic support in increasing military spending, neither in Germany nor anywhere else. Funny how that's the one thing in US politics that's never questioned.

Rien

Jelly Belly
What a big crybaby.. cant he fuck off already?

Yesterday they showed an Erdogan supporter from the Netherlands who said he didnt agree with the Netherlands their additude against the Turks 2 weeks ago.
Well there is nothing wrong with disagreeing and i can respect that... but like 2 seconds later he focussed in the camera and start to wave his hands and said: RTE! Recep Tayyip Erdoğan Will come and take over everyone.
I never blamed for ppl to return to their origins but yesterday i caved in and said it.. and i dont even feel bad about it. What a fucking clown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom