• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Erdogan: Europeans 'will not walk safely' if current attitude persists

Status
Not open for further replies.
And just like that, tourism to Turkey collapsed yet again.

8022puhq.jpg

That's rich. Clearly he's not talking about actual military warnings because no nation has ever attacked another nation that has nukes. US military industrial complex is licking their chops though. That would be huge profits. That leaves only terrorism as his "warning" which won't go well for him personally. This guy is inching closer to Saddam Hussein light.

Well...

I hope European countries are patient enough not to attack Erdogan. Because creating this "we against them" attitude is exactly what he wants, and every attack in him just helps him within the election.

Once that's out of the way, I hope the European countries will be prepared to show this fucking wannabe dictator the costs of his actions.

Germany doesn't need a stronger military. They have enough soft power to fuck erdogan (and most european/middle eastern country) sideways

Then what are they waiting for? Turkey and Russia are actively destabilizing both the EU and NATO. The time for strong counter measures is now.

we should launch a democratic coup led by the military.

turkey is nato is a joke, the fact theyre the second biggest army in it is irrelevant

Xando

Then what are they waiting for? Turkey and Russia are actively destabilizing both the EU and NATO. The time for strong counter measures is now.

Turkey doesn't do shit. All Erdogan does is talk and bait people into hating turkey.
The EU is in erdogans interest and all this tough man talk is to gain votes for his referendum.

Erdogans power inside turkey might be great, outside of it he doesn't have much sway. The threat of economic aid being cut by germany has already made him backtrack

Tourists from the EU visiting Turkey are in free fall. That alone will cause huge problems for the Turkish economy.

Which will likely further galvanize internal support for Erdogan.

Turkey doesn't do shit. All Erdogan does is talk and bait people into hating turkey.
The EU is in erdogans interest and all this tough man talk is to gain votes for his referendum.

Erdogans power inside turkey might be great, outside of it he doesn't have much sway. The threat of economic aid being cut by germany has already made him backtrack

Erdogan is a blustering buffoon, but he did just threaten the safety of EU citizens. That can hardly be considered backtracking. I understand how hard he is to deal with diplomatically given Turkey's situation, but failing to prepare for the possibility of the worst happening is a recipe for disaster.

Xando

Erdogan is a blustering buffoon, but he did just threaten the safety of EU citizens. That can hardly be considered backtracking. I understand how hard he is to deal with diplomatically given Turkey's situation, but failing to prepare for the possibility of the worst happening is a recipe for disaster.

I was talking about this:

Turkish leaders will hold no further campaign rallies in Germany before Turkey's April 16 referendum, organizers said on Tuesday, after an ally of German Chancellor Angela Merkel said they were not welcome.

The announcement by the Union of European Turkish Democrats (UETD) underscored a sharp deterioration in relations between NATO allies Germany and Turkey ahead of the referendum on boosting the powers of Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan.

"We will not organize any further events with Turkish government officials before the referendum," UETD President Zafer Sirakaya told Germany's Wirtschaftswoche magazine. Sirakaya was not available for immediate comment but an UETD spokeswoman confirmed the quote as reported by the magazine.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-referendum-germany-idUSKBN16S0X7

Economic success is the key thing why Erdogan is popular. Once that's gone he is just a guy that talks a little too much.

I hope so.

And to the above I also hope Germany tightening the economic and diplomatic screws is enough to calm things down. The world needs rational, stable leadership in as many countries as possible - especially in places as important as Turkey.

God I hope so.

Saw these poll numbers on Wikipedia (red is "No") and looks like you may be right. His tantrums are actually aiding the opposing.

Opinion_pollar.png
I know that turkish people are pretty loyal to their leaders and patriotic to their country. Let's hope that people stay more rationale und easy.

Yeah. let's hope they do the right thing.

I like my turkish friends I have been growing up with, and I don't want growing dissent with them if this continues.

Skyzard

Banned
I'm not surprised he'd say something this moronic, but some context would be interesting to see exactly what he's saying.

That sentence is all I could find. Not too surprising either.

hEist

this guy...

if the "no" votes keep rising, I don't know why, but I think he would stage an terror attack on turkish soil 2 weeks before the vote. I truly hope, that this will not happen but he is so erratic so far.

Oriel

this guy...

if the "no" votes keep rising, I don't know why, but I think he would stage an terror attack on turkish soil 2 weeks before the vote. I truly hope, that this will not happen but he is so erratic so far.

I'm expecting a rigged result at this stage. Erdogan will have learnt a lot from his newest BFF Putin.

And in the unlikely event of a no result he'll probably just rerun it again.

Condom

Guy lost it.

What the hell is his endgame here? Is he just willing to burn everything to win that referendum? He sounds desperate.
His whole political career was focused on this moment, he will probably kill himself if he doesn't become the next Emir of Turkey. That or just do another referendum.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
You know what, Fuck you Erdogan and Fuck anyone advocating his actions which have set back Turkey-European relations by at least 20 years.

You, of all people have no authority to speak on human rights Erdogan you wanna be tin pot dictator.

Did he just threaten us Europeans?

yes he did..
if eu decide to let turkey in while erdogan has anything to have with it, it will be a sad day..
but even with europe top brass being far too lenient usually, I doubt they will let this slide and turkey membership request will be on hiatus for a long time...

Caayn

I'm not surprised he'd say something this moronic, but some context would be interesting to see exactly what he's saying.

That sentence is all I could find. Not too surprising either.
Reuters have updated their article, providing more information about the situation.

Jeels

This guy has been sabotaging a stable and vibrant Turkey for so long it's so upsetting.

I remember when I was really proud of Turkey for being a democratic, secular Muslim country. :( I'd always use it as an example of things to come in other Muslim countries.

what a shitty day to come and say this shit on the part of Erdogan, on the 1 year anniversary of the Brussels attack and on the same day with current developments in London.

fuck Erdogan

You have a strange notion of what a "democratic union" is.

You're saying it's not?

Being kn the middle of Europe feels like being surrounded by idiots.

What? /edit: eh ok.

And just like that, tourism to Turkey collapsed yet again.

Yeah, just one of the many reasons why I can't fathom ever saying stupid shit like this. How do you fail upwards so spectacularly? It boggles the mind.

Skyzard

Banned
Reuters have updated their article, providing more information about the situation.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Sounds like he's saying Turkish people will be so mad that they will take it out on Europeans everywhere. Almost sounds like a threat, as I feared.

Complete dumbass dipshit.

I could tell from the interview he had after the coup attempt. Although iirc he was speaking in English so it could be part of the reason but his reasoning was street level, just a complete dumbass.

European Parliament: directly elected by the citizens
European Commission: nominated by the member states on representation of the whole Union
Council of the European Union: executive governments of each member state
Admission of member states: voluntary
Departure of member states: allowed

Goddamn, this evil undemocratic superstate.

It's one thing to argue that the EU could use some reforms. It's a whole different one to doubt that it's a democratic institution.

Then why do I feel my country is being "managed" by Troika?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom