• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-student in Rutgers webcam case is spared prison

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...Il-2Wg?docId=6505c1db4ffb495382d91871f546d926

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J. (AP) — The former Rutgers University student convicted of bias intimidation for using a webcam to see his roommate and another man kissing days before the roommate committed suicide is getting a 30-day jail term and then probation.
A judge sentenced 20-year-old Dharun Ravi (dah-ROON' RAH'-vee) on Monday.
Ravi's roommate, Tyler Clementi, was held up as a symbol of what bullying can do to young gays. He killed himself in September 2010 by jumping off the George Washington Bridge.
Advocates for Ravi have protested the idea that he could be sent to prison for years for what they see as a misguided decision — but one that may not have been linked to Clementi's suicide.
A jury convicted Ravi in March of all 15 criminal counts he faced.

Wow... 30 days...

that kid is gay himself, thought he would've liked jail

jackie-chan-wtf-face-i4.jpg

His punishment is that his life is more or less ruined and probably brought his family a lot of shame (Americans don't care so much, but East and South Asians do).

Don't know...maybe he can legally change his name, but any basic employment background check will turn it up.

LQX

Sad but I really don't think he is responsible for that other kid ultimately taking his own life but that 30-day jail sentence is a good message to stop doing stupid shit. Respect other people.

daycru

His punishment is that his life is more or less ruined and probably brought his family a lot of shame (Americans don't care so much, but East and South Asians do).

Don't know...maybe he can legally change his name, but any basic employment background check will turn it up.
He'll go back to India where no one will give a shit.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

3224199o.gif

Wait, you'll just end up blaming the victim afterwards.

That was a dumb thing for you to say.

I don't know. Longer than 30 days when it pushes someone to suicide?

I don't believe that a suicide should exacerbate any crime. What he did was fucked up whether the guy killed himself or not, and it should be punished accordingly. I don't believe in holding people legally responsible for someone else committing suicide, taking that line of thought to its logical conclusion would be absurd. If you wrong me, that much is on you. If I decide to kill myself because of it, that's on me.

Raguel

I love it when people such stupid things because of the gif/pic responses and the ban that may be coming. It's like the Darwin awards but on neogaf. Also, you're an idiot.

I don't know. Longer than 30 days when it pushes someone to suicide?

I don't remember the details on this case but the amount of pushing required to make someone commit suicide is going to vary quite a bit from person to person. Some people are weaker (I know that sounds insensitive but I can't think of a better phrase). Unless the convicted was in his face everyday telling him to kill himself then I do not think you can attribute the victim's death to this guy. Idk. I just don't understand how people seeing a video of you kissing someone warrants the action to kill yourself.

I think the judge made the right call. I'm sure there was a lot more to the story and it was probably clear Ravi never meant to do that much damage, he just chose the wrong victim.

Sucks the dude killed himself but shit like this gets blown up way too much.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I have to say that the media did a lot of disinformation in this case. I was for him getting convicted until the facts were released after the case.

The community service deal would have forced him to go in front of the court and say "I hate gay people, I did this because I hate gay people", and have it on public record that he said that.

Hopefully he'll be e-stalked for the next few years and "outed" as someone who drove his roommate to suicide at every burger-flipping job he's capable of getting hired at after this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Not asking you to defend yourself or the such, but what facts swayed you?

I should clarify that I meant the Hate Crime sentence.

I agree with Dan Savage, co-founder of the It Gets Better Project. He wrote that, although he considers Ravi's actions to have been "the last straw" that triggered Clementi's suicide, he deplores the "mob mentality" that focuses on "a couple of stupid teenagers who should've known better but didn't." He argues that attention should, instead, be directed toward the "adults and institutions" in society who "perpetuate anti-gay prejudice", and says that the absence of such attention amounts to "a coverup".

Also there was a lot of false information about the case. Ravi did not seem him having sex. There was no video posted or streamed online, for Ravi's friends or the public.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom