• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-student in Rutgers webcam case is spared prison

Status
Not open for further replies.

nib95

Banned
Then, shouldn't we round up everyone who ever bullied this kid, and give them all equal punishments, since they all contributed to his death? I don't think we can arbitrarily say, that this one guy deserves all the punishment since he was the one who broke the proverbial camel's back. I think we can all agree the bullying is unacceptable, but I don't think running around handing out arbitrary punitive punishments is any way to rectify this issue. Bullying needs to be fought pro-actively through education, not retroactively by throwing people in jail for extended periods of time, when unfortunate situations like this happen.

EDIT- I was supposed to quote Mammoth.

On a side note, often bullies do see the error of their ways and fix up later in life, often becoming completely different people. Sometimes it's not even entirely malicious, just stupidity or immaturity. A childish laugh. I'd be lying if I said I hadn't bullied someone at least a couple of times in my life or been subject to some minor bullying myself. I think many people have in some form or another inadvertently.

Someone does something to piss you off and childishly you get back at them in a petty way with a cheeky comment, insult or whatever.

I just think the people calling for life have taken this thing way too personal and are asking for a punishment that is way too severe. Obviously there are degree's of bullying, but I don't think Ravi's was persistent or damning enough to be worthy of such a punishment.

Synless

Then, shouldn't we round up everyone who ever bullied this kid, and give them all equal punishments, since they all contributed to his death? I don't think we can arbitrarily say, that this one guy deserves all the punishment since he was the one who broke the proverbial camel's back. I think we can all agree the bullying is unacceptable, but I don't think running around handing out arbitrary punitive punishments is any way to rectify this issue. Bullying needs to be fought pro-actively through education, not retroactively by throwing people in jail for extended periods of time, when unfortunate situations like this happen.

EDIT- I was supposed to quote Mammoth.
And you said everything I was about to say in response to mammoth as well.

How about if I was dating a girl and started cheating on her with a new chick and then broke it off with my girl. Then I started to parade this new chick around campus in an effort to make my ex jealous. It works and my ex kills herself - should I go to jail ?

no jail time of course. but what if you somehow hacked her laptop and broadcasted your self having sex with the new girl just to the Ex's laptop? do we have a case then?

I rarely come across an example where I leave thinking the authorities actually fully took into account the effect of bullying. It's a tragedy that there are large remnants in our society that still believes bullying should be viewed through the prism of 'kids being kids'; we are simply too lenient with it in my opinion.

I don't see why this type of response doesn't constitute a ban
Doesn't add anything and is made up of pure hate ..
At least the other poster who got banned was just trying to get a laugh (albeit in poor taste)

Let's see. I got told to "fuck off" in a thread about comics the other day, and DY_Nasty told someone to "fuck off" last night in the Black Pastors thread and they are still posting. I get that there are times when emotion takes hold and maybe those posters should be cut a temporary break, considering what's being argued here? I've been pushed to that point before here by posters that thought it was a fine time to bait me.

But Fred is on a two week ban. Am I just not PMing a mod or what?

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Let's see. I got told to "fuck off" in a thread about comics the other day, and DY_Nasty told someone to "fuck off" last night in the Black Pastors thread and they are still posting. I get that there are times when emotion takes hold and maybe those posters should be cut a temporary break, considering what's being argued here? I've been pushed to that point before here by posters that thought it was a fine time to bait me.

You and DY_Nasty are mostly even-keeled in your typical responses, whereas Mercury Fred seemingly goes off the handle in EVERY LGBT-themed thread he enters.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant

I told Dead Man to "go fuck himself or PM me" because he's been bringing up things from months ago then skirting back like a kitten whenever I address him about. He's free to PM me and get whatever issues he has with me off his chest just like anyone else is.

I have never lead out with a simple, blunt Fuck You. like Mercury Fred did.

I told Dead Man to "go fuck himself or PM me" because he's been bringing up things from months ago then skirting back like a kitten whenever I address him about. He's free to PM me and get whatever issues he has with me off his chest just like anyone else is.

I have never lead out with a simple, blunt Fuck You. like Mercury Fred did.

I don't want you banned. Far from it, I know that things get to that point sometimes when emotions are high.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I don't want you banned. Far from it, I know that things get to that point sometimes when emotions are high.

The only thing that gets my emotions high on this site these days is the possibility of getting the 4th pick in the NBA Draft next week. A lot of people think that I'm being super involved in threads when I'm really just consistently dry and non-empathetic regarding things discussed here that I've either had a hand in or still actively involve myself in. For example, in that same thread, Gaborn posted something about what he got from an MLK speech - I don't care. Its not to be mean or anything, I just don't. And I'm not going to pretend like I do either. I've been in involved in too many community service events and and social work projects to go back to the talking about ideal worlds and all that jazz like its all that really matters.

Personal attacks though. That's never been my thing - but Mercury Fred has always been on some "fuck you and all you stand for if you disagree" type stuff.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
no jail time of course. but what if you somehow hacked her laptop and broadcasted your self having sex with the new girl just to the Ex's laptop? do we have a case then?
I don't know much about the law for hacking into someone's laptop but if illegal, I doubt I would receive any jail time - especially if I had a clean record

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom