• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

KtSlime

Agent Icebeezy said:
Fixed for accuracy. Their lack of response is astounding.

How would you expect them to respond? Put a front page ad in the NY Times: "W3 got hoX0r-d by teh geohotz, download ur warez for fr33."

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Agent Icebeezy said:
Fixed for accuracy. Their lack of response is astounding.

Not really.

They did say two days ago that they were aware of this and planned to stop it with a series of network updates.

What else can they do?

They don't want to make a big deal of it because 99% of the public doesn't know about this and wouldn't understand it anyway - why tell them they can pirate games if they just wait a little while?

Also, they may want to let this develop a bit and wait and see what happens and what gets released and used, they may need to see so many PS3s with CFW on it before they have an idea how to stop it.

Finally, if they actually do have a strategy in mind the last thing they would want to do is let the hackers know ahead of time so they can plan their next response.

Sony's said all they are going to say.

Conflict NZ said:
What are the odds of PS2 emulation ever running smoothly? I've been wanting to put my ps2 into storage for a while now but can't because I have a slim.

The chances of smooth PS2 emulation on a PS3 Slim? Somewhere between zero and nil.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Zoe said:
Obviously not if people are still asking if it's safe to go onto PSN.

I have to agree with you. Unbelievable really.

yurinka

cyberheater said:
If you go on PSN whilst using a CFW then there is a risk that you will leave a fingerprint that would allow Sony to ban you. It all depends how aggressive Sony wants to be to combat this.
In PSP they just disabled PSN for non-official firmwares. As I remember they never banned a user for using custom firmwares or homebrew.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Per DEAN...

"Now as a simple POC (proof of concept) that a game can run without ANY SYSCALLS involved (from internal HDD) I created a small application. Here are the steps:

1) Get a game and write down the game ID (let’s say XXXX12345)
2) Copy the game contents to /dev_hdd0/game/XXXX12345 (no PS3_GAME folder involved)
3) Rename /dev_hdd0/game/XXXX12345/USRDIR/EBOOT.BIN to MM_EBOOT.BIN
4) Install the magic MYGAME.pkg (the one I created)
5) Run your game backup from the XMB without a blu-ray game disc inserted and without /app_home or any other mappings (no syscalls used by the small app)
6) Game starts and plays as if it was ran from BD-ROM disc
7) Should you decide to update the game to a later version 2 more steps are requred but you get the general idea.
The good thing is that game saves, tropheys and updates work, since the game is spawned with the original GAME ID.

Btw the ‘magic app’ is just 4 lines of code. I’ll now test a game (Uncharted 2) to check if all is okay when there are “special circumstances”."

What does this mean...?

cyberheater

BigNastyCurve said:
backup loader from HD

Using the current version of geohot CFW 3.55 without the requirement for sys calls ?

cyberheater said:
Using the current version of geohot CFW 3.55 without the requirement for sys calls ?

Not all games, apparently, but he's still doing internal testing and a lot of them have worked.

edit: yes, signed app on Geohot's modded FW

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
cyberheater said:

Yes. It's an early beta and if you have to update/patch the game it doesn't work right now. If I'm reading right. But it's alpha and proof of concept.

itxaka

Defeatist
If no syscalls are involved (ourside of Sony's) then he is bypassing npdrm and making the ps3 believe that is launching a psn game?

Dreamcast and Saturn emus inbound, I hope. DC for sure after seeing that pretty damn good Droid port of NullDC. Don't see why SSF (Saturn emu) can't make it to the PS3.

If they can port NullDC to the PS3, why not a PS2 emu? Hardware recs for the emus that different? (Original consoles weren't that different.)

KtSlime

Genesis Knight said:
Dreamcast and Saturn emus inbound, I hope. DC for sure after seeing that pretty damn good Droid port of NullDC. Don't see why SSF (Saturn emu) can't make it to the PS3.

If they can port NullDC to the PS3, why not a PS2 emu? Hardware recs for the emus that different? (Original consoles weren't that different.)

They are very very different.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Genesis Knight said:

Saturn is a mess internally and that makes it much harder to emulate.

KAL2006

Banned
so whats been happening with this in the past 3 days. I haven't kept up with the news. can we finally play homebrew on any PS3

3rdman

Fatghost said:
Yep...although it would be interesting to see someone try to tackle it and perhaps have the SPEs emulate the individual CPUs of the Saturn.

I've no doubt the PS3 can do it but whether or not someone will ever dedicate the time needed is another matter.

Sophia

Machado said:
What's different?

Better user interface, basically. Everything I tried worked with the first one, but this one has configuration settings and such. The first one wouldn't even let you exit out of the game to load another one :lol

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Fatghost said:
Isn't that kind of an urban myth? Not that it isn't a mess internally.... But SSF exists! It's nearly perfect emulation for most games I've seen on it.

Marrshu said:
Better user interface, basically. Everything I tried worked with the first one, but this one has configuration settings and such. The first one wouldn't even let you exit out of the game to load another one :lol

Well you could always hit the PS button, but yah.

Zoe

Joey Fox said:
Is there already an application that will rip your games to the ps3 hard drive?

Only for JB PS3's. With the one that was discussed a few posts up, you would need some way to acquire the game files...

Sophia

BigNastyCurve said:
Well you could always hit the PS button, but yah.

Well yeah, that works. But it was a hassle. Plus, this newer version actually runs at 1080p/720p and not merely 480p.

KAL2006 said:
so whats been happening with this in the past 3 days. I haven't kept up with the news. can we finally play homebrew on any PS3

You've not really missed a while lot in three days, as today is probably the biggest day in regards to advancements. Today has seen a few workable things actually coming out, with snes9x 4.4.1 the most stable/useful thing released yet.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
itxaka said:
If no syscalls are involved (ourside of Sony's) then he is bypassing npdrm and making the ps3 believe that is launching a psn game?

Which for some games is pretty safe, depending on the gameid. Sony may have changed the gameid of psn releases of Warhawk/MAG, etc. than their retail discs.

Then again, they haven't really done that for PSX/PSP releases, so who knows.

jigglywiggly said:
And saving your game actually works.

Gamesaves worked in the previous one, fyi. As a test I even loaded one of the saves up in 4.4.1 and it loaded just fine. That said, 4.4.1 improves on it in every way. No reason to go with anything older.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
BocoDragon said:
Isn't that kind of an urban myth? Not that it isn't a mess internally.... But SSF exists! It's nearly perfect emulation for most games I've seen on it.

Not really a myth: SSF exists, but when you consider PS1 and Saturn had comparable performance, PS1 was emulated perfectly on PC YEARS before Saturn. It takes a much stronger PC to emulate Saturn with SSF than it does to emulate PS1.

Fatghost said:

Yeah, yeah "Saturn has so many CPUs and GPUs what a mess off the shelf parts omg".

SSF runs great on my shitty old Acer laptop from 2003.

3rdman

Genesis Knight said:
Yeah, yeah "Saturn has so many CPUs and GPUs what a mess off the shelf parts omg".

SSF runs great on my shitty old Acer laptop from 2003.
What resolution? Genuinely curious...After playing with GiriGiri, I can't stand SSF as it didn't redraw the graphics at higher resolutions. But it's been a while since I've tried...

thuway

This might sound crazy to some but I've wanted this for a long time:

1) A direct rom launcher on my XMB, without having to go into the emulator and play the rom. For example, Final Fantasy VI is on my XMB just like Stardust HD. Is this possible?

2) An All-in-one emulator. Final Burn Alpha, SNES, etc. - all put into one giant program :).

3rdman said:
What resolution? Genuinely curious...After playing with GiriGiri, I can't stand SSF as it didn't redraw the graphics at higher resolutions. But it's been a while since I've tried...

Probably just 640x480 put to full-screen. It was blocky.

thuway said:

1) A direct rom launcher on my XMB, without having to go into the emulator and play the rom. For example, Final Fantasy VI is on my XMB just like Stardust HD. Is this possible?

2) An All-in-one emulator. Final Burn Alpha, SNES, etc. - all put into one giant program :).

I don't doubt this will happen at this point.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
thuway said:

2 exists, sorta, http://psx-scene.com/forums/f6/ps3-mednafen-latest-revision-thread-69806/

1 would be great too, I don't see why custom one game emus can't be made either.

Emulators now being installed? I am having flashbacks to the early xbox days reading about the newest thing which can be ran on the console :lol good memories.

I am glad to see that geohot is helping prevent the running of downloaded games, so far, someone out there will crack it open as they always do.

wwm0nkey said:
Im liking this emulator :D

Post vids, I'm curious.

Now's as good a time as any to ask. I don't have a PS3, but now I'm wanting to get onboard as it looks like it may become emu heaven. Should I just go grab a Slim off the shelf or would I be better served grabbing one of the older BC ones and upgrading the HDD?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Genesis Knight said:
Post vids, I'm curious.

Now's as good a time as any to ask. I don't have a PS3, but now I'm wanting to get onboard as it looks like it may become emu heaven. Should I just go grab a Slim off the shelf or would I be better served grabbing one of the older BC ones and upgrading the HDD?

Sony's grand viral marketing scheme is paying dividends :D

jamaniek

Genesis Knight said:
Post vids, I'm curious.

I'd go for a silm, since we hopefully can expect PS2 emulator in the future.

Top Bottom