• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Hmm, PS3 has eFuses too? Can't Sony do some slight control with that?

edit, is that SDK legit and not from Sony?

Mr_Brit

Banned
Why are people on here installing all these limited use CFW packages being released. Why take the risk?

It's going to take a few weeks for a proper, stable and safe CFW with backup support and other useful features to come out. You might as well wait since there isn't even any compelling homebrew out yet.

But if you're arguing that they're limited use, there's no real risk is there? It just adds installing - nothing else is touched, hardly likely to go wrong?

expy

Banned
Waiting for the time when someone releases one of these homebrews that ends up bricking everyone's console. :lol
purposely or by accident

JonathanEx said:
But if you're arguing that they're limited use, there's no real risk is there? It just adds installing - nothing else is touched, hardly likely to go wrong?

Considering the firmware downgrade utility broke BD playback for some, I'd say there's plenty of little things that could likely go wrong when being a guinea pig.

Mr_Brit

Banned
JonathanEx said:
When you're flashing a system, no matter how safe it seems it's never 100% safe. Even something as safe and common place as flashing the BIOS on your motherboard carries with it risks which is why you're only encouraged to upgrade your BIOS if it adds functionality you want or fixes any problems.

This is why it's pointless to risk flashing your PS3 as you could brick it or if connected to the PSN you could be banned. No point risking it just for the sake of the currently terrible PS3 homebrew scene. Wait a few weeks/months and you'll be rewarded with safe, stable CFW and the availability of decent homebrew.

Kintaco

Mr_Brit said:
When you're flashing a system, no matter how safe it seems it's never 100% safe. Even something as safe and common place as flashing the BIOS on your motherboard carries with it risks which is why you're only encouraged to upgrade your BIOS if it adds functionality you want or fixes any problems.

This is why it's pointless to risk flashing your PS3 as you could brick it or if connected to the PSN you could be banned. No point risking it just for the sake of the currently terrible PS3 homebrew scene. Wait a few weeks/months and you'll be rewarded with safe, stable CFW and the availability of decent homebrew.
But from my understanding this CFW has everything you'll ever need, the ability to install PKGs.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Kintaco said:
But from my understanding this CFW has everything you'll ever need, the ability to install PKGs.
There's no compelling software to install and there won't be for several weeks/months. Why would you take the risk of installing this CFW with no known consequences and no real rewards except for the sake of having CFW.

Also CFW is about so much more than being able to install PKG files. Native backup loaders, region free gaming and movies, native MKV support, custom theme support, save file restriction removal. These are some of the awesome possiblities a proper CFW release has.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mr_Brit said:
There's no compelling software to install and there won't be for several weeks/months. Why would you take the risk of installing this CFW with no known consequences and no real rewards except for the sake of having CFW.

Also CFW is about so much more than being able to install PKG files. Native backup loaders, region free gaming and movies, native MKV support, custom theme support, save file restriction removal. These are some of the awesome possiblities a proper CFW release has.
But can't you do all that with apps? You just need this current CFW to allow tou to install other apps to the PS3, so you shouldn't need CFW changes

test_account

XP-39C²
Marrshu said:
(Although, I kinda can't wait for HD loaders. Being able to run Uncharted 2 without the disc and the long loading time would make multiplayer matches more fun.)
Wouldnt the loading time only be decreased if everyone has the game installed on the HDD? Or perhaps i should say waiting time instead of loading time, since if not everyone have the game installed, you would still have to wait until everyone else have loaded the game :)

Mr_Brit

Banned
mrklaw said:
But can't you do all that with apps? You just need this current CFW to allow tou to install other apps to the PS3, so you shouldn't need CFW changes
Native support is always better.

Example:

Would you prefer to boot up a separate app each time you want to play an MKV movie or just use the XMB player?

Would you want to boot up an app every time you want to play a different region PS2/PS1/DVD/Blu-Ray or just use the XMB?

itxaka

Defeatist
Great to see already homebrew signed! :D

tabl3.jpg.jpg

whoah. What a piece of bullshit image. Wrong in a lot of places and it always end with "PIRACY!!!!!11!!!" as the "real" effect? wow.

test_account

XP-39C²
itxaka said:
whoah. What a piece of bullshit image. Wrong in a lot of places and it always end with "PIRACY!!!!!11!!!" as the "real" effect? wow.
The "effect" part is actually "side effects". They showed this chart in the 0verflow presentation and side effects was mentioned. Not sure why they didnt write "side effect" instead, it would only make the graph a bit wider.

expy

Banned
itxaka said:
Great to see already homebrew signed! :D
Piracy dominates any other effect of these modifications.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Kintaco said:
Far from it, unless you want to use separate apps for everything (including loaders for import PS1/PS2 discs). And stuff like cross game chat, or a screenshot tool would be completely out of the question.

jsnepo

angelfly said:
Works fine for me using the geohot jailbreak. Seems other people are reporting it won't work with Kakaroto's firmware.

I thought signed homebrew will work even on a PS3 with OFW (if one can get it to install). If not what's the point of having it signed? I know nothing about this I'm sorry.

androvsky

Mr_Brit said:

Example:

Would you prefer to boot up a separate app each time you want to play an MKV movie or just use the XMB player?

Would you want to boot up an app every time you want to play a different region PS2/PS1/DVD/Blu-Ray or just use the XMB?

Don't worry, it'll be a while before even mplayer can handle 1080p h.264 mkvs on the PS3 (unless they use libraries from the leaked Sony SDK). I'd be surprised if someone's able to somehow include native mkv support in the native XMB playback software.

I thought signed homebrew will work even on a PS3 with OFW (if one can get it to install). If not what's the point of having it signed? I know nothing about this I'm sorry.

It's the "if one can get it to install" part that makes having CFW handy. Otherwise, someone would have to reverse engineer the PS Store and run it on a local PC.

angelfly

jsnepo said:
Has something to do with npdrm checks for installing packages. Once it's installed it should work fine if you reinstalled the Kakaroto firmware.

KtSlime

Marrshu said:
Anyone know how to get that message in the SNES emulator off the screen? It works perfectly otherwise. :D

Picture? I'm too lazy to walk over to my ps3 and install stuff just yet. *yawn* :lol

test_account

XP-39C²
angelfly said:
Has something to do with npdrm checks for installing packages. Once it's installed it should work fine if you reinstalled the Kakaroto firmware.
Would that mean that piracy could be limited? I mean, would it still be possible for people to make discs, sign the games and just play them in any unmodified PS3? Or do you still need to modify your firmware regardless? (might just be a question of time before someone manages to get around the NPDRM though).

Mr_Brit

Banned
androvsky said:
Don't worry, it'll be a while before even mplayer can handle 1080p h.264 mkvs on the PS3 (unless they use libraries from the leaked Sony SDK). I'd be surprised if someone's able to somehow include native mkv support in the native XMB playback software.
I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

PS3 can already sort of play MKVs. It has all the right video and audio codecs, it just lacks an MKV filter/splitter. To make MKVs work all you'd have to do is make a PS3 compatible filter/splitter which should be easy enough. All the hard work of decoding and displaying the video will be done using Sony's exisiting libraries so I wouldn't be surprised if it's included in a CFW soon.

Phatcorns

jsnepo said:

Yeah, I don't understand this either. If you can sign a program using the keys that they found, then why do you need custom firmware? I would think they would make an snes emulator that is just a simple eboot you put on the ps3 and then run it.

itxaka

Defeatist
test_account said:
The "effect" part is actually "side effects". They showed this chart in the 0verflow presentation and side effects was mentioned. Not sure why they didnt write "side effect" instead, it would only make the graph a bit wider.

That actually makes sense, because without the "side effects" the image totally changes the meaning.

So Kakaroto CFW doesn't work but geohot does? That means geohot actually modified something in his cfw as kakaroto's is only an xml modification, it doesn't do anything else.

jsnepo

angelfly said:

Oh. So the install part is really the problem. I hope they find a way to bypass these checks. Demos and patches can be installed through USB using Kakaroto's CFW. I wish the same with signed homebrew.

KtSlime

test_account said:
Would that mean that piracy could be limited? I mean, would it still be possible for people to make discs, sign the games and just play them in any unmodified PS3? Or do you still need to modify your firmware regardless? (might just be a question of time before someone manages to get around the NPDRM though).

Once again: the PS3 will not run games from burnt discs, the bluray format has a mark that is used to distinguish between burnt and pressed discs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluray#BD-ROM_Mark

angelfly

Phatcorns said:
Yeah, I don't understand this either. If you can sign a program using the keys that they found, then why do you need custom firmware? I would think they would make an snes emulator that is just a simple eboot you put on the ps3 and then run it.
Think of it this way:

The PS3 is a house
The house will only let signed programs play in the house
However the programs must first get inside the front door to enter the house
npdrm is the key to the door (to allow pkg installation)
If you put an unsigned program in the house it will only be able to play in jailbreak mode
Signed programs can play regardless of if you change houses (firmware) since once they're in they're in for good

Yeah my analogies are really bad :lol

With Kakaroto's firmware it looks for npdrm while the geohot patch simply doesn't look for it and lets you in the front door.

jsnepo

angelfly said:
Think of it this way:

The PS3 is a house
The house will only let signed programs play in the house
However the programs must first get inside the front door to enter the house
npdrm is the key to the door (to allow pkg installation)
If you put an unsigned program in the house it will only be able to play in jailbreak mode
Signed programs can play regardless of if you change houses (firmware) since once they're in they're in for good

Yeah my analogies are really bad :lol

With Kakaroto's firmware it looks for npdrm while the geohot patch simply doesn't look for it and lets you in the front door.

That's clearer but what I don't understand is why don't they include this npdrm key when signing homebrew? Is that something illegal to do or something they haven't found yet?

androvsky

Mr_Brit said:
I'm surprised it hasn't happened already.

PS3 can already sort of play MKVs. It has all the right video and audio codecs, it just lacks an MKV filter/splitter. To make MKVs work all you'd have to do is make a PS3 compatible filter/splitter which should be easy enough. All the hard work of decoding and displaying the video will be done using Sony's exisiting libraries so I wouldn't be surprised if it's included in a CFW soon.

Right, I was thinking native support as in using the current XMB player, despite what you originally posted. :) As for just having the XMB automatically start a different player for mkvs, yeah, I have no idea why that's not implemented yet. Maybe no one's found the right xml config file yet?

angelfly

jsnepo said:
That's clearer but what I don't understand is why don't they include this npdrm key when signing homebrew? Is that something illegal to do or something they haven't found yet?
yeah, nobody bothered breaking the drm since breaking it would mean being able to break the drm on any psn game so geohot worked around it.

jsnepo

angelfly said:
yeah, nobody bothered breaking the drm since breaking it would mean being able to break the drm on any psn game so geohot worked around it.

That makes sense. I'm now thinking of installing CFW only if I want to install signed homebrew. Once installed I'll go back to OFW.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If you've installed a CFW, how do you then install homebrew?

Sophia

cyberheater said:
Can that be a fat32 formatted USB stick?

Yes. That's what I used. It just has to be on the root of the stick. Also, I'd like to point out that as far as I can tell, the SNES Emulator has full compatibility.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Marrshu said:
Yes. That's what I used. It just has to be on the root of the stick. Also, I'd like to point out that as far as I can tell, the SNES Emulator has full compatibility.

Great, thanks. I might just give this a go...

cyberheater

Someones got Mednafen Multi-System Emulator working.

What are the odds of PS2 emulation ever running smoothly? I've been wanting to put my ps2 into storage for a while now but can't because I have a slim.

Top Bottom