• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

Dachande

InfiniteNine said:
I'm more interested in the region restrictions being lifted from those myself.

Yeah, exactly. I have a number of Japanese PS2 games I'd like to play again without having to connect my chipped PS2 up and deal with wired pads and my crap PS2 arcade stick.

Rhindle

CaLe said:
It would be nice to have a new thread, if only to have a centralized point of discussion where we can find out more about homebrew apps.

This thread is often derailed with talks regarding the legality of piracy, making reading it a real pain in the *** if you're just interested in homebrew.
There's not much to talk about at the moment. Some emulators, an FTP client, and a couple of rudimentary proof-of-concept games.

Sophia

I'm more interested in the potential of bringing back Linux. I went PC-less for like a month, and having an alternative would be nice.

CaLe

I'd love to create homebrew applications, but I have absolutely no idea how to get started.

I'm a programmer by profession and I'd certainly love to help out if a group of GAFffers are working on homebrew.

Dachande

CaLe said:
I'd love to create homebrew applications, but I have absolutely no idea how to get started.

I'm a programmer by profession and I'd certainly love to help out if a group of GAFffers are working on homebrew.

http://psl1ght.com/ is what Geohot used to make his Hello World application, so there's as good a place as any to begin.

Chesskid1

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
All I'm waiting for is the option to run my ps1 and ps2 games from the HDD and I'm happy.

well you are in luck because you can do that currently with the PSX emulator (just ps1 games to be specific). just gotta wait for it to be signed i suppose.

i installed geohot's jailbreak then installed a .pkg i got st8 from sony (a demo to be specific). i still have games from 3.41 jailbreak sittin on my internal hard drive taking space, so i dunno how to get rid of em atm since i can't access them but i'm not too worried :lol

hold up on making a new thread till we have at least a few applications workin for homebrew on 3.55, otherwise you are jumping the gun imo

CaLe

Dachande said:
http://psl1ght.com/ is what Geohot used to make his Hello World application, so there's as good a place as any to begin.

Thanks Dachande ! Much appreciated.

I'll probably buy a second PS3 just to develop on it.

Hopefully, down the line, I'll be able to accept application requests from gaffers.

Keep the links coming :)

angelfly

CaLe said:

It's actually quite easy. Theres a script that downloads and compiles the toolchain for cross-compiling. Then on top of that you can add the psl1ght sdk and some other libraries. I've been playing around with it for the last few days. Links can be found here. Also of the two toolchain scripts ps3chain compiled fine but didn't actually work correctly for me when it can to compiling elfs while ps3toolchain worked perfectly.

edit: damn, I'm too slow

KtSlime

Dachande said:
Talking about homebrew applications has always been allowed on GAF, there's threads for it for the Wii and PSP after all. Piracy talk is disallowed.

Thanks, but I'm not 100% sure I follow. Are these system calls that need to be added into the firmware by hackers, or existing ones that have been specifically taken out?

I'm not sure what you mean by "NPDRM" and "lvl2" in this context either. Isn't the NPDRM flag needed for homebrew applications to run on retail PS3s? And how does removing lvl 2 (which is the GameOS, right?) not break retail games from working as normal?

Really, I only fully understand the "system calls" part of your response here. :lol

Okay, I haven't really messed around with all these new developments but let's see if I can talk a bit about it without making too much an ass of myself. :lol

I believe NPDRM is the DRM for everything that gets installed on the harddisk, that means when you download a game from PSN it signs the game specifically for your machine. Whenever a PS3 loads something off of a harddisk it must be signed with your PS3s DRM for it to be executed, EXCEPT for firmware updates which all have their own DRM that is shared with all PS3s prior to install.

I think how geohotz has it set up no one has to mess with NPDRM because when you install homebrew it will sign it, the problem is removing the NPDRM off of files you purchased from PSN, once that is possible anyone will be able to pirate those games.

LV2 is how retail games access GameOS, LV2 has the APIs for loading games off of BluRay, so all retail games on BD use those APIs. To run a retail game made for BD either the game needs to be modified to resemble a PSN release, or LV2 needs to be modified to load from sources that it thinks are the BluRay but in fact are not.

Or something along those lines, but I'm not a professional so I could have it completely wrong. :lol

CaLe

angelfly said:
It's actually quite easy. Theres a script that downloads and compiles the toolchain for cross-compiling. Then on top of that you can add the psl1ght sdk and some other libraries. I've been playing around with it for the last few days. Links can be found here. Also of the two toolchain scripts ps3chain compiled fine but didn't actually work correctly for me when it can to compiling elfs while ps3toolchain worked perfectly.

edit: damn, I'm too slow

No worries, thanks for helping :)

I take it that everything has to be coded in any text editor in Linux ? i.e: No IDEs ?

Also, the language used is not object oriented.. ?

ivedoneyourmom said:
Or something along those lines, but I'm not a professional so I could have it completely wrong. :lol

Really good explanations ivedoneyourmom, I learned a few things.

yurinka

I'm interested in homebrew, specially in the emulators like FBA and enhaced video player (you know supporting all the stuff that can't be played right now in PS3).

It would be cool to see the homebrew back, I don't care about the piracy. So let's hope they can do it in a controlled way.

angelfly

ivedoneyourmom said:
Okay, I haven't really messed around with all these new developments but let's see if I can talk a bit about it without making too much an ass of myself. :lol

I believe NPDRM is the DRM for everything that gets installed on the harddisk, that means when you download a game from PSN it signs the game specifically for your machine. Whenever a PS3 loads something off of a harddisk it must be signed with your PS3s DRM for it to be executed, EXCEPT for firmware updates which all have their own DRM that is shared with all PS3s prior to install.

I think how geohotz has it set up no one has to mess with NPDRM because when you install homebrew it will sign it, the problem is removing the NPDRM off of files you purchased from PSN, once that is possible anyone will be able to pirate those games.

LV2 is how retail games access GameOS, LV2 has the APIs for loading games off of BluRay, so all retail games on BD use those APIs. To run a retail game made for BD either the game needs to be modified to resemble a PSN release, or LV2 needs to be modified to load from sources that it thinks are the BluRay but in fact are not.

You've got the idea.

Only npdrm selfs will run from the hdd.
lv2 (GameOS) is what needs to be modified to used system calls that are in debug consoles that allow emulating the bd drive on the hdd to load games

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Chesskid1 said:
well you are in luck because you can do that currently with the PSX emulator (just ps1 games to be specific). just gotta wait for it to be signed i suppose.

Do you mean the official Sony PS1 emulator in the PS3? Or a completely homebrew emulator?

And I wonder if the same will be possible for PS2-enabled PS3s?

angelfly

BocoDragon said:
Do you mean the official Sony PS1 emulator in the PS3? Or a completely homebrew emulator?

And I wonder if the same will be possible for PS2-enabled PS3s?
There's a homebrew PSX emulator PS3SX. Haven't tried it myself but I haven't hard anything bad about it.

BocoDragon

angelfly said:
There's a homebrew PSX emulator PS3SX. Haven't tried it myself but I haven't hard anything bad about it.
I'd prefer to use the official emulator... but PSX is easy enough to emulate that it doesn't really matter.

But PS2? I'd much rather there were a way to run games off the PS2 chips in my 60GB PS3 then deal with PSCX2 which will inevitably never run perfectly (at least on a PS3).

aeolist

Banned
Can't wait for someone to make a seriously comprehensive media center program available. Porting Boxee to PS3 homebrew would be amazing.

angelfly

aeolist said:
Can't wait for someone to make a seriously comprehensive media center program available. Porting Boxee to PS3 homebrew would be amazing.
I'd be contempt with a simple mplayer port (which already has a version for ppc with spu support) as it's the main thing I've used for the past 8 or 9 years.

KtSlime

BocoDragon said:
I'd prefer to use the official emulator... but PSX is easy enough to emulate that it doesn't really matter.

But PS2? I'd much rather there were a way to run games off the PS2 chips in my 60GB PS3 then deal with PSCX2 which will inevitably never run perfectly (at least on a PS3).

I imagine it won't take anything more than a few config file switches to open it up to all regions, I don't use psgroove, but have they figured out how the PS3 firmware determines what region discs it is allowed to load?

angelfly

ivedoneyourmom said:
I imagine it won't take anything more than a few config file switches to open it up to all regions, I don't use psgroove, but have they figured out how the PS3 firmware determines what region discs it is allowed to load?
Not that I know of. I know debug versions have the ability to switch regions so that functionality should be possible however that falls under lv2 modification.

androvsky

BocoDragon said:

Pretty sure at least one version of PS2 HDLoader has been working on BC PS3s even before the jailbreak happened, so you should be good there.

I'd be contempt with a simple mplayer port (which already has a version for ppc with spu support) as it's the main thing I've used for the past 8 or 9 years.

If it's the SPU support I remember from the linux days, it's just color-space conversion, mpeg-2 support, and maybe scaling. Unless they added SPU support for h.264, don't expect to play mkvs much over 480p.

angelfly

androvsky said:
If it's the SPU support I remember from the linux days, it's just color-space conversion, mpeg-2 support, and maybe scaling. Unless they added SPU support for h.264, don't expect to play mkvs much over 480p.
Yeah that's what I was talking about. I think it would work quite better as having access to RSX and the other half of the RAM would make a big difference.

Dambrosi

Banned
Hmm. Well, having read all about the latest developments in this thread (go Jets, whoever you are! :lol ), I downloaded the file, but I think I'll hold off for a few days to see what happens - y'know, whether Sony responds and in what way, or when any worthwhile homebrew like emulators come out, etc. Is that the wisest course of action?

Oh, and I have a JP 60gig, so bring on the region unlockers! :D

BocoDragon

androvsky said:
Pretty sure at least one version of PS2 HDLoader has been working on BC PS3s even before the jailbreak happened, so you should be good there.

Ah.. that's right. I imagine soon enough you will no longer need any USB dongle to get that same setup running?

BocoDragon

InfiniteNine said:
Nope, it's just like using a regular PS3 at the moment, but you can run geohot's sup dudes! app. :lol
Sweet.. I'm gonna rock "sup dudes!" all night! :lol

Truespeed

From the EULA.xml file in the 3.55 Jailbreak:

geohot jailbreak license agreement

cute.

Also from the UPL package

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<!-- i used to be ballin, but now i'm bill gatin-->

<UpdatePackageList>

<Header>
        <Version>03.5500</Version>
        <Build>47516,20101127</Build>
        <UplFormatVersion>1.00</UplFormatVersion>
        <Product>CEX-ww</Product>
        <Region>JAPAN</Region>
    </Header>

</UpdatePackageList>

itxaka

Defeatist
without peek and poke, there is no cwccheat for sure asn it needs those functions to change values on the fly.

Someone who knows more than me, feel free to correct me (please, I want cwccheat!)

Dambrosi

Banned
itxaka said:
without peek and poke, there is no cwccheat for sure asn it needs those functions to change values on the fly.

Someone who knows more than me, feel free to correct me (please, I want cwccheat!)
itxaka
Defeatist

I wouldn't worry, someone's bound to find a way somehow. Maybe it'll be a couple of weeks, but you've waited a whole four years now, so two more weeks won't hurt :lol

KtSlime

Dambrosi said:
itsuka
Defeatist

I wouldn't worry, someone's bound to find a way somehow. Maybe it'll be a couple of weeks, but you've waited a whole four years now, so two more weeks won't hurt :lol

Indeed, sometime. :lol

On second thought, 5 days...

Zoe

angelfly said:
It's not a CFW. It adds the "Install Packages" menu to the stock 3.55 firmware.

I still say that means it's CFW.

Once you install this, it would be risky to ever go back to OFW.

Sophia

LovingSteam said:
Wrong. Folks on the IRC chat confirmed its safe. Just reinstall 3.55.

That is fantastic news to know. So there's pretty much zero chance of a brick if you do it right and a really easy way to undo it.

Zoe

LovingSteam said:
Wrong. Folks on the IRC chat confirmed its safe. Just reinstall 3.55.

Wouldn't that still leave a trace of what Geohot put on there?

Wouldn't that mean that Sony would be able to see that you've installed this after you've installed the next OFW iteration?

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Zoe said:
Wouldn't that still leave a trace of what Geohot put on there?

Wouldn't that mean that Sony would be able to see that you've installed this after you've installed the next OFW iteration?

Doubt it.

Zoe

ivedoneyourmom said:
When you edit a config file in Windows does it make it a custom OS?

If you were using a hacked Windows installer to do it, I'd say it does.

You'd have to install another firmware version in order to get back on track.

Top Bottom