• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

KtSlime

InfiniteNine said:
Hrmmm... would it be possible to go back to official firmware with this version? I want to try this, but not right away if I that is how it works.

I'd be willing to try it too, but I don't think it is yet worth the effort, I don't think anyone has been signing any homebrew yet.

Sorry if I asked questions that had already come up repeatedly, but thank you all for that perspective. Very smart, informed, reasoned takes. GAF at its best.

I think, then, I overstated the impact this crack will have on Sony's bottom line. Is the general consensus that there will be piracy, but not so significant as to seriously impact SCE's business model? I imagine the sheer size of a lot of 1st party games would at least put something of a damper on people's eagerness to download games en masse.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
ruby_onix said:
GAF doesn't like to air it's own dirty laundry.

Near as I can figure, Dragona grew to feel over the years that GAF had become/was becoming a joke forum that wasn't capable of quality discussion. She wanted EviLore to make some major sweeping policy changes to fix the state of things, but EviLore was opposed to whatever it was that she suggested, and they got into fights about it behind the scenes. Eventually Dragona committed some sort of minor technical foul so EviLore revoked her mod status. Dragona decided that as a regular member, without the changes she wanted, GAF wasn't a forum worth visiting, so she left.

A lot of mods seem to leave after getting de-modded.

Edit:

Nope.

Never seen so many wrong things stated in a post :lol

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
ivedoneyourmom said:
I'd be willing to try it too, but I don't think it is yet worth the effort, I don't think anyone has been signing any homebrew yet.
I suppose so. I'll wait till some of the homebrew I wish to use is signed and it's pretty much flagged as a safe upgrade.

KtSlime

somuchwater said:
Sorry if I asked questions that had already come up repeatedly, but thank you all for that perspective. Very smart, informed, reasoned takes. GAF at its best.

I think, then, I overstated the impact this crack will have on Sony's bottom line. Is the general consensus that there will be piracy, but not so significant as to seriously impact SCE's business model? I imagine the sheer size of a lot of 1st party games would at least put something of a damper on people's eagerness to download games en masse.

Once again, sorry for being harsh this morning, low blood sugar and all. :lol

I think it is important to remember, that even when people do pirate things it is never an all or nothing situation. Just like you might buy a new copy of Uncharted 2, buy a used copy of NBA 2k9, and rent Transformers: The Official Video Game of the Movie, people will buy what they really have an interest in, and have some other avenue to experiencing the periphery. No one really pirates everything, and when they do, they shouldn't be considered a lost sale because they never had any intention on making the purchase in the first place.

I also don't think the PS3 will be this pirate utopia, Sony will have ways of combating it, like they always have, many will not even know you can pirate games, and some will not see it worth the effort. Sony also makes most of its money from selling developer licenses and dedicated development hardware, the 1st party software is a prop to keep people interested in the PS3 during downtimes of 3rd party software releases, and as points of interest for those people already with another platform.

By 'PSN works', does he mean it's usable and I won't be banned?

What would this hack, if he releases it tonight, be able to accomplish exactly? Back-ups, homebrew etc?

Go JETS

i really wonder if sony is doing something backstage to stop this, no psn maintenance or something like that, no ps3 game compatibility improvements only firmware update...
kinda weird.

I NEED SCISSORS said:
By 'PSN works', does he mean it's usable and I won't be banned?

What would this hack, if he releases it tonight, be able to accomplish exactly? Back-ups, homebrew etc?

Go JETS

Well he mentions jailbreak, so I would assume it would allow unsigned packages.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Welp here we go!

geohot said:
it's jailbreak time
open the zip, you know how to install
3.55 only
would be pirates, don't waste your time
do not mirror file, link to geohot.com
here is the package from the video
no donations accepted right now, don't get scammed

old homebrew will not work
new homebrew signing tools coming soon..

Dachande

lethial said:
Jailbroken 3.55 fw with NO piracy thingies. He's releasing tools to sign homebrew soon though....

Can someone explain exactly what he's left out that would have enabled piracy? That's one aspect about this I'm not clear on.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
I NEED SCISSORS said:
So in other words it's pointless.

If it can't backup my games then i'm not bothering yet. Piracy be damned.

I'm sure if you wait a few days someone will come along and change that.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Genesis Knight said:
So...new jailbreak for retail PS3s? As in, if I go buy a slim off the shelf this works?

You have to be on 3.55 fw for this to work and I'm not sure what new slims are shipped with. Right now there's no point. No homebrew will work yet, for those that care about backing up games, it doesn't work. Homebrew needs to be signed, geohot hasn't released the tools yet.

LovingSteam said:
So its not CFW just a JB, right?

Correct.

InfiniteNine said:
It should work on all currently available PS3s.

Nice. So that's it, basically, right? If you're only interested in homebrew, you can now launch all that from a USB drive.

EDIT: Oh, more waiting then. And if your new retail unit doesn't come with 3.55 can you not just update to it via normal challenges?

cacildo

Zeal said:

Hope so. I just bought two new old games (Just Cause 2 and Borderlands) and i really wish i could just fully install em into the HDD

I really dont enjoy the idea of a laser running full time while i play for three hours. It feels like its going to stop working at any time

In fact, that´s exactly what happened with my wii

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Genesis Knight said:
EDIT: Oh, more waiting then. And if your new retail unit doesn't come with 3.55 can you not just update to it via normal challenges?
Yeah, there shouldn't be a PS3 out right now that is actually up to 3.55 anyways.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
Genesis Knight said:
Nice. So that's it, basically, right? If you're only interested in homebrew, you can now launch all that from a USB drive.

Or downgrade to 3.41 and use current homebrew stuff.

KtSlime

Dachande said:
Can someone explain exactly what he's left out that would have enabled piracy? That's one aspect about this I'm not clear on.

npdrm, lvl2, system calls needed by isoloaders are not implemented so games can't pretend that they are being loaded from bd when they really are coming from the hd, etc.

Edit: InfiniteNine, you just confused the hell out of me, do you mean PS3 games that require 3.55?
Edit:Edit: Oh, do you mean systems released with 3.55 as the default firmware.

Mana Sin

So can you use the linked file even if you have 3.55 or must you be on a lower firmware in order to go up to the altered 3.55?

Does it only allow for future package installation? Is anything removed from the standard FW experience?

angelfly

Mana Sin said:
So can you use the linked file even if you have 3.55 or must you be on a lower firmware in order to go up to the altered 3.55?

Does it only allow for future package installation? Is anything removed from the standard FW experience?
Install 3.55 first and then run the update from geohot.

CaLe

What does that CFW actually do.. ? It will allow us to install homebrew in the future if something is released ?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
CaLe said:
What does that CFW actually do.. ? It will allow us to install homebrew in the future if something is released ?
Pretty much. There should be some releases soon since the signing app is coming.

angelfly

CaLe said:
It's not a CFW. It adds the "Install Packages" menu to the stock 3.55 firmware.

CaLe

InfiniteNine said:
Pretty much. There should be some releases soon since the signing app is coming.

So soon... ? Have any homebrew applications been developed in the short period of time since fail0verflow found the keys.. ?

angelfly said:
It's not a CFW. It adds the "Install Packages" menu to the stock 3.55 firmware.

Thanks Angelfly, my bad. :)

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
CaLe said:
So soon... ? Have any homebrew applications been developed in the short period of time since fail0verflow found the keys.. ?

Thanks Angelfly, my bad. :)
Homebrew has been made since it was jailbroken originally. When those applications are signed you'll be able to run it with this.

Sophia

CaLe said:

Pretty much runs Geohot's homebrew app right now if I understand it correctly. :lol

I'm waiting for actual homebrew apps to come out. I don't want to install this and have something go wrong, even though it's on my iPod incase someone yells that it's safe.

CaLe

InfiniteNine said:
Homebrew has been made since it was jailbroken originally. When those are signed you'll be able to run it with this.

Thanks Infinite, much appreciated.

I take it we're not allowed to talk about the homebrew applications in this thread... ? I never paid attention to the PS3's homebrew scene since I wasn't willing to jailbreak it.

If talking about said applications is allowed, which ones are you guys looking forward to ?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Talking about homebrew is fine. I'm looking forward to running FinalBurn Alpha and playing a good number of arcade STGs with my stick. It simply doesn't work with my computer due to hardware incompatibility so it'll be a nice change of pace from a dpad.

KtSlime

CaLe said:
Thanks Infinite, much appreciated.

I take it we're not allowed to talk about the homebrew applications in this thread... ? I never paid attention to the PS3's homebrew scene since I wasn't willing to jailbreak it.

If talking about said applications is allowed, which ones are you guys looking forward to ?

I don't think we're not allowed to talk about them, however most of the past discussion of the existing homebrew applications is in the psgroove thread. I am sure there will be another thread made soon now that this exists so we can talk about signed homebrew.

I too don't know much about the homebrew scene on ps3, up until a few weeks ago I was limited to Internet access through my phone and had been for quite a while, so I never bothered to keep up to date.

Should we make a new thread, or stick it out here for a bit longer?

Genesis Knight said:
What was he talking about with the 'do not update L2 or you will brick your console'?

To my understanding L2 is normally patched in memory using psgroove or another current jailbreak system to be able to run isoloaders. Not enough work has been done to properly understand how to modify it so as to run isoloaders on firmwares older than 3.41.

Geohot et al. probably do understand it better than most but have no interest in creating a method to patch it because it is pretty much only used to spoof the system into thinking it is reading a game off of a bluray when it is actually coming from a harddrive.

Dachande

Talking about homebrew applications has always been allowed on GAF, there's threads for it for the Wii and PSP after all. Piracy talk is disallowed.

npdrm, lvl2, system calls needed by isoloaders are not implemented so games can't pretend that they are being loaded from bd when they really are coming from the hd, etc.

Thanks, but I'm not 100% sure I follow. Are these system calls that need to be added into the firmware by hackers, or existing ones that have been specifically taken out?

I'm not sure what you mean by "NPDRM" and "lvl2" in this context either. Isn't the NPDRM flag needed for homebrew applications to run on retail PS3s? And how does removing lvl 2 (which is the GameOS, right?) not break retail games from working as normal?

Really, I only fully understand the "system calls" part of your response here. :lol

CaLe

ivedoneyourmom said:
Should we make a new thread, or stick it out here for a bit longer?

It would be nice to have a new thread, if only to have a centralized point of discussion where we can find out more about homebrew apps.

This thread is often derailed with talks regarding the legality of piracy, making reading it a real pain in the *** if you're just interested in homebrew.

Top Bottom