• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fail0verflow - PS3 Private Key + PSP Key + PS3's Blu-Ray Key found, FW 3.50 decrypted

Marrshu said:
If you had taken five seconds to check the "license agreement", you'd find that the answer is "No."

That is good, so anyone who updateds with this can not play pirated games.

Gehots hacks are popular and it is nice of him to leave that out of the hack.

Sophia

Not like it's going to stop anyone down the line eventually. But it does set a good example of the difference between someone who's genuinely interested in hacking the software and a pirate.

(Although, I kinda can't wait for HD loaders. Being able to run Uncharted 2 without the disc and the long loading time would make multiplayer matches more fun.)

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Shambles said:
I can't wait to de-ugly my XMB to back what it was pre 2.40 or whatever update that was.
Bring back the Spiderman font and the Chime!! :D

Shambles

Or maybe edit some game files so that you boot straight to the first menu you actually want to see instead of wading through a bunch of intro screens every time. It's not a huge deal but it really improves the user experiences when all the BS is cut and all you deal with is a streamlined system.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mana Sin said:
Goodness, that beeping had me scared for a couple of seconds. I thought something went wrong.
I did too. :lol I was like "Oh shit it bricked it bricked it bricked." The Tales of Graces F demo patch not being signed makes me a sad panda.

Mush

Yeah... this is going to be a completely random question, but has anyone found a way to make PS3 replay files from games like GT5, etc readable on a PC?

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mush said:
Yeah... this is going to be a completely random question, but has anyone found a way to make PS3 replay files from games like GT5, etc readable on a PC?
Aren't replay files just instructions for the content to be rendered in real time with the game's engine?

KtSlime

Mush said:

Unfortunately someone would have to go to a great extent making an engine to read those files, and it is unlikely, you're better off making an extension for the PS3 to record video or simply using a DVR of sorts to record it.

Dambrosi

Banned
...Just so I know, I don't need to use a USB stick, do I? I can use a Memory Stick Pro Duo if I want? Has anyone tested this with older models?

(I'm on an OG JP 60gig, and have successfully updated from MS Pro Duo before)

KtSlime

Dambrosi said:
...Just so I know, I don't need to use a USB stick, do I? I can use a Memory Stick Pro Duo if I want? Has anyone tested this with older models?

I'm an OG US 60gig, and was wondering a similar thing, I have updated from a portable HD. I have a secret, I've never owned one of these USB sticks everyone has, never ever, and I've used computers for a very long time. :lol

If you have succeeded before with a MS Pro Duo, I don't see why it wouldn't work now. I'd try now but I'm lazy and it doesn't seem worth the effort to see a green drop.

onken

ivedoneyourmom said:
Unfortunately someone would have to go to a great extent making an engine to read those files, and it is unlikely, you're better off making an extension for the PS3 to record video or simply using a DVR of sorts to record it.

Considering that what you're suggesting is basically porting GT5 to the PC, "unlikely" is one way of putting it :lol

Sophia

Dambrosi said:

I'd imagine it'd work. I used an iPod classic. :lol

angelfly

Jal said:
I thought jailbreaking was legal now, so what's the issue with it leaving a trace?
It's legal in the US but it's also legal for Sony to cut you off from PSN if they find you've jailbroken your PS3 which most people are afraid of.

Jal

angelfly said:
It's legal in the US but it's also legal for Sony to cut you off from PSN if they find you've jailbroken your PS3 which most people are afraid of.

Fair enough.

jcm

angelfly said:

That's not necessarily true. There is a jailbreaking exception to the DMCA in the US, but it is only for phones. Here's the actual text:

Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.

This doesn't mean jailbreaking consoles is necessarily illegal, but the DMCA exception was written very narrowly, so it's still very much a grey area. I suppose we'll get a definitive answer if Sony starts suing programmers.

Edit: I think I wasn't clear. I was talking about the legality of jailbreaking, not PSN bans. They can absolutely cut you off from their service for any reason or none at all.

Zapages

someone needs to make a better web browser that supports windows media player files, quicktime, better flash support and bunch of other formats.

Mr_Brit

Banned
jcm said:
That's not necessarily true. There is a jailbreaking exception to the DMCA in the US, but it is only for phones. Here's the actual text:

Computer programs that enable wireless telephone handsets to execute software applications, where circumvention is accomplished for the sole purpose of enabling interoperability of such applications, when they have been lawfully obtained, with computer programs on the telephone handset.

This doesn't mean jailbreaking consoles is necessarily illegal, but the DMCA exception was written very narrowly, so it's still very much a grey area. I suppose we'll get a definitive answer if Sony starts suing programmers.
Sony can ban your console from PSN for any reason they wish and they don't have any obligation to tell you why they did it.

Massa

jcm said:

Edit: I think I wasn't clear. I was talking about the legality of jailbreaking, not PSN bans. They can absolutely cut you off from their service for any reason or none at all.

IANAL, but the DMCA takes away people's freedom to modify a device to circumvent copy protection. With the PS3 keys being public you don't even need to modify your PS3, it's just a matter of installing applications from a USB key.

It might violate Sony's EULA (which I haven't read, but likely states you're only able to use GameOS to run software licensed by Sony).

jcm

Massa said:
IANAL, but the DMCA takes away people's freedom to modify a device to circumvent copy protection. With the PS3 keys being public you don't even need to modify your PS3, it's just a matter of installing applications from a USB key.

It might violate Sony's EULA (which I haven't read, but likely states you're only able to use GameOS to run software licensed by Sony).

Thus the grey-ness. I just wanted to point out that the jailbreaking exception from the Copyright office was narrowly tailored to phones only. Whether the current stuff violates the DMCA is impossible to say until a judge rules on it.

ivedoneyourmom said:
Something webkit based hopefully, what the hell is Sony smoking thinking they can leave us with Netfront's crap. :lol

You would think with their partnership with Google that would make a new browser by now.

And what exactly would it take to get rid of the ps2 region checks in this firmware? From what I understand, this 3.55 from geohot gets rid of all signing checks? That sounds much harder.

tino

Banned
This geohotz fellow... I wonder what else will he hack after iPhone and PS3. These are two of the most popular and protected consumer products. 360 is not hacked is it?

Brashnir

tino said:
This geohotz fellow... I wonder what else will he hack after iPhone and PS3. These are two of the most popular and protected consumer products. 360 is not hacked is it?

360 isn't hacked to quite the same level, but it's been hacked to a certain extent (which allows the use of pirated software) since a couple months (weeks?) after it came out.

Microsoft has been able to find and ban most hacked consoled from Xbox live, though - which is a pretty big deterrent.

Haunted

tino said:
tabl3.jpg.jpg

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Wonder how long it will take for someone to make a patch to make PS1 and PS2 games Region Free. Love the fact that with a Preloader on the Wii you can remove the region lock.

thuway

For those of us that are stupid:

How long do we wait for backup features in fw 3.55?
Is this one step closer to MKV support?

Rur0ni

thuway said:
For those of us that are stupid:

How long do we wait for backup features in fw 3.55?
Is this one step closer to MKV support?
Currently someone is testing the 3.41 peek/poke mod (which would allow backup managers). And he's modding 3.55 currently. Still no word on the test. Hoping for no brickage. :)

And yes, with geohots release it's close. Really now all someone has to do is port mplayer and sign it (with the tools just released).

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Rur0ni said:
Currently someone is testing the 3.41 peek/poke mod (which would allow backup managers). And he's modding 3.55 currently. Still no word on the test. Hoping for no brickage. :)

And yes, with geohots release it's close. Really now all someone has to do is port mplayer and sign it (with the tools just released).

geohot says he did not include NPDRM keys in his make self. Someone else may have to reverse engineer the NPDRM keys.

Also, will Kakaroto's CFW run homebrew signed with geohot's keys? If not, is it because of something missing in Kaka's cfw or something specific with geohot's cfw and signing tools that the two only work together?

Rur0ni

Fatghost said:
geohot says he did not include NPDRM keys in his make self. Someone else may have to reverse engineer the NPDRM keys.

Also, will Kakaroto's CFW run homebrew signed with geohot's keys? If not, is it because of something missing in Kaka's cfw or something specific with geohot's cfw and signing tools that the two only work together?
On this I'm not 100% sure. Because geohot has basically beat around the bush on this npdrm stuff, you need cfw(mfw) rather than ofw to run homebrew.

Someone else may do it though considering geohot did it in like a day.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Rur0ni said:
On this I'm not 100% sure. Because geohot has basically beat around the bush on this npdrm stuff, you need cfw(mfw) rather than ofw to run homebrew.

Someone else may do it though considering geohot did it in like a day.

Well you need cfw to install the stuff on a retail PS3.

The question being debated now at psx-scene is whether or not you need geo's cfw ONLY, or if any MFW/CFW that can install these packages would work.

thuway

Rur0ni said:

link to test
?

Top Bottom