• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fargo - Season 3 - Brothers, Bridge, and Backstabbing in 2010 Minnesota - Wed on FX

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
this is by far the most enjoyable episode this season so far

MTE.

That was easily the best episode of the season, and the first that I thought was great all the way through.

The entire first 15 or so minutes were as tense as anything in the previous seasons.

EDIT: Not quite sure how to feel about the bowling alley stuff though. It was pretty wild.

TJ Bennett

TJ Hooker
I'm surprised none of these reviews called out the obvious homage to The Assassination of Jesse James at the beginning of tonight's episode. I loved it.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
lol at DJ Qualls getting killed off after five minutes of screen time. I can't stand that guy.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Now this is the Fargo I've been waiting to see. Excellent episode. Loved all of Nikki's getaway.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I wonder what the fuck happened to Yuri. Did his past victims get 'em? That cut to Helga was super creepy.

Bakkus

Step up from the many miserable episodes this season, but they still just couldn't help making contrived scenarios this time either. how did Nikki and Numbers manage to move their ass and not gettting spotted when Varga's men was put in the shot and made their way down into the woods? Also, why didn't they go and see if Yuri was dead and pick up the axe again? While season one and two had some contrived moments, this season has had probably 20+

Fury451

Banned
Great episode, still had about 10 minutes left before I had to leave and finish later

What's the over/under on Ray Wise being
Ehrmentraut
?

Or maybe he's just a surreal supernaturalish character.

This season is just so interesting to me. Can't wait to rewatch it all once th pieces are there.

iddqd

He's insufferable

Same for me, I roll my eyes now every time he gets going.
Really weird how the same ingredients of the FARGO stew are not working for me this season.
Hope there is a good in depth interview about it with Hawley one day.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Really can't stand that chinese dude. He's just so random and ridiculous.
Same as Varga's monologues.

I actually like him. He feels a little more real to me than Yuri, since he's just invading personal space to create​ menace, taking advantage of these people's need to appear nice. Yuri is just way too much.

shoelacer

Banned
Same for me, I roll my eyes now every time he gets going.
Really weird how the same ingredients of the FARGO stew are not working for me this season.
Hope there is a good in depth interview about it with Hawley one day.

Agreed completely. All the pieces are there, but they just don't fit for some reason. This episode was much much better than the rest of the season to me though.

TB14

Watching now. 6 minutes in... This is gonna be good.

First the couple, now the hunters. Some unlucky people in this episode.

Just got around to this episode. Best ep f the season BY FAR. And it's not just the weird stuff, at least not entirely. I feel like the whole season has been leading up to this one. The episode before it was getting interesting as well, but ep 8, REALLY something special! I'm happy with season 3 now lol

Meh, I guess I am in the minority at how completely ludicrous all of this is becoming. Sure, there have been moments in previous seasons but they were sly winks on the side and you could sorta hand wave it away (invincible Malvo, UFOs) but a literal bowling alley purgatory with more speeches than a Sunday gospel sermon. Its just crazy thing happening after another with very little glue to tie anything together in a coherent fashion.

orava

Fargo is in the Twin Peaks universe. Ray Wise's character is a spirit that has taken Leland's appereance. Obviously.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Damn, this episode was amazing. The forest chase was so well done that I wouldn't have minded if it went on longer. Really felt like the first truly great episode of the season.

Fargo is in the Twin Peaks universe. Ray Wise's character is a spirit that has taken Leland's appereance. Obviously.

That entire sequence felt like it came straight out of a Lynch movie, loved it.

JS3DX

I don't like this season at all: As other have said, the ingredients are there, but they are not sticking together. It's like trying to make Fargo, but without the original crew of the last two seasons.

I feel they're forcing storylines just for the sake of it being Fargo-like: We have two meddling cops from different cities like S1... but they have ZERO merit of knowing as much as they know and almost none of the interest in it. An ex-police chief? That went nowhere. Her foster parent was killed? They treated hm like he was another John Doe. We have a family feud like S2, with two brothers fighting over money as the main plot... but contrary to last time, they are almost oblivious of what's going on. They are not even mean with each other! They just ride the "wave" of events arround them, rather than being integral part of it. We have two henchmen... and that was all about them. And finally, we have Varga... Who's Varga? Fuck off, professor Lupin.

At best, the whole season could be summed in three episodes: The pilot, Varga's doings and the death of the brother, and the attack of the prison bus. That's it. With those three episodes we are at a Fargo pace, when the police can actually take interest in this, we could be shocked by the killing of the brother so soon, and also be thrilled by the mute henchmen of S1. From there the "wolf henchmen" storyline could start as a paralell to the mute assasins of past seasons: Deadly shadows who meet tragic endings near the end. That's Fargo! Normal people riding a wave of weirness caused partly by them and being caught by the weirdness of the Fargo bubble!

I DON'T LIKE THIS SEASON.

Arkeband

Banned
Yeah I dunno, that last episode was sufficiently weird, violent, and funny enough to be representative of what I look for in Fargo. The whole thing with limbo (especially Yuri's) was meta as fuck.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't like this season at all: As other have said, the ingredients are there, but they are not sticking together. It's like trying to make Fargo, but without the original crew of the last two seasons.

I feel they're forcing storylines just for the sake of it being Fargo-like: We have two meddling cops from different cities like S1... but they have ZERO merit of knowing as much as they know and almost none of the interest in it. An ex-police chief? That went nowhere. Her foster parent was killed? They treated hm like he was another John Doe. We have a family feud like S2, with two brothers fighting over money as the main plot... but contrary to last time, they are almost oblivious of what's going on. They are not even mean with each other! They just ride the "wave" of events arround them, rather than being integral part of it. We have two henchmen... and that was all about them. And finally, we have Varga... Who's Varga? Fuck off, professor Lupin.

At best, the whole season could be summed in three episodes: The pilot, Varga's doings and the death of the brother, and the attack of the prison bus. That's it. With those three episodes we are at a Fargo pace, when the police can actually take interest in this, we could be shocked by the killing of the brother so soon, and also be thrilled by the mute henchmen of S1. From there the "wolf henchmen" storyline could start as a paralell to the mute assasins of past seasons: Deadly shadows who meet tragic endings near the end. That's Fargo! Normal people riding a wave of weirness caused partly by them and being caught by the weirdness of the Fargo bubble!

I DON'T LIKE THIS SEASON.
I don't disagree, but I'm still enjoying the season overall. It's easily my least favorite of the 3. I'm not excited to watch each weeks' episode anymore. I don't have that feeling of tension and being lost and dying to know what happens next like previous seasons.

It's just a watchable, interesting show. I can't call it bad, and I'm not running around recommending it to anyone. It's just somewhere in the middle this time.

Top Bottom