• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

fatlus comics

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
I did play Halo so I could whine about it on the internet!

KevinCow

Banned
I laughed at the McDonalds one and the Snowboard Kids one.

EmCeeGramr said:
fatlas shrugged

Also at this.

The rest, not so much.

I mean I find the typical obscure JRPG fan as strange and creepy as the next guy, but these aren't funny or clever at all. They're just regurgitating stereotypes with poor drawings.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
d[-_-]b said:
OH I GET IT, F-ATLUS?!?
what do I win?
Yeah, this is one of those examples of a type of humor I've been seeing more and more on the net (not to say it doesn't exist elsewhere). I don't really know how to describe it but it's basically a set-up for laughs because you find it funny or laughs because you don't want people to think this applies to you. Anything else and people get all hububby at you about it. It's like pointing at a turtle and calling it a donkey and when the turtle looks at you confused everyone else starts laughing and going "Yeah, you donkey." It's not as offensive as it is confusing.
But I'm possibly just thinking too much.

RevenantKioku said:
Yeah, this is one of those examples of a type of humor I've been seeing more and more on the net (not to say it doesn't exist elsewhere). I don't really know how to describe it but it's basically a set-up for laughs because you find it funny or laughs because you don't want people to think this applies to you. Anything else and people get all hububby at you about it. It's like pointing at a turtle and calling it a donkey and when the turtle looks at you confused everyone else starts laughing and going "Yeah, you donkey." It's not as offensive as it is confusing.

ha ha ha you're a fatlus (fat atlus)

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Flying_Phoenix said:
I see because me stating that a comic strip that is supposedly based around a company that makes dark themed RPG's and called the game's "rainbow colored" and using games from other companys is such nerdy outcry.

Next thing you know they'll make a comic about Nintendo about a kid complaining about a game not having blood and gore as well as him playing the latest version of Sonic.
Do you like fish sticks?

Mamesj

Banned
RevenantKioku said:

yeah, possibly.

:lol

distantmantra said:
The nitpicky (but it's Nippon Ichi! Not Atlus!) nature of your post fits the theme of these strips perfectly.

So being completely inaccurate is "nitpicking"?

distantmantra said:
And really, if you can't make fun of yourself, you're not enjoying life.

See I only laugh at things that are humorous and have structure and wit. Not middle school paint drawings that just have a fat kid being obsessed with his videogame.

They're painful. I look back on the days when I was somewhat obsessed with Japanese media and it makes me glad I grew out of that phase.

Mamesj

Banned
RadioHeadAche said:
They're painful. I look back on the days when I was somewhat obsessed with Japanese media and it makes me glad I grew out of that phase.

I guess if you're obsessed like the guy in the comics, yeah it's a problem.

Inquisitive obsession is fine...I think everyone needs some kind of obsession going at any given time in their life. There's nothing inherently wrong with being interested in another country's cultural/artistic output.

The jokes here center around the ignorance and stupidity of the characters (and brashness of the style), not because they like anime or japanese stuff.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FatalT said:
Way to out yourselves. Anonymous you ain't.

You dont need to go to /v/ to know where comics that have the made the rounds on pretty much every gaming forum are from.

Way to be an idiot

Generally all of the Atlus fans I know are genuine fans of gaming with eclectic tastes. Which, along with the fact that Atlus is still little known, makes the spoofing in these comics a little premature to say the least. Don't kick the underdog, I always say.

Also, is it wrong that I sort of sympathize with the guy behind the Madden dude? There's more to gaming than Madden, people.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Shockgamer said:
I laughed at the EDF and Snowboard Kids comics.

So how long before the escalation starts and we start seeing comics making fun of Western RPG players LARPing and vegetating in front of MMOs?

There is a bunch of those already and not even from 4chan

Mamesj

Banned
cartman414 said:
Generally all of the Atlus fans I know are genuine fans of gaming with eclectic tastes. Which, along with the fact that Atlus is still little known, makes the spoofing in these comics a little premature to say the least. Don't kick the underdog, I always say.

Also, is it wrong that I sort of sympathize with the guy behind the Madden dude? There's more to gaming than Madden, people.

and there's more to gaming than Guilty Gear XX# Reload Accent Core Plus: The Midnight Carnival

lethial

Reeeeeeee
cartman414 said:

So what other football game do you recommend?

the snowboard kids comic is my favorite :lol

what I wouldn't do for a new snowboard kids on wiiware, with the motherfucking lift of course
lethial said:
So what other football game do you recommend?
winning eleven/PES

Mamesj said:
and there's more to gaming than Guilty Gear XX# Reload Accent Core Plus: The Midnight Carnival

Did you even read my entire post?

Anyways, what I was trying to get at was that there's more to gaming than the big hype/franchise stuff.

Flying_Phoenix said:
So being completely inaccurate is "nitpicking"?

See I only laugh at things that are humorous and have structure and wit. Not middle school paint drawings that just have a fat kid being obsessed with his videogame.

i found a picture

it's of u~

s5flns.jpg

Darkpen

Banned

:/

Some of them were funny, but I've seen better. I don't go to /v/, but its too juvenile for my tastes. I would've probably laughed when I was 13 or something.

Mamesj

Banned
cartman414 said:
Did you even read my entire post?

Anyways, what I was trying to get at was that there's more to gaming than the big hype/franchise stuff.

PataHikari said:
Congratulations, you proved absolutely nothing and made yourself look like an idiot.

I guess I don't understand the point because it is too deep for me to understand?

how is guilty gear not "franchise stuff"? they milk the shit out of it. that's the joke in the comic and why it's kinda hilarious that you sympathize with the GG buyer. madden and guilty gear have similar business plans behind them. yet the kid is knocking the guy for getting suckered into buying madden. it really doesn't matter how big or small a company is, EA and ASW/Sega/whoever the hell owns GG now are treating their customers equally like idiots by releasing incremental upgrades (and downgrades like GG Isuka) every year.

and btw, Atlus is anything but "little known." They're huge in Japan and have a rabid fanbase in the U.S. that buys anything they put out because it might be rare and comes with plastic pendants. Many companies would kill to have that kind of following. If it weren't for square-enix, they'd have the RPG market cornered like EA has the sports market cornered.

neight

Banned
Hahaha! It's funny because it's true. :lol
Flying_Phoenix said:
Exactly my thoughts. The games they describe aren't even like Atlus (rainbow colors? WTF?) some aren't even by Atlus (Disgaea 3?). Oh and there's the part of them not being the least bit funny.
:lol

Mamesj said:
and btw, Atlus is anything but "little known." They're huge in Japan and have a rabid fanbase in the U.S. that buys anything they put out because it might be rare and comes with plastic pendants. Many companies would kill to have that kind of following. If it weren't for square-enix, they'd have the RPG market cornered like EA has the sports market cornered.
Last year's Atlus best selling game - Persona 4 - didn't even make the top 10 for one month, I think. IIRC it wasn't even in the PS2 top ten, though I'm not that versed with the sales numbers.

Either way, so much for a) dominating the RPG market when many games - Fallout 3, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fable 2 and maybe even Too Human - have outsold their best selling title and b) monopolizing the genre along with S-E.

There were quite a few jRPGs last gen that weren't from either Atlus or SE too. Breath of Fire V and Mega Man X: Command Mission, 2 Disgaeas and some other related games, 3 Xenosagas, 2 Ar Tonelicos, 2 Yakuzas (somewhat RPGs), 3 Shadow Hearts, 20355849 Tales of. There's plenty more, I'm sure, and then there are many games that aren't even localized.

Let's troll Atlus and all, but let's not be retarded about it.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I chuckle, although I do think the Madden guy is portrayed too favorably.

(Then again, we DO have all the Mario Party games over here, so who am I to talk...)

DeBurgo

i am fat and like a few atlus games

there are no MS paint webcomics you can post to make me feel shame for being this way!

Tellaerin

Hey, maybe I ought to post some shitty Paint comics about hardcore fans of Western games. The main character could be some fat neckbearded slob in a dirty undershirt, and the comics would focus on his obsession with FPS's, space marines, Tom Clancy, and the color brown. Hell, I could even come up with a 'witty' play on some Western developer's name, like id, and call them 'id-iot comics'. 'It's funny because it's true!', right?

Tellaerin said:
Hey, maybe I ought to post some shitty Paint comics about hardcore fans of Western games. The main character could be some fat neckbearded slob in a dirty undershirt, and the comics would focus on his obsession with FPS's, space marines, Tom Clancy, and the color brown. Hell, I could even come up with a 'witty' play on some Western developer's name, like id, and call them 'id-iot comics'. 'It's funny because it's true!', right?

You mad?

Tellaerin said:
That sounds like an awesome idea! Except make the Western dude a 13 year old racist teenager with power fantasies! DO EEET!

EmCeeGramr said:
i found a picture

it's of u~

s5flns.jpg

So apparently I'm White. 20 Years Old. Named Nate. Has Short hair. Buys VHS tapes. And is obsessed with Dragonball Z...Jesus you're so wrong.

I'm sorry but the fact that you and others are accusing me of being some "super geek" because for some reason you think I don't like the strips because they "make fun" of Atlus and hurt my feelings since I'm "too into games", when in reality I don't like the strips because they are poorly written and drawn with minimal effort put into them as well as being inaccurate toward what they make fun of (when you make fun of a company it's best to at least use well the company in the comic). But no ignore my comments, nevermind all my comments about this fell into my latter example of me, never mind that I didn't even so much as once didn't say something like "that's not true Atlus and JRPG's aren't like that", no I'm a white supergeek named Nate who is obsessed with DragonballZ that is 20 years old because I stated my opinions on the issue that don't mesh with yours, truly brilliant.

I bow down toward your incredible logic.

Now usually I'd just chuckle at this then close this window and go on about that day. But since apparently I'm not who I thought I am I guess I'm going to cry myself to sleep now on my bed made of Dragonball Z tapes next to my shrine of Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne framed and candle lit and all. I must also practice "the force" since my registered religion is Jedi.

Top Bottom