• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 5 years later... Do you still think you can ride this Chocobo!

I thought I was absolutely going to despise Noel, the punk kid vibes I got from the pre-release media just had me concerned but he ended up being a very grounded and un-obnoxious character.

kromeo

I thought I was absolutely going to despise Noel, the punk kid vibes I got from the pre-release media just had me concerned but he ended up being a very grounded and un-obnoxious character.

His personality and voice are actually fine, you expect him to be an ass based on his clothes and hair

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It's a great game.

LR on the other hand felt like an experimental game using Versus's old engine.

While I have my problems with the XIII trilogy, XIII-2 addressed most of those complaints. Personally, I think it's the best game of the three.

Exentryk

Yeah, it's my favourite of the trilogy. The story and everything else was absolutely crap, but the gameplay was loads of fun. Spent hundreds of hours collecting and infusing monsters for an optimized party that could beat the toughest enemies within a minute. Of course, you don't have to delve this far in to the system, but the combat system does have this depth. Most casuals won't get to know it though.

I LOVE this game. By far my favorite in the trilogy. The soundtrack is just so damn perfect. I think it might be the best final fantasy OST from top to bottom.
The time travel was really well done and I really got into the story with Caius and Yeul.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Good game that had no reason to be an FFXIII sequel.

K.Sabot

I like this game.

My favorite FF game since FF9.

The characters are likable, the combat was vastly improved and the monster capture system was addictive. The music is 10/10 and the places you got to go were very interesting. Noel and Caius are very great additions, and adult Hope is bae.

this or FFXV?

I guess this is how people want the thread to go.

FFXV. Better cast of characters. Better villian. Better story. Better music. And I am more partial to action JRPGs than a hybrid real-time/turn-based combat system.

This isn't to bash XIII-2. I thought it was fine. I just like FFXV more.

Liked it a lot more than XIII.

Can we talk about the opening segment with Lightning? Despite not continuing strong, it really is a great opening to the game. The atmosphere, the music, the battles (even though parts are QTE)... Was really impressed with it.

CLBridges

I really enjoyed this game when I played years ago. Great OST, I liked the battle system and monster taming, coliseum battles and just the ability to revisit old areas which 13 didn't have. Oh and none of that party leader dies, game over bullshit.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
Biggest disappointment for me was the story. XIII ended with
a mega city of 10 million decadent people getting cut off from their only source of food, water, and energy, and getting dumped into the middle of a sagave wasteland. So savage that Fang & Vanille's (far more rugged) civilization went extinct.

Was that not a fertile enough backstory to base a sequel on? Instead we got a nonsensical story about time travel and alternate universes.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
This is wrong. Just... wrong!

your opinion is also wrong!

lets get real, people have different opinions and no need to declare which opinion is superior

kromeo

your opinion is also wrong!

lets get real, people have different opinions and no need to declare which opinion is superior

Let's be real, your opinion on XII is factually incorrect, and frankly slightly distasteful

:p

There was an area in this game that was like constant encounters every 2 seconds

Think it was academia 400 or something

What a dumpster fire

ULTROS!

Let's be real, your opinion on XII is factually incorrect, and frankly slightly distasteful

:p

i hate xii

and i'm guessing the rest of japan too lol

DMiz

I honestly really enjoyed this game, despite the fact that it's tied, lore-wise, to what I consider one of the first Final Fantasies (even worse than II!). I've also never been happy with what they tried to do with these characters in the last game - Noel is robbed of great development and shoe-horned into a terrible role - and the ending is not what you necessarily hope for after the work you put into the majority of the game.

It has its moments, though, and definitely shines at some points. I honestly think it could have done better if it was spun into its own title as opposed to being a part of the XIII trilogy - but now, we'll never know.

ULTROS!

This guy gets it.

Japan likes gatcha mobile games so they don't have a valid opinion anymore.

sometimes i feel gaf is like the only site that super loves xii

Yes well, Japan also seems to dislike 6 and has a weird obsession with 4 for reasons unknown

Actually, Japan's not-so-favorite FFs are 6, 9, and 12. AKA the FFs GAF loves.

IzzyF3

In retrospect, this series wasn't so bad. I enjoyed it quite a bit, but I didn't finish Lightning Returns though. It's a game you really need a guide for, so I might end up playing it over from the beginning with a guide.

That said though, I think these games were pretty good, but not great on a level of Final Fantasy.

FFXIII-2 was the best from what I played.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
There was an area in this game that was like constant encounters every 2 seconds

Think it was academia 400 or something

What a dumpster fire
Ugh that part made me quit for months. "Hey guys, let's take this awesome dystopian city maze and then make it a punishing slog full of trash encounters every 3 steps!"

Top Bottom