• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 - 5 years later... Do you still think you can ride this Chocobo!

MrBS

I adored this game, gameplay is fantastic. I'm also a big fan of the ending, I wish more games would go to the wall with a zany plot like XIII-2 did.

One of my favorite games of all time, love everything about it. Glad it came to PC so you can play it in higher resolutions and 60 fps (most of the time...)

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Very underrated game; although it really does cry out for a DC version to fix the fundamental problem of its combat being just too easy.

Incidentally contains the second greatest ambient track in all of FF after Hamauzu's magisterial Wandering Flame.

I just remembered it has a pretty hardcore trivia game in the nice version of Academia. Some of those questions touched on some really obscure things that only a diehard FF series fan would know the answer to. That and the fight all monster quest were tough.

Absolutely loved this game. Would love for a XIII HD Trilogy to be released just so I have an excuse to play it again.

Yeah I would buy it in a heartbeat. Lightning Returns especially could benefit from 60fps. I really loved that game but it had a few technical flaws that were largely easy for me to ignore because of the outstanding art direction and atmosphere.

Tizoc

Caius has a cool theme but I don't know if I'd ever call him a good villain or among FF's best villains.
The guy fawns over his girl too much.

Ogawa-san

Really liked it, especially because of the rewind option. It's so refreshing to be able to go through a JRPG with no concerns about missables or thinking ahead about that second playthrough.

True ending as DLC is pure undiluted bullshit though.

I played 25-30 hours a few years back, then some other game came along and I dropped it. Came back a few weeks later having mostly forgotten how to play, dropped it again, never came back. I remember liking it more than XIII, but I didn't care that much about the story and I don't think I ever made it to the bit where you get to hear Crazy Chocobo, so that was unfortunate.

It's still on my list alongside many other JRPGs I've finished substantial portions of, like Xenoblade, Bravely Default and Rune Factory 4. We'll see if I ever actually go back. If I could somehow port my PS3 save to PC, that would probably help!

Has it really been five years? Yikes.

I bought this one day one. Came with the little prequel novella, which I thought was a nice touch. Really had a blast with this game, thought it was a step up from the first one in every way except plot and production values. I didn't really have too much of an issue with how easy it was, but I did miss XIII's occasional willingness to kick your teeth in.

All that being said, I've never had the urge to revisit it.

Kremzeek

out of the trilogy, this is my favorite.

- the soundtrack is AWESOME

- the whole Yuel/Caius/Noel thing is just so sad

- Lightning looks like a total badass in her goddess outfit

- the cliffhanger ending was such a shocker to me - i loved the HOLY SHIT WHAT ending

Weirdly enough this's my least favorite game in the trilogy. It felt like a checklist where they "addressed" every criticism the original game got (mini games, cities, exploration). Felt soulless and flat.

Lightning Returns is by far my favorite in the trilogy. Weird, experimental, with one of the best battle systems of all time.

Korigama

Unlike her sister, "Nom-chan" was absolutely forgotten.
Wasn't Vanille the one people called Nom-chan?

Anyway, never touched XIII-2 or Lightning Returns, because I hated XIII and sure as hell didn't want more of it. That ridiculous Chocobo song was at least one good thing that came out of this one.

out of the trilogy, this is my favorite.

- the soundtrack is AWESOME

- the whole Yuel/Caius/Noel thing is just so sad

- Lightning looks like a total badass in her goddess outfit

- the cliffhanger ending was such a shocker to me - i loved the HOLY SHIT WHAT ending

Agree with all of this

Though I never got a chance to play Lightning Returns

komorebi

I'm not gonna lie, cousins...this is one of my personal favorite FF games. Especially DAT MUSIC. I know the game is batshit but it's also pretty damn fun to play and be in.

I think part of what made it secure such a hallowed spot is that it allowed the best of FF13 to break out and move a little. Plus anything with time traveling has my attention.

I still have no idea what the story was about I I really enjoyed the game. It was almost my first Platinum but I was too lazy to figure out the Beastiary.

Fantastic game. Loved the monster catching/training, especially since one of the most powerful end-game monsters was this guy:

latest

The mog clock encounter system was an awesome addition that allowed for much better control over engaging/avoiding a fight compared to XIII. I really loved how the environmental music would switch to the "aggressive mix" when the clock was active.

Noel was a great character too; he and Serah played off each other really well.
Ah, Chichu. Next to Valkyrie Lightning, it's easily the strongest monster in the game by far.

V. Lightning > Chichu > Valfodr > Omega > Amodar

I hope they release the XIII-2 soundtrack as DLC for XV. The song in the snow area is boss.

mcz117chief

Honestly, it's my favourite game of all time. I loved every microsecond of it and even got a platinum trophy, which I never do.

RIP Origa ;(

The real goddess of the Final Fantasy XIII series.

Seriously, give it a chance. It's really unique, has a very fun combat system, and the time mechanic which people often complain about is ridiculously manageable.

I'm one of those people who suck and don't play older games due to getting rid of all of my old consoles once the new ones release.

Here's hoping a XIII HD Trilogy happens at some point

I'm one of those people who suck and don't play older games due to getting rid of all of my old consoles once the new ones release.

Here's hoping a XIII HD Trilogy happens at some point

I'm in the same boat. Totally understandable. Also very much holding out for an HD remaster trilogy set. The only thing I would ask of them is to change some of the trophies for FFXIII-- XIII-2 and LR had reasonable trophy sets with only a few annoying ones, but FFXIII has some of the most grueling trophies I've ever had to do. Just get rid of the stupid "obtain all weapons" related trophy and I'd be good. Getting the Platinum Ignots was so fucking nightmarish due to what you have to fight to get them and the drop rates and you needed more than a few to forge the ultima weapons.

Or hell just increase the drop rates, something. I'm a completionist so I'd want to do it all again. "Want."

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I really don't understand why people think the battle system was better in XIII-2.

It has less challenge and is easily broken. In XIII you really had to learn the battle system and use all your paradigms and roles effectively. In XIII-2, you can just put together your best party, gain a few levels, and face roll everything.

ubercheez

I kinda dug the clock puzzles because I like mathy puzzles in general, but I can definitely understand why most people would've gotten pissed off by them.

Dantis

Literally one of the worst games I played last gen. awfully boring combat and genuinely terrible writing and characters.

Thoraxes

Still one of the more bleak endings to a FF game, heh. Like jeeze.

Also loved the main cast/villain. Serah is a favorite of mine too.

My brain thankfully was wired to do stuff like those clock puzzles with ease. Never needed a guide or anything and they were fun.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Wasn't Vanille the one people called Nom-chan?

Anyway, never touched XIII-2 or Lightning Returns, because I hated XIII and sure as hell didn't want more of it. That ridiculous Chocobo song was at least one good thing that came out of this one.
I remember it being miss barely appears in this game Serah but I might be wrong?

I really don't understand why people think the battle system was better in XIII-2.

It has less challenge and is easily broken. In XIII you really had to learn the battle system and use all your paradigms and roles effectively. In XIII-2, you can just put together your best party, gain a few levels, and face roll everything.

I dunno. I had more fun with the system in XIII-2, despite your observations being sound. LR was even more fun to me. But I did like XIII's a lot.

komorebi

Honestly, it's my favourite game of all time. I loved every microsecond of it and even got a platinum trophy, which I never do.

RIP Origa ;(

The real goddess of the Final Fantasy XIII series.

Holy shit forgot about this

At least she'll already be there when we reach the afterlife

ubercheez

It's the same battle system. The main difference is that XIII had a wealth of late-game challenge fights that really forced you to master paradigm shifting and battle flow, and XIII-2 did not. It's my main gripe with the game. They tried to ration out the challenge fights as DLC instead of including them to begin with.

The other difference is that XIII kept your progression somewhat gated by crystarium expansion based on how far in the story you were, so you were limited in how overleveled you could be for boss fights. XIII-2 didn't have such a system, nor would it have made any sense with the non-linear approach to the game.

Yuel,Caius, and Noel were amazing. Great voice acting, great story, great musical themes. Caius' rant about Yeul at the end was amazing.

Jumping around different times and places was fun, going from one time where you help out some friends to another time where they're long dead was interesting.

That said, the story did get really confusing at times with Etro and Valhalla that I didn't really understand why the ending happened the way it did. Also, the 5 seconds of Sazh was disappointing.

Also, I never understood Alyssa's actions at the end nor do we get any resolution about her, I think.

mcz117chief

Holy shit forgot about this

At least she'll already be there when we reach the afterlife

She's singing with the angelic choir now in Heaven. Even when she was alive her singing sounded so divine and out of this world. Like her songs for Ghost in the Shell "Inner Universe" or the "New Bodhum" theme in FF XIII-2. Angels appearing in both songs, both songs have that echo effect and both sound just astonishing.

It's the same battle system. The main difference is that XIII had a wealth of late-game challenge fights that really forced you to master paradigm shifting and battle flow, and XIII-2 did not. It's my main gripe with the game. They tried to ration out the challenge fights as DLC instead of including them to begin with.

The other difference is that XIII kept your progression somewhat gated by crystarium expansion based on how far in the story you were, so you were limited in how overleveled you could be for boss fights. XIII-2 didn't have such a system, nor would it have made any sense with the non-linear approach to the game.

Beating Caius in the void is super hard and Yomi too. They took me a long time to defeat.

True Fire

XIII-2 is probably the most underrated FF game. It's not amazing, but Caius is the most compelling villain the franchise has had since Sephiroth, and I still listen to the soundtrack every once in a while.

XIII-2 also gives Serah and Noel fewer abilities than the XIII cast, though. Slow, for example, is not a spell either of them can use in SAB, but some monsters have it as their special.

The later DLC fights, though (like
Gilgamesh
and
Snow
) are some of the best and hardest in the series.

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels

It's the same but it's not. You could power level and you could recruit monsters (some of whom were vastly more powerful than others), which completely change the way you play. There is no reason to get good. You could win most battles without paradigm shifting or even breaking your enemy's defense.

What made XIII good was the battle system that was challenging, fast, and rewarded you for playing well.

Top Bottom