• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for The Peanuts Movie (dir. Steve Martino)

Status
Not open for further replies.
JkStxXZ.gif

holy shit

eso76

"I've never seen any Peanuts stuff before, but this dude's a total loser! Boo!"

Coupled with:

"He's chasing a nameless girl as a trophy"

The latter is valid

Wut ?
it's utter nonsense.

Now, the whole movie being based on CB chasing the red haired girl does sound a little worrying.

Previews/commercials all look awful, so I'm still skeptical. I mean I expected it to not be quite as depressing as the early Charlie Brown specials but the prerelease trails and shit go in the complete opposite direction. It wouldn't be the first time that an animated film's prerelease materials are awful and the movie itself is much better, but I'll have to wait on more impressions.

First I've heard of this. Is this inspired by Earthbound? There is sort of a similar aesthetic.

If anything EarthBound's aesthetics are inspired by Peanuts :p

This could really be the first time he has seen it.

I started reading Peanuts when it was on the back of or in my parent's newspapers. With the decline of print i don't know where kids could get exposed to it day-to-day any more. It was the same with Garfield and The Far Side.
Are many comic strips syndicated nowadays?

Anyway, this looks a lot better than i feared, i might text to see if my sister will be taking her kids to see it or if she's even aware of it?

Tizoc

So THIS WEEK my country gets Jem and the Holograms, but the Peantus movie is delayed til 24 Dec.
This cannot be right, I need dat Peanuts goodness in my life damnit.
They better change their scheduling....

Dishwalla

Banned
How could someone not know what the Peanuts, or at least Charlie Brown and Snoopy, are? That's like not knowing who Mickey Mouse is. You never read the comics? Never saw the Christmas/Halloween specials? Never wondered where that dog from the MetLife commercials was from?

Toothless

Wow, only 60% on Rotten Tomatoes?

I still want to see it.

The negative reviews are kinda stupid. Forbes is just mad at it existing and the other guy is disappointed it's too Peanuts-y... which is a ridiculous complaint for a Peanuts movie.

That movie can eat 10 assholes. The Peanuts looked and sounded exactly the same for like 60 years but these guys fixed it by making it a Shrek movie.

ZeroX03

Banned
Arrested Development requires multiple rewatches. Not just once or twice. That's why it perplexed me when people dropped S4 so quickly, it needs multiple viewings.

First I've heard of this. Is this inspired by Earthbound? There is sort of a similar aesthetic.

This is GAF. This is not the first time I've seen someone compare an ultra niche game to a cultural icon and only be aware of the niche game.

WillyFive

The visuals and art style are phenomenal, but I am not too big a fan of the output of the studio (outside of the 1st Ice Age, of course); glad to hear it's pretty good though.

Lijik

Glad this seems to be one of the few times Blue Sky's storytelling actually matches their visual prowess

I'm morbidly curious how this would turn out given how easy it would've been for a studio to just do a 'meta' adaptation of Peanuts, throw in some pop-culture references and call it a day like the trap so many other classic adaptations seem to fall into. If it's decent-at-worse than it's still far better than the alternative could've been.

Really dig the way they translated the art style into CGI as well.

It's at 83% on RT right now. I think it's worth mentioning that a reviewer from AP had this to say:

Sandy Cohen said:
Relying on 50 years of character development, the Peanuts gang stays true to their original selves -- there's no new edge or post-modern snark in the mix.

UberTag

Thank god they respected Peanuts enough to NOT add a modern edge.
Having the Schulz kids involved kind of assured this.

Ensured we wouldn't wind up with a modernized monstrosity like so many other franchises (Smurfs, Chipmunks, Scooby Doo, Jem, etc.).

Eusis

That movie can eat 10 assholes. The Peanuts looked and sounded exactly the same for like 60 years but these guys fixed it by making it a Shrek movie.
I almost wish the first wasn't a joke just because it'd have made these two an amazing pair of posts.

... Well, related to the first I DID think of the whole property as "Snoopy" and only found out that it was more specifically called Peanuts when I was actually in school. But that's probably fairly benign considering it was a young age and the fact Snoopy really was THAT heavily pushed.

I went to go see it this afternoon, I was very pleased to see that it stuck to its pure roots and like a lot of people said, didn't have to rely on pop culture references and other crap like that to tell a joke. The CG made some great use of old comic panels here and there as well, I don't want to say too much without spoling it. Overall great for the kids, but also great that they did put in some nice references for the older Peanuts fans to notice as well :)

CREMSteve

Just got back from seeing this, wife and I took our three kids and they all liked it. We adults enjoyed it as well. The animation is wonderful, the comedy is spot on and the voices are perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom