• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for The Peanuts Movie (dir. Steve Martino)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rekameohs

Banned
How the hell did you dummies not see the doghouse in Arrested Development?

Oh well, at least it's another excuse to watch the whole thing again, right?

Dalek

This movie is a dream come true. It's so wonderful-pure, innocent, and nostalgic. It's modem and Classic at the same time. Genuinely funny and very sweet. The Red Baron scenes are awesome to see.

Snoopy is hilarious in this movie.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
For those who saw it, can you answer me this?

Are the Meghan Trainor and Flo Rida songs within the film itself, or just throwaways in the end credits for the sake of soundtrack sales?

Dalek

There are a few modern songs playing in the background during a school dance but I couldn't tell you what they were if my life depended on it.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Okay, that works for me. I was afraid they might have slipped in a blatant sequence set prominently to modern pop music.

Thanks.

They are not in it

Music to my ears.

tumblr_nbdp1wpnMd1s2wio8o3_500.gif

Son Of D

Is there a reason this is called "Snoopy and Charlie Brown: The Peanuts Movie" in the UK? As far as I know it's just The Peanuts Movie everywhere else. My knowledge of Peanuts is vague so it might have been called that here in the past. That or it's an Avengers Assemble type scenario.

Is there a reason this is called "Snoopy and Charlie Brown: The Peanuts Movie" in the UK? As far as I know it's just The Peanuts Movie everywhere else. My knowledge of Peanuts is vague so it might have been called that here in the past. That or it's an Avengers Assemble type scenario.
In South America for example we never heard of the term Peanuts. We knew the tv specials/movies as "Snoopy" or "Charlie Brown". Might be the same in other places.

I'm surprised it's called The Peanuts Movie here in the US. All our other movies and specials have Charlie Brown or Snoopy in the title. Though your re-title reminds me of The Vidiot From UHF.

Sorcerer

Wow. I was expecting to hate this from the trailers. Seems those trailers were a misdirection.
Movie was excellent. Not a dull moment, every scene seemed important/entertaining.

The animation was lovely, but there are many throwbacks to the old school style as well.

I hope this is a success because it seems to be in good hands.
I didn't know if children nowadays would get Peanuts, but kids in the theater were laughing quite a bit, a good sign.

Stay for the credits and till the end of the credits, if you care about that kind of thing.

I've kinda learned not to trust most trailers for animated movies that aren't Pixar. Missed out on gems like Tangled because of odd initial trailers.

Good to see the film turned out great. Will try to see it a week from now.

Dalek

How in the world did people not see that when they watched Arrested Development? Like-it's right on the screen! I'm positive people watch tv these days while tweeting or something.

Platy

Awesome can't wait to see it !

.....WHAT ?
Only starts in my country in the middle of JANUARY ?

Fuck =|

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
How in the world did people not see that when they watched Arrested Development? Like-it's right on the screen! I'm positive people watch tv these days while tweeting or something.

Yeah, I mean...that's the joke. That's why that shot is there, to show the doghouse in conjunction with the musical cue.

I guess it's like the "Lone Pine Mall" thing in Back to the Future that I thought was incredibly obvious but is now a "One weird thing" listicle bullet point.

Dalek

Yeah, I mean...that's the joke. That's why that shot is there, to show the doghouse in conjunction with the musical cue.

I guess it's like the "Lone Pine Mall" thing in Back to the Future that I thought was incredibly obvious but is now a "One weird thing" listicle bullet point.

Yeah-the number of people that admit they've never realize that after multiple viewings of Back to the Future kind of blows my mind. I mean-it's the entire way it's framed.

Vice

From the 60s? First I've heard of this. Looks kind of cute I guess. It's not too childish though, is it?

It's for children, but it very much respects their intelligence and wasn't very coddling until the later animated specials. Best place to start is "A Boy Named Charlie Brown"

Peru

If this "good" movie is good because it's cute and charming then it probably misses the point of Peanuts. I mean.. even if it's isolated speaking a charming kids movie it has nothing to do with Peanuts. If it leads to more people reading the strip? Great. But I doubt it. It's not a kids strip anyway. I'll watch it, since I care a lot about Peanuts, but the problem is I can't see it being good even with the 'right' people involved.. It will inevitably be too sentimental about its characters.

Wow. I was expecting to hate this from the trailers. Seems those trailers were a misdirection.

Mr.Smiley said:
I've kinda learned not to trust most trailers for animated movies that aren't Pixar. Missed out on gems like Tangled because of odd initial trailers.

There appears to be an unspoken rule that trailers for animated films should do three things:
  • Put the comedy front and center.
  • Use a pop song for earworm material.
  • Avoid most story/drama related elements.

Besides Tangled, we've also seen it done with Frozen and Big Hero 6, as well as some of Dreamworks' movies. US marketers seem to feel that if they don't portray an animated film as anything but a nonstop comedy, they're going to turn kids off, which will then, in turn, lead to parents not wanting to go. Unfortunately this also applies to teen/adult viewers as well, as many won't give an animated film a chance unless they think its a comedy.

As it stands, the way they advertise animated films in the US is working, or at least it isn't turning off swaths of people. I don't expect them to change anytime soon, which is why I often find myself not taking any animated trailer at face value these days.

jerry1594

Ah, I was really loving the animation in the trailers, so I'm glad this is looking to be good.

The early (50s-60s) strips are my favorite. The 50s stuff especially.
I like the early 50s up until 56. Maybe I need to read more but I don't like the 'iconic' style and characters that much.

Blues1990

For those who have seen the film, without spoiling anything, is it along the lines of the earlier strips, where the core humour was about the harsh realities of being a child & how life isn't fair? Or, is it more along the lines of the later Bill Melendez half-hour specials, where there is a more mellow atmosphere & Snoopy takes up much of the screen time, forcing the rest of the cast to take a back set to the dog's antics?

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
It even has the Vince Guaraldi Trio "Christmas Time is Here" instrumental playing during that scene.

Not sure about later callbacks with Tobias or George

gabbo

How is this the first time that I notice the doghouse(and the dog) in the background.
JkStxXZ.gif

You aren't alone. Man, that show really packs it into every single scene.
Going to have to see this at some point. Love's me some Snoopy and Charlie Brown.... but mostly Snoopy

Kinda middling reviews so far, huh? I kind of want to see it but I could also use that money to get some of the old Peanuts animated specials on DVD...

First I've heard of this. Is this inspired by Earthbound? There is sort of a similar aesthetic.

I'm snickering at your post but it is an angry snicker.

Yomidi

Here in Italy it's called "Snoopy and Friends: The Peanuts Movie"
I guess that Snoopy as a name has more poplarity than the Peanuts.

For those who have seen the film, without spoiling anything, is it along the lines of the earlier strips, where the core humour was about the harsh realities of being a child & how life isn't fair? Or, is it more along the lines of the later Bill Melendez half-hour specials, where there is a more mellow atmosphere & Snoopy takes up much of the screen time, forcing the rest of the cast to take a back set to the dog's antics?

It's a lot like the Bill Melendez specials. Snoopy gets a lot of screentime, but it is definitely a Charlie Brown movie.

Dalek

It's mostly Charlie Brown's story with intermissions of Snoopy vs. The Red Baron.

Blues1990

It's a lot like the Bill Melendez specials. Snoopy gets a lot of screentime, but it is definitely a Charlie Brown movie.

Okay, that's a relief. As much as I love Snoopy & Woodstock, they both ruined the later Melendez shorts & TV show for their consistent on-screen presence. I'll check the film in a weeks time, as it looks pretty funny from some of the test footage I had watched last year.
The shining star gag, which dropped like a bowling ball from the sky, had me howling with laughter.

Okay, that's a relief. As much as I love Snoopy & Woodstock, they both ruined the later Melendez shorts & TV show for their consistent on-screen presence. I'll check the film in a weeks time, as it looks pretty funny from some of the test footage I had watched last year.
The shining star gag, which dropped like a bowling ball from the sky, had me howling with laughter.

Snoopy is a near-constant presence but they do a nice job of using him in relation to Charlie Brown. Meaning he's clearly Charlie Brown's dog and most of the time he's trying to help him, in his own Snoopyish way.

Is Meghan Trainor in the movie at all? Like her character? Because I still think that's dumb.
No.

Musolf815

I can't really remember a time where I didn't love Charlie Brown/Peanuts, so this movie was a joy to see. It's so faithful to the original material and so sweet! Also a ton of really cool easter eggs for fans.

ElRenoRaven

Glad to see folks enjoying it. I'm going to see it tomorrow afternoon myself. Peanuts have always signaled the real start of the holiday season to me. Always brings out the little kid in me.

Meia

Movie was pretty damn good, definitely going to buy it when it comes out for home release. They definitely do a lot for the old audiences(they pretty much have almost every re-occurring reference or joke in the movie in one form or another), but it's a pretty good story.

Then again I haven't watched anything of Peanuts in a good 15 years so it's hard to compare it to the original stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom