• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Reviews for The Peanuts Movie (dir. Steve Martino)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blues1990

Snoopy is a near-constant presence but they do a nice job of using him in relation to Charlie Brown. Meaning he's clearly Charlie Brown's dog and most of the time he's trying to help him, in his own Snoopyish way.

Ah, so Snoopy loves his hopeless master through & through, despite playfully heckling him, unlike for most of the characters that will unapologetically point out all his faults. I like that, actually. Even Charlie's best friend, Linus, can sometimes have a mean streak in the comics, so having at least ONE character that legitimately cares for him (in this case, his loyal dog) is a much needed change. At least Soopy's persona, Joe Cool, will hopefully be absent in this outing.

saw this today. pacing was kind of weird (it all takes place during the course of a school year but you don't really get that til the very end) and the orchestral score for the film was pretty bland but other than that it was really good. visuals were great, the characters were great, just really enjoyable. It really speaks to how well designed these characters are in that they were virtually unchanged for this new film but still fit perfectly at home as cartoon characters in the year 2015.

Moral was a bit toothless compared to the somewhat harsh reality that "A Boy Named..." hinges itself on, but it was still a good tale. Actually wanted to see the supporting cast doing way more with this new revitalized style. Red Baron scenes were great. It's weird to use this word for a movie that was made without the original creator and one that was preceded with ads to buy star wars and snoopy stuff at target before it began, but there was something very "pure" about it. Got a little misty at the final final shots.

zeioIIDX

JkStxXZ.gif

Holy crap....I'm with the other two people up above...I've never once noticed the red doghouse and pup chillin' on top. Wow.

Prestige Capo

Neo Member
Just watched this with my little sister. She really enjoyed it, and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. I was never a huge Peanuts fan, I remember watching a Christmas special when I was a kid but I don't remember too much. It was a fun and charming movie, I got some good laughs out of it and I LOVED the art style.

They have Snoopy shops in Japan, Korea, and China. I would argue he's even bigger there than the US.

Far bigger in Asia, it has slowly become less relevant in the U.S and europe but remained popular throughout Asia, you find snoopy stuff for children all over china and it's still a very popular and loved franchise there.

Dishwalla

Banned
The Arrested Development gif is funny because that's been someone's avatar here for ages. You guys must not be paying attention(or you have avatars turned off).

I saw this last night and thought it was ok. As I figured, it was mostly a silly movie for kids. There were some parts that made me smile but overall I felt like it wasn't for me. That awful pop music really put me off.

It was at least visually appealing.

Son Of D

There appears to be an unspoken rule that trailers for animated films should do three things:
  • Put the comedy front and center.
  • Use a pop song for earworm material.
  • Avoid most story/drama related elements.
Don't forget this one:

If there is a dance sequence in the film, show it in the trailer.

Sorcerer

I had a slight problem with the hawking of Ice Age during the 20TH Century Fox Logo.
C'mon guys you just had a five minute Ice-Age short before the movie.
We know you make Ice-Age, let Peanuts be its own thing.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
I had a slight problem with the hawking of Ice Age during the 20TH Century Fox Logo.

To be fair, Scrat only shows up during the Blue Sky Studios logo.
Schroeder's
the one who makes a very apt appearance during the 20th Century Fox logo.

gblues

Banned
So it sounds like there is no trademark Blue Sky "break into song" ending like their last couple movies? Please tell me that's true!

Horton Hears a Who was awesome up until the REO Speedwagon kicked in.

brian577

Banned

Scrat has been part of the Blue Sky Studios logo sequence for years. He's like Luxo or the Disney castle at this point.

Richie

Is Vince Guaraldi's score featured prominently here? I heard someone say Meghan Trainor pop songs appear more frequently, which in my mind would be a sin.

Cafeman

I watched it with wife and another married couple (friends). we're all over forty, as reference.

It was a nice film, but it didn't really connect with me that much. It does a fine job of recognizing its history and trying to add a bit more, but not too much, for the modern audience. I thought the pacing was a little too fast in some parts. Charlie Brown's never ending failures could have been lingered onscreen a bit more, maybe. And I miss the jazz bg music and the sparse scenes from yesteryear. I give it 6/10, and that isn't meant to criticize.

Snoopy and Woodstock got lots of screen time. All of the voice acting was incredibly spot-on, too. You will recognize Linus right away, great job by whoever that kid was.

What I was not prepared for was the new SCRAT short! I love the little guy! He's hilarious. When I realized what it was , I got excited and enjoyed it all. Nice to see the Ice Age characters again too in the SCRAT short- I never thought I'd say that.

jond76

Banned
This movie is a dream come true. It's so wonderful-pure, innocent, and nostalgic. It's modern and Classic at the same time. Genuinely funny and very sweet. The Red Baron scenes are awesome to see.

Snoopy is hilarious in this movie.

I totally agree with you here.

I loved that when CB had a flashback thought bubble, it was in the style of the old specials.

Just great. Can't wait to own it.

Blizzard

Banned
I thought it was a new Ice Age movie promo or something until I found out it was just a standalone short.

The Peanuts movie itself was maybe 7/10 for me, and I've read at least some of the comics back to the old days where Snoopy didn't talk/think much. I suppose I consider myself a Peanuts comic fan. Most everything character-wise and animation-wise was great. The 2D effects were neat. The Red Baron flying shots were surprisingly pretty.

The plot did seem rather plain, and the random pop music songs were kind of annoying.

Practically anything with Snoopy, Woodstock, or the birds were my favorite parts of the movie.

SPOILER about test scores:
Did anyone catch the legitimate high scores? I seem to recall catching Marcie and Franklin but that's all I remember.

*edit*
Ah, so Snoopy loves his hopeless master through & through, despite playfully heckling him, unlike for most of the characters that will unapologetically point out all his faults. I like that, actually. Even Charlie's best friend, Linus, can sometimes have a mean streak in the comics, so having at least ONE character that legitimately cares for him (in this case, his loyal dog) is a much needed change. At least Soopy's persona, Joe Cool, will hopefully be absent in this outing.
Not sure if this is a spoiler, but about the character:
Joe Cool appears in one scene, the school dance.

Strange that Linus is in the same classroom as Lucy despite being born several years after her. Also, I guess Rerun is yet to be born, since they stuck with the core cast for the most part
though Spike only appearing in a credits group cameo is a personal letdown.
Point is: don't think about Peanuts continuity.

Like others said: very worthy visuals, and I think Blue Sky was actually a good choice because they have the pedigree for wordless comedy that the Snoopy segments require.

SPOILER about test scores:
Did anyone catch the legitimate high scores? I seem to recall catching Marcie and Franklin but that's all I remember.

I believe Linus was third after those two.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah Peanuts is an international icon.

With that said the "icon" is Snoopy and Woodstock rather than the kids + Snoopy and Woodstock. And thus it's known as Snoopy than Peanuts.

Also people should really watch Charlie Brown Christmas if you want an intro to the general Peanuts atmosphere. Or that film where Charlie Brown joins a spelling bee (forgot the movie's name, but man that one got me).

Good grief.

To this day I still laugh and imagine if Jotaro was Charlie Brown grown up.

stuminus3

Took a couple of my kids to see this yesterday. LOVED it. I'm a cynical old grouch but 5 minutes in and all my cynicism melted away. Kid's movies these days are all so "loud" and "zany", this was Peanuts as Peanuts is meant to be. Glad to see it had a good opening weekend.

Saw this over the weekend. The feels are real!

Is Vince Guaraldi's score featured prominently here? I heard someone say Meghan Trainor pop songs appear more frequently, which in my mind would be a sin.
Christophe Beck does the music, but the classic Peanuts theme is heard throughout the movie. There IS some pop music(Trainor's song is heard a few times), but it isn't handled as bad as MOST movies like this, and isn't really IN YOUR FACE. I can bet all the movies I got trailers to(with the exception of The Good Dinosaur and maybe Kung-Fu Panda 3) will do everything the opposite how The Peanuts Movie handled its pop music. That would include Secret Life of Pets, Norm of the North, Angry Birds Movie and Alvin and the Chipmunks: Road Chip(the antithesis of everything The Peanuts Movie is and stands for).

JSevere

This was really good. It was simple and understated in a way big-budget animated movies aren't really nowadays, and really faithful to the strips/specials. Made me feel pretty nostalgic too.

Future

Yeah Peanuts is an international icon.

With that said the "icon" is Snoopy and Woodstock rather than the kids + Snoopy and Woodstock. And thus it's known as Snoopy than Peanuts.

Also people should really watch Charlie Brown Christmas if you want an intro to the general Peanuts atmosphere. Or that film where Charlie Brown joins a spelling bee (forgot the movie's name, but man that one got me).

To this day I still laugh and imagine if Jotaro was Charlie Brown grown up.

Spelling B movies was a Boy named Charlie Brown

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UW-Qf1OMaEo

Sorcerer

Thinking back on the movie, is it fair to say this movie is a Peanuts Holiday Special greatest hits?

Not necessarily a bad thing if they are trying to introduce Peanuts to a new/younger generation.

The overarching plot is the Red Headed Girl.
Subplot is the Red Baron.
Every famous Peanuts gag to fill in the rest.

Carnby

Yeah, my dad actually got to see this movie early. I'm jealous. I asked him what he thought of it and he said "Wah wah wah wah wah wah wah WAH wah wah WAH wah wah WAH WAH WAH wah wah wah wah wah." So I'm looking forward to it.

Sensiblechuckle.gif

Thinking back on the movie, is it fair to say this movie is a Peanuts Holiday Special greatest hits?

Not necessarily a bad thing if they are trying to introduce Peanuts to a new/younger generation.

The overarching plot is the Red Headed Girl.
Subplot is the Red Baron.
Every famous Peanuts gag to fill in the rest.
I just saw this today with wife and kids. Really enjoyed it. Like others, I was somewhat skeptical of a feature film update of a property I love (TV specials and Sunday comics for me, mostly).

Your plot/subplot/filler synopsis pretty much nails it. I suppose it would be disappointing if they didn't hit all of the expected hallmarks.
I loved the end credits use of the legendary Lucy/football gag. I root hard for Charlie Brown, but I was happy to see him still ultimately Charlie Browned.

Pop music choices were okay for this, although the VGT jazz standards are just so iconic and swallow up and spit out everything else. But Peanuts TV specials have regularly strayed before (Thanksgiving show comes to mind), so that is fair game. And the movie at least keeps a proper tone.

Also thought movie did a good job with using Peanuts ensemble, all of the players got suitable runtime. Great stuff.

Toothless

Finally saw it tonight. There's a lot of ways to get a Peanuts movie wrong in 2015, but this film avoids most of the obvious pitfalls. As horrible as a CGI adaptation sounds, the computer-animation's unique style really works and is really quite beautiful in its comic aesthetics. The voice-acting is as good as Peanuts gets, with child voices abound. The story is thin and exists as an excuse to make nostalgic gags about the Peanuts, but when the source material is this good, I can't really complain. That said, I wasn't a fan of the extended Red Baron sequences, and the ending, although super charming, is oddly reminiscent of Paperman. I also am not sure if this qualifies as a "Peanuts" movie, since the foreign title, "The Charlie Brown and Snoopy Movie," is a lot more fitting. You get no standalone Linus/Sally, Peppermint Patty/Marcie, or Schroeder/Lucy scenes here; it's all Charlie Brown and/or Snoopy with those characters. Maybe they wanted to save something for a sequel, I don't know. Despite these nitpicks, The Peanuts Movie is the best revival of a children's property since 2011's The Muppets, and manages to be fun, charming, and all-around a good time.

Scrat short was consumerist trash.

mollipen

I saw this last night and thought it was ok. As I figured, it was mostly a silly movie for kids. There were some parts that made me smile but overall I felt like it wasn't for me.

See, I just finally saw the movie today, and I spend the entire time thinking kids would hate it. It definitely didn't feel like "a silly movie for kids" to me. I mean, it didn't feel as adult as old-school Peanuts, but it felt an equal distance away from today's kid's fare.

Scrat short was consumerist trash.

I like you.

Sorcerer

Is this movie considered a flop? It cost 99 million to make and so far has brought in about 122 worldwide.

Sad to think we may never get another one. I was hoping the second one would have a more original storyline, something new.

Is this movie considered a flop? It cost 99 million to make and so far has brought in about 122 worldwide.

Sad to think we may never get another one. I was hoping the second one would have a more original storyline, something new.

Has it opened everywhere yet?

I know it's out here in the UK until Dec 21. Me and my girlfriend are both hyped as hell, we're huge Peanuts fans. Been watching the 60s specials in preparation.

Tansut

That's not the reason a sequel probably isn't happening. The Schulz family only agreed to one movie being made and they're fairly protective of the property.

http://www.vulture.com/2015/11/second-peanuts-movie-coming-any-time-soon.html

I sat in the theater and watched 7 minutes of this before realizing it wasn't a preview and I was at the wrong screening. In other news Mockingjay was pretty good but I missed the beginning

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Finally aired in my country. Fuck you local film industry and your need to monopolize december for your shitty films.

...people exaggerated here about the "modern music". There's nothing wrong with it, in fact it was only used in a single montage which is very typical.

Anyway it's really good. Enjoyed a lot of it and feels typical Peanuts. Although I can see some people not liking the Red Baron segments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom