• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First trailer for Netflix's Castlevania animated series

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks better than i expected
With Castlevania III being my first and favorite castlevania . I really hope it turns out well

CgsMQCl.png

love this art. looks oldschool
Wow. that Sypha Belnades art

CASTLEVANIA NETFLIX SERIES TEASER TRAILER RELEASED!

I’m EXTREMELY proud to announce that I am the Director of the Castlevania Netflix series, coming July 7th! Me and the gang at Powerhouse Animation Studios have been hard at work bringing one of our favorite game franchises to life in this animated series. It’s a labor of love for all that are involved and we can’t wait for everyone to get to check it out!

Huge thank you to Assistant Director @adamdeats, Animation Director @spencerwan, and Lead Background Designer Robby Johnson for their massive contributions to the show!

http://samueldeats.tumblr.com/post/161037948927/castlevania-netflix-series-teaser-trailer

lets hope this labor of love turns out great for them

Are we absolutely sure this is going to be R rated?? I really hope not. Definitely want to check it out, but will skip if it's loaded with sex and nudity.

Erm, yes, we're absolutely sure. One of the show runners has said it's going to be, I believe his words were, "R-rated as fuck".

I have a feeling that it's just going to be hyper violent, if the trailer is anything to go by.

Erm, yes, we're absolutely sure. One of the show runners has said it's going to be, I believe his words were, "R-rated as fuck".

I have a feeling that it's just going to be hyper violent, if the trailer is anything to go by.
That makes me excited. Hopefully they do not hold back.

Nicko

Thanks. I can tolerate violence and blood, but nudity is a no go. Here's hoping it stays to the theme of the trailer.

border

I was really hoping that Frederator would make this with the same enigmatic, whimsical style and tone that they bring to Adventure Time and Bravest Warriors. This just looks like generic anime edgelord stuff.....right down to the promises of hyer-violence. It feels like their talents are going to waste on something anybody could have made.

Budi

I think I'll give this a chance, though my favorite bit from the trailer was the NES =P Hit right in the nostalgia.

Spman2099

It's anime stylized but it's being made by a western studios, so best of both worlds imo.

He's got a serious allergy to a broad classification of extremely different animation styles, utilizing completely different techniques, spread out across a wide swath of genres. It is a very serious medical condition. He can't be helped, man. It would have been kinder to leave him on the mountain side at birth...

It was to be a trilogy of animated films, and Warren personally met with then-Castlevania producer Koji Igarashi for his blessing. No idea what kept it in the oven, though.

Per the Bloodstained Community Manager, IGA's digging the reveal trailer.

Yeah, I remember Ellis being peeved at how strict IGA was regarding straying from the source material, and constantly gave him notes on who he could and what he couldn't do. Eventually IGA did sign off on the final script before the project entered dev hell.

ReyVGM

Have they made any comments about the music? Specifically if they are acknowledging and using the amazing soundtrack the series has?

I was really hoping that Frederator would make this with the same enigmatic, whimsical style and tone that they bring to Adventure Time and Bravest Warriors. This just looks like generic anime edgelord stuff.....right down to the promises of hyer-violence. It feels like their talents are going to waste on something anybody could have made.
Uh. It's Castlevania. Why the hell would it have a whimsical style when the games have been edgy right from the beginning. This style is a perfect fit for the series, and Western animation has more than enough stylized shit. More realistically proportioned adult oriented animation has been a long time coming

border

Uh. It's Castlevania. Why the hell would it have a whimsical style when the games have been edgy right from the beginning. This style is a perfect fit for the series, and Western animation has more than enough stylized shit. More realistically proportioned adult oriented animation has been a long time coming

Because why use Frederator unless you are going to lean into their specific talents? It's like hiring J.K. Rowling to write an Expendables movie.

My main interest in the whole project was how Frederator would leave their own style and fingerprints on a long-stagnant IP. Instead they've just gone with a pretty bog-standard adaptation that follows down the same path the games have been on for like 2 decades now.

This looks awesome. I'm in.. Is it in 4k by any chance? Slim I know for an animated series.
The new BTAS movie is 4K, and Netflix pushes 4K content as much as they can in order to sell the premium subscription.

So, 4K animation is a huge pain to do, but it's a definite possibility.

Castlevania has nudity? What?

Nudity is irrelevant for me but for a Victorian based world it's just fan service and out of place.

Castlevania had nude enemies for a while like some succubi sprites, Scylla, and Alraune. I don't think nudity is out of place in Victorian era works. During this time they did try to push restraint and values but there was stuff like brothels and rampant prostitution (Also demons probably would do the complete opposite of what is considered decent and moral). I'm sure there are many works about Victorian debauchery, and I think Burlesque shows started in the era.

PixlNinja

Banned

That's the thing tho, nobody IS making anime like this anymore.

Spman2099

I can remember when one of my friends referred to all dramatic films as "emo". You use "edgelord" about as well.

Tuck

Dude, this is Castlevania we're talking about. The adventure time style would not at all be appropriate.

Reverend Funk

Comfy Penetration

yea was hoping they would get the spongebob guys on this

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

Its not being done by Frederator from the looks of it so no need to keep on this tangent.

Ahasverus

... Nah fam. You're tripping. This is the right style for a dark gothic franchise such as CV.

Maedhros

Because why use Frederator unless you are going to lean into their specific talents? It's like hiring J.K. Rowling to write an Expendables movie.

My main interest in the whole project was how Frederator would leave their own style and fingerprints on a long-stagnant IP. Instead they've just gone with a pretty bog-standard adaptation that follows down the same path the games have been on for like 2 decades now.

You're alone in this

That's the thing tho, nobody IS making anime like this anymore.

Forreal. This looks beautiful. Reminds me of shit like ninja scroll

I don't mind edginess but that shankar guy takes it to new heights of corniness tbh

But this was one case where he was right on the money.

mantidor

Aren't the enemies sometimes naked and shit

Ooooooh the enemies, ok I have no problem with that.

My mind went to gratituous creepy shots of the love interest of the protagonist or something along those lines, the enemies on the other hand are expected to be over sexualized obviously. It really never registered for me until now how sexual some of them are heh, now that makes sense.

border

... Nah fam. You're tripping. This is the right style for a dark gothic franchise such as CV.

I don't really care about whether a dark gothic franchise gets adapted in the right style. What appealed to me was the mismatch of creator and content, and what that might bring about.

Its not being done by Frederator from the looks of it so no need to keep on this tangent.

????

https://media.netflix.com/en/only-on-netflix/122622

The animated series is from Frederator Studios, a Wow! Unlimited Media company, written by best-selling author and comic book icon Warren Ellis

Ahasverus

I don't really care about whether a dark gothic franchise gets adapted in the right style. What appealed to me was the mismatch of creator and content, and what that might bring about.
"I don't care about the thing this is adapting from therefore if it's not done my way it's bad".
????

https://media.netflix.com/en/only-on-netflix/122622

The animated series is from Frederator Studios, a Wow! Unlimited Media company, written by best-selling author and comic book icon Warren Ellis
Ok this is getting confusing. Maybe the studios are collaborating? I don't know. duckroll help plz?

duckroll

Ok this is getting confusing. Maybe the studios are collaborating? I don't know. duckroll help plz?

Fredarator is producing it. They helped put the whole thing together from the start. They just aren't animating it themselves. It's like how Platinum Games didn't make Infinite Space, but the game probably wouldn't have gotten a publishing deal and financing from Sega if they didn't use their name to help produce the project.

Ahasverus

Fredarator is producing it. They helped put the whole thing together from the start. They just aren't animating it themselves. It's like how Platinum Games didn't make Infinite Space, but the game probably wouldn't have gotten a publishing deal and financing from Sega if they didn't use their name to help produce the project.
Thank you. That's a great turn of events.

border

"I don't care about the thing this is adapting from therefore if it's not done my way it's bad".

I never said it was bad, just that it doesn't look like it takes much advantage of Frederator's skillset, and that is a little disappointing. I was expecting something that didn't take itself quite so deadly seriously. Maybe something more akin to Army of Darkness or The Mummy (1999). I'm certainly much more a fan of Frederator than I am the Castlevania lore.

Entirely to early to judge, though. Maybe it will end up like Get Out, where it turns out someone with mostly comedic sensibilities can provide a fresh take on an entirely different genre.

duckroll

I never said it was bad, just that it doesn't look like it takes much advantage of Frederator's skillset, and that is a little disappointing. I was expecting something that didn't take itself quite so deadly seriously. Maybe something more akin to Army of Darkness or The Mummy (1999). I'm certainly much more a fan of Frederator than I am the Castlevania lore.

Entirely to early to judge, though. Maybe it will end up like Get Out, where it turns out someone with mostly comedic sensibilities can provide a fresh take on an entirely different genre.

Dude, you've been going on and on about this when people have already told you that this is a project Fredarator put together because they are a bigger name in the industry. It's not one they are animating, directing, designing, or writing. It's a serious "for adults" Castlevania action show written by Warren Ellis and animated by the folks at Powerhouse Animation.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

What are you even talking about? Clearly their skillset extends beyond stylized comedy animation. Why pigeonhole like that? Studios routinely do varied work in multiple genres of comparable quality. What a strange take.

Ellis routinely inserts humor into even his darkest work, but if you're expecting this to be a comedy you are up the wrong tree.

border

It's not one they are animating, directing, designing, or writing.

If you say they have no role in writing or art design I believe you, but prior to the post you just made the extent of their role as "Producer" was entirely unclear to me. Generally that producer title can mean anything from "group that provided the money" to "group with an incredible amount of creative control who is outsourcing the grunt work".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom