• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

geomon

Oh man we live in the same area. *high five* ever been to the gamestop right off us1 and 184th? I work there.

I've been in there a few times. Stay safe bruh and if you don't think your house will make it, my apartment building is all concrete and I live on the north side of it.

xaM3iqe.jpg

So far...

geomon

I had a mcdonalds sign in my backyard after Andrew. When they finally came to pick it up it was from a McDonald's 17 miles away. That thing was just flying through Dade County.

I still remember the U-Haul truck upside down on the roof of the U-Haul building on US-1 after Andrew.

Welp looks like it has beat Andrew in winds...
11aEST 5 September 2017: Winds 180mph sustained, higher gust, moving West 14mph, pressure 931mb. A reminder these numbers are verified by active Hurricane recon specialized aircraft from the Air Force and NOAA bravely flying in and around Irma.

This is my parents first hurricane in Florida. When we all lived together, we faced hurricanes and bad weather before... but they are going to be alone dealing with a potential Cat 5...

They are also 10 miles from the Gulf. I have no idea how flooding and wind would pan out for them.

Yeah..I was thinking about the same. Flooding does get a little stupid with just a little bit of rain..what's coming is gonna do a number on us.

I'm on the other side of the bay and in a pretty old house myself. Our house and neighborhood are all well above sea level so I hope that helps if there is flooding. All of the maps I've checked say my house is 42 feet above sea level which I think is pretty high for this part of florida.

Yea, it says our place is 45 ft above sea level, but water seems to accumulate on our street corner during heavy storms. We'll see how this goes.

Best of luck, friend.

Also, I think my Dad will be the only person driving into FL at the end of the week. Should probably hold off for a few days.

Jag

Rain is usually not an issue here in SoFla. This looks like a fast moving wind event. Just make sure your shit is secure and be prepared to be out of power for 1 to 2 weeks. The aftermath is usually worse than the storm itself.

Tested my generator this weekend and gas is pouring out of a line and I can't figure out what's wrong. That was supposed to power my spare fridge.

Ponn

Banned
I'm not getting hysterical yet, been through too many hurricanes and seen those tracks change everytime right up to the day it hits. In NE FL it's big enough we will get the rings for sure, and there's always the chance it could do a Charley.

I'm much more concerned for my sis right now. She's going to get hit by any of those tracks and they are already flooded. She' works in a doctors office she's devoted to and won't close and she can't move all her animals. She has a couple very large exotic birds and has been recently taking care of some stray kittens, along with a couple dogs and a cat of her own. There's no convincing her to leave.

gaiages

Banned
Hoping the storm doesn't hit the panhandle, but prepping today in case it does and we have to evacuate anyway. Got to get a better cat kennel and a few other things to make sure we can get going when we have to.

What are the chances Mar-a-Lago gets completely leveled?

Have some fucking tact.

I dunno what we have in the PNW. Volcanoes?

To an extent we have wildfires (usually east of the state or in the mountains)

We are on the ring of Fire. So earthquakes, tsunamis and volcanoes. While we don't have many natural disasters...if mt rainier goes...

Retrofluxed

I work at a vacation rental company in Destin, so you can imagine what my week has been like so far. I want to tell these people "you're worried about it?! I live here!", but I bite my tongue and assure them everything will be ok.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
This will slow as it hits land though, right?

The current track has it running almost exclusively over water, skirting just north of most of the Caribbean islands and just south of the Bahamas and Turks and Caicos, arriving at the Florida Keys as a very strong Cat 4 with 145 mph winds.

Of course, that's just the current NHC track. Hardly a guarantee.

EDIT: Just realized I read one of the numbers wrong. Fixed it.

____

Yeah aftermath is definitely usually worse than the storm itself here.

My mom (I don't live w/ her) told me that we are leaving town, no questions if this thing looks like a real threat.

She wants to do a road trip and head north, but I'd rather just catch a plane and gtfo. I hate the idea of being on the road where there could be a 12+ hour drive just to get out of the state and still not out of the storm zone. Plus our family is 4 + a dog, which wouldn't be comfortable in her small Benz SUV. :\

Yeah..I was thinking about the same. Flooding does get a little stupid with just a little bit of rain..what's coming is gonna do a number on us.

They do have one of those extremely large hurricane drains ~2miles from their condo. I have no idea how these operate though. If someone reading wants to clue me in. I've kinda never seen those in action before as a native born to Ohio.

The other problem, there is a federal nature reserve on the back of their property. Debris will be an issue for sure, but spooked wild life might also be a thing. Black bears, gators and deer are common in their area.

Yeah aftermath is definitely usually worse than the storm itself here.

My mom (I don't live w/ her) told me that we are leaving town, no questions if this thing looks like a real threat.

She wants to do a road trip and head north, but I'd rather just catch a plane and gtfo. I hate the idea of being on the road where there could be a 12+ hour drive just to get out of the state and still not out of the storm zone. Plus our family is 4 + a dog, which wouldn't be comfortable in her small Benz SUV. :\

Right? If she wants to leave, she needs to start now, not later. The roads will not be friendly closer to the time of impact.

Historically, category 5 intensity is very difficult to maintain over long periods. Cat 4 is more likely. However, there is very little to impede it unless it takes a more southerly track and over some of the mountainous islands in the Caribbean, which absolutely decimates hurricanes with their mountainous terrain.

So uh, this is my first hurricane in Florida. I'm in Tampa doing an internship. I got some not too big trees around where I'm staying. Hopefully things will be alright.

MrNelson

Banned

J_Viper

I wondering if I should buy plane tickets for my dad and bro now. If the storm weakens throughout the week maybe they'll be alright? They live in Commercial.

I've got friends in Aventura too. I hope they pull through, along with everyone else.

My parents live in Jacksonville. I keep telling them to come stay at my apartment in Atlanta before Saturday. You guys think it's gonna be bad by the time it reaches North Florida?

Went to Publix around 7:30 am and all the water was gone. WELP.

Same.
Publix, Aldi, Walgreens, and pretty much every other store in town has been cleared out.
Saint Cloud, FL not taking any chances it seems.

I have a few spare jugs to fill with tap water at least.

Top Bottom