• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

My parents live in Jacksonville. I keep telling them to come stay at my apartment in Atlanta before Saturday. You guys think it's gonna be bad by the time it reaches North Florida?

Based on current models and my 20+ years of living in FL, I think Jacksonville is going to be spared the brunt of it. It's south FL and potentially the west coast and panhandle that need to worry the most. It depends on what the storm does after ravaging the Carribean. If it goes right through Cuba that's good news for mainland US as it will soften it up.

With that said, don't fall asleep at the switch. Keep an eye on the NHC models and have some basic supplies in case of power outages or flooding.

DI-L-QCV4AIdjzH.jpg

____

Right? If she wants to leave, she needs to start now, not later. The roads will not be friendly closer to the time of impact.

Yeah. Been trying to reach out to her this morning but haven't gotten through. She's watching the news much more than I am since she's retired, so she's probably making preparations already.

Line_HTX

Are there any models projecting this going into the Gulf towards Texas or is it too early to forecast that? I only know that Texas has a cold front that was blocking some development in the southwestern Gulf.

Goddamn, stay safe everyone.

Not much I can say that everyone else has but I'd suggest making sure you have some spare flashlights and a battery powered radio at the very least.

witness

I don't like that they are playing that song "No where to run, no where to hide" right now in WalMart while people are panicking buying stuff.

We will be preparing emergency teams for the hospital given a direct hit. This could get real nasty.

Noshino

I don't think this is true. Building codes got beefed up considerably after Andrew in 1992.

After Andrew lot of building codes were changed, almost all new homes and buildings are concrete, roofing standards also were strengthened. Many of the light poles and utilities were improved, lot more cables are put underground nowadays too.

While they were indeed change, there are still many problems with it. Not only that, but under Scott the codes have been getting weaker and weaker.

Rain is usually not an issue here in SoFla. This looks like a fast moving wind event. Just make sure your shit is secure and be prepared to be out of power for 1 to 2 weeks. The aftermath is usually worse than the storm itself.

Tested my generator this weekend and gas is pouring out of a line and I can't figure out what's wrong. That was supposed to power my spare fridge.

What?

Flooding has been, and continues to be, Florida biggest problem. People need to stop claiming otherwise.

louiedog

I don't like that they are playing that song "No where to run, no where to hide" right now in WalMart while people are panicking buying stuff.

I still remember the time school let out early as a massive storm approached. The radio was on in the bus and the DJ gave up a weather update, then casually put on Phil Collins' In The Air Tonight.

Kusagari

What?

Flooding has been, and continues to be, Florida biggest problem. People need to stop claiming otherwise.

It makes me wonder what alternate version of Florida they live in. Did they miss Sawgrass having to literally shut down because the flooding was so bad 2 months ago?

Rain is usually not an issue here in SoFla. This looks like a fast moving wind event. Just make sure your shit is secure and be prepared to be out of power for 1 to 2 weeks. The aftermath is usually worse than the storm itself.

Tested my generator this weekend and gas is pouring out of a line and I can't figure out what's wrong. That was supposed to power my spare fridge.

Rain is a major problem here in South Florida.

Shit, I don't live in Florida but a decent bit of my family does live north of Tampa. This is starting to scare me. Seriously stay safe, everyone.

gdt

How much damaged can this do to the coast and shore hotel businesses?

I'm just hoping there are still some standing, and certainly the one I just made a reservation at in 3 weeks.

Please veer off. For everyone's sake.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
If you need water might want to check some CVS stores. The one on NE 167th St had a good amount *when I was there*

So... chances of hitting midland, SC? I have a business trip to Boston next week (flying out on 9/11, yay!).

But I'm not keen on leaving my family in a hurricane.

rhino4evr

Checking in from south Florida here. Panic button has been pushed. Most stores out of water, batteries, plywood, you name it. Gas stations have long lines. Likely most places will be out of gas before the weekend. I looked at a flight out or Fort Lauderdale this morning, and tickets were still available. I searched again a few minutes ago and ALL flights out were booked.

It makes me wonder what alternate version of Florida they live in. Did they miss Sawgrass having to literally shut down because the flooding was so bad 2 months ago?

Problem there was almost 2 weeks straight of storm weather. The amount of waterfall was not normal, the canals and drainage couldn't keep up at Sawgrass, while surrounding areas did just fine. The Sawgrass situation was a bit of a unique situation and not common problem for the mall.

gwarm01

Reminds me of the time I boarded a cruise ship and the speakers were playing "I will go down with this ship."

Didn't have much luck as far as gas goes in Plantation. Only went to two, but with the way they were both jam packed with people despite not having any gas doesn't give me much hope.

I only got a quarter tank so I might use it to run over to Miami to take my dad's car while he's away and just hope he left it filled up.

BahamutX83

Neo Member
This is driving me bonkers. I live in the Florida panhandle and half of the paths in that posted image go right over my area.

I'm definitely gonna get some supplies tonight. I've seen these storms curve into Panama City or the Big Bend too many times to not be prepared.

Cptkrush

If it follows that red line, pinellas is done. Just got my shit in order, we are planning to evac to some friends in Oklahoma if it continues its path. Completely expecting my apartment to be destroyed, so I guess I'll live in OK after the weekend :/

sflufan

Banned
How does one go about reading these charts? I understand they are forecasts, but outside of that I'm drawing a blank.

The "+" numbers indicate the number of hours since the initialization of the projection. For example "+120" means 120 hours (5 days) since the initial reading of the storm's location.

Top Bottom