• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
LeBatard show was Hurricane central for the local hour. Mike was saying that the Publix be by his house is cleaned out already. Dan saying if it does hit the Clevelander won't even exist anymore if it was a direct hit.

black_13

Banned
That's crazy! I was just in Miami yesterday and flew out as it was my last day of vacation! Florida is a beautiful state. Hopefully they don't get hit hard!

MrNelson

Banned
Red line might be better for Florida than some of the black ones as a Cuba landfall may take the edge off. Bad for Cuba though!
The red line would essentially be the worst case scenario for Tampa Bay. It would put the most populated areas of Hillsborough and Pinellas counties under 20-30 feet of water.

Lkr

LeBatard show was Hurricane central for the local hour. Mike was saying that the Publix be by his house is cleaned out already. Dan saying if it does hit the Clevelander won't even exist anymore if it was a direct hit.
My mom called me from a target in Saint augustine and said they've already been cleared out of bottled water. I can only imagine what it's like in Miami. Stugotz has got to be disappointed he wasn't able to stock up to do some price gouging though
What'll likely happen is that game is moved to Friday and parent's weekend is just canceled. They probably went from a nearly sold out game on Saturday to less than 15k in the stands on Friday. That would still leave plenty of time for people to get to where they need to go after. Memphis players/staff would also have plenty of time to get out too.

One of those situations where it probably actually is better playing sooner than postponing. There isn't an opening the rest of the season to make it up and since it's a conference game, you probably can't easily skip it. Only good thing is both teams played last Thursday so they'd be on normal rest.
Didn't even think about the logistics of rescheduling it to be honest.

Walmart in Collier County are expecting trucks everyday through Friday. That's what the manager told me at 10am. Call to confirm for your areas if you still need supplies

Earendil

So guys and gals who have been through this before. When we evacuate, should I turn the power off in my house? Or should I leave it on and unplug everything? I'm not sure what the best thing to do is.

Thanks

Dre3001

Models have shifted again

highprob-sep5.png

If the red line happens Tampa, St. Petesburg, Tallahassee, and west coast of FL is fucked.

Hurricane Hermine was a Cat 1 and hit Tallahassee last year and pretty much shut down the city for a week. A Cat 4 or 5 would be devastating.

If the red line happens Tampa, St. Petesburg, Tallahassee, and west coast of FL is fucked.

Hurricane Hermine was a Cat 1 and hit Tallahassee last year and pretty much shut down the city for a week. A Cat 4 or 5 would be devastating.

Shit, Wakulla County would be absolutely destroyed, and that's where a lot of people who work in Tally live.

So guys and gals who have been through this before. When we evacuate, should I turn the power off in my house? Or should I leave it on and unplug everything? I'm not sure what the best thing to do is.

Thanks

Unplugging most things is a good idea. Power is gonna go off probably anyways but you don't want stuff plugged into a wall

Thanks

The power will still be live, even if you turn everything off at the breaker box. Just unplug everything and move it as high as possible.

BahamutX83

Neo Member
I75 and I95 are going to be bumper to bumper if there's a mandatory evacuation. If you have to evacuate north, don't forget roads like US41 and US19.

Thanks

Full power down. Turn off the water, the electricity, unplug things from the walls, take patio furniture inside, yes, even if it's in a screened off porch. Remove things from the walls inside, and if your attic is full of things, it's safest to remove or tie down everything in it because a Cat 5 will remove the roof outright, and everything there WILL be a projectile if it comes to it.

WaterAstro

Cat 5? Welp... rip Miami.

They have a bunch of shit set up to get rid of rising tide. We might see another Katrina situation.

Lkr

A Walmart i went to in Jacksonvile was mostly out of water.
I'm glad people in jax are taking it seriously, when I lived there people always talked about how they never actually make landfall in jax. And while that is true, it only needs to happen once and the entire city is under water since it's already surrounded by water

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Oh man, this sucks. Stay safe, everyone.

Growing up in Wisconsin, we had some pretty scary tornado watches and storms, but nothing like this.

Is it looking like Sarasota is going to get hit? My mom is right on Little Sarasota Bay so that would probably get bad.

It looks like it, I defiantly would give her a call and make sure she has a plan. I'm right on the coast line myself and I'm not risking this.

Wishing the best of luck to everyone in Florida for this, I hope something changes to stop this being as hideous as it seems to be shaping up to be - as a UK resident, this is not something I could even begin to appreciate the scale of.

As a general question, what do the big theme parks do to 'protect' their properties during storms like this? I assume their parks haven't been wiped out by monstrous storms in the past? Excuse my ignorance if this is a common knowledge question...

Retrofluxed

I'm going to hit up my local Publix after work, I'm hoping it won't be raided since it's a small town in the panhandle. My mother-in-law will probably come stay with us (St. Augustine) assuming this damned thing doesn't make a bee-line towards us, then we'll be heading over there.

BahamutX83

Neo Member

So much this. Tallahassee has issues with flooding just from frequent showers, let alone a torrential downpour. Hermine should've been a wake up call but...

Already booked a hotel in Georgia. Hoping I dont have to use it.

Im in Orlando and just bought my house on the 25th. Im devestated right now

Lkr

Wishing the best of luck to everyone in Florida for this, I hope something changes to stop this being as hideous as it seems to be shaping up to be - as a UK resident, this is not something I could even begin to appreciate the scale of.

As a general question, what do the big theme parks do to 'protect' their properties during storms like this? I assume their parks haven't been wiped out by monstrous storms in the past? Excuse my ignorance if this is a common knowledge question...
The Orlando theme parks have never been wiped out by a hurricane. A full strength hurricane actually passing over the Orlando area is rare and usually by the time it hits it has been weakened over land already.
Back during charley, Frances and Jeanne they shut down the parks and provided entertainment in the resorts for the guests that rode it out.

Apparently selling out of gas and water in my hometown in South Georgia. Wtf

As far as theme parks getting hit, I'd have to think a cat 5 would be a fucking apocalypse scenario for Legoland Florida.

Pagusas

Elden Member
how much chance is there for this to pull south and still hit the gulf states, specifically houston? I'd hate to see what would happen if they got hit again.

My brother just closed on a house in Davenport last week too.

Luckily he has insurance, but still not something either of us probably want to go through. Also driving my 3 month old 7 hours to Georgia sounds like a nightmare.

I work at a mortgage company and it was just announced that nobody is providing insurance until after the hurricane hits. I feel for the people who are in a contract and recently sold their house. Hopefully everything comes out well.

Jacksonville is officially losing its mind. Runs on gas and stores are selling out of water. Luckily I tracked down a Honda generator. After the last brush with a hurricane left me without power for 5 days thanks to trees coming down, I'm not chancing a repeat. Wish i was helping my parents prep their house right now, not stuck at work. But what can you do?

Oh man, this sucks. Stay safe, everyone.

Growing up in Wisconsin, we had some pretty scary tornado watches and storms, but nothing like this.

You know the great thing about hurricanes are is that you get tornadoes WITH the hurricanes!

hurricanes suck

Lkr

Jacksonville is officially losing its mind. Runs on gas and stores are selling out of water. Luckily I tracked down a Honda generator. After the last brush with a hurricane left me without power for 5 days thanks to trees coming down, I'm not chancing a repeat. Wish i was helping my parents prep their house right now, not stuck at work. But what can you do?
I'm stopping at the Ortega target for my mom soon, I already know they're gonna be sold out but I have to try I guess.

Welp. Family and I just moved to a new house in the FWB/Destin area... We already went out and got provisions to prepare for the worst, but this feeling really sucks

gaiages

Banned

Yeah, Tallahassee will be absolutely devastated if we get hit by this. I don't know about flooding but the amount of trees that'll come down and wreck shit will be awful.

If the hurricane is set to hit the panhandle I'm probably just going to evacuate. Our area got some bad tree damage last year and I'd rather not be around to see what Irma does.

Man the virgin islands and PR are about to get slammed by a sure fire cat 5. Where do they go to ride out hurricanes like this?

Grym

Last year when Matthew came through Disney World shut down its parks for like the 4th (unsure?) time ever. It was a very rare occurrence. We knew people staying in one of Disney's campgrounds (Fort Wilderness) and they force evacuated all the RV trailers. (I think they had them all moved to a lot at Magic Kingdom itself?)

Lkr

Man the virgin islands and PR are about to get slammed by a sure fire cat 5. Where do they go to ride out hurricanes like this?
Most likely they stay where they are because they have nowhere to go. The damage and death caused by these storms in the Caribbean is on another level compared to what we get in the states.

Top Bottom