• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Can we make it a rule to stop saying LOL rip (city/county/state name)???

People are going to fucking die. This shit is as real as it gets and I don't see the need for light humor that homes, towns and people's lives are going to be destroyed.

Wishing the best of luck to everyone in Florida for this, I hope something changes to stop this being as hideous as it seems to be shaping up to be - as a UK resident, this is not something I could even begin to appreciate the scale of.

As a general question, what do the big theme parks do to 'protect' their properties during storms like this? I assume their parks haven't been wiped out by monstrous storms in the past? Excuse my ignorance if this is a common knowledge question...

Disney World is one of the most iconic places on Earth. I would imagine that structural engineers have already finalized their opinions on "weak points" and have placed orders for materials for repairs already. That's not to even mention that the board of directors for the park would more than likely have only approved things for the park itself as long as they had a way to keep their investments safe/one hell of an insurance policy. Disney will be fine.

Wishing the best of luck to everyone in Florida for this, I hope something changes to stop this being as hideous as it seems to be shaping up to be - as a UK resident, this is not something I could even begin to appreciate the scale of.

As a general question, what do the big theme parks do to 'protect' their properties during storms like this? I assume their parks haven't been wiped out by monstrous storms in the past? Excuse my ignorance if this is a common knowledge question...

Lot of the big parks like Disney have their attractions indoors in big buildings that are well protected. Much of the park can be stored away in various buildings and in some underground areas. If they take any damage it would largely be cosmetic outside a few things they can't predict. Some places like Universal with like Harry Potter world are likely gonna see some more damage to their outside attractions.

Lkr

Gas prices are going up and grocery stores are starting to be cleared out.
Wonderful...
Just ask when the next shipment comes in. Most likely your stores will receive shit every day leading up to the storm. get there early like black friday

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Already booked a hotel in Georgia. Hoping I dont have to use it.

Im in Orlando and just bought my house on the 25th. Im devestated right now

I've lived in Orlando for 36 years. Every hurricane that's hit us never caused much property damage. A few broken tree branches and the power being out for a few days at most is what we'll likely be dealing with here. Try not to worry too much.

I've lived in Orlando for 36 years. Every hurricane that's hit us never caused much property damage. A few broken tree branches and the power being out for a few days at most is what we'll likely be dealing with here. Try not to worry too much.

When I was a kid a hurricane collapsed our roof in, and we didn't have insurance so it just stayed like that until my parents got kicked out and we got a new place.

I live down the street from where my parents lived.

bachikarn

Models have shifted again

highprob-sep5.png

What's special about the red line? Is it the most probable?

Yeah, Tallahassee will be absolutely devastated if we get hit by this. I don't know about flooding but the amount of trees that'll come down and wreck shit will be awful.

If the hurricane is set to hit the panhandle I'm probably just going to evacuate. Our area got some bad tree damage last year and I'd rather not be around to see what Irma does.

Glad to see other Tallahassee gaffers even its under less than ideal circumstances.
Yeah after that last one at a Cat 1/low 2 fucked tallahassee up, a 4 or 5 and I'm going to Georgia to ride it out and come back to no apartment.

A Cat 3 I dont know...my place would probably be fine at that...I guess. I dont even know.

Lkr

When I was a kid a hurricane collapsed our roof in, and we didn't have insurance so it just stayed like that until my parents got kicked out and we got a new place.

I live down the street from where my parents lived.
How long ago was it and how old is your current house? Building codes changed after Andrew in 92 and again after Charley in 04. Not saying your fears are unfounded or anything just make sure you have somewhere to go just in case and don't think about the worst case scenario.

Tahnit

Banned
What sucks is due to the size of this monster no matter where it hits in Florida everyone is gonna get something.

JPKellams

A storm would have to be moving at Andrew levels of forward speed to really impact Orlando in a destructive manner. I suspect Irma doing direct landfall on Daytona moving across the state east to west would cause Andrew in Naples level of damage.

Vestal

Gold Member
How likely is the hurricane to weaken before hitting Florida?

Fluctuation between Cat 4 and 5 can happen... However conditions are very favorable for maintaining its strength.

If it does not interact with land such as Cuba or maybe Hispanola not very likely. Both islands have high mountains that can shred away some of the hurricanes power. I would say with no land interaction you are looking at a CAT 4 or 5 when it reaches Florida. With land interaction then probably a Cat 3 or Cat 4.

gaiages

Banned
Can we make it a rule to stop saying LOL rip (city/county/state name)???

People are going to fucking die. This shit is as real as it gets and I don't see the need for light humor that homes, towns and people's lives are going to be destroyed.

I'd just go ahead and report them.

Glad to see other Tallahassee gaffers even its under less than ideal circumstances.
Yeah after that last one at a Cat 1/low 2 fucked tallahassee up, a 4 or 5 and I'm going to Georgia to ride it out and come back to no apartment.

A Cat 3 I dont know...my place would probably be fine at that...I guess. I dont even know.

lol hi!

Yeah if Irma hits Tally I fully expect the place I live at to not survive it, or take some very heavy damage. Thankfully the owner is our roommate's mom so she'll be able to help us out a bit but I'm less than enthusiastic, obviously.

If it hits Cuba before turning north then that could weaken it significantly. Would be bad news for Cuba though....

It really needs to head through the southern section to hit the mountains to be impacted significantly. The north coast won't knock it down a lot (maybe a category).

Damn, my buddy works down in Panama City. What's the outlook for that area?

still too early and too much uncertainty. good news is that if he needs to evacuate getting out from that part of the panhandle shouldn't be that difficult.

freaking out about a big bend or tampa landfall. Pinellas county graze/landfall would be apocalyptic for a storm that size. Big bend landfall would cause massive tree/wind damage w/ way way way too many storm surge casualties.

sense

So what are some safe spots to head to if I decide to drive out of tampa. I guess I should leave by tomorrow or Thursday the latest right.

BULLETIN
Hurricane Irma Intermediate Advisory Number 26A
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL
200 PM AST Tue Sep 05 2017

...POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE IRMA HEADING
TOWARD THE LEEWARD ISLANDS...

...PREPARATIONS SHOULD BE NEARING COMPLETION IN THE EASTERNMOST
LEEWARD ISLANDS...

SUMMARY OF 200 PM AST...1800 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...16.9N 59.1W
ABOUT 180 MI...290 KM E OF ANTIGUA
ABOUT 185 MI...295 KM ESE OF BARBUDA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...185 MPH...295 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...W OR 275 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...926 MB...27.34 INCHES

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK
------------------------------
At 200 PM AST (1800 UTC), the eye of Hurricane Irma was located near
latitude 16.9 North, longitude 59.1 West. Irma is moving toward the
west near 14 mph (22 km/h), and this general motion is expected to
continue today, followed by a turn toward the west-northwest
tonight. On the forecast track, the extremely dangerous core of Irma
is forecast to move over portions of the northern Leeward Islands
tonight and early Wednesday.

Reports from an Air Force Hurricane Hunter aircraft indicate that
the maximum sustained winds have increased to near 185 mph (295
km/h) with higher gusts. Irma is an extremely dangerous category
5 hurricane on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale. Some
fluctuations in intensity are likely during the next day or two, but
Irma is forecast to remain a powerful category 4 or 5 hurricane
during the next couple of days.

Hurricane-force winds extend outward up to 60 miles (95 km) from
the center and tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 160
miles (260 km).

The latest minimum central pressure reported by reconnaissance
aircraft is 926 mb (27.34 inches).

NEXT ADVISORY
-------------
Next complete advisory at 500 PM AST.
rP9l1CV.jpg

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Problem there was almost 2 weeks straight of storm weather. The amount of waterfall was not normal, the canals and drainage couldn't keep up at Sawgrass, while surrounding areas did just fine. The Sawgrass situation was a bit of a unique situation and not common problem for the mall.

With climate change, it's going to be much more common. : (

Pretty much. Tallahassee tends to be ok during hurricane season but if this hits I'm not too sure.

Kinda reposting, but seriously for those in a panic about water..... do realize we have perfectly drinkable water that comes out of our taps and often many homes have filters on their water. Just pour your own now, fill up gallons of containers from your own home. You don't need bottled water or go nuts hunting down filtered water.

Lnkn52

Kinda reposting, but seriously for those in a panic about water..... do realize we have perfectly drinkable water that comes out of our taps and often many homes have filters on their water. Just pour your own now, fill up gallons of containers from your own home. You don't need bottled water or go nuts hunting down filtered water.

+1

WillyFive

Pretty much. Tallahassee tends to be ok during hurricane season but if this hits I'm not too sure.

Mostly because Tally is technically hiding in the corner/armpit of the peninsula, a hurricane would have to make a U turn to hit it directly. That also means it's super vulnerable to disaster if it actually hits them, because they have no infrastructure for them.

So what are some safe spots to head to if I decide to drive out of tampa. I guess I should leave by tomorrow or Thursday the latest right.

if you don't mind a drive see if you can find a spot in macon. It's right on 75 and plenty far inland. You run a lot less risk of having to deal with local damage or flooding in south georgia.

Savannah is tempting but I'm pretty sure i-95 is going to be non-stop misery.

if you don't want to drive that far, valdosta, though I will warn you that if it makes big bend landfall you will immediately regret that decision, south georgia floods easily and the wind damage will be catastrophic.

My Dad has a house in the keys, but lives here in CA. He said they're basically assuming his boat is toast, and has some people trying to tie down what they can.

What a nightmare.

theytookourjobz

I’m in Jax Beach. We evacuated for Matthew (just to an area further inland in Jax) but I’m fortunately flying out to Colorado on Thursday evening and won’t be back until Tuesday. Hope my place survives and hope all my fellow Floridians stay safe.

Top Bottom