• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

If the Euro says Cuba, believe Cuba. Until it says otherwise. I do not trust the GFS here (sends the storm up the east coast of FL). This is a pretty big divergence between models and not one that will make it easier to prepare for this dumbass storm.

Note: A long duration stay on Cuba would weaken the storm significantly, and make it less likely to hammer Miami at the earlier angles forecast. However, it is still a possible significant danger to the peninsula.

First time in my adult life that I won't be living in Florida during hurricane season.

Somehow being away from it is making me more panicked than living there.

I remember last year living in Jacksonville having lunch with my friends just casually going "hmm where should we drive to?". My friend ended up driving up to north carolina to go rock climbing lol

Is Nintendo supplying the water? I can't find any in Tampa.

Sorry man, I bought all the water with a web crawler script so I could sell it on ebay for a very high price.

Really, use your tap water and add a few drops of bleach if you need to. Just REGULAR bleach. Don't go for that "plus color swamp!" or whatever garbage. Cheap bleach. I think it was about a tablespoon per gallon, mix well. If it's not cloudy and nasty looking, you'll be find storing it for a few days, but much longer than that and you'll wanna add bleach.

5xJg352.gif

UCF has moved the Saturday night scheduled football game vs. Memphis to Friday night at 6:30 Eastern. Done in a manner to allow as many first responders to focus on hurricane prep by not allowing tailgating on campus. All other activities cancelled in relation to Parent's Weekend.

I'm guessing the campus will shut down except for students living on campus shortly after the game concludes.

Parents just texted me pictures of the hurricane shudders my dad just installed on the lanai and some of their windows. It was worth investing in getting those shudders!

Poor dad though, he said it was super hot outside. =\

2MF

Don't use the precise points in model outputs to make decisions.

Even the NHC track (which is usually more accurate than models) has significant error in it beyond a couple of days out as I understand it, which is why they put a cone around it.

Then remember that the location shown is the CENTER of the storm, not the whole storm.

Parents just texted me pictures of the hurricane shudders my dad just installed on the lanai and some of their windows. It was worth investing in getting those shudders!

Poor dad though, he said it was super hot outside. =\

Awe, poor guy. I can only imagine the heat. My Dad is going to be applying some wood and he's getting sand bags ready. My parents recently installed brand new windows that are supposed to be pretty strong...but not against a cat 4 or 5 lol

mYm|17|

Parents live near Tampa and my Aunt/Uncle live next to them. Got a lot of cousins in Davie/Coconut Creek area in South Florida. Called my parents to make sure they are prepared.

lightus

I'm in Gainesville. First time I'll have a "real" hurricane come through while at my current apartment. I'm on the top floor so really all have to worry about is how well the roof holds up and losing power.

Grabbing supplies now just in case. Ordered an external battery pack so at the very least I'll be able to keep my phone charged up.

Glad to see other Tallahassee gaffers even its under less than ideal circumstances.
Yeah after that last one at a Cat 1/low 2 fucked tallahassee up, a 4 or 5 and I'm going to Georgia to ride it out and come back to no apartment.

A Cat 3 I dont know...my place would probably be fine at that...I guess. I dont even know.

Anything South of Southwood, particularly Woodville is fucked. The Cody Scarp is the dividing line for two different watersheds.

J_Viper

Thank God my dad and brother were able to book Grayhound tickets for Thursday

Really hope anyone here with with family in FL is able to get them out of there too

Forgive my ignorance but why are people buying up all the bottled water? Shouldn't people just fill up all their available containers?

Stress. What's the best way to secure/protect a vehicle parked outside? Parking garage?

Elevation is the only answer. If your parking lot floods, look for a supermarket or Walmart. Their parking areas are designed to move water out quicker than residential areas. Plus it'll be lit as long as there is electricity

Anything South of Southwood, particularly Woodville is fucked. The Cody Scarp is the dividing line for two different watersheds.

I'm actually in southwood. The apartment is pretty new so I should be fine because of building codes I'd guess. Some of those Southwood places that are in dips look like perfect spots for flooding though.

I've been drinking straight tap for the last couple of years so I think it's fine.

It feels surreal looking outside and knowing in a week it could all be a horror show and that we could be dead.

The problem with tap water is that if anything gets into wherever you're getting your water from, it can taint the whole batch.

So again, you'll want to fill up on water today, bleach it to store it, just in case, and if you still have running water, if you aren't going anywhere, make sure to bleach it, too. It works in a pinch, but obviously it's better to have sealed, clean water.

Top Bottom