• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Kusagari

We're likely not going to know where is getting a direct hit until it's too late.

Almost everyone in FL is in danger. Prepare now.

How likely is it for the power to be out for an extended amount of time? Thinking about picking up a generator if I can find one...

Smidget

How likely is it for the power to be out for an extended amount of time? Thinking about picking up a generator if I can find one...

Too long in this heat. I'm assuming those are long gone at this point though. Check Craigslist for some "entrepreneurs".

IrishNinja

I was without power during Wilma for a month and this is likely going to be far stronger.

same, i was in cutler ridge reading library books by daylight & then candles, haha
this hand crank radio i ordered is supposed to generate some power but i doubt it'll be enough for my tablet for very long!

Too long in this heat. I'm assuming those are long gone at this point though. Check Craigslist for some "entrepreneurs".

also this - if you don't already own one, you're gonna be paying through the nose

Hey Neighbors! Off of Falkenburg and 301 here. Not to worried about flooding although we're close to the gulf. More worried about wind damage.

Oh hey! Yeah I guess I'll figure out what to do tomorrow when my parents leave.

If you are stressed go to Culvers. Today's flavor of the day is Double Caramel Chocolate Peanut!

ColdHoboKiller

Neo Member
Got a holiday all booked and paid for to Orlando with gf on 21st till 4th of October. How are things in Orlando? Is it projected to be bad there? Is it likely to affect our holiday plans or will we just miss the storm? House out there doesn't have a generator or anything so starting to worry.

Stay safe Florida-gaf

My hometown!!!

Yup, I'm pretty close to there, too. 15 mins tops.

It ain't looking good for us and my boss's company hasn't said what they're doing about the hurricane. So unless Publix closes, I'll be working up to the point that it's on top of us putting bread on shelves.

Last year I got knocked on my ass by panicky people during the Matthew storm and we got...drizzle here.

Costco, WalMart, Publix, Winn Dixie... all out of water right now. Really not looking forward to this.

I enjoyed the smaller scale hurricanes when I was younger. We'd go out in the eye when it was eerily still. We cooked beans on a camping stove in the stoop and waved to the neighbors.

Shit sucks now that I have things on the line. And Tallahassee is the least hurricane-prepared city in the half dozen or so large FL cities I've lived in.

marq_roq

Neo Member
Yup, I'm pretty close to there, too. 15 mins tops.

It ain't looking good for us and my boss's company hasn't said what they're doing about the hurricane. So unless Publix closes, I'll be working up to the point that it's on top of us putting bread on shelves.

Last year I got knocked on my ass by panicky people during the Matthew storm and we got...drizzle here.

Born and raised there for 30+ years and never saw a hurricane that did much damage that far in. Just a lot of rain and 60-70 mph winds for periods. Plus with the sand ground and some hills that leaves little flooding.

Born and raised there for 30+ years and never saw a hurricane that did much damage that far in. Just a lot of rain and 60-70 mph winds for periods. Plus with the sand ground and some hills that leaves little flooding.

Yup, but with some of these storms and the copious amounts of lakes, it's a pretty big flood risk. We've been lucky, but betting on being lucky isn't a good idea. I'm prepped, though.

Monroe County mandatory evacuation starts 7am Wednesday

DI_I_D9XoAAC1TC

Literally closed on a house in Tampa recently. Insurance is bound and we have coverage. We don't live in a flood zone at all, but I'm sure we'll get plenty of rain and maybe some power outages. Glad the seller paid for a new roof with third nailing for hurricanes just two weeks ago. Im hoping the concrete structure and new roof hold up just fine. We have 3 2.5 Gallon water taps and plenty of sports bottles that we filled up with filtered water. Not going to bother with trying to find bottled water, since every store is packed and getting cleaned out as we speak. Im not going to evacuate unless it does some crazy curve ball into the golf and hits the bay. If it hits land down in Miami and tries to push north, it'll weaken like crazy by then. Stay safe people, and be smart.

IrishNinja

Key West International closing at 5:50pm tomorrow. That will be the last flight out.

Also toll on highways beings lifted at 5pm today

was waiting on this - its not uncommon to evacuate the keys when things are looking serious, for obvious reasons. glad they're giving folks time.

I can't stress this enough but go get supplies today. People are freaking out over this and buying lots of stuff so hurry up and go get some.

legit worried publix liquor store will be out of whiskey when my break comes around

Btw, I didn't know there were so many gaffers in the Orlando area.
Hi everybody!

Make sure y'all have provisions stocked up just in case.

JoeBoy101

Still quite a few of those tracks could fuck us up in NC.

Let me tell you, here in Raleigh, I'm giving that bitch Irma some serious side-eye. Really concerned given the sheer number of possible tracks taking her up the east coast, by land or sea.

Think I'm going to restock my emergency kit around Thursday this week. Will have a much better idea then what its going to do.

Jag

Goddam. Filled up the generator and gas starting flowing from the overflow tube. Runs fine, but I can't run it with gas pouring out of it. This sucks. It was my lifeline for the coming weeks of being out of power.

I am off 301 and progress blvd right next to the xscape theaters lol. Maybe we should all have a gaf meetup haha

If I wanted to sit around awkwardly and silently around other awkward, silent people while someone -- and we'll never figure out who -- "bathed" with wet wipes stinks up the place I'd just go work at Walmart. :p

For Brandon people.

I talked to my counterpart that services the Publix stores around here.

Causeway will get a truck everyday this week between 5 and 6 in the morning and they should have water on all of them.

The Publix on 301 by 75 will get a truck tomorrow between 12 and 3

Top Bottom