• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

Greenymac

Power out in Valdosta and Lowndes county in Georgia. Winds have been steady since last evening, but now the intensity is definitely ratcheting up.

witness

Made it through the night in Orlando near Maitland. These fucking wind gusts need to die so that I can open up my doors. See some debris in my backyard, screened porches held up, house seems fine, but I did lose part of my (well the owners) rear fence. Dogs held up nicely with no real freak outs. My in laws are annoying the shit out of me though! Just want the sun to come up...

SomTervo

image.php

Of course not.

It's faster to google this on your own, than waiting for a response.

It was a joke.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Tree or big ass branch feel in our backyard, it's still crazy windy so we can't go out and check just yet.

Doncortez

In Orlando near apopka our power went out for like 5 mins and came back on which is surprising cause our power normally goes out if the wind is the strength of an ant's fart. Florida And Georgia Gaf continue to stay safe out there.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Feel like I'm living in the stone ages without power. My phone is at 42%. Good thing my Mac is charged 100%, I'll use that to charge my phone when it dies. I pray (not really) that power comes back on sometime today, but it won't.

I can't sleep anymore since that's all I've been doing to pass time.

cntr

Banned
According to the Guardian, if Irma hadn't interacted with Cuba, it wouldn't have weakened and would've taken a more eastern path. We could've gotten a Category 5 hurricane straight down the middle of Florida.

Thank fuck that didn't happen.

...somewhat relatedly, Cuba sent 750 health workers down to the Caribbean to help with recovery. So that's good too.

Steejee

According to the Guardian, if Irma hadn't interacted with Cuba, it wouldn't have weakened and would've taken a more eastern path. We could've gotten a Category 5 hurricane straight down the middle of Florida.

Thank fuck that didn't happen.

...somewhat relatedly, Cuba sent 750 health workers down to the Caribbean to help with recovery. So that's good too.

Yeah it was pretty clear that hitting Cuba as hard as it did spared Florida a catastrophic hit, which makes me wonder how Cuba is managing. What info I have seen from Cuba made it look like they rode it out pretty well.

I feel almost all of Florida dodged the worst case scenario bullet, incredible. Obviously the keys and Naples/Marco island got the worst of it so hopefully they are ok but it could have been so much worse.

I assume all of Florida gaf is safe, we made it.

I feel almost all of Florida dodged the worst case scenario bullet, incredible. Obviously the keys and Naples/Marco island got the worst of it so hopefully they are ok but it could have been so much worse.

I assume all of Florida gaf is safe, we made it.

This. Things could have been so much worse. All of my loved ones are okay. Early walk through of my home seems okay. Car is okay. Incredibly thankful and fortunate. Lot of debris to clean, but I'll happily take it.

FreezeSSC

Made it out okay! Still have power and only a small section of fence fell. Besides that just looks like debris in my front yard and thats it. Tried to look at my roof from the street and didnt notice any shingle missing so I'm feeling pretty lucky. This is in Oviedo. Still windy though with a light drizzle.

tmtyf

Knocked parts of my fence down last night. Luckily I still have power. If this was a 2 I can only imagine if it his us as a 5

I am okay, so is girlfriend. 6pm curfews here, but who the hell listens to that? I think it's fine to go looking for people that need help, but I'm trying to get more news and positioning. This isn't just a big ass eye of the storm is it?

jf DOOM

In Lakeland. Our power went out around 11 last night and is still out currently. Some trees knocked down but that's really the extent. Feeling really blessed right now.

Briarios

I survived the night, and we never lost power for more than 30 seconds -- but a huge tree came down towards my house in the backyard, and I can't really tell if there is damage to the structure because there is a tree there. I lost a very tall Bougainvillea in the front, too. Neighborhood looks pretty good. I saw a fence down and a mailbox post snapped in half, but that was the worst I could see ... except for my house, of course lol

Wensih

Power out here in Tallahassee. Other than that, everything seems ok so far.

Woke up to no power. Really need some coffee 😒. My parents in Fort Lauderdale said they got their power restored at 3AM which is extremely surprising, hopefully they work that fast up here once the storm passes.

III-V

How's the Tampa area holding up? My sister is there right now, though I don't know where exactly. The storm surge as rough as expected?

Never got flooding, minimal damage, as Irma weakened significantly from Cat 4 after landfall, and the eye tracked north after Naples and it hit Polk and Lakeland much, much harder.

Initial estimates for storm surge included Irma skirting the coast and landing with direct hot as a Cat 3. Thankfully, we did not see that.

For myself Tampa, I have a lot of limbs down, 2 or 3 large ones, there is a tree (not mine) that is blocking my road in one direction. My power went in and out many times, and flickered when it was on, but was never out for more than a minute, and I have power this morning. Limbs are still falling from trees with the occasional guests.

Oni Jazar

It's still too early to get the full details but it seems that somehow Key West was spared from destruction. The eye shifted just slightly east at the last minute putting the eastern eye wall mere miles from the island. Also too early to say but looks like flooding wasn't as bad either due to low tide. Wilma had worse flooding. Finally, there are no confirmations yet but it seems that no bridges have been destroyed or compromised! The Keys have no power, water, or cell service - information is getting out very slowly but it's been mostly good news.

Sadly other parts of the lower and middle keys weren't so lucky but Key West dodged the mother of all bullets.

Tallahassee here and still have power for the time being... knock on wood.

My backyard now has several large downed trees to go with the one in the front yard.

And can I get a fuck Napleton Infiniti? For those not around here, here's the score: FSU has 5 or 6 parking garages. These are, as you can guess, segmented with spots for faculty, students, VIPs, etc. For the storm, they were kind enough to remove the restriction.
Napleton Infiniti, a car dealership, took it upon themselves to fill the garages with their stock, so students who actually pay with tuition to be there and staff who pay out of their paycheck to park there had NO PLACE to park.

Pretty shitty thing to do.

Kusagari

I already got power back in North Lauderdale!

FPL really isn't playing this time. Definitely better than the month without power after Wilma lol.

Top Bottom