• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Florida Gov. Declares State Of Emergency Over Hurricane Irma (Up: clean-up begins)

GamerSoul

Hang in there, AmyS. Sorry for your loss.

West Palm Beach here..it's been fairly quiet for an hour or two. I heard of people in the area losing power. We still have ours. Will check outside tomorrow to see if there's any real damage nearby.

Wag

My parents in Delray Beach tell me it's pretty much over, just windy.

Their power went out at 6:30pm and came back ~9:30pm. Lost their cable, still have their landline phone.

Hopefully they'll still have power in the morning.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I'm so glad our neighbor cut down their rotten tree cus that shit would've feel on their house and possibly on our cars.

Yard is full of branches right now and the worst hasn't gotten to use yet. The fucker was gonna miss us but now it's coming straight for Lake County.

theBmZ

I work at a hotel here in Gainesville. I'm staying here the next couple days with my family. We haven't lost power yet. Wonder if we will soon though.

Vestal

Gold Member
I got no power so hard to see the radar on a phone.

Did the bitch really take a NW turn a few hours ago just to fuck with tampa? Eye appears closer than what it should have been had she kept north motion....

A picture of that collapsed storm drain I talked about earlier:

XHwWoMf.jpg
It's making the most awful screeching sound. Makes me think the entire building's about to fall, even though I know it's just the storm drain.

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
The eye has just passed me. There's still very strong gusts and I expect them to continue well into morning. But I have a great sense of relief now. I can't wait until it's left the state, the sooner the better

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
All this news is encouraging. My brother's family and property are okay. He's nearby and hopefully our area, at the very least, has dodged a bullet.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
The eye has just passed me. There's still very strong gusts and I expect them to continue well into morning. But I have a great sense of relief now. I can't wait until it's left the state, the sooner the better

Same here.

That was beyond nerve racking. My heart was racing and I kept thinking that I should've just packed up and drove to NYC for the week.

Rain seems to have stopped, and now just the strong winds remain.

Just got an update from my sister in Tampa. Says she never lost power, dogs are doing fine. She’s in a concrete castle of an apartment, but wish she still decides to evacuate with us. Now we’re waiting to see how bad this storm surge might be. The numbers are a lot better than earlier predicted. Hope that new roof held up on my house too. Stay safe y’all.

Starfield

Just woke up, european here.

So the projected path of Irma went more west and became a cat 1-2 instead of the projected 3-4?

Thats good right?

Same here.

That was beyond nerve racking. My heart was racing and I kept thinking that I should've just packed up and drove to NYC for the week.

Rain seems to have stopped, and now just the strong winds remain.

Northwest Orlando here, so I still have about a half-hour or so before the worst has passed.

I just want the rain to stop so that screeching noise from the storm drain will stop. I can't even imagine what it must feel like to be living in those adjacent apartments and hearing that noise and having no idea if it's the building itself or just a storm drain.

Hammer24

Banned
A friend from Wesley Chapel just texted me:

We are in the eye of the storm right now...dead calm. Never lost power or internet, a blessing so far. More excitement to come.

Just woke up, european here.

So the projected path of Irma went more west and became a cat 1-2 instead of the projected 3-4?

Thats good right?

It actually went north for a good while before heading westward, to the point where the eye passed between Orlando and Tampa.

However, it still made landfall as either a category 4 or a strong category 3 in Marco Island (southwest Florida).

Sorry I'm a little out of touch living in another country, but going by the title, the hurricane is losing power? Has it hit Florida yet? I mean, from a cat 5 to a 2 is still a good thing.

Sorry I'm a little out of touch living in another country, but going by the title, the hurricane is losing power? Has it hit Florida yet? I mean, from a cat 5 to a 2 is still a good thing.

It hit Florida yesterday. The beast is still in Florida. Is actually passing by me at the moment.

DNAbro

I should probably try to sleep. It hasn't fully hit us so I'm a bit anxious. Very worried about the sheer amount of tall trees where I live.

NimbusD

GAF, I have had the worst week and a half of my life.

My mom passed away from liver failure on August 31st in Bradenton Florida. I was there with her for a few days with my aunt before she died. My brother flew in the next day. We took some time to go drive down to Miami and the Keys to get away and drink a lot that weekend before the track of Irma was narrowed down. We stayed in Miami after we drove back from Key West and then back to Bradenton. My brother flew back to Chicago while my aunt and I tried to drive back to Chicago.

From Bradenton, our route ended up ---> Wesley Chapel FL ---> Gainesville ---> Tallahassee ---> Dothan Alabama ---> (because driving on I-75 to Atlanta was going to be a nightmare so we went west into the panhandle ) then Montgomery ---> Birmingham ---> Huntsville ---> Nashville Tenn. By then after two days on the road we couldn't drive anymore and decided to fly from Nashville to Chicago. I got home to Gurnee IL last night and slept. This evening everything started really hitting me hard -- been crying so much and, in my heart, I just can't understand anything.. My mom passing away and the exhaustion of trying to get back home has been so awful.

Florida-GAF, I hope you all stay safe and don't feel alone. I know what it's like to feel alone. May we all rebuild our lives in whatever way we need to and let us appreciate those people we have in our lives who we love, because one day they are gone.
My condolences. My mom passed away in December from breast cancer. She was relatively young and I'm still fucking devastated. This shit isn't easy and this is going to be a really rough time. I wish I had some sort of great advice, but you seem to be dealing with much more than what I had to with this hurricane on top of it. I wish you the best of luck.

Top Bottom