• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fortnite: Battle Royale |OT| 100 Players on Epic Battlegrounds

NeoRaider

Played 2 matches and it was empty and boring as fuck.
How are other players finding weapons just seconds after they land??

Takes way too long to get back in to a game if you die quick.

It wasn't too long for me last weekend. The main problem was the long wait when you're running around the island at the start. Unless it's because the servers have just come online, and it's really early in the day (well, it's quarter to 3 in the UK) and it's a weekday.

Played 2 matches and it was empty and boring as fuck.
How are other players finding weapons just seconds after they land??

Most buildings will probably have weapons in them, even if it's just a pistol. As long as you're not just dropping into a field, you should be fine.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
That's sad to hear, one of the main boons of PUBG is you can get back into another round in like 2 minutes flat. 42% on the download here, come on!

Okay, not it's not insane amount of time. It's just annoying that it doesn't do it for you.

It sends you back to player screen and you have to start all over instead of a continuous player list/game loop.

Quick tip. Switch to the pickaxe and spam grab all ammoresources first. You can't accidentally grab a gun while holding the pickaxe, so this will make looting a lot easier. After you quickly clear all that stuff out, you can choose to loot weapons or leave them.

Woah, would have been nice to know a week ago, another tip for anyone starting today, there are little boxes with ammo scattered around the map, they are easy to miss.

JDB

Banned
I can see this becoming pretty popular. It also feels more of a threat to H1Z1 than PUBG. It's way more similar to the former.

Blam

I can see this becoming pretty popular. It also feels more of a threat to H1Z1 than PUBG. It's way more similar to the former.

I miss H1Z1 honestly. I actually liked the atmosphere of the map in that much more then I do PUBG. The bombing runs were something I loved driving through.

Can't you use cars?

You can't, but in my experience you shouldn't ever need to. The map is pretty small, and I've never had a situation where I couldn't make it to the next circle unless I wasn't paying attention or got involved in a long fight which distracted me.

I think they'll add some kind of vehicular transpiration in the future... but I don't think it's necessary.

Bummer, since the distances are quite large IMO

I think they look larger than they really are. You have the timer for the next circle, and then another timer for when the circle will be fully closed. And that has always been plenty of time unless I'm just not paying attention. Usually I have time to loot stuff on the way to the next circle.

arimanius

Bummer, since the distances are quite large IMO

The map isn't really that big. Specially compared to PUBG. I actually don't think they need to add vehicles. I never get into a situation where I feel like I'm doing nothing but running like I have in PUBG.

Played like 2 matches. First match died due to being unable to find a weapon and landing in a populated area. 2nd match found a weapon but it was a sniper and I was indoors. Game seems like it could be good fun. Surpringsly runs quite well. Can get into matches with relative ease and haven't noticed any glaring tech issues.

Redders

Looking forward to getting into this later, managed to get a few friends to download it so can have a squad going. Brother is getting a headstart from me as he's "working" from home today :(

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
Not feeling the health/hit detection in this game.

I'm blowing people away, to only have them turn around and kill me with 2 shots.

It's pretty bad.

The map isn't really that big. Specially compared to PUBG. I actually don't think they need to add vehicles. I never get into a situation where I feel like I'm doing nothing but running like I have in PUBG.

I've actually worked out how far on the map I can run in 1 minute if I follow the line. That's helped me gauge how far I can go in the time I have allotted, and I'll usually try and loot stuff until I absolutely have to go.

Played like 2 matches. First match died due to being unable to find a weapon and landing in a populated area. 2nd match found a weapon but it was a sniper and I was indoors. Game seems like it could be good fun. Surpringsly runs quite well. Can get into matches with relative ease and haven't noticed any glaring tech issues.

For my first few games, I tried to land far away from the boss (gliding mostly with the umbrella), and landing at random houses. Just to get a feel for things. Now I can usually land at Greasy Grove and come out alive since I know where the chests and good weapons are in general.

Not feeling the health/hit detection in this game.

I'm blowing people away, to only have them turn around and kill me with 2 shots.

It's pretty bad.

I dunno. I can consistently win fights. Are you maybe hitting people with shields? (blue damage instead of white).

There are head shots in this game and they do count for a lot. If someone's headshotting you, that would also explain it.

Also helps to realize that all guns are hitscan except the sniper, but most guns aren't perfectly accurate in order to balance that. The tracers are just tracers and not the actual projectiles.

So played a few rounds, here a few thoughts.

- It runs great on PS4 Pro and looks good
- How can I mark something on the map??
- Keyboard and mouse is officially supported on PS4
- You die way, way too fast. Loot better weapons doesn't make much sense when the opponents, or I, die in 2 seconds anyway
- Building is weird and still doesn't make much sense to me, I down a stone wall with 2 shots, what's the purpose then?
- It feels like a very very early alpha cause, like in PUBG, there isn't even a simple level or progression system in it. Which sucks... Oh and that you get some random character to play and doesn't have any character system at all here also feels like I'm playing an alpha.
- Sometimes the music in the bus is very buggy.

That fast dying can get annoying very fast. Don't how long the fun holds up here. At least in solo mode.

NeoRaider

Everything looks kinda... unfinished to me.
Idk. i was expecting something more polished and better. Also performance is really bad for me.

- Building is weird and still doesn't make much sense to me, I down a stone wall with 2 shots, what's the purpose then?

Building is extremely helpful and definitely takes more than 2 shots to break a wall. Even takes more than 2 shots from a purple assault rifle to break a wooden wall.

It's mostly helpful to throw up walls around you if you need to heal. Or just to fortify your position if you're trying to snipe. Using ramps to easily access locations or getting up onto a really high cliff. The uses are friggin endless, really. It's the best part about this game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
It's almost hard to believe this is on the same engine as PUBG, it runs so fucking nice, no stutter, no hitching, no massive frame rate drops and a much higher frame rate overall, it's just so smooth. And that's while on high/ultra, not very low. Hell, it doesn't even lag when dropping in, the buildings all load perfectly without the frame rate halving. Instead of bitching about Epic, Bluehole should ask them for help getting their game running like this.

Lots of people using the emergency wall tactic. I don't mind though. I have the ammo to spare to burn through it. :D

Two top 20 finishes so far. Though my last game I had some bad luck or something as I switched to SMG and closed distance in a firefight... then the SMG just wouldn't shoot. Ah well.

It's almost hard to believe this is on the same engine as PUBG, it runs so fucking nice, no stutter, no hitching, no massive frame rate drops and a much higher frame rate overall, it's just so smooth. And that's while on high/ultra, not very low. Hell, it doesn't even lag when dropping in, the buildings all load perfectly without the frame rate halving. Instead of bitching about Epic, Bluehole should ask them for help getting their game running like this.

I think the simplified art style helps. Fortnite doesn't have fields of grass to render. The trees are very simplistic. As are the buildings. It's clear to see that PUBG is a more detailed game, and that realistic aesthetic is more costly on performance. That said, they could probably do a lot to improve performance. But I imagine it's not easy, either.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Uhm.. how do you play this on PC? I just downloaded "Fortnite" using the Epic Games Launcher but it won't let me launch the game.

Top Bottom