• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 at gamescom - Spa confirmed

p3tran

Banned
That's why I'm cautios with statements picked up by gaming websites, since it seems misquoting is as usual as breathing. That and the fact that the article on the official website makes no mention of the track being laserscanned (I guess they tell him more or less what to say, so I think this should be something important to remark if it was true) are the things that bother me.

I'm very cautious too, given that if forza turns out well enough, it could take the next six months free time I have for gaming.
so yeah, you and me are both cautious. difference, me have more patience than you :)

btw that monza video.. there are some stickers on the equipment that say "smartgeometrics". I looked it up and it is a houston based company that rents laser scanning equipment or undertakes the whole job.
I dont know if any of you guys live in houston, or know this company, but for those dying to know right now whats going on, its a start.
anyways, if this crew/equipment was sent from huston to italy for two days (for monza), then maybe it is not so impossible to also have been sent from houston to ..california too (laguna) :)

SparksBCN

Neo Member
btw that monza video.. there are some stickers on the equipment that say "smartgeometrics". I looked it up and it is a houston based company that rents laser scanning equipment or undertakes the whole job.
I dont know if any of you guys live in houston, or know this company, but for those dying to know right now whats going on, its a start.

Good job!!

I'm pretty sure that it has to be for Forza. I don't know what other Microsoft racing title could be.

p3tran

Banned
Good job!!

I'm pretty sure that it has to be for Forza. I don't know what other Microsoft racing title could be.

the only way its not forza, is if the monza guys who did the video got the "microsoft" part wrong.
if it was microsoft, it is forza. no question about it.

EagleEyes

Just saw the always great video from Gamersyde-

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_forza_motorsport_5_gc_gameplay_1080p-30591_en.html

-They fixed reflections! Now they run at 60fps. That was a jarring graphical issue with the E3 build so glad they got reflections to run at 60. Mirror reflections are still 30, but I have more faith now that they'll fix it.
-Cars look nice on the track.
-Not a hint of slowdown from what I could see. Popup bugs from E3 didn't show up here either.
-That dynamic soundtrack is so dumb. So, so, so stupid. ughhhhhhhhhhhh
-Dat lens flare, tone it down a bit!
-Laguna Seca was never a looker to begin with so I guess it's not fair to critique the environment detail. Need to see something like Spa to see how the environments are.

Overall looking better than E3! Makes me excited for GT6 on PS4. Good show, Turn 10.
You are awesome Chubs lol. Give Forza 5 a little positivity and then angle it toward something playstation related. Hilarious.

I see they (Smartgeometrics) have recent scans of Yas Marina, and Pacific Raceways (unlikely FM inclusion) on their youtube channel. Long Beach on their Facebook page. April 2013 scan, so not iRacing's.

eso76

I see they (Smartgeometrics) have recent scans of Yas Marina, and Pacific Raceways (unlikely FM inclusion) on their youtube channel. Long Beach on their Facebook page. April 2013 scan, so not iRacing's.

from the menu pics people indeed identified long beach in fm5

p3tran

Banned
Well I'm not getting a XB1 but if I was I'd pick up Forza. :D

well, the only reason I am picking up a xbone day 1 after ms fiasco is forza.
:D

[parenthesis]
also, you are right even if in wrong topic, if polyphony dont drag their asses for years and quickly churn out a gt prologue on ps4, lets say next spring, that would be indeed great. 8)
I cant help but believe that if t10 was gimped once by 360 h/w and choices (no hdd for example or tight schedules), polyphony was gimped at least thrice (mouthpiece of ken early on, locked themselves to produce in 1080, stupidly strange h/w etc)
So, I expect great things from them, too. hopefully i'll live long enough to check it out :D
[/parenthesis]

LeBoef

The track is outdated, missing all the work that was done to it in 2005 when MotoGP arrived there (Extended runoff at turn 1, the old Media Center had to be demolished to make room and a new one was built far from the circuit. The walls at the climb from Turn 6 to the Corkscrew were moved far away from the track, a spinning Mazda logo was added at the top of the scoreboard, the kerbs between turns 5 and 6 at the right side of the track were joined into a continous kerb, and a red extension was added at the inside of the kerbs), the camber at turn 5 and the entrance of the Corkscrew is wrong, and the elevation from turn 6 to the Corkscrew is wrong as well.

I would say the track has the same width, but they are using a less aggresive FOV that makes it look tighter.

Ah ok, i dont care much about the things beside the track.

But regarding the track itself:
I dont know mate, ive played so much fm and this didnt felt like the known laguna seca. It was somehow shorter and narrower. Some parts were as wide as before and drving towars the corkscrew felt different.

But again... Just impressions that i had after 5 rounds.

p3tran

Banned
ela, Helios, just come out my friend and verify them tracks. you may also wanna break that forza5 new trailer to us too :))

But regarding the track itself:
I dont know mate, ive played so much fm and this didnt felt like the known laguna seca. It was somehow shorter and narrower. Some parts were as wide as before and drving towars the corkscrew felt different.

But again... Just impressions that i had after 5 rounds.

impressions after 5 rounds of playing, beat the shit out of impressions out of an off screen video. :D

so, new physics? did you get any chance to see anything new/different?
I think I saw on the videos that when rubbing/crashing on other cars, there is not convincing loss of grip. your opinion?

I think I'm back to not knowing exactly what they've done with Laguna, lol! The outward FOV of FM5 seems to be taller, and narrower despite the cockpit staying roughly the same. I'm having a hard time deciding if it's corrected perspective or modified track. The old barrier placement stuff still stands though. That's all incorrect.

p3tran

Banned
I think I'm back to not knowing exactly what they've done with Laguna, lol! The outward FOV of FM5 seems to be taller, and narrower despite the cockpit staying roughly the same. I'm having a hard time deciding if it's corrected perspective or modified track. The old barrier placement stuff still stands though. That's all incorrect.

well, dont break your head, pretty soon we'll have infos.

in my opinion though, having watched the blim video a couple of times, tis pretty clear I see many new elements, be the large video walls around the track, the placement of sand pits outside the dirt, tents, people, different and more trees, differences in the curbs and lane stuff etc.

I guess you have downloaded blim's vids, so try playing the blim focus st one against these two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kslCZaCNQ1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCqluP51B8

;)

eso76

By the way, searching for videos of laserscanning I found this: http://monzarace.tv/en/Yzy8MvE/Autodromo/videogame-of-monza-a-laser-scanner-on-the-monza-track

They talk about a Microsoft team laserscanning Monza for an upcoming game that they can't say it's name. Could we be getting Monza in Forza 5?

well, fuck, how did i miss this.
vid states in mid june Microsoft had guys laser scanning monza for inclusion in a next gen racing simulator which will be available later this year.
They can't reveal the name of the game (but the video keeps showing is FM4) lol

They mention Microsoft and 'guys from texas' several times.

Btw, scanning a track in mid june for inclusion in a game launching november ? i thought it would take longer.

And btw, if i owned a track i would do the laser scanning myself and sell the data to devs myself.
How many times do we need to have to have tracks scanned ? 100% accurate means exactly the same track across all games

Surely someone can knock together a comparison between 4 and 5's Laguna Seca.

To me they look very similar, how close they are to the real thing I have no idea.

The possibility of Monza in FM5 is nothing but good news. As far as Italian circuits go, I've always preferred Imola, but hey, a new track is a new track.

Is it of any significance that one of the techs in the Monza video had a GPS backpack rig similar to the one Turn 10 used in the making of FM4's Hockenheim? As someone who is hardly an expert in the laser-scanning process, I would have thought it would make walking the track with a GPS unit redundant.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
And btw, if i owned a track i would do the laser scanning myself and sell the data to devs myself.
How many times do we need to have to have tracks scanned ? 100% accurate means exactly the same track across all games

The track owners don't care.

However, you could set up a company that goes around to all the main circuits, laser scans them and clears the rights, and then license them out to game developers. Could be some decent money in that (and some fun)

well, dont break your head, pretty soon we'll have infos.

in my opinion though, having watched the blim video a couple of times, tis pretty clear I see many new elements, be the large video walls around the track, the placement of sand pits outside the dirt, tents, people, different and more trees, differences in the curbs and lane stuff etc.

I guess you have downloaded blim's vids, so try playing the blim focus st one against these two:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kslCZaCNQ1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFCqluP51B8

;)

Oh, I know that stuff's changed, but that's nothing. Most of that is semi-fictional anyway.

MoneyHats

Banned
Holy ****

Watch the video and pay attention to the dashboard in particular, that's some pretty damn impressive lighting and shadow work considering all the talk about "Baked Lighting".

Mascot

Ditto with car models. It always strikes me as a colossal waste of resources when different developers are all modelling the same cars from scratch.

Track DLC?
Noooo, Mascot would commit ritual scarification.

Don't think it'll happen. Track DLC is what all fans want, but we'll get monthly car packs for two years instead.

derFeef

Turn10 we need a direct feed video.

Best put it on facebook with horrible compression so that we can not see shit, but still say it looks like real life and has amazing detail.

saladine1

Turn10 we need a direct feed video.

Best put it on facebook with horrible compression so that we can not see shit, but still say it looks like real life and has amazing detail.

lol

That has to be the biggest farce yet seen here on GAF.
I think people need their eyes checked.

However, it's good to see Driveclub get good positive feedback finally. As fans of driving games, we should want all devs who delve into this genre to succeed..

Anyway, did anyone notice that there is audible shifting in the cockpit?
A very nice touch.

Xanadu

Banned
lol

However, it's good to see Driveclub get good positive feedback finally. As fans of driving games, we should want all devs who delve into this genre to succeed..

Anyway, did anyone notice that there is audible shifting in the cockpit?
A very nice touch.
remember the click from forza 2 lol

ShamePain

Banned
The timing of the animation is a lot better, too.

Maybe this time it's an actual animation like in GT/PCars and not just sticking his hand out like in previous Forzas. I seriously doubt they did the leg animations though, too lazy for that. But hey, at least the driver doesn't look like N64 model anymore.

123rl

Hoping that the bloom is toned down this time. Laguna Seca was bordering on unplayable due to the bloom effect

eso76

Maybe this time it's an actual animation like in GT/PCars and not just sticking his hand out like in previous Forzas. I seriously doubt they did the leg animations though, too lazy for that. But hey, at least the driver doesn't look like N64 model anymore.

In some Audi R18 vids you can see the driver's legs and i THINK i've seen them moving :p

LeBoef

impressions after 5 rounds of playing, beat the shit out of impressions out of an off screen video. :D

so, new physics? did you get any chance to see anything new/different?
I think I saw on the videos that when rubbing/crashing on other cars, there is not convincing loss of grip. your opinion?

oh hell, i am not the best one to describe impressions. but i ll give it a try.
keep in mind that i am a wheel racer and dont have a lot of pad experience.
played every round without any assists.

regarding the physics you re going to hear the same things you did with every iteration before.
cars weight transition and dampers are more noticable than before. break hard with the merc and your weight goes to the front letting the dampers work.
tires were again different and you just feel the grip more than before. you dont go straight from having grip into slipping/ oversteering. that fine line feels homehow extended. i think that bodyweight has a part of that impression, too.
of course it happens way faster to slip with the audi than the merc.

i dont know if that focus has so much power or if the understeer was exeggerated. accelerating while in turn1 pushed the car heavy over the front wheels. it felt very very natural, but as mentioned: does this car really has so much power?

i ve hit one car full force on purpose at the last corner, however i focused on visaul damage. the merc had just some scratches and informations popped up to tell me what broke. the impact itself wasnt impressive. like the stuff we already know from fm.

dont know if that talk has any useful information. in generel: the game felt authentic and took a step further towards realism.
dont know if casuals are going to have fun with it. should have tested some rounds with assists turned on.

/edit
oh and while i was waiting for the AI car to hit it i think i saw m. rossi (yes, red car) flashing the headlights. first time i noticed that and i really dont know if that is already in fm4.

lol

The latest footage isn't anything special imo.

If DC was going up against a next gen GT I doubt it would get a mention outside an official thread.

saladine1

The latest footage isn't anything special imo.

If DC was going up against a next gen GT I doubt it would get a mention outside an official thread.

Oh, I agree. I don't know what all the commotion is all about. Oh well, opinions I guess, everyone has them.

It's good to hear about the physics. Hopefully, someone can give us some wheel feedback soon..

Seanspeed

Banned
Granted I am not really a Forza expert...am I crazy for saying that this looks more like PGR than Forza?

The models
Colors
Arcadey feeling
From an art-style perspective, that's a compliment.

Not sure about this 'arcade-y feeling' though. Seems like Forza to me. At this point, I trust them with the driving model. They haven't made huge strides over the years here, but they've certainly never taken a step backwards. It will still be a sim-style racer, I have zero doubt.

saladine1

I don't know about arcadey but if it's because of the extra detail/life in and around the track then I'll take that any day over the lifelessness of FM4..

From an art-style perspective, that's a compliment.

Not sure about this 'arcade-y feeling' though. Seems like Forza to me. At this point, I trust them with the driving model. They haven't made huge strides over the years here, but they've certainly never taken a step backwards. It will still be a sim-style racer, I have zero doubt.

That's why I pointed it out as I would personally pick new PGR over Forza any day.

Maybe I am just looking for some PGR spirit floating.

Top Bottom