• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 at gamescom - Spa confirmed

ShamePain

Banned
Shit, how come there are no interviews with Dan or something? There was so much more info before FM4's launch. I wanna see what the menu looks like, what the career looks like, and all I see is freakin' random races.

eso76

That Sport series picture reminds me of the Rio Track in FM1. Could that be making a return?

that, on the other hand, certainly isn't long beach. Could be Rio indeed.

Anyway, i'm kind of worried about the development. T10 are incredibly late revealing stuff, and very tight lipped.
Gamescom demo only had 4 cars on the track (and very little to no smoke/dust).
I hope they didn't have to deal with a weaker hardware than they thought.

that, on the other hand, certainly isn't long beach. Could be Rio indeed.

Anyway, i'm kind of worried about the development. T10 are incredibly late revealing stuff, and very tight lipped.

They've said the smoke could be reduced from the reveal trailer, I'm sure they are still playing with it and expect far more than was shown at Laguna Seca.

Let them hate, we all know what it is.

It is the first law of Forza Physics

Every Turn10 action has a negative Neogaf overreaction.

Ty4on

Wondered when someone was going to post about that. That's a known bug in the gamescom demo build and something we're well aware of.

For those who are clueless (like me) here's the video it's from starting at 1.25.

From the pic it looked like everything was fine and the car was jumping, but it was on the ground. From what I can see the car is driving on top on something invisible from the lightning's point of view, but it also seems like that part of the track shouldn't be lit up with direct sunlight when the sun is so low. So raising the sun would fix that bug and make us see the track so do that (or animate sun visors :p ).

once again, I am very satisfied with the quality of hood reflections.
personally I use hood or bumper views, so this is a treat to me. 8)

not really. you can see better dc detail on blimblim's offscreen vids. or not?

That horribly compressed direct feed video is a better representation of the game then any overexposed supersampled offscreen video you're going to get.

derFeef

Sorry for dragging that in there, I did not have my coffee that time :p
I don't think there is anything wrong with what frustrates me lately on here, but that's another discussion.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
My problem is not who says it, but the media. See, I remember reading articles that supposedly quoted someone from Turn 10 saying that all cars had Autovista, or that when making a weight reduction the panels inside came off and this was reflected on the cockpit view, or whatever. Sometimes they have been complete lies, like when they said all cars were remodeled for Forza 3 with 10 times the polygons from Forza 2, yet some cars presented the same modeling errors since Forza 1 (F40, S2000 or NSX being major offenders here).

That's why I'm cautios with statements picked up by gaming websites, since it seems misquoting is as usual as breathing. That and the fact that the article on the official website makes no mention of the track being laserscanned (I guess they tell him more or less what to say, so I think this should be something important to remark if it was true) are the things that bother me.

Anyway, I don't have anything to add to this discusion. I already made my point, now the only thing I can do is wait for new tracks to be revealed and see how things turn out.

Like Laguna Seca – and all the rest of the tracks in Forza 5 – Spa will be rendered at an unprecedented level of details. Laser-scanned to sub-centimeter accuracy

8/23/2013

also nice to hear "You’ve seen Spa in games before, but you’ve never seen or driven it like this. Look forward to more on Spa in the coming weeks."

Ok well that's confirmed then.

If the track is proved to be inaccurate in it's final form they'll take a lot of shit for it.

Couple of weeks for Spa?

Should be interesting.

mrJared

Banned
Is the game still at 1080p native or upscaled from a lower res, because It was more aliased in person than I expected it to be.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
"Laser-scanned to sub-centimeter accuracy, Spa will be brought to life in the game in a way that could only be done on the Xbox One."

it has been said multiple time by multiple people. real world tracks are laser scanned.

xam3l

It talks about laser-scanning Spa but not Laguna Seca, read it carefully.
"Laser-scanned to sub-centimeter accuracy, Spa will be brought to life in the game in a way that could only be done on the Xbox One."

Will you please enlighten us?

Holy ****

Watch the video and pay attention to the dashboard in particular, that's some pretty damn impressive lighting and shadow work considering all the talk about "Baked Lighting".

Doesn't look baked to me. Looks pretty amazing. Those reflections are insane. You can see the helicopter reflecting off the hood, as well as all the balloons floating in the air.

it has been said multiple time by multiple people. real world tracks are laser scanned.

Sure it was, even in this thread...

We scanned the entire track and it goes down to sub-6mm accuracy, so it picks up little divots in the road surface, it picks up all sorts of details." This sort of faithfulness applies to both the new tracks and those brought back from older Forzas, such as the Nürburgring. "We do this for all tracks in the game. Even the ones we've shipped before we've gone back and rescanned and updated."

http://www.oxm.co.uk/60709/previews...za-motorsport-5s-tracks-make-use-of-xbox-one/

shinnn

Last night I put some time in FM4 Laguna, and I had to apologize to SparkBCN. The tarmac looks exactly the same as FM4.

The changes seem only aesthetics. But those changes are drastic.

LeBoef

Its amaz.ing that people are talking about any bullshit regarding forza, like is that shadow or that fucking tree correct, but at the same moment those people dont seem to,care about tracks and physics.
Fuck i could race around laguna seca with wookies around as long as the track is a copy of the real world and the physics trY to do the same.

Fuck those casuals talking about correct lighting in corner 7 of my anus and shit, which is irrelevant to that racing game at all

uh, no. this isnt like that laughably bad CoD ghosts screens. shadows line up fine.

i fully expect you to post that prague screen with all the ms paint red drawing over it that supposedly shows how wrong it is.... dont let me down!

You mean the ones that show how the baked shadows are pasted on TOP of the cars?

In fact, here, I won't let you down.
cW7hU9F.jpg

xvHPXA9.jpg

Wondered when someone was going to post about that. That's a known bug in the gamescom demo build and something we're well aware of.

A known bug? You mean the shadows the cars casting being the only shadows that actually cast at an angle?

Or are you referring to something else? I'm not sure what exactly I'm looking at here.

Its amaz.ing that people are talking about any bullshit regarding forza, like is that shadow or that fucking tree correct, but at the same moment those people dont seem to,care about tracks and physics.
Fuck i could race around laguna seca with wookies around as long as the track is a copy of the real world and the physics trY to do the same.

Fuck those casuals talking about correct lighting in corner 7 of my anus and shit, which is irrelevant to that racing game at all

I don't think you've been in this thread long enough then to make such a comment. People have commented on things like steering wheel options and a more sim focused game. Both are things that seem to be of little concern for Turn 10. At least for their first next gen launch.

I'd say that less than 5 people in this thread have touched the game. So judging physics is impossible. We haven't got any real "impressions" either. People have shown excitement for laser scanned tracks, but as most have already said. It'll go to waste if they start trying to force feed us a new expensive wheel exclusively for Xbox One.

There are a lot of comments and trains of discussion going on here, but once someone switches it to graphics (which is by far one of the easiest things to comment on right now) then it's all about trying to discredit anyone that has brought it up as casual.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

I know by bug you mean complete disconnect between the environment shadowing and car shadowing. Something that was carried over directly from FM4 and will continue to remain in the game until a real time lighting engine (even if static) is implemented.

Also, can we trouble you with info about Laguna and claimed laser scanning? It's quite obvious the track hasn't been scanned. Was the all existing tracks getting rescanned a misquote or is Laguna in the Gamescon build simply not the current post scanning build of the track or is the whole laser scanning claim BS and just marketing?

thank you, and that looks like it should.

No, it really doesn't.

p3tran

Banned

well, you know how it goes....

haters gonna hate

its not even casuals ;)

We seriously need a gif of those insane ass hood reflections in Blim's Forza video...

2:15 to 2:36 in that video seriously MUST be turned into a gif. Don't let me down gif gaf :p

For a 60fps racer at native 1080p, that's pretty damn impressive stuff. The reflections seem to be running at the same frame rate as the game itself. The helicopter, the balloons, the environment, the car just out in front of the car. Too good.

Should have shown Spa this weekend to coincide with F1.

I've got a feeling we're going to have to wait until the week leading to Rush's release before they reveal the open wheelers starting with Hunt/Lauda's.

Prove me wrong T10.

ShamePain

Banned
We seriously need a gif of those insane ass hood reflections in Blim's Forza video...

2:15 to 2:36 in that video seriously MUST be turned into a gif. Don't let me down gif gaf :p

For a 60fps racer at native 1080p, that's pretty damn impressive stuff. The reflections seem to be running at the same frame rate as the game itself. The helicopter, the balloons, the environment, the car just out in front of the car. Too good.

It's been in forza since Forza 3. Just a paste of the previous frame onto the hood. Many games do it these days.

Mascot

Until Turn 10 actually start revealing hard facts about FM5 (and I don't think they can right now, because I don't think everything is finalised, even at this late stage) then the things that worry me are those that could be considered downgrades from FM4, ie number of cars on track, actual number of tracks, total number of cars in the game etc.

Have some of the basics been sacrificed to make a prettier game?

Since ALL cars are now Forzavista (utterly baffling use of resources to me, but hey-ho...) I'd say it's a safe bet that the total number of cars is vastly reduced from FM4. But what about the track count? This is where a racing driving car game lives or dies for me. It's what gives it legs.

saladine1

I wish we had some GIF masters in here. There's a lot of material to choose from in those videos. Imo, it looks absolutely fantastic.

We've been given a few choice quotes suggesting that Laguna has been scanned yet people who seem to be in the know, think otherwise.
I guess the only way we'll find out whether Laguna is scanned or not (and in what capacity) is if Helios let's us know directly..

Until Turn 10 actually start revealing hard facts about FM5 (and I don't think they can right now, because I don't think everything is finalised, even at this late stage) then the things that worry me are those that could be considered downgrades from FM4, ie number of cars on track, actual number of tracks, total number of cars in the game etc.

Since ALL cars are now Forzavista (utterly baffling use of resources to me, but hey-ho...) I'd say it's a safe bet that the total number of cars is vastly reduced from FM4. But what about the track count? This is where a racing driving car game lives or dies for me. It's what gives it legs.

Oh man, it'll be so interesting to see what the final car and track count will be...

p3tran

Banned

I expect 250-350 cars plus the dlc.
tracks, I expect less than f4. the key here is how many new. I can see myself spending hundrends of hours hotlapping spa in various classes for example.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

reflectionkvs7l.gif

reflection2gesvu.gif

I just noticed, the hud moves now.

saladine1

That looks so fucking good.

Are those camera flashes in the crowd?

Again man, Laguna looks so damn different. Great work Turn 10, really.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
That looks so fucking good.

Are those camera flashes in the crowd?

Again man, Laguna looks so damn different. Great work Turn 10, really.

So different yet annoyingly so similar.

Why are cameras flashing in bright daylight? :'(

It's the little things

p.s The sun glare was definitely changed since Prague. Unless of course the sun changes size on different tracks.

Top Bottom