• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 at gamescom - Spa confirmed

Mascot

Wow, those reflections look fantastic - perhaps a little too perfect from the gifs, like the bonnet (hood) is a mirror?

Are the reflections 'orange-peeled' from the paint at all? That would be insane detail if so.

p3tran

Banned
Wow, those reflections look fantastic - perhaps a little too perfect from the gifs, like the bonnet (hood) is a mirror?

Are the reflections 'orange-peeled' from the paint at all? That would be insane detail if so.
nah, gifs dont even give the beauty of these reflections, which is their perfect fluidity.

just go download all forza5 gamescom 1080/60 videos on gamersyde. enjoy 8)
and yes, I think all effects are applied to reflections, eventhough cant be 100% sure without direct feed or me controlling the camera :)

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

They aren't mirror perfect according to the video the gifs were taken from but I don't think they get the orange peel effect. That's probably autovista only and it might seem like the paint is too reflective but when viewed from a low angle such as in bonnet/in car camera, good quality paint does reflect near perfectly.

G Rom

They probably use the same trick as before for hood reflections but since the frame buffer should now be 1080p, it obviously makes everything more clear. :)

eso76

Until Turn 10 actually start revealing hard facts about FM5 (and I don't think they can right now, because I don't think everything is finalised, even at this late stage) then the things that worry me are those that could be considered downgrades from FM4, ie number of cars on track, actual number of tracks, total number of cars in the game etc.

Have some of the basics been sacrificed to make a prettier game?

Since ALL cars are now Forzavista (utterly baffling use of resources to me, but hey-ho...) I'd say it's a safe bet that the total number of cars is vastly reduced from FM4. But what about the track count? This is where a racing driving car game lives or dies for me. It's what gives it legs.

This is what worries me. The lack of decent media seems to indicate T10 isn't confident, or they are not sure what their game will actually look like when it ships, or the content it will ship with. And it's supposed to go gold in what, 2 months ?

I think autovista for all cars simply means being able to open doors and look at the interiors/cockpits, i doubt it means every car now has fully modeled engine, trunk etc. (although not a complete waste of resources, in perspective...think of the day Forza allows hood and doors to come off :p)

At least we more or less know there's Spa, Nurburgring, Laguna Seca, Long Beach (maybe) and another track with palms in it. We have evidence of Monza and Le Mans being there too. Oh yeah, Prague.
That's at least...heh..,5 new tracks.

After teasing it in FM4, FM5 should really include the Transfffgaarraarggggaraahatt, but it won't, since i am afraid T10 understood working on long tracks isn't worth it.

I fear for Positano (even the short one) since upgrading it to next gen standards could require quite some work.

Shaneus

Whoah!
So, I will finally be able to see a carburetted engine bay in all of Forzavista's glory?
I wonder if you can only open up stock cars or you can do upgraded ones as well? If they had that as a "live" thing too, we could be one step closer to my dream of seeing a super-realistic Street Rod-esque game.

Oh god, I'd kill for something like that.

eso76

BADNED actually confirmed that you could open both the trunk and the hood for all Forvista cars (i.e all cars) on Forza Central, not just doors.

well, fuck me sideways.
Hundreds of cars with their engine modeled in autovista quality is crazy. It's overkill.
So they're indeed wasting putting resources into making sure all the content developed for fm5 is pretty much definitive, between laser scanning and modeling cars.

Not the wrong approach in the long term, but will probably affect the amount of new content for FM5. On the other hand, they will never have to touch those assets again for future iterations.
I still find this very hard to believe, but I, for one, will enjoy fapping to carburators, and it will certainly come in handy when they finally give us hoods and doors that come off after crashing a few times too many :p

saladine1

I wonder if you can only open up stock cars or you can do upgraded ones as well? If they had that as a "live" thing too, we could be one step closer to my dream of seeing a super-realistic Street Rod-esque game.

Oh god, I'd kill for something like that.

I was just thinking about that.
Don't think that will happen. Although, exterior mods will be seen in Vista right?
I don't know, perhaps Forza 7..

G Rom

I doubt we'll see upgrades in Forzavista, that would be crazy (though that's the next step). I think it will be limited to stock cars.

Lucifon

I really hope this game has a demo on Day One. I don't really care enough about it to buy it, but I do want it just to show off the visuals for a couple of minutes...

Mascot

well, fuck me sideways.
Hundreds of cars with their engine modeled in autovista quality is crazy. It's overkill.
So they're indeed wasting putting resources into making sure all the content developed for fm5 is pretty much definitive, between laser scanning and modeling cars.

It's overkill even if there's only fifty cars in FM5, never mind hundreds.

Hey, maybe there's only fifty cars in FM5.

FIFTY CARS CONFIRMED!!!1

Plus hundreds more in monthly DLC packs, a snip at only 1200 Allards a pop.

Xanadu

Banned
It's overkill even if there's only fifty cars in FM5, never mind hundreds.

Hey, maybe there's only fifty cars in FM5.

FIFTY CARS CONFIRMED!!!1

Plus hundreds more in monthly DLC packs, a snip at only 1200 Allards a pop.
i hope they have more hummer variants too, maybe a drivable warthog finally?

So different yet annoyingly so similar.

Why are cameras flashing in bright daylight? :'(

It's the little things

p.s The sun glare was definitely changed since Prague. Unless of course the sun changes size on different tracks.

Smetimes you have to use flash in bright daylight because the sun creates harsh shadows and light wont bounce so you need to fill it with artificial, of course a reflector for natural light would work but you cant have that on the track. A lot of auto settings on cameras will pop it up also, this is common.

I will wait for you to tell me all of them are professionals so they should be using manual settings anyway and it breaks your immersion.

I doubt we'll see upgrades in Forzavista, that would be crazy (though that's the next step). I think it will be limited to stock cars.

I'm pretty sure DG said at E3 that Forzavista will include your personalized cars. Liveries and exterior mods included. It should be incredible.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I will wait for you to tell me all of them are professionals so they should be using manual settings anyway and it breaks your immersion.

Actually I'm going to tell you they aren't shooting towards any harsh shadows and towards objects in direct sunlight. Most (if not all) auto flash systems would turn flash off in those circumstances.

Flash makes sense in low light/no light situations...

derFeef

Actually I'm going to tell you they aren't shooting towards any harsh shadows and towards objects in direct sunlight. Most (if not all) auto flash systems would turn flash off in those circumstances.

Flash makes sense in low light/no light situations...

it's unrealistic anyway, should be all iPhones.

G Rom

Well, they have the Autovista cars already, we know they had more already done like the LP670-4 SV which weren't included in the final game. We've all seen the crazy cockpit details in most of the late FM3 DLC/FM4/FM4 DLC cars with some having the trunk already barely modeled and a photo of the real engine mapped on a polygon. We also know that Turn 10 went to find some stock old cars not only to record them but also to scan them so I would assume they have enough data for those to make them Forzavista if not at launch, at least later.
I suppose with the ALMS licence, they must have access to those cars like no other, again the FM4 crazy detailed high LOD show that.
All in all, I really think they'll be able to keep the same diversity of cars without loosing too much. I'm curious to know their DLC strategy as well. I just hope they won't up the price and/or reduce the number of cars per pack like Horizon and put it on the fact that all the cars are Forzavista. (Hint : they will do exactly that)

I'm pretty sure I called for all cars to be Autovista in later FM titles back when we discovered the cockpit trick BTW. :p

Shaneus

lol, hundreds of cars in autovista quality is crazy (and something i won't believe till i see) already, but this is light years beyond anyone's craziest dream,
zFdVDU9.gif

What's an Autovista?

G Rom

mobile.29insnx.jpg

Played some Horizon, I thought the garage was already looking insane with cars properly shadered but to think we'll get even more details in FM5, I just can't wait.

Game looks CLEAN.

It looks really smooth too, the one thing that always stood out to me with Forza is that its almost stylized to be super clean and have good IQ, doesnt look real but it sure is eye candy, their lighting and reflections + environments make it so I can even compare it to DriveClub its an all around different type of experience for different reasons.

Never understand beyond the console wars the fact that the two games get compared so intensely, i like both games for their own feats.

If this game lets me drive a 2013 Mustang Gt (my car) I might have to pick up a XONE in early 2014 to mess around a bit.

adelante

Dat lighting, seriously...

ukm6.png
Yeah, its quite impressive in some parts. Like in that tunnel section, you see other cars look like it's being lit by bounced sunlight, casting a yellowish hue on the body. Maybe they do have more a obvious implemention of image-based lighting this time...after touting it so goddamn much for the previous game.

Orca

It talks about laser-scanning Spa but not Laguna Seca, read it carefully.
"Laser-scanned to sub-centimeter accuracy, Spa will be brought to life in the game in a way that could only be done on the Xbox One."

Read carefully...er.

"Like Laguna Seca – and all the rest of the tracks in Forza 5 – Spa will be rendered at an unprecedented level of details. Laser-scanned to sub-centimeter accuracy,"

It's saying all tracks will receive the same attention to detail and then in the next sentence goes on to mention laser scanning Spa.

Could be seen as crafty and misleading or poorly written and confusing.

Either way there's room to wriggle out and clarify when it turns out Laguna has just had a face lift.

SparksBCN

Neo Member
Read carefully...er.

"Like Laguna Seca – and all the rest of the tracks in Forza 5 – Spa will be rendered at an unprecedented level of details. Laser-scanned to sub-centimeter accuracy,"

Yeah, er... You notice the period there, right?

Like Laguna Seca – and all the rest of the tracks in Forza 5 – Spa will be rendered at an unprecedented level of details PERIOD

Laser-scanned to sub-centimeter accuracy, Spa will be brought to life in the game in a way that could only be done on the Xbox One.

First part of the sentence talks about all the tracks being "rendered at an unprecedented level of details". Second part talks about Spa being laser-scanned. As drugstore_cowboy says, it could be seen as crafy and misleading, or poorly written and confusing. I'm sorry, but I'll stick with the first interpretation for now...

shinnn

See the topic of another racing game active in the first page.. Though: "ok.. lets see if it got improved"..

A shitstorm against Forza... lol... how surprised.

See the topic of another racing game active in the first page.. Though: "ok.. lets see if it got improved"..

Should have kept reading it to see who actually brought it up...

Also that thread has been in the first page pretty much all the time.

The fit inducing frame rate has triggered mass hysteria, but then how would you feel if as a racing game fan that arcadey shit was all you had to look forward to?

Desperate times.

Yeah mostly a comparison about graphics and yeah dc does look nice but forza 5 looks cg in some parts, i love this shot

pipa.png

What is Forza 5 using for lighting? Looks almost like ray/path tracing.

you not an arcade racing fan then? you didnt like horizon?

I was hyped for it but bored within weeks.

The novelty of a quality driving model was cool and all but the circuits forgettable and roads not exactly suited for supercars.

I still like to have a little drive now and again and the rally pack makes a nice change but the game doesn't pull me back like an FM or GT.

Top Bottom