• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 5 at gamescom - Spa confirmed

ShamePain

Banned
>_>... erm... as much as I'd take GT over Forza any day, the reflections on GT5 are bad in comparison. They are low resolution and don't even reflect other cars. Only the environment around them.

As seen from the GIF above competitors in Forza don't even reflect the environment. And in GT it uses more traditional approaches which is not bad either, as for example the environment that's lighted up by your headlight at night races is still reflected. As much as Forza 5 boasts next-gen, GT5/6 are still able to top it or remain competitive in many purely technical aspects. Just proves that Polyphony are true wizards of technology. And while I love Forza a lot and gonna buy Xbone almost exclusively for it, I also can't wait to see what Polyphony will show us when they start working on GT PS4.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
As seen from the GIF above competitors in Forza don't even reflect the environment. And in GT it uses more traditional approaches which is not bad either, as for example the environment that's lighted up by your headlight at night races is still reflected. As much as Forza 5 boasts next-gen, GT5/6 are still able to top it or remain competitive in many purely technical aspects. Just proves that Polyphony are true wizards of technology. And while I love Forza a lot and gonna buy Xbone almost exclusively for it, I also can't wait to see what Polyphony will show us when they start working on GT PS4.

The game is still quite obviously a work in progress.

I doubt they will release it without environment reflections from external views.

ShamePain

Banned
The game is still quite obviously a work in progress.

I doubt they will release it without environment reflections from external views.

Yes, I understand. They don't even know yet the amount of cars that's gonna be on the disc and how many extra will be added through the Day 1 patch. T10 is obviously under significant stress now and it's their first game on new hardware, at launch. It's just that I would've imagined that with a lot greater hardware performance they would be able to shove all the tech they've got without thinking about fps. But I guess that's not the case, they're aiming for rock-solid 60 fps and I respect that decision. FM3,4,Horizon were among if not the most framerate stable games of the past generation. Damn, I really hope they can add ToD in Forza 6, I mean it's already in the engine, come on.

Xanadu

Banned
I think endurance racing in games like this is pretty damn pointless, but I agree, it should have been easy enough to include the option to do it so people don't complain.

in games like this eh, you dont think forzas a sim?

My God. Is this really the official fuck-you-stupid-consumers answer?

Know what you can't do in online races? Pause the game.

Know what you often need to do in endurance races to answer the phone, take a piss, stretch your back or answer the doorbell? PAUSE THE FUCKING GAME.

Jesus, once again, I wonder how much game developers actually play the games they are developing.

How fucking hard would it have been to include a toggle to select whether you want/do not want endurance races in the career mode?

even the sight of endurance races intimidates old grannies i guess

Fistexe

Helios, do you know if Forza 5 will be available for download from Marketplace on Day 1? I have it pre-ordered but there might be a chance it won't get here on release day and two days of waiting will be a nightmare for me lol.

I am not Helios, but MS promised that all games will have day 1 digital versions.

p3tran

Banned
My friend Mascot has a point.

what about the guys that will use the console and games OFFLINE?
what about everyone that at some point will be offline for whatever reason?

-Lets make sure to point out that ALL OPTIONS for user created races must exist also in offline single player mode.

great games offer great user customization and flexibility. in all things possible.
and maybe with microsoft changing the always online tune, maybe some options available to the player must be re-checked just to make sure that they still are all there, under the new way the console will operate.

(*note to good chap Helios)

As seen from the GIF above competitors in Forza don't even reflect the environment.
hmm I think you have it wrong there...

Xanadu

Banned
My friend Mascot has a point.

what about the guys that will use the console and games OFFLINE?
what about everyone that at some point will be offline for whatever reason?

-Lets make sure to point out that ALL OPTIONS for user created races must exist also in offline single player mode.

great games offer great user customization and flexibility. in all things possible.
and maybe with microsoft changing the always online tune, maybe some options available to the player must be re-checked just to make sure that they still are all there, under the new way the console will operate.

hmm I think you have it wrong there...

forza-motorsport-5-game-menu-mngluy.jpg

on free play it says create a custom match, so i assume you can do offline custom matches now which is great, thats the reason i play forza 2 still on my brothers xbox and not 4, as you could play offline custom matches by choosing system link mode

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
No system link
for absolutely no reason
again it seems.

What in gods name is the reason for T10 screwing over players who want to play LAN multiplayer since FM2?

TheKayle

Banned
I know by bug you mean complete disconnect between the environment shadowing and car shadowing. Something that was carried over directly from FM4 and will continue to remain in the game until a real time lighting engine (even if static) is implemented.

Also, can we trouble you with info about Laguna and claimed laser scanning? It's quite obvious the track hasn't been scanned. Was the all existing tracks getting rescanned a misquote or is Laguna in the Gamescon build simply not the current post scanning build of the track or is the whole laser scanning claim BS and just marketing?

No, it really doesn't.

too much salt

p3tran

Banned
irqLpFxRrMDJl.gif

Look at the side of the bodywork, it's supposed to reflect the wall and the white ground stripe, but reflects some random crap and doesn't even change as the car goes.

oh, I see. its not "random crap" as you better know, but I get it..
so its like you expect that all opponent cars will have dynamic realtime reflections, and nothing below that. at 1080/60. and the realtime reflections should be at what res/framerate on the opponent cars in order to not look like shit? etc etc..
aha, reasonable expectations I should say :D
can I ask, you have this expectations for all games or only for forza?

ShamePain

Banned
so its like you expect that all opponent cars will have dynamic realtime reflections, and nothing below that. at 1080/60.

GT 5 has it, so I don't know why Xbone wouldn't be able to handle it.

so its like you expect that all opponent cars will have dynamic realtime reflections, and nothing below that. at 1080/60. and the realtime reflections should be at what res/framerate on the opponent cars in order to not look like shit? etc etc..

For the record, it's not just opponents, no car has it. And neither in GT5 ShamePain.

derFeef

GT 5 has it, so I don't know why Xbone wouldn't be able to handle it.

I don't think it's a matter of "Xbone not able to" but a matter of tech used. I am sure both games have their "game X does that, why can't game Y also do it" - different engine etc...

ShamePain

Banned
For the record, it's not just opponents, no car has it. And neither in GT5 ShamePain.

In GT5 cars reflect the environment, it's a dynamic cube map. In Forza it's a dumbed down version with generic reflection of scenery of it as seen in the GIF. The only game I've seen having full-on reflections of the environment including other cars and pedestrians is Driver: San Francisco. That game is amazing, runs at 60 fps, open-world, has the best smoke after GT5 and overall impressive.

In GT5 cars reflect the environment, it's a dynamic cube map. In Forza it's a dumbed down version with generic reflection of scenery of it as seen in the GIF. The only game I've seen having full-on reflections of the environment including other cars and pedestrians is Driver: San Francisco. That game is amazing, runs at 60 fps, open-world, has the best smoke after GT5 and overall impressive.

Exactly it's a dynamic cube map, but it's not actually realtime reflections. In Forza they mirror the screen on the hood map, and you get cars reflecting even though it's not really realtime reflections, in 3rd person view//other cars you get what seems to be a global map. In GT5 they use dynamic cube maps for all situations and all cars. Neither have actual realtime reflections.

ShamePain

Banned
You can see in this video that FM4 and GT6 have similar technique for reflections in 3rd person view, it's pretty obvious when car goes over stripes. Both have a funny bug when sideview mirrors reflect ground on the opposite side of the car. In GT all cars on track have same quality reflections, while in Forza only the player's car has it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmeNp4UUUvE

p3tran

Banned

yes, and that makes the demand that EVERY opponent car have it even more absurd.

guys, to put things in a slightly realistic frame here.. ok, we are getting new consoles, but if you understand the basics, or even have good reading and comprehension skills, its not like we are getting the powerhouses we where getting with ps2/xboxOG/360/ps3.
if you DONT understand the basics, and would like to make wet dreams about what our console games would be if run on a cray supercomputer, thats another discussion....

ShamePain

Banned
Exactly it's a dynamic cube map, but it's not actually realtime reflections. In Forza they mirror the screen on the hood map, and you get cars reflecting even though it's not really realtime reflections, in 3rd person view//other cars you get what seems to be a global map. In GT5 they use dynamic cube maps for all situations and all cars. Neither have actual realtime reflections.

Yes, you're right, but GT's solution is better looking and a bit more accurate. Although this technique especially show's it's limits in cockpit view when the environment is reflected on metal parts.

It seems to me that all graphical tricks to improve performance from FM4 are still present:
-30 fps mirrors
-30 fps reflections
-darkened out AIs
-simple reflections on AIs
-AI's shadows are of lower resolution than player's car
-the gamescom build has no reflections on the car in 3rd person view, the bridges and stuff aren't reflected

It's a shame really. I would love to see MS giving T10 3 full years to develop a Forza game. No more excuses, no more bullshit.

eso76

It seems to me that all graphical tricks to improve performance from FM4 are still present
-darkened out AIs

I don't think this is true, I've seen ai's cockpits clearly in a couple vids.

Now don't stone me but I think blim's bids were a little underexposed this time and with crushed blacks :p

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
My God. Is this really the official fuck-you-stupid-consumers answer?

Know what you can't do in online races? Pause the game.

Know what you often need to do in endurance races to answer the phone, take a piss, stretch your back or answer the doorbell? PAUSE THE FUCKING GAME.

Jesus, once again, I wonder how much game developers actually play the games they are developing.

How fucking hard would it have been to include a toggle to select whether you want/do not want endurance races in the career mode?

i know dan said "go online" but couldnt you just enter "single race" (assuming its still there and set it up that way? you arent online doing that and you could certainly pause.

Xanadu

Banned
i know dan said "go online" but couldnt you just enter "single race" (assuming its still there and set it up that way? you arent online doing that and you could certainly pause.

you couldnt do this in forza 3 or 4 but you never know for 5

eso76

What, you mean T10 is still not giving us a 'custom' free race mode ???
Do I still have to set up fake multiplayer races with 11/15 whatever ai cars ?

T10, this is inexcusable. This is ridiculous.

ShamePain

Banned
It's a shame really. I would love to see MS giving T10 3 full years to develop a Forza game. No more excuses, no more bullshit.

Don't worry, while T10 isn't the most technologically competent studio out there, Playground Games certainly is. They will deliver next year with Forza Horizon 2 with ToD and weather, I'm sure.

Seanspeed

Banned
Some of you guys have some seriously high standards for these graphic effects. I would never notice any of this stuff y'all are talking about if not for it being pointed out to me. And even then, it goes completely unnoticed again once I'm playing.

Don't worry, while T10 isn't the most technologically competent studio out there, Playground Games certainly is. They will deliver next year with Forza Horizon 2 with ToD and weather, I'm sure.
Well that doesn't help people who want to play Forza Motorsport does it? :/

I mean, if graphics are your main concern, there's always Crysis 3.

op_ivy

What, you mean T10 is still not giving us a 'custom' free race mode ???
Do I still have to set up fake multiplayer races with 11/15 whatever ai cars ?

T10, this is inexcusable. This is ridiculous.

jog my memory, i may have used the mode once, how does free race work? cant you chose the track/laps/opponents/etc?

Xanadu

Banned
Some of you guys have some seriously high standards for these graphic effects. I would never notice any of this stuff y'all are talking about if not for it being pointed out to me. And even then, it goes completely unnoticed again once I'm playing.

some people have higher standards i guess

jog my memory, i may have used the mode once, how does free race work? cant you chose the track/laps/opponents/etc?

in 4 you can choose the track, cant remember about laps but you cannot choose AI difficulty or any of the opponents, its a joke

ShamePain

Banned

What's the point of next-gen then? Simply higher resolution? Could've just shoved more RAM/VRAM with exact same hardware as before and get it that way. New generation implies significant advances in graphics/gameplay, otherwise there's really no point.

ShamePain

Banned

Well that doesn't help people who want to play Forza Motorsport does it? :/

I mean, if graphics are your main concern, there's always Crysis 3.

Crysis 3 doesn't have cars.)

op_ivy

some people have higher standards i guess

in 4 you can choose the track, cant remember about laps but you cannot choose AI difficulty or any of the opponents, its a joke

oh, its literally quick race then? select a car and off you go? that is lame.

op_ivy

I think its less about standards and more about priorities. I don't tend to notice little things if its something I don't consider important.

come on man, stop sucking up to turn 10! surely the fact that onlookers use flash bulbs in the stands during the middle of the day will ruin racing forever. we must let turn 10 know that we wont stand for it!

Xanadu

Banned
I think its less about standards and more about priorities. I don't tend to notice little things if its something I don't consider important.

i think people expected a huge leap in graphics over 4 and fixing the out dated engine stuff like dynamic lighting and such. i'm not a huge graphics whore so i dont mind too much but i cant wait to see what forza 6 and GT7 can do, i assume much better

Seanspeed

Banned
Crysis 3 doesn't have cars.)
So is that all you desire in a game? Cars with perfect reflections?

I'm not excusing Turn 10 here or anything, just amazed how nitpicky you guys get about things that don't tend to matter too much.

With the custom race thing, that's a complaint I can get behind. Seems entirely unnecessary to keep that sort of feature behind the 'online' barrier, where even if you have paid to use it, you're still unable to use many single-player features like pause and rewind.

I want to say that they do it on purpose for incentive to buy Gold, but I don't think most Gold users even know about it as its a completely unadvertised feature.

ShamePain

Banned
i think people expected a huge leap in graphics over 4 and fixing the out dated engine stuff like dynamic lighting and such. i'm not a huge graphics whore so i dont mind too much but i cant wait to see what forza 6 and GT7 can do, i assume much better

But seriously, at this point it's not even funny. Dynamic lighting IS in the engine, yet they don't use it. What's the point of having the best vehicle models in the industry and ruining them with a shitty graphics engine?
And GT7 will sure blow us away, since GT6 in many cases is more technologically advanced than FM5. The only thing FM5 has over it is windscreen reflections and balloons in the sky.

Seanspeed

Banned
I'd say that the game still looks quite a leap over FM4 when I see the gameplay videos and everything. Certainly wouldn't ever mistake it for current-gen.

LeBoef

I'm not excusing Turn 10 here or anything, just amazed how nitpicky you guys get about things that don't tend to matter too much.

yeah agreed... some care more about any graphical gimmick crap than physics and game mechanics, which should be the most important part.
reflections and shadows are the current penis size comparison between racing games. but surely not the gameplay itself!

i think its the greatest honour for a dev, if people tend to nitpick at that bullshit. seems like the rest is made great, since they cant complain about the other features.

ShapeGSX

come on man, stop sucking up to turn 10! surely the fact that onlookers use flash bulbs in the stands during the middle of the day will ruin racing forever. we must let turn 10 know that we wont stand for it!

Frankly, flashes don't do crap at night when you are so far from the thing you are photographing. But you still see them getting used all the time in the stands at sports events because people are photography idiots. :) Turn 10 is just being realistic.

ShamePain

Banned
yeah agreed... some care more about any graphical gimmick crap than physics and game mechanics, which should be the most important part.
reflections and shadows are the current penis size comparison between racing games. but surely not the gameplay itself!

i think its the greatest honour for a dev, if people tend to nitpick at that bullshit. seems like the rest is made great, since they cant complain about the other features.

Maybe that's because all the other features have been the same since the first game in the series.

Caddle

Its like people want turn 10 to throw every technique into forza, frame rate be damn. Don't listen to these idiots, performance before everything else.

Gueras

Banned
the game has ONE BIG Problem

5th entrance on this franchise, new gen and still NO WEATHER EFFECTS...

Last gen they blame xbox360, so now what?

ShamePain

Banned
Its like people want turn 10 to throw every technique into forza, frame rate be damn. Don't listen to these idiots, performance before everything else.

If current-gen can do these techniques at 60 fps then there's not a single excuse for next-gen not having them.

the game has ONE BIG Problem

5th entrance on this franchise, new gen and still NO WEATHER EFFECTS...

Last gen they blame xbox360, so now what?

It isn't a priority for them? Because surely you don't think the Xbox One can't handle weather effects in a racer...

Gueras

Banned
It isn't a priority for them? Because surely you don't think the Xbox One can't handle weather effects in a racer...

IT MUST be a priority for them...

come one man 2013... no weather effects?

it's boring to race everytime on a static weather...

The problem is simples, All forza games were rushed... and this will be the same...

p3tran

Banned
yeap, its trollday alright. (also a little bit boring, like static weather on a simracer)
just the gif of yoshida sleeping in front of forza footage is missing, and we can call it a day
:)

Top Bottom