• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fox News:Bernie Sanders and Planned Parenthood are the most popular things in America

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, I think they're pretty neat. It's cool if the polls agree too.

Sanders is a cool dude. It's a shame that so many have a "you'r either with us or against us" mentality when it comes to something as important as politics.

Bernie's package is still DOA. It is becoming increasingly clear that Democrats lost the election not because of economic populism but by plain old racism and sexism (to a lesser extent).

What we need is someone like Obama: a minority candidate that can talk about economic populism. Or a white candidate that can talk about embracing our diversity. Not an old white dude that only talks about economic populism. Essentially a millennial Sanders.

aeolist

Banned
Bernie's package is still DOA. It is becoming increasingly clear that Democrats lost the election not because of economic populism but by plain old racism and sexism (to a lesser extent).

What we need is someone like Obama: a minority candidate that can talk about economic populism or a white candidate that can talk about embracing our diversity. Not an old white dude that only talks about economic populism. Essentially a millennial Sanders.

sanders doesn't only talk about economics, that's just what stands out most because other democrats won't touch the issue with a ten foot pole.

and the democrats lost last year because they failed to excite their base, trump voters were by and large just the standard republican vote. yes, the fact that he won in the primary versus the rest of the republican pack is indicative of that party's endemic racism and sexism, but we knew that already. dems need to give their voters a reason to turn out in every state, not just california and new york, and economic populism is the way to do that.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

What we need is someone like Obama: a minority candidate that can talk about economic populism. Or a white candidate that can talk about embracing our diversity. Not an old white dude that only talks about economic populism. Essentially a millennial Sanders.

Kinda shitty that you guys are still clinging to this misrepresentation. This has, really, never been true. If you watched any Bernie Sanders rally/speech during the campaign and came away thinking "why doesn't he talk about social issues?!" you were either deaf or sleeping.

Yeah, Trump benefits in a bigly way from racism and sexism. The republicans have that constituency on lock anyways. The goal isn't to convince every single Trump voter to switch sides. The goal is to offer an option enticing enough to get enough non-voters and, maybe, some Trump voters, to consider a (D) vote. If we're going to consider every single person who didn't vote Hillary too racist/sexist to be engaged with, including non-voters, then we might as well just let Republicans keep the country we just handed over to them.

The YouGov data shows Corbyn as having been steady for about two years, except for a decline in from June-August 2016, and a steady rise since then.

What nosedive are you talking about? Are you including the one-month spike of low-n data?

Oh shit you're totally right. Spike before the election, that depressed after, cus he lost. I've edited, my bad, I should be way more careful. My disdain for the dude can blind me.

So yeah Sanders really ain't comparable. Hopefully he can do a good job of energising people for future elections cus that's what the democrats really need.

Boney

Banned
As long as his faculties are still as sharp as they are now, than he's never too old to run. Hell, he's in better shape than both Hillary and Trump.

tumblr_inline_o9z1m4ykAy1s48u4s_500.gif

guek

Banned
sanders doesn't only talk about economics, that's just what stands out most because other democrats won't touch the issue with a ten foot pole.

It's weird that so few here noticed when he was rallying with the Standing Rock Sioux for clean water or his many statements on healthcare these last few weeks or all the times he's spoken about education...

He does tend circle back around to taxing billionaires and corporations their fair share but even then, he gets accused of having no way to pay for any of his proposals all the time.

One of the things I will say in criticism of Sanders is that, while I don't believe for a second that he's the class-first, minorities-last leftist his detractors would have you believe, he doesn't speak the language of intersectionality very fluently and is prone to wording things inartfully in a way that makes him particularly prone to such misrepresentation.

I.E., the "identity politics" brouhaha from a few months back - I agree almost completely with the actual substance of his comments, but the fact is, if you use that phrase in any sort of negative context, people are going to paint you as calling for throwing minorities and "their" issues under the bus. And not without reason, because that's by far the most common sort of context in which "identity politics" is used negatively.

dems need to give their voters a reason to turn out in every state, not just california and new york, and economic populism is the way to do that.

If that were true, the economic populists wouldn't have gotten creamed across the board. More people in Wisconsin voted for a candidate who didn't campaign there at all than they did the economic populist. Bernie's own state chose a Republican over an economic populist. The voters you're talking about are not the base and didn't turn up in large enough numbers to get any of their preferred candidates into office.

It was a choice between racism and neoliberalism. Given those options, America is always going to go with racism. But George Wallace got crushed decades ago, when America was certainly not a bastion of tolerance. People will vote against a racist candidate if given a viable alternative. Sadly, being "not racist" is not enough of an alternative for 30 percent of the country.

The economy was the #1 issue in 2016, and STILL we have people here lambasting Bernie's vision of economic fairness for all, not just for the top 1%.

This poll simply confirms a margin we have seen between Sanders and Trump since EARLY 2016 all the way through November:

If that were true, the economic populists wouldn't have gotten creamed across the board.

Really? aside from the solidly racist 30% of voter base that STILL supports Trump in all he does, the damn economic populist on the right WON in November with the help of independents and moderates.

Nipo

Fake news. We learned people would vote for a racist and sexist if they felt he would advance their economic interests. Most people will ignore or justify just about anything if they think it will help them economically. See: Slavery.

'Economics' or 'economic anxiety' is just the new way of saying 'nigger', 'wetback' or 'chink' like what Lee Atwater said in his famous interview about Southern Strategy.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Fox killing it with the polls today: http://www.foxbusiness.com/politics...congressional-investigations-into-russia.html

Majorities of voters think Congress should investigate if Russia interfered with the election and allegations of coordination between the Trump campaign and Russia.

That’s according to the latest Fox News Poll, taken amidst a new volley of allegations of ties between Trump and Russia, and wiretapping of Trump Tower.

Sixty-six percent want a Congressional investigation into Russia’s attempts to influence the election, and 63 percent want lawmakers to look into possible connections between the Trump campaign and Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom