• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G. Kamitani replies to J. Schreier's Kotaku article on Dragon's Crown (slightly NSFW)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokyDave

depends on what you're going for

i know nobody here is going to change his or her mind so i'm really just looking to draw out the most ridiculous responses possible

so far so good

So, you're trolling?

Fair enough, that's your privilege prerogative.

Lime

No, people don't like being called sexist, misogynist, childish etc. simply because they like certain art.

You need to separate person from object. Just because e.g. some find the art design in itself in bad taste, does not mean that people liking the art are sexists or misogynists. I mean, we need to be able to talk about how some people feel negatively affected by the representation in media without people getting personally offended for liking said representation.

It's art, so you can choose to dislike it just as I can choose to like it. But once you start name calling, as many have in this thread, you're going to start pissing people off. The same thing started in the Sorceress thread when Jackson popped in and claimed that Kamitani was a misogynist because of that design.

No argument there. I'm not judging people for liking shitty art, that's their right as sentient creatures.

Dyno

I'm sorry but Kamitani is not a Deity, he deserves as much respect as the work that he puts out. His depictions of women on the game are Juvenile. He was called as such. His retort further emphasizes how he thinks.

You've ruined your argument with hyperbole. You don't have to be a deity to deserve respect from the so-called journalist community.

Said again, Jason failed in this because he was unprofessional in the execution of his job.

Metrotab

Banned
Oh, I can agree with that. These designs are pretty horrid. I mean the article was written by a 14-year old too, but still, we've got to grow up past this kind of immature art design.

Why? What's wrong with this art design that it should simply cease to exist in the future?

aeolist

Banned
i agree that, ignoring all context in terms of japanese and/or american culture, the nature of the discussion at hand, and the existence of homosexual stereotypes, the comment from the artist is not necessarily offensive

that said

some of you people should be in politics

And this is how vicious cycle of women being objectified will never end. The same way the art medium has moved away from slavery and racial discrimination, games has to move away from drawing and portraying sexualized women.

Give me a break were not the same person that said
"No woman would design a character that would sexually objectify her gender like that."
Maybe you should not talk about women should be portray.

Persona86

Banned
depends on what you're going for

i know nobody here is going to change his or her mind so i'm really just looking to draw out the most ridiculous responses possible

so far so good

get_off_your_high_horse_by_alphonus-d32kb2z.jpg

Oh, I can agree with that. These designs are pretty horrid. I mean the article was written by a 14-year old too, but still, we've got to grow up past this kind of immature art design.

Being highly stylized doesn't make it intrinsically immature.

I've been a fan of Kamitani's art since the Princess Crown days, so I'm kind of biased.

Yes, the design is pretty terrible. Those breasts don't even look attached to her body. Do people unironically find that attractive? The days of women being correctly proportioned with breasts that aren't basketballs are over. It's even more maddening the art style would be legit good if it weren't so ugly.

Laughing at this thread. Arguments going in circles for probably 500 posts more until it dies off and another misogynist implied game or artwork is found to pick against.

In the meanwhile I suggest Jason plays some Cho Aniki, it's style might probably suit him more

cho-aniki-virtual-console-20080908082949574-2548727_640w.jpg

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
[...] I disagree, I think there's a more innocent way to read it. 'Oh you don't like the way I draw women? Well here are some dudes.' I really don't think it's sinister or homophobic; just a smartass response to being publicly insulted.

I agree with this interpretation. By the way, if you look at the original art, I think those guys are standing too far apart / vertically offset for the more explicit interpretation.

Vanillaware should just put in an oppression toggle so those that enjoy the systematic subjugation of women can have their voluptuous cartoon woman and those that don't can have a lovely game where everyone is dressed sensibly.

Gravijah

Laughing at this thread. Arguments going in circles for probably 500 posts more until it dies off and another misogynist implied game or artwork is found to pick against.

In the meanwhile I suggest Jason plays some Cho Aniki, it's style might probably suit him more

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2008/09/08/cho-aniki-virtual-console-20080908082949574-2548727_640w.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Yes, another example of what homosexuality is seen as in Japanese culture.

BHK3

Banned

http://assets2.ignimgs.com/2008/09/08/cho-aniki-virtual-console-20080908082949574-2548727_640w.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-hNsZbCLkww0/Th-a-9yfItI/AAAAAAAAAJg/tbB_ymVpatY/s1600/hardgay.jpg

You need to separate person from object. Just because e.g. some find the art design in itself in bad taste, does not mean that people liking the art are sexists or misogynists. I mean, we need to be able to talk about how some people feel negatively affected by the representation in media without people getting personally offended for liking said representation.

Then people need to stop throwing around certain words (particularly when they aren't using it properly) in discussions. All that does is derail discussion or completely cause it to grind to a halt because they fear being viewed as sexist, racist, homophobe etc. if they take a stance opposed to those that just tossed out one of those words.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
I like the art,

and I can repect people not liking it, but I dont respect the faux social apocalypse people are pinning on this game. People seem to lose their shit when it comes to sex.

Sojgat

Schreier's "article" communicates it's point poorly in a needlessly insulting manner.

Kamitani's response can be seen as being either childish and stupid, or outright derogatory and offensive, depending on the viewpoint of the reader.

Kamitani seems to prove Schreier's point for him in either case, which is just depressing any way you look at it.

I really do pity people who cannot appreciate Dragon Crown's art. It's so beautifully on point for the erotic fantasy style it's trying to be. But I guess some people do have the opinion that sexuality is reserved for teenagers, and not adults.

Precisely my opinion. I tend to be annoyed by obvious pandering (prime exhibit: bayonetta's horrid art), but this is great art, sexualization and all. My guess is that Kotaku has identified the issue as a hot button (read click bait), but Jason lacks the wits to choose an actually relevant target.

Or maybe I just don't like Jason.

Not a big fan of the potentially homophobic answer, though (depending on how you read it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom