• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP OT6(66) Wu-Tang is for Asians and Weeaboos

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to bring that shit in here, but the fact that Kanye/Michael Jackson conversation was even a conversation is utterly ridiculous and embarrassingly ignorant.

I'd love some clarification on these "multiple genres" that Kanye has influenced...???

PBY

Banned
I don't want to bring that shit in here, but the fact that Kanye/Michael Jackson conversation was even a conversation is utterly ridiculous and embarrassingly ignorant.

I'd love some clarification on these "multiple genres" that Kanye has influenced...???

Plz bruh.

Kanye has had tremendous influence. 808s left its mark on so much of music.

Tokubetsu

As mere mortals, it is not our place to discuss the status of gods and demigods.
Focus on the energy inside yourself, and not the light of others.

PBY

Banned
No it didnt.

29-Camron-NP.gif

Esch

Banned
i was gonna join the ye supporters in that topic until you compared kanye to MJ. what a joke lol, only the most delusional stans would compare the two.

genuinely terrible.

codhand

i was gonna join the ye supporters in that topic until you compared kanye to MJ. what a joke lol, only the most delusional stans would compare the two.

genuinely terrible.

yeah, that's how to get all objective discussion to vacate and never return.

he did say he was gonna go HAM in thread....

Esch

Banned
no. its nothing about 'closest'. MJ and Ye have no comparisons. As performers and artists. im not even fan of either, thats just the dumbest and silliest attempt to gas up Ye ive ever seen.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
the funniest part to me was the ghost producer/writer comment. It's painstakingly obvious that ye isn't the only producer on his albums or that he doesn't write the entirety of his work, but to suggest most of his songs aren't his own is such a stupid thing to assert. I mean how many albums ago did he state in a song that he might "bounce ideas"? his lyrics are far to corny to be written by anyone other than him. shit, the only song I can't give anyone flak over is gorgeous and that song is still filled with classic kanye cornball lyrics.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
still fuckin ludicrous.
Not really. I think it's pretty obvious MJ has accomplished much more in every respect than Ye. It's just Ye is relatively the closest thing since. People were saying Kanye hasn't done shit and has nothing to his name in music than 808s. I would like to see someone argue otherwise, but it seems like no one has anything besides "HOW DARE YOU SAY MJs NAME IN THE SAME SENTENCE AS KANYE," which I guess would be blasphemous if people weren't arguing logical points, which is what's happening there.

GAF-Hop has been over this a trillion times [too many].

thabiz

Not really. I think it's pretty obvious MJ has accomplished much more in every respect than Ye. It's just Ye is relatively the closest thing since. People were saying Kanye hasn't done shit and has nothing to his name in music than 808s. I would like to see someone argue otherwise, but it seems like no one has anything besides "HOW DARE YOU SAY MJs NAME IN THE SAME SENTENCE AS KANYE," which I guess would be blasphemous if people weren't arguing logical points, which is what's happening there.

GAF-Hop has been over this a trillion times [too many].

How are you comparing them though. It cant be records sales, popularity, influence, talent, etc.

In what way is Kayne close to MJ?

Esch

Banned
literally the only things they have in common are that theyre controversial black artists. there are no correlations between the two in terms of music, stage performances, artistic vision, lyricism, anything. Just stop.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
of course ye isn't anywhere near the likes of Elvis, the Beatles, mj, etc. but to say he's not an exceptional artist with undeniable amounts of talent is just silly. do you know how many autotuned sappy shit we've heard in hiphop since 808s dropped? its unprecedented how much power he has in the industry. every time he's about to drop an album everyone in rap is looking.

codhand

In no way do I think Kayne is on any level near MJ, but Kanye did help bring it back to MJ being an unquestionable God of the music biz, from his name being a rap punchline about sexual orientation.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
How are you comparing them though. It cant be records sales, popularity, influence, etc.

In what way is Kayne close to MJ?
RELATIVELY closest. Mostly in influence, which was what was in contention.

MJ is the gold standard for influence, folks said Kanye hasn't done shit, when in fact he's relatively the closest. Yeah it's a bit extreme, but the argument and the way it's supported holds weight considering what it was responding to.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
RELATIVELY closest. Mostly in influence, which was what was in contention.

MJ is the gold standard for influence, folks said Kanye hasn't done shit, when in fact he's relatively the closest. Yeah it's a bit extreme, but the argument and the way it's supported holds weight considering what it was responding to.

mj has literally influenced almost all genres. unfortunately kanye has not. sorry enzo can't co-sign.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
mj has literally influenced almost all genres. unfortunately kanye has not. sorry enzo can't co-sign.
Are you guys not reading the relatively bit at all or what? How many times does it have to be said that the magnitude of separation is irrelevant?

Of course MJ influenced all genres. I even mentioned in this thread, Kanye has influenced multiple genres too, you can't say this about many other artists period. No one said Kanye had reached MJ status.

//B1G

Banned
of course ye isn't anywhere near the likes of Elvis, the Beatles, mj, etc. but to say he's not an exceptional artist with undeniable amounts of talent is just silly. do you know how many autotuned sappy shit we've heard in hiphop since 808s dropped? its unprecedented how much power he has in the industry. every time he's about to drop an album everyone in rap is looking.

um didn't he just bite that from t pain? who also bit it? lol...

thabiz

Are you guys not reading the relatively bit at all or what? How many times does it have to be said that the magnitude of separation is irrelevant?

Of course MJ influenced all genres. I even mentioned in this thread, Kanye has influenced multiple genres too, you can't say this about many other artists period. No one said Kanye had reached MJ status.

So Kayne has more influence in rap than say Rakim, KRS, Chuck D, RZA, etc?

There are far bigger names in rap that have influenced far more than Kayne. And yes, across all genres.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
um didn't he just bite that from t pain? who also bit it? lol...
idk but irregardless, quotes can't apply to someone else? he obviously said it for a reason. besides the next line is "only I could come up with some shit like this" ...again, corny.

lies and deceit.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So Kayne has more influence in rap than say Rakim, KRS, Chuck D, etc?

There are far bigger names in rap that have influenced far more than Kayne. And yes, across all genres.
I would argue that Public Enemy and NWA didn't have as much influence as Kanye did on other genres. I can see an argument being made for pop culture, but musically, I think they were more self-contained and styles didn't bleed into other genres as much. Kanye's crossover effects are greater. Post-Kanye, Rap + other genre collaborations have skyrocketed and been at an all-time high.

Rakim and KRS definitely not. Within rap? Arguable, especially considering they came before so their influence is even clearer.

Esch

Banned
its like when youre in class and some kid raises his hand and says something really stupid, and everyone is like wtf, the teacher dismisses it and tries to move on but the kid keeps talking and trying to prove his point while everyones faces are buried in their hands

RJT

Somewhat of a tangent, but y'all should the "This American Life" episodes about violence in Chicago schools (GAF Thread about it). I feel it's very relevant for the Chief Keef discussion that we have here every now and then.

//B1G

Banned
idk but irregardless, quotes can't apply to someone else? he obviously said it for a reason. besides the next line is "only I could come up with some shit like this" ...again, corny.
idk what you're talking about dude but i was referring to you talking about him using autotune. but i'm not sure what you say holds any weight because you also say he has an 'unprecedented power in the industry' which obviously isn't even remotely correct. sooo uh, yeah. i'll just keep moving because this conversation doesn't interest me in the slightest.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
its like when youre in class and some kid raises his hand and says something really stupid, and everyone is like wtf, the teacher dismisses it and tries to move on but the kid keeps talking and trying to prove his point while everyones faces are buried in their hands
Or when the teacher insists evolution doens't exist because Cthulu says so, and won't have any of your fancy schmancy logical reasoning because relying on fallacies is so much easier.

thabiz

I would argue that Public Enemy and NWA didn't have as much influence as Kanye did on other genres.

Those groups crossed lines and basically created the mid late 90's music scene. Everyone listened to PE and NWA. EVERYONE. To stay they didnt influence is crazy. Kayne cant come close to the impact felt by those landmark records. CB4, Boyz n the Hood. I dont see any movies being made about Yezzy.

codhand

Grandpa West:
After five hours in which Kim charmed him last autumn [Grandpa determined- that the pair should be in no rush to tie the proverbial knot.

“Maybe they could have a successful marriage, but I’m not going to spend time worrying if they’re going to make it or not,” Williams said.

But if Kayne ever gets around to popping the question, would he go? “No, I don’t do weddings,” he quipped. “I don’t like weddings… You spend a lot of money, then in a few weeks, you’re separated!”

EloquentM

aka Mannny
idk what you're talking about dude but i was referring to you talking about him using autotune. but i'm not sure what you say holds any weight because you also say he has an 'unprecedented power in the industry' which obviously isn't even remotely correct. sooo uh, yeah. i'll just keep moving because this conversation doesn't interest me in the slightest.
so ye doesn't have unequaled power in the hiphop community?

'krs already made an album called the blueprint'

right right.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Those groups crossed lines and basically created the mid late 90's music scene. Everyone listened to PE and NWA. EVERYONE. To stay the didnt influence is crazy.
Examples of their influence in other genres?

My impression was that it was huge and incredibly popular because there's was nothing quite like it before, nor as accessible to as many people as it was at the time, but it didn't really change or alter the path of other genres the way, say, Kanye specifically did with pop. A lot of the stuff they were talking about was sort-of done decades before in various rock subgenres, it was just the unique perspective they brought, and obviously them rappity raps. Maybe this is me just being young though, but even looking back at other genres, I don't see the same stark change, and pop especially at the time was still fairly contrastive.

Esch

Banned
Or when the teacher insists evolution doens't exist because Cthulu says so, and won't have any of your fancy schmancy logical reasoning because relying on fallacies is so much easier.
That would imply some logic in your argumentation, as well as at least some qualitative or quantitative evidence. You are essentially saying that Ye is the most influential guy since MJ(among what criteria, unspecified of course). your reiterated point seems to be that his influence has been verified in the form of out of genre collaborations or praise. one could easily argue that assertion is wrong in and of itself, jay for example initiated more features and crosspollination of genre than Ye overall and earlier. you could just as well argue for artists like Public Enemy doing recording collabs with metal bands etc etc. furthermore your comparison overall is just terrible. the public and music industry have clearly not embraced Kanye in the same manner as they did MJ. not in any sense.

worse you are implying some objectivity or factuality when there is no empirical data of any kind provided. your castle is built on sand.

thabiz

Examples of their influence in other genres?

My impression was that it was huge and incredibly popular because there's was nothing quite like it before, nor as accessible to as many people as it was at the time, but it didn't really change or alter the path of other genres the way, say, Kanye specifically did with pop. A lot of the stuff they were talking about was sort-of done decades before in various rock subgenres, it was just the unique perspective they brought, and obviously them rappity raps. Maybe this is me just being young though, but even looking back at other genres, I don't see the same stark change, and pop especially at the time was still fairly contrastive.

How about the rock/rap movement which PE and DMC basically created. Dude, Kanye is no where near those guys in terms of influence on like minded artists or outside of rap.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
That would imply some logic in your argumentation, as well as at least some qualitative or quantitative evidence. You are essentially saying that Ye is the most influential guy since MJ(among what criteria, unspecified of course). your reiterated point seems to be that his influence has been verified in the form of out of genre collaborations or praise. one could easily argue that assertion is wrong in and of itself, jay for example initiated more features and crosspollination of genre than Ye overall and earlier. you could just as well argue for artists like Public Enemy doing recording collabs with metal bands etc etc. furthermore your comparison overall is just terrible. the public and music industry have clearly not embraced Kanye in the same manner as they did MJ. not in any sense.

worse ou are implying some objectivity or factuality when there is no empirical data of any kind provides. your castle is built on sand.
Well, if you read any of my posts you'd already know I specified it as being influential in sound (is there another kind of influential there that isn't periphery to the music itself?). And all your points about collabos are moot because I -again already- specified that cross-genre collabos skyrocketed after Ye burst on the scene, and his subject matter melded with that of stuff like pop enough that it spawned a generation of artists that could easily do the same and get in on that pop money. Case and point: Drake and Flo-Rida wouldn't be on every other Rihanna and Katy Perry song and vice versa if it wasn't for the foundation Kanye laid. That shit happening in 2002? Nope. Like someone else said in this thread, everyone is watching what Kanye does next, whether they hate him or like him. They know from TCD and Graduation especially that what he does may be a gamechanger implicitly like it has been in the past. And they clearly haven't embraced him because he's not as cool of a guy as MJ was, Kanye was never a child-star from the start, Kanye didn't start in a genre that had the widest appeal, etc. etc. etc.

How about the rock/rap movement which PE and DMC basically created.
This is a good point against Kanye.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom