• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q4 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

dhlt25

I hope I can see the northern lights one day :(

Had a hell of a fun time with this GT-R on the Mountain Roads in Hakone. It was a super foggy morning too and you could actually see the fog rolling in and out of the mountain. It was a pretty awesome sight to see.

1971 Nissan Skyline Hakosuka by Rapid Cancel, on Flickr

damn, what a sexy car. I wish I could own one some day

some recent stuff, I'm getting tired of the super sharp and accurate digital look so I've been trying to make my stuff look more like film recently (I do have a bunch of film cameras but the only lab in hawaii still do film is stupid expensive, $5 for a roll of 135, $7 for BW, $17!! for E6 :( and that's only the processing cost with no scan)

mini rainbow from recent hike (G4 pic)
2015-11-07 10.49.44-1 by thai tran, on Flickr

stuff I tried to make the tone similar to film

_DSC3095 by thai tran, on Flickr

_DSC2976 by thai tran, on Flickr

_DSC3116 by thai tran, on Flickr

brentech

Some shots that came out really well today. Successful trip to the park. It can be hard enough just locating a subject, let alone getting a quality shot of one.

DJ SLEV3N

Banned
My trip to Montreal recently.

22540606428_a0202345fa_b.jpg

22566754439_e3e3f54997_b.jpg

22566765339_10c7e3be75_b.jpg

22540874188_c9439d6b06_b.jpg

22970075341_5037475a96_b.jpg

dhlt25

Great picture! How do you tend to use your 135? Manual focus in the viewfinder or the live view?

I've been using the 135 exclusively through the view finder, handheld so far. I've found that in good lighting, focus is quite easy at f4 onward. It's a lot easier than my 40 and 55 to MF since it's more zoomed in. I've also found that you need a min shutter of 1/200 to get good sharpness. Of course critical sharpness can only be achieve via live view on a tripod but it's too inconvenience for my style of shooting. Even at F2 I've been able to nail more in focus shots than my sigma 85 1.4 for some reason.

I've been using the 135 exclusively through the view finder, handheld so far. I've found that in good lighting, focus is quite easy at f4 onward. It's a lot easier than my 40 and 55 to MF since it's more zoomed in. I've also found that you need a min shutter of 1/200 to get good sharpness. Of course critical sharpness can only be achieve via live view on a tripod but it's too inconvenience for my style of shooting. Even at F2 I've been able to nail more in focus shots than my sigma 85 1.4 for some reason.

Reason being that AF sucks.

Lender

I've found that when doing portraits liveview and a tripod is the easiest way. ofc you have to be willing to bring one, but I'm not bothered by it that much.

3A0A4276
by Bram Van Der Stichelen, on Flickr

3A0A4053

Also found that at F2.0 it's a challenge to take pictures of toddlers. :D You can't use a tripod, and they always tend to move a lot, which makes it quite hard to use it with the viewfinder.

Viktor - Carl Zeiss Test (Crop)

But the IQ, damn son, unreal.

dhlt25

I've found that when doing portraits liveview and a tripod is the easiest way. ofc you have to be willing to bring one, but I'm not bothered by it that much.

But the IQ, damn son, unreal.

yea, I like to move around and try different angle when I shoot portrait so tripod just slow thing down too much for me. I'll prob experiment more with that to give the lens justice but I need to get through 500 or so images from another shoot last week first :p. I'm very happy with the IQ, i think your pics were what pushed me to commit lol.

vern

Anyone got any tips for shooting in thick ass smog? Beijing is hella depressing gonna be here for a month. I found that black and white makes the sky and the haze less noticebale, but color allows for some weird contrasty shit. Won't have a ton of time to get out and shoot anyway, but if anyone has pointers for dealing with the goop in the sky, or for places to go in Beijing for photography let me know.

Beijing Wangjing Soho by Eric, on Flickr

Beijing Wangjing Soho by Eric, on Flickr

The above are the best I got so far in the brief time I've had...

Mr. Hyde

Some stuff I've done in the last week or two.

Gypsy Fascination by Tony F, on Flickr

Sara by Tony F, on Flickr

Rat Companion by Tony F, on Flickr

The Lost Disciple: The Failure Through the Looking Glass by Tony F, on Flickr

This crazy mirror one was a concept I wrote in my photojournal. It turned out pretty raw but I like the look and did not want to interfere with photoshopping it outside of color grading a bit. I have a thing for doing insane self portraits.

Outside of these and a few others, I've been doing a couple paid gigs recently which occupied a bit of my free photo time. I am working on new conceptual photos for the concept side and thinking about dabbling a bit into compositing.

Also, does anyone have experience with Smugmug? I want to set up a photo website outside of the usual social media due to a friend of mine wanting to design me a logo/business cards. I own a domain through google and I am thinking of getting a Smugmug Portfolio account due to them having their 40% off black friday deal.

Koriandrr

Where are you guys looking for black friday sales on lens and accessories? I'm only keeping an eye on amazon, but wondering if there's somewhere else to be keeping tabs on? :)

Nice! I really like the first one. Good job.
Thank you. It's definitely one of my faves. Sometimes you just look around, see something and click the shutter at the right moment. Somebody actually asked me if I asked permission to take it. Nope was just waiting on a corner waiting to cross the street and saw her putting her hat on and just got it at the right moment...luckily my auto focus was dead on.
Where are you guys looking for black friday sales on lens and accessories? I'm only keeping an eye on amazon, but wondering if there's somewhere else to be keeping tabs on? :)
Any good Nikon compatible APSC lenses rumored to be going on sale?

Boyos, how many photos can you post max? Will be posting a couple of photos from my euro trip this summer when I get home if I don't forget. I'm not a pro photographer and my camera is straight prehistoric trash, but there's some good photos in there due to the environments I am in.

brerwolfe

That's dreamy, pringles. Very well done.

@Lucky Forward, Loved the journey with the dogs-- fight, fight, fight, fight, friends.

vern

Haven't posted anything in a bit.

The first one is cool. You are getting better, or at least more selective. Third is not bad too.

Second is another one I personally would throw out lol, but if you like it then it's all good. It's your art not mine. Not sure what you are going for though or why you like it? Maybe you can let us know?

The first one is cool. You are getting better, or at least more selective. Third is not bad too.

Second is another one I personally would throw out lol, but if you like it then it's all good. It's your art not mine. Not sure what you are going for though or why you like it? Maybe you can let us know?
The second pic just screams "fuck it's cold out." Funny enough if anybody was insane enough to go through my entire flickr library they'd be able to track my improvement from the very beginning cause my god I borderline hate most of my earlier shots.

vern

The second pic just screams "fuck it's cold out." Funny enough if anybody was insane enough to go through my entire flickr library they'd be able to track my improvement from the very beginning cause my god I borderline hate most of my earlier shots.

You are definitely improving with the things you are sharing here.

Was your goal for that days shooting to get shots indicating the extreme cold? Or was it just kind of something that you saw when going through your pics at home? Maybe if you had a goal when you shoot you would have something better to indicate the cold? I mean.. yeah it looks cold, but to me that photo is boring, not composed in a particularly interesting way, and her expression is ugly. If you had a goal of shooting "the cold," maybe you would have found something more interesting? Steam somewhere? People huddling together for warmth? Homeless person super bundled up? I don't know. Just my thoughts. Start thinking about the story you want to convey with your images.

Every once and a while I go back through my Lightroom Catalog and do a quick sweep, clearing out any straight up garbage shots, and reprocessing a lot of ones where clearly I could've just done more. It's amazing the differences that just Lightroom knowledge will do, and I know there's still a lot more to learn with it for me.

You are definitely improving with the things you are sharing here.

Was your goal for that days shooting to get shots indicating the extreme cold? Or was it just kind of something that you saw when going through your pics at home? Maybe if you had a goal when you shoot you would have something better to indicate the cold? I mean.. yeah it looks cold, but to me that photo is boring, not composed in a particularly interesting way, and her expression is ugly. If you had a goal of shooting "the cold," maybe you would have found something more interesting? Steam somewhere? People huddling together for warmth? Homeless person super bundled up? I don't know. Just my thoughts. Start thinking about the story you want to convey with your images.
Those were literally shots I took while I was heading to work. I take a picture of what looks interesting to me. I don't even think I have a "goal" I just scan the area...constantly and just take a picture of something that sets off the "maybe I should take a picture of this" urge.
Every once and a while I go back through my Lightroom Catalog and do a quick sweep, clearing out any straight up garbage shots, and reprocessing a lot of ones where clearly I could've just done more. It's amazing the differences that just Lightroom knowledge will do, and I know there's still a lot more to learn with it for me.
I usually just leave them alone after I throw them up. For one thing it's time and others well, it's actually just time. I've learned more about Lightroom over the weeks and I do more than I used to I know that much. If I was to touch up everything...damn. Though there are a few I'd like to readjust, though some of those might just be JPEGS and I heard they don't get altered as well as RAW files.

vern

Those were literally shots I took while I was heading to work. I take a picture of what looks interesting to me. I don't even think I have a "goal" I just scan the area...constantly and just take a picture of something that sets off the "maybe I should take a picture of this" urge.

Alright. Then your goal is just to photography something that interests you. Photography is very personal and you can do whatever you want with it. Just giving my thoughts on your stuff and how I think you can continue to improve. I know personally my street shots improved a great deal (in my own opinion) once I started to have a goal for my shooting (though it constantly can change depending on what I find during that day) as well as thinking about composition as well.

If you are on your way to work and no time for thinking about what you are doing with regards to subject and composition then fine, just know that you can continue to improve a lot if you consider more than "I should take a picture of this."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom