• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Photography Q4 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koriandrr

vern

Those are actually pretty good. The ones I like the most are the one with the woman under an overpass thing, it creates two good long shadows that give shape the picture. I like the two people kissing as well cause the railing and tree help to frame the picture and all the snow picks, especially the close up of the person shoveling. Man that camera handles ISO way better than mine.
This might be an interesting shot to you, has some decent lines going on I would think:

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding "lines"... it's not simply "here are some lines, now my picture is interesting." Think about what the lines are doing, how they lead (or don't lead) your eyes. I want to ask you, in those two photos you just posted, tell my what you like about them? What makes them special to you? I won't tell you my opinion yet, I'm interested to know yours first.

Would you mind telling me how you took that picture/where the light trails come from?

Use a tripod + long exposure + zoom lens. Zoom in or out while you are exposing the image. I think I posted a few others in this style before, here's another anyway:

zoom zoom by Eric, on Flickr

I'm on mobile so I can't quote it properly, but that one of the old man in the snow is breathtaking. I love it.

Thanks a lot!

RayStorm

Use a tripod + long exposure + zoom lens. Zoom in or out while you are exposing the image. I think I posted a few others in this style before, here's another anyway:

I figured that might be it, but what threw me off was the lack of light trails of the letters on top of the building to the right. But I guess, now after closer inspection they might just be masked by the angle and the other letters.

Thanks for the feedback.

Regarding "lines"... it's not simply "here are some lines, now my picture is interesting." Think about what the lines are doing, how they lead (or don't lead) your eyes. I want to ask you, in those two photos you just posted, tell my what you like about them? What makes them special to you? I won't tell you my opinion yet, I'm interested to know yours first.
I like the first one cause it's actually got a good amount of visual activity. There are a couple of good angles leading you down the street, several ones before the garbage truck, a nice reflection of the people walking by in a puddle. Second one has the trees and a set of ower lines cutting a nice pattern across the sky. I probably could've framed it better but I was literally walking to my car on the way to work.

Today was portrait day with my girlfriend, first time taking portraits so critique away.
DSC_5780 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5802 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5878 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5971 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
More Here:

Other random stuff:
DSC_5990 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5979 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr
DSC_5890 by Marcus Beasley, on Flickr

Damaged

Both are good but I really love that first one. It's got this kind of wandering camera/Terry Malick look to it.

Thanks allot :)

I took those a while back but finally took the time to clean/sort/upload them.
I'm kind of a noob when it comes to taking photos so any tips are appreciated.

Chuzenji Lake, Japan

Chuzenji Pano by Christophe Robin, on Flickr

Chuzenji by Christophe Robin, on Flickr

Upper Ryuzu Waterfall by Christophe Robin, on Flickr

Todoroki Valley, Japan
Hanami in Todoroki Valley by Christophe Robin, on Flickr

Very Nice! Nikko is such a beautiful place, sadly it rained all day when I visited.

On the subject of rain I popped out to the local park in the drizzle this morning

Edit-4919 by Robb Faloon, on Flickr

Edit-4912 by Robb Faloon, on Flickr

snaffles

I finally picked up my high school dream car last week after 10+ years and found some time today to snap a few pics.

I always thought the RX-7 was really cool as well when I was in high school back in the 90s. Always liked the curved shape, and the oddity of a rotary engine seemed so unique. Looks great.

vern

So many stories in those pics. I guess you caught Shanghai on the day it decided to look like PS1 era Silent Hill.

Wasn't quite so bad, you can see blue sky in one pic. But it was kind of shit for sure. Better to just overexpose a bit (imo) and wash out "the sky" when the air is like that though.

Wasn't quite so bad, you can see blue sky in one pic. But it was kind of shit for sure. Better to just overexpose a bit (imo) and wash out "the sky" when the air is like that though.
I don't blame you. China has a cool cityscape when you can actually see the damn thing.

glad you like it!

nope, just a regular zoom lens.
to be honest, i'm not sure what a catadioptric lens is haha

(not to derail the thread, but i feel like i've seen your name before...
guild wars 2
? o_O)

Weird, kinda looks like the donut thing is kinda showing. Iunno.

And yes, though I don't think I ever use that as my in game name.

sarcastor

Are we allowed to peddle our wares here? Cause I just put up my first photo book on Blurb.com for sale. I hope this is not too NSFW.

http://www.blurb.com/b/6760092-blackandwhite

9hP0QkX.jpg

It is a bit pricey cause its 60 pages at 11x13 inches but Blurb is the cheapest I can find. Also you can use the code LASTCHANCE25 by 12/17 to save 25%. Not that I expect anyone here to buy it :)

But at least everyone here can publish their own book!

vern

Are we allowed to peddle our wares here? Cause I just put up my first photo book on Blurb.com for sale. I hope this is not too NSFW.

http://www.blurb.com/b/6760092-blackandwhite

9hP0QkX.jpg
[/URL]

It is a bit pricey cause its 60 pages at 11x13 inches but Blurb is the cheapest I can find. Also you can use the code LASTCHANCE25 by 12/17 to save 25%. Not that I expect anyone here to buy it :)

But at least everyone here can publish their own book!

Nice man, and good luck! I previewed it on that site and it looks great. Update us on sales in the future if you can... would love to get some insight on how it does for you.

3phemeral

-20C or so if I recall. Not too bad, unusually warm for this time of year :p

Lol actually had another encounter. Not as close though. These things are huge. Not used to seeing them this fequently. Reindeer are 10x more common.

How to you handle battery drain in cold temperatures? My stuff only lasts about 15-30 minutes with anything sub 15 F/-9C.

pringles

How to you handle battery drain in cold temperatures? My stuff only lasts about 15-30 minutes with anything sub 15 F/-9C.
I always have a spare battery with me. I definitely get more battery time than that though. It's actually something that keeps impressing me with the D7200, battery life is extremely good.

Where in the name of God does Pringle live? I've kind of pegged it as some place European. Makes me glad that my only issues have been idiots not wanting to be in shots. Last thing I want is running into a short bus with massive antlers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom